Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Sab669 posted:

What model is that? Very cool pose / shield. I like how yours came out

It's Razek Godblessed from Khagra's Ravagers. I love the new Chaos Warriors GW has been putting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah sweet. All the Underpants warbands have great sculpts.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Thanks for the decal tips. I ordered some Microsol and Microset.
Speaking of, does anyone have a good source for 40k transfers in the US? I was going to order the Salamanders sheet from Forgeworld, but $31 a sheet seems like a lot.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Will using a varnish (or even better, a layer of gloss followed by a layer of matte) help make spindly bits less fragile? Or like, models where they're glued to the base by only their big toe or something?

I have a handful of models that will fall apart if I look at them wrong, and I'm wondering what the best way to reinforce them is.
drilling and pinning the model to the base is the only thing that's gonna do more than glue. varnish will do next to nothing - it is quite good for helping little bits of like grass or twigs stick to the base, but not whole models.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Funzo posted:

Thanks for the decal tips. I ordered some Microsol and Microset.
Speaking of, does anyone have a good source for 40k transfers in the US? I was going to order the Salamanders sheet from Forgeworld, but $31 a sheet seems like a lot.

The Forgeworld decal sheet seems pricey but it's actually a better deal than you'll find most other places. If you search for "Primaris Salamander Decals" on eBay you can find the sheet that comes standard with one of the kits - they're only $10 but it's only enough decals for 5 marines, so if you are trying to do more than a couple MSUs the Forgeworld sheet becomes much more cost-effective.

You can also go with third-party decal sellers - plenty of them make stuff like "space lizard" decals that just happen to look exactly like the Salamander icon. The downside is it's hard to tell what the print quality is gonna be and there's always a risk that the seller gets a takedown order at some point, so if you go that route make sure you buy as many as you need for your whole project at the same time.

But yeah a $31 decal sheet is hard to swallow.

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God

grassy gnoll posted:

Dullcote ain't poo poo these days. If you want a lacquer varnish, go with Mr. Hobby. That said, the acrylic mattes out there now are really excellent, if you don't specifically need a lacquer. Vallejo Mecha Matte is the flattest varnish I've ever used, and it's braindead simple to use. If you don't have an airbrush, it still brushes on extremely flat.

I actually did just get an airbrush and I'm very new to it, so I'm not sure how reliably I can apply a thin coat (I've had good results with priming, but it's self-levelling so I'm not sure if that's on me or on the primer itself being forgiving). Would this be a big issue? And does it require thinning?

Also, I have a bottle of the "normal" Vallejo matte varnish already; is this different from the mecha line, and if so, would it be worth it to replace?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm also a convert to Vallejo Mecha Matte. Unless you need an enamel based varnish for some reason, its 90% as good as dullcote without any hassle or fear of mutating your children/pets/wildlife.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

What desk lamp do you guys use?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

^burtle posted:

I have been using this, though more for the light than the magnification. I've been doing a lot of painting in a recliner with a tablemate table tray and this thing works really well over my shoulder, puts out a lot of light.

I don't know I I would recommend it for anyone to buy, but I got if for my father to help with his macular degeneration, and when he passed last year I took it back with me, to get some use out of it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

^burtle posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JVJ7F44

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

^burtle posted:

An Ikea TERTIAL with a daylight bulb

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I use about three lamps at once

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

^burtle posted:

This one has worked out pretty well for me, and it's not too pricey.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

^burtle posted:

Could not get Tertials because I don't live near an IKEA, but I have a couple of Globe Electric 32" multi-joint lamps w/ Sunlite 6500K LED bulbs from Jeff Bezos.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i think the ring lamps even if you don’t use the magnification are superb, they light your models super evenly compared to a single bulb

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

jesus WEP posted:

i think the ring lamps even if you don’t use the magnification are superb, they light your models super evenly compared to a single bulb

I got one with a magnifier only to discover using a magnifier makes me dizzy.

