Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

I have never, ever seen a city like this and I've lived in major multi-million person cities my entire life, and traveled extensively prior to COVID. Is this just another weird goon exaggeration thing?

Where exactly do you live that there aren't a bunch of people on the sidewalk you're walking on and people don't live in tall apartment buildings and it's quiet all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't really like cities much either, but I still can't say most I've been to constantly smelled like piss. poo poo on the sidewalk yes, but dog poo poo, because people in cities just can't understand that they're not a good place to keep dogs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

winks are underrated. when i meet a familiar someone on the street nowadays i just wink at them. its intimate and low key reassuring at the same time

All those people think you're flirting with them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

keeping a large dog in an apartment will definitely make me think you're uncool

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Where exactly do you live that there aren't a bunch of people on the sidewalk you're walking on and people don't live in tall apartment buildings and it's quiet all the time

I'll give you the fact that cities can be louder than the countryside, though they can be quieter too, if you've ever been in the country during some sort of migration. Or lived in an area with cicadas. Or any number of other loud natural things.

But I've never seen human feces in a city square (though I don't doubt it happens occasionally, same in the country/small towns), and the only city that's ever smelled like pee to me was NYC in the summer - and if I'm honest, it's smelled like dog pee which has a specific scent.

Also, unless your only experience with cities is Kowloon then it's not anywhere near as crowded as your hyperbolic post makes it seem. It's just you being a goon about the ocean, except this time it's a city.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I miss the city. Where I live all you hear is cows mooing and occasionally an overworked brotruck that needs an exhaust overhaul. I can go actual weeks without encountering a single other human if I don't want to. It's depressing and the silence is absolutely oppressive and horrible. I'd rather listen to the endless droning of people living than the nothing of the country.

Like I just turned off the noise makers in my house to listen for 5 minutes. I counted four moos, a chicken fussing, and two tired dog woofs. Also four gunshots but that's probably Brother John shooting cans up the way. Sometimes I'd take the worst neighborhood of any city over this emptiness.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

All those people think you're flirting with them.

thats okay

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

I live in a major city and my neighborhood is a relatively quiet residential area mostly containing small houses. I have also never encountered human feces in my 6+ years here.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't think any of you are looking for human turds hard enough

Maybe you mistook them for shoes or clams or whatever it is city people eat these days

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Clams. We eat clams.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Didn't know Manager Hoyden lived in the NYC from Make Room! Make Room!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: you wanna know a bad city? Toronto. It's not the worst, it's actually rather nice, but it's the most aggressively generic and boring place you can imagine. Say what you will about Paris or NYC, they have character.

Toronto reminds me of Philly with worse food.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think most cities have parts that smell like pee. You just have to know where to look. The only city I can say that smelled like piss almost everywhere I went was Austin. Geneva was pretty close though, but it was mostly concentrated on the buses/trams.

Can't say I've encountered the human poop anywhere. Lots of dog poop both on the ground and hanging from branches in bags though.

also natural noises are a lot better than city ones. I like sleeping with my window open when the frogs or cicadas or whatever are making a ruckus. City noises are too sudden, like a train horn or sirens are always going to wake me up whereas the relatively steady drone of frog actually helps me get to sleep.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hoverhanding is fine. it's just a gesture for posing in pictures with someone like "look at this person here" without getting presumptuous.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i never thought it was a shy thing. it's more like youre going "tah-dahhhh" for whoever's standing next to you. it's fine.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Jimmy Fallon isn't that bad. Seth Meyers is enjoyable.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
PHUO: drugs are great. Everyone should do various drugs, but only after they turn 25. Your brain is still developing until then and it could gently caress you up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone should seriously try LSD, just not as an antidote to opiate addiction

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hai:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This isn't true and everyone with a mental illness needs to HEAVILY consider their safer options for tripping balls first.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I used to live on a street with a lot of nightclubs and pubs, in a building with a tunnel through it (for parking lot access), and a kebab pizzeria. Every Sunday morning when I got up and about before the street cleaners got to work, the tunnel would reek mightily of piss.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Captain Monkey posted:

I have never, ever seen a city like this and I've lived in major multi-million person cities my entire life, and traveled extensively prior to COVID. Is this just another weird goon exaggeration thing?

That’s exactly how I felt visiting my sister in NYC, minus the piss and poo poo. I understand other folks don’t mind it but something about being surrounded by people and tall buildings is deeply off putting to me. It’s too much

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I used to live on a street with a lot of nightclubs and pubs, in a building with a tunnel through it (for parking lot access), and a kebab pizzeria. Every Sunday morning when I got up and about before the street cleaners got to work, the tunnel would reek mightily of piss.

You really should have used the bathroom

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Peeps are utterly disgusting and the only thing worse than them is Nutella.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The secret is to cut the packaging when you get home, then let them get nice and stale over a couple days before you eat 'em

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

The secret is to cut the packaging when you get home, then let them get nice and stale over a couple days before you eat 'em

I always let them get stale, in the trash where they belong.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
frankly marshmallow is an ingredient that needs to be in more deserts in general

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

frankly marshmallow is an ingredient that needs to be in more deserts in general

Hard disagree. I’ve never had marshmallow that I’ve enjoyed. I used to think I liked smores but I realized I just like chocolate and graham crackers

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

Nutella is delicious. People only claim it's disgusting to look cool. Left alone with a jar of the stuff and some toast you'd eat it with a smile on your face. I mean you don't have to shovel it on like they do at literally every place that offers it as a topping, but it's a perfectly lovely spread when used in sane portions.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

Nutella is delicious. People only claim it's disgusting to look cool. Left alone with a jar of the stuff and some toast you'd eat it with a smile on your face. I mean you don't have to shovel it on like they do at literally every place that offers it as a topping, but it's a perfectly lovely spread when used in sane portions.

This is what up. Nutella should be used sparingly as a tasty hazelnut spread.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

honey outclasses pretty much all jams and spreads

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

honey outclasses pretty much all jams and spreads

My man.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Nutella is fine on some vanilla ice-cream as I recall. But then chocolate syrup and/or strawberry jam is much better so I've only ever tried it once, in the 90s.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

theres only a few things i put on my bread: sardines or fish, ham, cheese, honey or peanut butter made of 100% peanuts, the rest is bad

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

GWBBQ posted:

Read peeps as people and seemed like a reasonable opinion. :shrug:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

theres only a few things i put on my bread: sardines or fish, ham, cheese, honey or peanut butter made of 100% peanuts, the rest is bad

For real the best toast spread is sardines in mustard + hot sauce + peanut butter. You won't make many friends with that breakfast on your breath but that's their loss.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I have never ever liked peanut butter and jelly.

Jam is better than jelly in every situation.

But peanut butter and honey on toast is the superior breakfast food.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Let me help you non Americans

Jam is a sweet sugary spread, usually strawberry or raspberry flavour. Also goes well with porridge or on a sandwich with peanut butter.

Jelly is a gelatinous solid, comes in multiple colours and flavours, you usually melt it in hot water then let it solidify into a wobbly bouncy mass.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Oh jelly is Jell-O.

I think in the US jelly and jam are pretty similar. Jam has more seeds and pieces of fruit in it I think. I like jam better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Just call everything that isn't jello a fruit spread so that we can stop having this boring as gently caress conversation every time someone mentions toast.

For gently caress's sake we get it. YOU'RE SPECIAL.