Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
You should tell her you'll fight her for the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
If I'm leaving my job for another job, am I obligated to knowledge transfer the old one? I feel like they just want to make me stupid busy before I leave, and I'm balancing a dayjob alongside my side gig contract. I'm also contract specifically contract with ye olde job and already handed in my 2 week notice. Like....is that something they can legally require me to do? Spend 2 weeks on a knowledge transfer?

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
So my boss is retiring and I'm not technically but am basically taking over his practice, moving space, building walls in a new space, being on the hook for things. buying printers It is terrifying.

I don't want to be a businessperson I just want to open and close files and embarrass cops on the stand. Why is this happening?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

notwithoutmyanus posted:

If I'm leaving my job for another job, am I obligated to knowledge transfer the old one? I feel like they just want to make me stupid busy before I leave, and I'm balancing a dayjob alongside my side gig contract. I'm also contract specifically contract with ye olde job and already handed in my 2 week notice. Like....is that something they can legally require me to do? Spend 2 weeks on a knowledge transfer?

it seems unlikely they can legally compel you to work, given the 13th amendment and all

the simple answer is probably "no, but nothing compels them to pay you either instead of just firing you"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So you told them you would work for them for two more weeks and now they want you to work for those same two weeks?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nichol posted:

So my boss is retiring and I'm not technically but am basically taking over his practice, moving space, building walls in a new space, being on the hook for things. buying printers It is terrifying.

I don't want to be a businessperson I just want to open and close files and embarrass cops on the stand. Why is this happening?

Sounds like you've lucked into a substantial degree of success! Make sure to track down an invite to the secret discord for successful lawyers (as opposed to that other one).

Also, gently caress printers forever. The second we installed some new ink (extra larger reservoirs!) for our home printer (now also the de facto office printer) it immediately bricked without any sort of warning.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Vox Nihili posted:

Sounds like you've lucked into a substantial degree of success! Make sure to track down an invite to the secret discord for successful lawyers (as opposed to that other one).

Also, gently caress printers forever. The second we installed some new ink (extra larger reservoirs!) for our home printer (now also the de facto office printer) it immediately bricked without any sort of warning.

Speaking of which any lower mainland lawyers want to make bank doing largely traffic? I know a guy dying for associates...

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

joat mon posted:

So you told them you would work for them for two more weeks and now they want you to work for those same two weeks?

Snark side: I'm pretty sure knowledge transfer wasn't in my scope and I'm not opposed to trying to leave politely, but naturally doing my agreed upon responsibilities are obviously in scope. So that's kinda why I was asking. I wouldn't care if the owner wasn't an onerous dude who is capable of turning 30 minute meetings into 6 hours (thus leaving). If I start knowledge transfer beyond basics it would stretch past my 2 week notice. Easily. I've been typing it up because they would rather I have a recorded videoconference and I'm not going to do that.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Knowledge transfer is not in any employees scope of duties because it’s only something you do when you leave a job. Counterpoint: it’s squarely in your scope because you’re describing and summarizing what you do and what you’ve been working on.

If you gave two weeks, you work two weeks or you leave early. Do a lovely job at knowledge transfer if you want. It’s not really a legal question unless you are employed by contract, and then probably still not a legal question.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Snark side: I'm pretty sure knowledge transfer wasn't in my scope and I'm not opposed to trying to leave politely, but naturally doing my agreed upon responsibilities are obviously in scope. So that's kinda why I was asking. I wouldn't care if the owner wasn't an onerous dude who is capable of turning 30 minute meetings into 6 hours (thus leaving). If I start knowledge transfer beyond basics it would stretch past my 2 week notice. Easily. I've been typing it up because they would rather I have a recorded videoconference and I'm not going to do that.
They can obviously make you spend your last two weeks working, you know, doing work. Why do you care whether it's knowledge transfer vs. whatever else it is you did?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

notwithoutmyanus posted:

you can do the work they're willing to pay you to do, or you can decline and not get paid, that's pretty much the end of the story practically speaking

what amount of refusing to do work they want you to do will cause them to not pay you is not a legal question

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Anus boy are you a contract lawyer or something?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Nichol posted:

You can't go wrong with Brother laser printers, especially if you're printing black and white and need a decent all in one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Seconded. I love my brother laser printer. Had it since 2013. Still chugging along.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I finally replaced my Brother laser that I bought in 2008 last year. I prrrrobably could have fixed it again (it was jamming frequently, probably an internal spring wore out like the previous time I fixed it) but it was hitting the point of being harder to find toner for it.

10/10, would (and did) buy Brother again.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Must be nice to be able to get a printer without having to fill out a form 27B-6 to have one issued from the centralized printer depository.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Nichol posted:

Speaking of which any lower mainland lawyers want to make bank doing largely traffic? I know a guy dying for associates...