However having a ring light has made me look fabulous for zoom meetings.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Daylight Lumi XL

edit: when I had the space, the two lamps with daylight bulbs and a soft box overhead was my favourite tho by far.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 25, 2021

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The Easy Rider posted:

I actually did just get an airbrush and I'm very new to it, so I'm not sure how reliably I can apply a thin coat (I've had good results with priming, but it's self-levelling so I'm not sure if that's on me or on the primer itself being forgiving). Would this be a big issue? And does it require thinning?

Also, I have a bottle of the "normal" Vallejo matte varnish already; is this different from the mecha line, and if so, would it be worth it to replace?

In my experience the Vallejo Mecha varnish is very very forgiving, I've sprayed it on extra thick on a few models and it still turns out fine. It's also super durable once applied.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm finding the AK interactive matte and ultra matte are also great.

Since I got them I've finally put the Dullcote in the drawer, likely to never be used again. Maybe on terrain?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The best value is Ikea Tertial lamps with daylight bulbs. The lamps are about $12 each and the bulbs are $9. This lets you have a large range of movement between the two lamps and it has been significantly better than my solo ring lamp (which cost $30 by itself). It's something you don't notice until you try it, now my old ring lamp feels dull in comparison.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Thanks for the referrals, I need to upgrade my setup badly.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Verisimilidude posted:

The best value is Ikea Tertial lamps with daylight bulbs. The lamps are about $12 each and the bulbs are $9. This lets you have a large range of movement between the two lamps and it has been significantly better than my solo ring lamp (which cost $30 by itself). It's something you don't notice until you try it, now my old ring lamp feels dull in comparison.

Can confirm these are perfect. They come with hardware for clamping to a desk, screwing into a wall etc

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
yep, they're great. being able to eliminate shadows from the side when you're doing detail work makes long sessions so, so much easier on the eyes.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083B894V8

I got this long and skinny led lamp. I kinda want to get the 2 smaller lamp setup to compare but also don't want to spend the money when this setup seems fine (I guess)?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

^burtle posted:

LED Shop Lights. $30 per, although that was years ago, so probably cheaper now.

Bathe yourself in light. Praise the sun!

Before and after:

Powerful desk lamp, Pretty good for small area:

Shop-Lights, Begone Darkness!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

tangy yet delightful posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083B894V8

I got this long and skinny led lamp. I kinda want to get the 2 smaller lamp setup to compare but also don't want to spend the money when this setup seems fine (I guess)?

That’s similar to what I’m using now.

The two lamps wouldn’t replace it, but rather add to it. Essentially meaning you don’t have shadows anymore from the sides. It’s a nice to have, but not crucial.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
We use this for our main painting station:

https://www.amazon.com/OttLite-Brightness-Settings-Activated-Workshop/dp/B07K2HZ6GV

We also have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/OttLite-Brightness-Settings-Activated-Finish/dp/B07H1X2VWZ

and an older model that has a removable base for table usage if we're painting and watching youtube.

Ottlite is pretty good and if you're near a Joann's Fabrics, you can typically find that their stuff is usually half off there.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

LED Shop Lights. $30 per, although that was years ago, so probably cheaper now.

Bathe yourself in light. Praise the sun!

Before and after:

Powerful desk lamp, Pretty good for small area:

Shop-Lights, Begone Darkness!

Woo Golden all the way

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

crossed posting

Assessor of Maat posted:

