Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Finally got around to taking photos of these after a month:

more pictures here if you're so inclined: https://imgur.com/a/NX5GRvH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Assessor of Maat posted:

Finally got around to taking photos of these after a month:

more pictures here if you're so inclined: https://imgur.com/a/NX5GRvH

Nice! Out of curiosity, how did you do the cut-away/edging for the hills on the right-hand base? Never thought about doing that before. (Mostly because I've got no idea how I'd do it, mind you! I'm a pretty novice model-assembler)

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Major Isoor posted:

Nice! Out of curiosity, how did you do the cut-away/edging for the hills on the right-hand base? Never thought about doing that before. (Mostly because I've got no idea how I'd do it, mind you! I'm a pretty novice model-assembler)

It's nothing fancy; since the the raised surface is putty (apoxie sculpt in this case) once it's properly adhered and given the desired shape and texture I just cut the excess off before it cures using the angle of the base as a guide for the side of the blade, and smooth it off. Once cured it's really simple to fix any difference in angle, etc. with a file/sandpaper and more putty.

Here's one that's just waiting for the final layer of greenstuff fungus bits to illustrate:

I hope that helps?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Assessor of Maat posted:

It's nothing fancy; since the the raised surface is putty (apoxie sculpt in this case) once it's properly adhered and given the desired shape and texture I just cut the excess off before it cures using the angle of the base as a guide for the side of the blade, and smooth it off. Once cured it's really simple to fix any difference in angle, etc. with a file/sandpaper and more putty.

Here's one that's just waiting for the final layer of greenstuff fungus bits to illustrate:

I hope that helps?

Oh man, you're making me want to get into playing stuff like Adeptus Titanicus, with that scenery! Since is that like, a gully or a creek under him? It looks like it from that photo - looks good, either way!

drat, if I was actually any good at basing (especially water effects) I'd love to do various bases like that. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe even a snow-/alpine-themed team. Since then I could have one of the mechs walking through the middle of a frozen lake/river. So it's all flat white, except around its feet and its 'footprints' behind it, where there's water and small chunks of ice...hrm...

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Major Isoor posted:

Oh man, you're making me want to get into playing stuff like Adeptus Titanicus, with that scenery! Since is that like, a gully or a creek under him? It looks like it from that photo - looks good, either way!

drat, if I was actually any good at basing (especially water effects) I'd love to do various bases like that. Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe even a snow-/alpine-themed team. Since then I could have one of the mechs walking through the middle of a frozen lake/river. So it's all flat white, except around its feet and its 'footprints' behind it, where there's water and small chunks of ice...hrm...

All I can say is DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO ADVANCED SCALE MODELING TUTORIALS :getin:

And yeah that's a little creek, aiming for something like the toxic jungle in Nausicaä so trying to keep the terrain varied. People go for the same old "gravel and texture paste, it's desert, job done" too much, Titanicus is right in a range ideal to open up all kinds of options you don't get with larger scale stuff. It's more effort but a lot of fun, even just planning it all out.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The Baumann posted:

So far I've mostly been keeping an eye on cursed city just because the models own but are these games good to play?

Silver Tower was a lot of fun. We'd grab beers and pizza and play it for a few hours every other week. Genuinely a good time.

It was a game that appeared really easy to walk through, then you could get to a certain room, and if luck wasn't on your side, you could party wipe. I liked that it wasn't a cake walk every time.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Titanicus is getting new Volkite weapons for the Warhound, Reaver & Warlord:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/25/pop-void-shields-like-bubbles-with-adeptus-titanicus-new-volkite-weapons/

When the Warmaster is released, I was already planning on buying some Warhounds to make a full maniple with my solitary Murderlords Warbringer that was painted just before lockdown began. Volkite weapons fit perfectly into that list, as the Warhounds will run around stripping shields for the big guys to deliver the killing blow.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Major Isoor posted:

AT bases are dead easy to make look nice and show scale - a little plasticard, textured optional, some plastic rod or beams, and you can get some really nice effects really simply:

The Volkite weapons raised a question for me! The article says that Voidbreaker (X) means you roll X extra dice per hit, but the rules (quoted in the article even) say you roll X extra dice if you hit, which suggests to me just that many if you hit at all, rather than per hit. Doesn't seem to be covered in the FAQ either.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Giant Ethicist posted:

AT bases are dead easy to make look nice and show scale - a little plasticard, textured optional, some plastic rod or beams, and you can get some really nice effects really simply:

These look awesome!

To add to this, the industrial scenery set is full of good bits for base decoration too, including tiny munitorum containers!

And if you can find them on ebay, the old plastic ruins from Epic 40k are cool too:

Giant Ethicist posted:

The Volkite weapons raised a question for me! The article says that Voidbreaker (X) means you roll X extra dice per hit, but the rules (quoted in the article even) say you roll X extra dice if you hit, which suggests to me just that many if you hit at all, rather than per hit. Doesn't seem to be covered in the FAQ either.

Yeah the article is wrong. Not the first time there's been a rules mistake in a Warcom article, but that's inevitable when most of them are likely written by 1-2 people who won't know every detail of every game they have to write about.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
SMH at the declining standards of journalism at WarCom :ohdear:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

xtothez posted:

Yeah the article is wrong. Not the first time there's been a rules mistake in a Warcom article, but that's inevitable when most of them are likely written by 1-2 people who won't know every detail of every game they have to write about.
I figured. Unfortunately, that means that the volkite weapons still probably won't knock megabolters down from their shield-stripping perch. 3 dice gives 2 hits average, so 4 saves from CHOOM, while a megabolter's 6 dice with rapid will give 5 hits on average. And the warlord option is just garbo considering what it's competing with in the arm slot.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Giant Ethicist posted:

As always your paint jobs are outstanding GE. This basework is another feather in your cap. Getting wicked mecha in a city vibes ala Evangelion, Into the Breach and Brigador, realllll nice.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

DrDraxium posted:

As always your paint jobs are outstanding GE. This basework is another feather in your cap. Getting wicked mecha in a city vibes ala Evangelion, Into the Breach and Brigador, realllll nice.