Is this a real question? We're probably moving to Vancouver and my partner is looking for a job.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nichol posted:

Which region? I uh, need to know. For prospective reasons

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Buy an old (maybe pre-2006) HP B&W laserjet. I'm still on my 2002 HP 1300LJ. I have had to replace the pick pad, which cost all of 5 bucks. If you can find one with a replaced fuser, you'll get at least 20 years out of it. Recommend getting one from the era of USB (or has an ethernet jack) because lol getting a good print server with parallel in 2021.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Grip it and rip it posted:

Which region? I uh, need to know. For prospective reasons

Vancouver BC

@ printers I bought a used pedestal hp 630 flow off Craigslist. It seems feature rich and toner cheap so fingers crossed. And has huge paper capacity so...

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Nichol posted:

Vancouver BC

okay but here’s the really important question: does he need a summer student

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
pm sent.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Has anybody here ever tried to get a deposition subpoena in Texas for an out-of-state case?

I think I need a Court Clerk to issue the subpoena after I get an order from the Court where the action is pending, but I can’t figure out the procedure for how that is supposed to be done and none of the Clerks I’ve spoken to have any idea what I’m talking about.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Anus boy are you a contract lawyer or something?

hardly/not even close

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I assumed since you posted in here that you were a lawyer asking about leaving a lawyer job. I was trying to understand what “knowledge transfer” would be under those circumstances.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Nichol posted:

Is this the firm I think it is? Or is there another traffic ticket mill around?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I assumed since you posted in here that you were a lawyer asking about leaving a lawyer job.

Look what your assumptions have wrought.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

The Kingfish posted:

Has anybody here ever tried to get a deposition subpoena in Texas for an out-of-state case?

I think I need a Court Clerk to issue the subpoena after I get an order from the Court where the action is pending, but I can’t figure out the procedure for how that is supposed to be done and none of the Clerks I’ve spoken to have any idea what I’m talking about.

Does this apply to your situation?

quote:

Sec. 20.002. TESTIMONY REQUIRED BY FOREIGN JURISDICTION. If a court of record in any other state or foreign jurisdiction issues a mandate, writ, or commission that requires a witness's testimony in this state, either to written questions or by oral deposition, the witness may be compelled to appear and testify in the same manner and by the same process used for taking testimony in a proceeding pending in this state.

Found it here: https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/CP/htm/CP.20.htm#20.001

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

thehoodie posted:

Is this the firm I think it is? Or is there another traffic ticket mill around?

I mean, maybe probably?

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I'm taking a break from my regular idiotic shitposting to say that:

1. I hate law school

2. Evidence rules in general and hearsay in particular make no sense.

3. Doing bail arguments over Zoom is very stressful the first time you do it.

I would want access to the magical SA law discord but I don't have platinum, so I have to post this here.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

You can still get out, you don't have to finish law school.

Evidence is a shitshow and half the time my judges don't give a gently caress.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Badactura posted:

I'm taking a break from my regular idiotic shitposting to say that:

1. I hate law school

2. Evidence rules in general and hearsay in particular make no sense.

3. Doing bail arguments over Zoom is very stressful the first time you do it.

I would want access to the magical SA law discord but I don't have platinum, so I have to post this here.

The hearsay rules (as I learned them in evidence class at law school and while cramming for the bar) feel like something a 19th century layperson would come up with as a joke about the absurdity of then-contemporary lawyers and court-made law.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vox Nihili posted:

The hearsay rules (as I learned them in evidence class at law school and while cramming for the bar) feel like something a 19th century layperson would come up with as a joke about the absurdity of then-contemporary lawyers and court-made law.

Procedure, especially discovery rules, are like 95% of my actual work as a public defender. Does the prosecution have their poo poo together, or not? If they do my guy is usually boned! But they usually don't!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I will say that Evidence (including hearsay) make substantially more sense once you see them in operation, compared to the abstract nonsense you talk about in class.

Same goes for most procedure rules where you realize that the "good cause" sentence in most deadlines is the phrase that does the heavy lifting in 90% of cases.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Pook Good Mook posted:

I will say that Evidence (including hearsay) make substantially more sense once you see them in operation, compared to the abstract nonsense you talk about in class.

Same goes for most procedure rules where you realize that the "good cause" sentence in most deadlines is the phrase that does the heavy lifting in 90% of cases.

Ayup.

Also you have to realize that "good cause" has no meaning in case law, and it's entirely up to the trial judge. Meaning it really just means whatever other lawyers in the vicinity think is normal.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Arcturas posted:

Ayup.

Also you have to realize that "good cause" has no meaning in case law, and it's entirely up to the trial judge. Meaning it really just means whatever other lawyers in the vicinity think is normal.

For example, deadlines for depositions are aspirational at best. Same goes for pre-trial motions. Granted this is criminal court where just about every rule will get ignored so long as a criminal defendant feels like they're getting due process.

I realize that's different in federal court. But criminal state court is governed by the only rule that matters: What will it take to get this loving case done and off the docket and how long will that take?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Most everything in litigation makes more sense once you’ve seen it in practice, and especially once you’ve seen a case from beginning to end. Depositions make more sense when you see how they are used in a motion for summary judgment or to impeach a witness at trial.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You want the other thread

This thread helps no one

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Nonsense.

This thread helped me choose not to go to law school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Loucks posted:

Nonsense.

This thread helped me choose not to go to law school.

Good loucks