Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I signed a 40 year old Diego Forlan on a free for a L1 side in 20 and he broke his spine after about 8 or so scoreless games, it was the most brutal end to a career I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Someone's rattled. A draw here wins me the title over the opposition. If I lose I have two more games to get a win.

edit: They played 3 strikers so I had to make a 10th minute sub to change to 3 at the back. First half penalty pretty much settled things. Simple 2-0 win for the new champs.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 20, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

sassassin posted:

Someone's rattled. A draw here wins me the title over the opposition. If I lose I have two more games to get a win.

edit: They played 3 strikers so I had to make a 10th minute sub to change to 3 at the back. First half penalty pretty much settled things. Simple 2-0 win for the new champs.

Did you go with 3 central defenders and two lateral midfielders, or a full 5-man back line? I've always favoured two fullbacks, two defenders and a libero/sweeper when I am 'parking the bus'.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should better simulate a horrific injury or heart attack casting a pall over the entire game. Morale plummets, medics take forever to deal with the issue, etc.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or fans chucking paper airplanes at your players

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

Or fans chucking paper airplanes at your players

Does "The fans have seen enough already!" still tank the morale when they get up and leave so it's impossible to come back?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

I signed Paul Konchesky before the last match of the season (lol Tier 8), mostly because he wanted to be a player/coach. I subbed him in late because he had no match sharpness, he hit one nice long ball to send my star forward in on goal, but couldn't get it past the keeper.

I'm just starting the next preseason now, and Konchesky decided to retire. Oh well, at least he's still a good coach for this level.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JustJeff88 posted:

Did you go with 3 central defenders and two lateral midfielders, or a full 5-man back line? I've always favoured two fullbacks, two defenders and a libero/sweeper when I am 'parking the bus'.

5-3-2 WB. It wasn't so much about parking the bus as making sure all 3 strikers were picked up when we went forward, which wasn't happening in a back 4 with my fullbacks supporting attacks. When they couldn't abuse the extra man to trigger "counters" they didn't have much to offer.

I dominated possession in midfield with a flat 3 and target man dropping in from the front, plus the wingbacks not having to mark anyone.

edit: Because of the winter world cup my end of season break is from October 26th until January 16th. Going to have some seriously fat players in preseason. Training camp in sunny Portugal isn't until mid-March.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 20, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

sassassin posted:

5-3-2 WB. It wasn't so much about parking the bus as making sure all 3 strikers were picked up when we went forward, which wasn't happening in a back 4 with my fullbacks supporting attacks. When they couldn't abuse the extra man to trigger "counters" they didn't have much to offer.

I dominated possession in midfield with a flat 3 and target man dropping in from the front, plus the wingbacks not having to mark anyone.

edit: Because of the winter world cup my end of season break is from October 26th until January 16th. Going to have some seriously fat players in preseason. Training camp in sunny Portugal isn't until mid-March.

I was going to suggest using a deep-lying defensive mid dedicated to the middle striker, but it looks like it worked out regardless.

Some people play a flat 3 back, but I never know what to do without a fullback on either side. I can get attacking width in other ways, but on defence the wings are wide open and the opposition's wide midfielders are just shooting fish in a barrel with all of those easy crosses.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Proud day. Sivert Mannsverk, the young midfielder I converted to centre half in my first season, has been included in Norway's world cup squad as a defender.

Selling him to Leipzig paid off the first season's operating debt and built new training facilities, then I spent a fortune loaning him back for the first half of our first Prem season. He developed well enough that Leipzig bought out the next sale clause we had with enough to pay off that season's operating debt, and he's been good enough to get games for them from then on.

Good business all around, thanks club director who accepted their bid without consulting me on deadline day.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

So friendlies were already set up for me at the start of preseason. Can't really complain as we got a bumper crowd for Cambridge United, and Colchester drew us about 5x our normal league match attendance. And now I have a match against...Hashtag United. :v:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Not sure what to do with this kid. Not mobile enough for my stacked midfield, maybe target man but the one-footedness puts me off.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Clearly an enganche

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Cruising right along in my second season with Newmarket, then I got an offer from Morpeth to interview for their head coach job out of nowhere. Declined of course.

