Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I felt like the game ended a little too soon and suddenly. Could have used some DLC planets to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought Fallen Order was real good myself. The only place I didn't like the combat was against animal type enemies whereas fighting humanoids was always fun and the lightsaber duel boss fights were excellent.

Fully agree. (Though when I replayed it I used block a lot more and apparently that's how the game wants you to handle the small animals because it was a lot easier) Big fan of Cameron Monaghan as Cal Kestis.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, I liked Fallen Order a lot too, I felt the metroidvania aspect was good and combat was actually solid on the higher difficulty settings. I played on a PS4 with a gamepad though, if that makes a difference. The story was a decent traditionally built Star Wars plot with an old trilogy feeling to it that I missed and they nailed its atmosphere, a likable crew and a protagonist with an actual character arc helped too.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have a week and a half left on my month of EA Play, but I just decided to finish the remainder with Squadron. I originally wanted to play Fallen Order, but I ended up playing way more of C&C Remastered and Mirror's Edge: Catalyst then I thought I would. So I'd rather take the shorter campaign and fly some space ships.

Also, don't play Sea of Solitude. It's a short indie game where the writer uses a rare technique called "tell, don't show". It's terrible.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

dr.acula posted:

I felt like the game ended a little too soon and suddenly. Could have used some DLC planets to explore.

I think EA is a bit shy about DLC for Star Wars games after Battlefront and I don’t blame them. I remember someone in this very thread refusing to buy Fallen Order because the exp curve was purposely slowed so you would buy experience boosters.

Those do not exist.

I’ve also seen people complaining about micro transactions in Squadrons and not buying it because of them, which, again, do not exist.

People are that hair trigger about EA and secondary purchases, I don’t think EA wants to make it worse.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya it kinda sucked seein people dismiss Squadrons out-of-hand because its a legit good game and a passion project for the dev team

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Honestly, a string of "OK" to "great if you're a fan of X thing" games priced around the 30 to 50 dollar mark would be nice and good for the industry as a whole.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Excellent news.

https://twitter.com/daedalic/status/1375203594761293825

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ya it kinda sucked seein people dismiss Squadrons out-of-hand because its a legit good game and a passion project for the dev team

I'd kill for a remake of the best Tie Fighter missions remade under the game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think EA is a bit shy about DLC for Star Wars games after Battlefront and I don’t blame them. I remember someone in this very thread refusing to buy Fallen Order because the exp curve was purposely slowed so you would buy experience boosters.

wait what? lmao

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think EA is straight-up not allowed to do DLC for Star Wars games anymore because Disney won't let them. EA hosed up the DLC so badly for Battlefront 2 that governments started talking about legally classifying lootboxes as gambling.

Disney is probably not very happy with how EA has handled Star Wars games, EA's 10-year exclusivity contract isn't even up yet and Ubisoft has already announced they're working on a Star Wars game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SnowRunner's -40% off ($23.99) on EGS right now if you were on the fence about it. I've gushed about it itt before so I won't do it again but it's a real good time if you like offroading and checking things off of lists!

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Blattdorf posted:

Yakuza's Director wants to remaster Binary Domain. Aside from that, ports of Yakuza Kenzan and Ishin also seem to be in the cards. Today is a good day for videogames.

Binary Domain is genuinely a fantastic game. That said, I played it on the PS3 and apparently the PC version had serious issues. But that should be fixed in a remaster.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Binary Domain is a game with a lot of heart that tried really hard and that’s why I love it. What? No, that’s absurd, that absolutely isn’t a string of euphemisms to irrationally excuse the many problems it has.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I agree, it was perfect.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Finally got a gaming pc for the first time jn 10 years or so. I'd like to play the yakuza games, is 0 on steam a good place to start?

I'd also like a fun open world game to muck around in, last really good ones I played were the early saints row and just cause games. Focus on really enjoyable movement mechanics would be ideal.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

field balm posted:

Finally got a gaming pc for the first time jn 10 years or so. I'd like to play the yakuza games, is 0 on steam a good place to start?