Thanks! I kind of think that with AT it's both really important, and not hugely difficult, to really sell the scale of the models. You see a lot of titans on featureless Martian plains, sadly.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Added a couple of dudes to this kill team and can now field basically any IG kill team I want to. Feels good to finish a project.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Cursed City out next week. Nothing on the cost as yet of course, but it will have 60 minis so I’m sure it’s possible to work out how it compares to other recent boxes.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

Giant Ethicist posted:

Thanks! I kind of think that with AT it's both really important, and not hugely difficult, to really sell the scale of the models. You see a lot of titans on featureless Martian plains, sadly.

You are right, it really helps sell the illusion. Even a simple road to scale being trampled underneath would suffice.

fallingdownjoe posted:

Cursed City out next week. Nothing on the cost as yet of course, but it will have 60 minis so I’m sure it’s possible to work out how it compares to other recent boxes.

Limited to one per customer too. I wonder if this will mean getting a copy on launch day is actually within the (broken) realms of possibility this time around.

EDIT:

Geisladisk posted:

Added a couple of dudes to this kill team and can now field basically any IG kill team I want to. Feels good to finish a project.

This kill team is :krad: !!! Such a great colour scheme which is somehow both striking and understated at the same time. How'd you get the Ogryn scale DKOK helmets?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

LOL good one

At least it's not a one and done release, it should be in production for a minute.

Leak the price though, I want that sweet sweet moment of pained clarity before acknowledging I'm going to buy it anyway.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DrDraxium posted:

This kill team is :krad: !!! Such a great colour scheme which is somehow both striking and understated at the same time. How'd you get the Ogryn scale DKOK helmets?

They're from Makers Cult, I assume the rest of the force is as well.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-models/miniatures/sci-fi/valour-korps-abhuman-builder

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Heck yeah Cursed City.

and hopefully I'll get a copy in the middle of my week off so I can't start painting some dead lads.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Sounds like the price of Cursed City is £125 / €155 / $210, same as the Indomitus box, according to a leaked price list. Not too shabby considering how jam packed the box is.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't know much about Warhammer Quest though those minis look awesome---is there a decent summary about what kind of dungeon crawl game it is? Did people largely enjoy its sister game Blackstone Fortress?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I don't know much about Warhammer Quest though those minis look awesome---is there a decent summary about what kind of dungeon crawl game it is? Did people largely enjoy its sister game Blackstone Fortress?

Haven't seen it myself yet, but GW put up a how to play video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN3vORLsfG0

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Other details including the video are also here.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/03/29/outrun-a-horrifying-tide-of-pure-death-magic-in-cursed-citys-journeys/#CursedCityLearnToPlay

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

fallingdownjoe posted:

Out next week? Last I saw the preorders go up next week.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Ah, that’s what I meant.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

my hobby shop group that is getting a few boxes said it's $200

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Has anyone gotten their hands on the new Treebeard kit? I'm curious how the Merry and Pippin fit on his shoulders and if it's just a case of setting them there or if you would want to magnetize them.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Has anyone gotten their hands on the new Treebeard kit? I'm curious how the Merry and Pippin fit on his shoulders and if it's just a case of setting them there or if you would want to magnetize them.

100000% magnetize them

I really want to grab the new Treebeard, but I know it would only lead to wanting the Forge World Quickbeam and aaaa

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
More Cursed City info:

Official price £125 €155 $199

GW online max 1 per person
FLGS stock allocation limited to maximum of 8

So it's probably gonna be hard to find if you're trying to get a copy through this initial release.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Yeah, I think the way to go for Cursed City is going to be:

-Just skip the initial rush and don't stress about it, pick it up in the second round since like BSF the core game is going to be around for a bit
-Maybe worry a little more about expansions

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Speaking of BSF, is there any place that carries the expansions? I didn't realize that the older expansions had apparently gone out of print (or at least aren't on GW's site anymore) when I picked up the base game.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

eBay? For hundreds of dollars. Each.

The prices on the Blackstone expansions is fooking insane.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, your best bet is to find some out of the way store that still has them on the shelf. I've seen the Zoat and final expansion at places, but that's it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh. At what point is it morally acceptable to go with an online seller that is probably a recaster selling the expansions for what seem like acceptable prices?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I would broadly gesture at the entire history of GW's existence for your answer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Randalor posted:

Huh. At what point is it morally acceptable to go with an online seller that is probably a recaster selling the expansions for what seem like acceptable prices?

I used recasters for several FW/extinct GW poo poo a few times. At some point it becomes an issue with zero moral qualms because you cannot get this stuff through any other means

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Randalor posted:

If they wanted you to buy it from them, they would have it in print.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Randalor posted:

Will you be able to sleep at night? If yes, you're good.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This. I mean, there's the argument that if a recaster produces OOP items, they are doing the same service as those who keep old games and software alive, or those who scan old books, or digitize old recordings. That's my thought anyway.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah the biggest thing keeping me away from warhammer quest is worrying about missing a cool expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is absolutely the case.

I missed the boat on the middle BSF expansion and I'll gladly play on photocopies before giving some rear end in a top hat $300+ for a copy. (Without miniatures.)