Then I beat Tamworth in the FA Cup 2nd qualifying round and drew at home against...Morpeth. :twisted:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
He's 15 with a boatload of potential. Make him mobile!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Masonity posted:

He's 15 with a boatload of potential. Make him mobile!

Yeah his quickness stats are rising and he's got nice mentals for a 15yo, maybe have him do lots of sprints and see where he is in a year?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

sassassin posted:

Not sure what to do with this kid. Not mobile enough for my stacked midfield, maybe target man but the one-footedness puts me off.

Ball playing centreback IMO.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Wide target man

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Can't you just have him train up his left foot?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JustJeff88 posted:

Can't you just have him train up his left foot?

afaik you can't tell players to do that in fm21. I've only seen Professional players working on it "in their spare time".

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

afaik you can't tell players to do that in fm21. I've only seen Professional players working on it "in their spare time".

I have an either footed player working on his weaker foot in his spare time. loving teacher's pet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

I have an either footed player working on his weaker foot in his spare time. loving teacher's pet.

Either footed players feel like a trap this year as anywhere outside the box everyone acts like they've got the 'avoids use of weaker foot' trait. Had to sell an either-footed left back as he would always stop to cut inside against instruction.

Strikers are the only position where a weaker foot being good seems to matter, because they will regularly use it to shoot and create chances. In midfield and out wide if there's nothing open to the side they're strongest then things just go backwards. That's why my possession tactic has 3 players drifting about finding space on the right side (TM-S, MZ-A and CWB-S).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Even in the old versions I never liked my fullbacks being good with their off foot because it would make them tend to shoot too much when I wanted them to dribble to the byline and whip crosses, as FB crosses were overpowered for like 8 years.

I always liked my midfielders being either footed though. If I had a good young midfielder who was one footed I would usually make him a fullback.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

what would you do with a 200cm striker who cant finish and hates shooting but does have incredible dribbling skills

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sebzilla posted:

Wide target man

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

yugioh mishima posted:

what would you do with a 200cm striker who cant finish and hates shooting but does have incredible dribbling skills

That's the target man-support I've been looking for. Just needs a little more strength and balance to polish.

sebzilla posted:

Wide target man

They want great shooting and crossing imo. They play out in spaces and don't move with the ball. A big lad with such great creativity and ball control belongs in the mixer.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Wouldn't it be hugely advantageous to a side to have a wing player (fullback, midfield or attacking wing) who can play either side? Injuries are loving rife in FM games and I would think that that sort of versatility would be worth its weight in £/€.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In practice it only works out to be useful if your backup options are far better on one side than the other, which is pretty situational and not something worth planning for.

I will still bet anyone any amount that there is coding in FM to create runs of injuries to all the guys that can play a particular position. If you poke around your league you can even see it happening to AI teams.

Players with Pace/Accel of 16+ are also far likelier to suffer minor leg injuries, that one is easy to verify as happening independent of Injury Proneness just looking through injury histories. Not saying it's hardcoded in that case, probably just happens because they take dribbles/sprints/whatever more often than other players, I dunno.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 23, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

In practice it only works out to be useful if your backup options are far better on one side than the other, which is pretty situational and not something worth planning for.

I will still bet anyone any amount that there is coding in FM to create runs of injuries to all the guys that can play a particular position. If you poke around your league you can even see it happening to AI teams.

Players with Pace/Accel of 16+ are also far likelier to suffer minor leg injuries, that one is easy to verify as happening independent of Injury Proneness just looking through injury histories. Not saying it's hardcoded in that case, probably just happens because they take dribbles/sprints/whatever more often than other players, I dunno.