I'd also like a fun open world game to muck around in, last really good ones I played were the early saints row and just cause games. Focus on really enjoyable movement mechanics would be ideal.

Yakuza is more of a jrpg with brawler combat and infinite minigames than an open world game. Like, it owns, but it's not an open world game.

e: And yeah, start with 0 or 1, either one is great.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Binary Domain is a game with a lot of heart that tried really hard and that’s why I love it. What? No, that’s absurd, that absolutely isn’t a string of euphemisms to irrationally excuse the many problems it has.

I'm still mad I didn't get the good ending for the French robot

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Explains why they were selling it for a song the other day.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i hope they give you a new method to deal with samurai. or re-use the one you lost, even.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

0’s a good starting point yeah. It’s a prequel game so there will be some references you won’t pick up but nothing in the game relies upon you knowing about later events to follow the plot, it stands on its own perfectly well.

It’s also fun as hell to play, arguably the best in the series so it’s a good way to get hooked, too.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Yakuza games are kinda unique in that they do their utmost to recreate really specific areas in Japan that are open for exploration but kinda small. There's a shitload of side-quests and mini-games to do in them if you want or you can progress the plot. The majority of the game takes place in those places, except for the odd set-piece It's... oddly similiar to what Bioware attempted with Dragon Age 2 in a very JRPG way. Except good.

E: also, in case you are allergic to jrpg random encounters, the game lets you literally throw money at them to skip em. I want this in all JRPGs now.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 26, 2021

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
According to the store page that Shadow Tactics expansion is standalone. Kinda weird for only 3 main and 3 short missions, wonder what they'll price that at. I also wonder if they had another studio develop that for them, as I understood it they were working on a new thing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Every single game takes place at least in part in Kamurocho, and the layout doesn't change too much between games (except for 0 > 1 of course) and yet somehow I'm never bored of it.

I just beat 5, and you don't really get there until the last act, and even after exploring 4 different, interesting cities, I was happy to be back in Tokyo again.

Sometimes i even wander around Kabukicho on google street maps just to see if I can recognize things. Apparently the IRL version of Millennium Tower is a hotel with a giant inflatable roaring godzilla, Yakuza is apparently the subdued version of reality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_OSpEGqwS4

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Every single game takes place at least in part in Kamurocho, and the layout doesn't change too much between games (except for 0 > 1 of course) and yet somehow I'm never bored of it.

I just beat 5, and you don't really get there until the last act, and even after exploring 4 different, interesting cities, I was happy to be back in Tokyo again.

Sometimes i even wander around Kabukicho on google street maps just to see if I can recognize things. Apparently the IRL version of Millennium Tower is a hotel with a giant inflatable roaring godzilla, Yakuza is apparently the subdued version of reality

But how many shirtless battles between yakuza does it have on its rooftop?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ainsley McTree posted:

0’s a good starting point yeah. It’s a prequel game so there will be some references you won’t pick up but nothing in the game relies upon you knowing about later events to follow the plot, it stands on its own perfectly well.

It’s also fun as hell to play, arguably the best in the series so it’s a good way to get hooked, too.
Also, even though it's ostensibly a prequel that references earlier games, you'll play those 'earlier' games as the later Kiwami remakes which themselves have had a bunch of stuff added that reference 0.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
What’s gross about the Bloons monetization? I’ve played a lot of 6 on iPhone and steam and I’ve never felt obligated to spend money. Same with 5. I don’t think it’s ever even crossed my mind.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

I'm still mad I didn't get the good ending for the French robot

As it is you almost have to luck into that.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So... Anyone planning on getting Evil Genius 2 next week?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So... Anyone planning on getting Evil Genius 2 next week?

The management thread has been discussing it a lot!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The management thread has been discussing it a lot!

Oh! I'll take a look at that thread, thanks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There’s also a thread for it! I’d link but I’m phone posting and :effort:

Definitely getting it though, I loved the original way back in the day.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Management Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084

Evil Genius 2: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961782

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Thanks!