Finally got around to taking photos of these after a month:

more pictures here if you're so inclined: https://imgur.com/a/NX5GRvH

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'm getting started in the hobby. I am looking for a recommendation of some sort of device that combines a magnifying glass, a light, and adjustable clamps. I have an essential tremor which I'm finding makes tricky assemblies even more difficult, so the clamps are important. Could anyone recommend a quality item or manufacturer? Amazon is filled with stuff and most of it has a decent amount of negative reviews. There are a lot of good lamp/mag recommendations on this page so I'm wondering if maybe I need to buy two different things, a lamp/mag and some kind of weird clamp system. I feel really lost with this stuff.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm getting started in the hobby. I am looking for a recommendation of some sort of device that combines a magnifying glass, a light, and adjustable clamps. I have an essential tremor which I'm finding makes tricky assemblies even more difficult, so the clamps are important. Could anyone recommend a quality item or manufacturer? Amazon is filled with stuff and most of it has a decent amount of negative reviews. There are a lot of good lamp/mag recommendations on this page so I'm wondering if maybe I need to buy two different things, a lamp/mag and some kind of weird clamp system. I feel really lost with this stuff.

I've heard good things about the GW product but haven't used it myself (click). I just realized this wouldn't have the magnifier or light, I have see some ring lights that also have a magnifier but never a combo of all three. Might it be possible for you to have 2 separate items for this?

I will also tomorrow link a good youtube video I've seen on different ways to deal with tremors for miniature painting and so on. I'm a bit too tired right now to go digging.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
You're going to be looking at the model from multiple angles, so a separate stand and light/magnifier is probably the way to go, so they can be adjusted separately. That said, the three-in-one products do exist. Soldering and jewelry clamps are good things to search for.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Thinking about picking up a resin 3d printer and was wondering which printer people generally recommend!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

Thinking about picking up a resin 3d printer and was wondering which printer people generally recommend!

I'm liking the Anycubic Photon Mono. It's pretty drat nice for the price. Most 2k resolution printers will be able to print up to 100 layers pr. mm. so that's not an issue, but they generally have a pixel size of 0.05mm so you'll sometimes see voxel lines. I've seen 4k printers with 0.035mm pixels, which minimizes the problem.
I will say that I'm able to hide the lines completely with a layer of slightly thicker paint.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

big cummers ONLY posted:

Something like this maybe? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolour-Soldering-Magnifying-Adjustable-Flexible/dp/B07XYL3R8F/ref=psdc_1939419031_t2_B07233QBBS Googling "soldering extra hand" or "soldering third hand" gets you lots of similar products, but that one has a small lamp and many clamps. Most of them are just the clamps, some are the clamps and a magnifier, that one is the first one I've seen with clamps, magnifier and small lamp.

I do feel like you might be better off with seperate products though, maybe clamps and a magnifier/light to make it easier to see the model from different angles without having to fiddle with the clamps. Plus if it turns out the clamps are poo poo but the light is good you only need to look for an alternative to the clamps rather than starting over.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Finished painting up a few Wall of Martyrs boxes, Imperial Defence Line, Emplacement and Bunker:

https://imgur.com/a/DskKkGS

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Assessor of Maat posted:

crossed posting

I enjoy these guys greatly. The color of the base makes it almost look like it's grown a thin layer of mold filament over it.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Thanks for the suggestions, I grabbed the Citadel assembly doohickey and a separate light/magnifying glass. I'm excited!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

The Easy Rider posted:

I run my acrylic varnish at around 30 PSI and don't thin it. A couple of light coats should do you for most things, but of course there's all kinds of stupid airbrush tricks you can do once you're more comfortable working with the tools.

The mecha line is supposedly a little more durable, but I haven't noticed any real difference either on my game figures or scale models. As long as you like the primer, you're good to go.

Yeast posted:

I'm finding the AK interactive matte and ultra matte are also great.

Since I got them I've finally put the Dullcote in the drawer, likely to never be used again. Maybe on terrain?

Is there a secret to AK Ultra Matte? I shook the hell out of it, thinned it, didn't thin it, all kinds of stuff and it still comes out pretty satiny no matter what.

---

I've been painting a bunch of stuff the past couple days. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I grabbed the Citadel assembly doohickey and a separate light/magnifying glass. I'm excited!
was it you who mentioned having tremors upthread? you might have seen these videos already but in case you haven’t they’re super useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqp76vAJu9g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwEwXnwq8nI