Patterns happen not because of vindictive secret code but because players in the same positions go through similar stresses (tactical demands, training units). Have a heavy schedule and overdo training and it's not going to be an even distribution of injuries throughout your squad, it'll be mainly the guys running 3km more during each game and doing role+position+focus training while the centre halves are together practicing their heading. The AI is naturally going to be even more prone to that sort of thing than a human player as it's really dumb and can't read tooltips about minutes played and accumulated fatigue.

Fast players doing lots of sprints are definitely more vulnerable to injuries, always have been.

Get a good physio and sports science team and the severity of injuries gets downgraded. I see pretty frequent 1-3 day issues among my players but rarely anything longer than 10 days. Think it was one innocuous torn calf muscle during my title-winning season, in an injury-prone player. A 16 year old I sent on loan had his hip destroyed, out for 3-4 months. Never again.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah injuries are a major reason (also the stupidity of AI training) I never loan out any young player that's in my future plans at all. They almost without exception develop better just staying in my U23s and drawing a handful of first team starts a year as injury cover/in League Cup matches no one gives a poo poo about.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
No better feeling than seeing the star ratings of most of your team plummet while the new attacking midfielder you bought holds firm at 4 stars with potential.

Gattuso came to watch his last game. That's not such a great feeling.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

sassassin posted:

Gattuso came to watch his last game. That's not such a great feeling.

Cash is always nice, there are always more players and even with the "development" of the scouting system the past few years you're still way ahead of the AI in identifying bargain talent.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Time for a quick 5 year contract with 3 year renewal? And maybe a £200mil release clause that you can point to and say "That. That's his price."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

Time for a quick 5 year contract with 3 year renewal? And maybe a £200mil release clause that you can point to and say "That. That's his price."

It's Norway, the club directors would take things out of my hands at £5m. I'm not in a position to stop youngsters too good for this league from leaving yet. And difficult to replace quality with quality short-term when my highest earner is on £2k/week.

Fingers crossed clubs don't start pouncing until after the Champions League qualifying stages are over. Getting to the groups would be huge for us.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My main striker has the yips. Gone from outperforming his xg to fluffing every 1 on 1 he gets. 7 goals in the first 5 games of the season (15-20 each previous season) and can't hit a barn door in the 12 or so since.

He may have just cost me CL group stages with another bad miss. Have to drop him. Maybe sell.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So what interaction of code routines causes the seemingly-but-definitely-not-actually-hardcoded Striker Droughts?

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Currently grumbling that the FA Cup results screen doesn't show attendances, I like to scroll through the early rounds to see what minnows are getting paid.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

So what interaction of code routines causes the seemingly-but-definitely-not-actually-hardcoded Striker Droughts?

Finding out OOTP uses injuries to correct deviation was a real bummer so I'd rather not know.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

algebra testes posted:

Finding out OOTP uses injuries to correct deviation was a real bummer so I'd rather not know.

Can't you turn off injuries in ootp? What's that do to the deviation then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

In his case I think the rest of my team has developed so much that the game sees his formerly good finishing skills (composure, decisions, technique, first touch) as being relatively limited now, compared to his still-great ability to find chances. He's also explicitly feeling the pressure of his goal droughts. 10 hours before his last goal, an open goal tap in that he tried very hard to put wide from 5 yards. He's been wanted by other sides all season so maybe his head is elsewhere as well. His status has risen significantly over the last 2.5 seasons, both at the club and abroad, while his attributes long since peaked (disappointing as he's only 22).

They do hardcode things to stop "too many" goals being scored to match up with rough irl figures and prevent possession sides from abusing poor defensive ai, as FM20's 1v1 finishing made everyone painfully aware. Since becoming the dominant side in my division goals from corners have dried up significantly as well, it's rare my JR 17 centre half wins a near post header any more.

First league loss of the season on game 19 of 30. Young Boys knocked me out of the Champions League qualifiers so I've got a Europa playoff with some Hungarians next.