Definitely tempted to get EG2. I quite liked the original - especially making small, elaborate mazes at the entrance with many opportunities for spies to be killed horribly. Only the most tenacious spies gain access to my underground henchman rec room! :D

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Are they going with a higher minion count this time?

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 26, 2021

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Scalding Coffee posted:

Are they going with a higher minion count this time?

yes, minions are streamlined in many ways

details are buried in pre-release streamer videos and nobody's really talked about the endgame yet, but the islands are much bigger now (and multi-level!) so it is safe to assume you can have more than 100 minions total

minions no longer require a trained minion to train them in that skill. just unlocking the skill is enough for minions to self-train

minions no longer return to the island. when you do a mission that needs five valets, those five disappear to the map and do their thing and never return. this greatly simplifies things, as since you no longer have those minions you can (i think) immediately start training replacements instead of trying to keep track of how many are on the island and how many are skulking around the world getting killed off

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks!

Definitely tempted to get EG2. I quite liked the original - especially making small, elaborate mazes at the entrance with many opportunities for spies to be killed horribly. Only the most tenacious spies gain access to my underground henchman rec room! :D

of course nobody's played it yet but from the pre-release stuff it looks like the developers (rebellion, of sniper elite fame) bought the IP back when and put out a couple of mobile games. EG2 has been in development for a few years now and it looks like they tried very hard to retain the charm and gameplay of the original while modernizing and updating where necessary

e: oh and they got brian blessed to pull an absolutely terrible russian accent for one of the possible player characters, red ivan from the original game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xumLbTydX3s

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 26, 2021

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oh man, I'm gonna buy this, aren't I? :ohdear:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
everhood got a script rewrite, if anyone's interested

now it doesn't read like a high-school essay scribbled out the night before

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

field balm posted:

0 is a wonderful place to start. it has a bunch of references to the series as a whole since 0 is a prequel and is like the... sixth game in the main line of the series? but it is completely standalone and you don't need to know anything before you go into it, so it also functions as an introduction to the characters and world. it's also $20 and is imo one of the best deals in PC gaming for how much content you get

yakuza 0 takes place at the fever height of the late 80s japanese economic bubble, and it revels in the exuberance. when you beat the poo poo out of random guys, you don't get XP - you get giant stacks of money. money IS experience in this game, somewhat uniquely among the yakuza games. this is a sarcastic nod to the highly materialist, wealth-flaunting times, with a lot of aviator glasses and bad haircuts to boot. aesthetically, it's glorious, as visions of this brief era of japan don't get a lot of play in the west. instead of the grim, kind of sad depictions of modern japanese life in a permanent recession most americans are familiar with through consuming media made in the last 30 years and set contemporaneously, you get something closer to the flash and swagger of las vegas high rollers when pretty much everyone was lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills, just because they could

if you get all the way through 0 and decide to continue on, the next game is the remake of the first game: yakuza kiwami. its ok, has some plot stuff, but there's only so much you can do to puff up what still feels like a very PS2 era beat em up. the game after that though, yakuza kiwami 2 (or, yakuza 2 remastered) is completely phenomenal and a contender for best game in the series, and worth seeing if kiwami 1 starts to lose you a bit on the series as a whole

one translation note: the game is intended to be super cheesy and dramatic. yakuza games shift wildly in tone, where one minute you're tearfully swearing a manly blood oath of vengeance in the rain, and the next you're helping a child collect beetles from trees. a lot of the hyper violent growling gangster stuff is intended to be convoluted, ridiculous, and channeling the same tone as years worth of japanese B movies about gangsters. a lot of the prominent actors from this genre end up playing face-scan and voice roles in the games themselves, and despite how much guys are screaming at each other about honor, its all a bit tongue in cheek

this clip has nothing to do with the yakuza game series, it just channels the same energy the game lovingly parodies/imitates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbYy46psVwg

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is it in the same location in the game? Because the first games predate that building by quite a bit