Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

LeSquide posted:

The Trinity: Adventure! Kickstarter is live (and indeed, back on kickstarter for folks wondering if Onyx Path was going to be doing more IndieGoGo.) Full disclosure, I worked on this, and I think there's some pretty cool stuff in it for anyone interested in 1930s pulp action.

Hell yeah. Adventure! was the second RPG I ever read (after Aberrant) and this is the one I've been waiting for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

VoodooXT posted:

Lol yea, I ordered the limited hardbound Shinobigami and that thing might be real. In any case, it's probably the last KS I support for Andy.

It's REALLY weird how hard Andy fell off the cliff. Tenra Banshen Zero was *fantastic* - just above and beyond. My copy of Ryuutama is great also, even if it ultimately didn't wind up being my flavor of game. Shinobigami has a lesser production than either and, of course, both it and Ryu are awaiting expansion material that's probably never coming.

I feel for the dude, but his communication is terrible. I love that he's worked so hard to give the world access to Japanese games that would otherwise never see the light of day, but he's blown a great name that he built for himself initially.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I'm starting to think Japanese RPG translation is cursed. The Double Cross guy went silent, Andy is going silent, Kamigakari had the embezzlement trouble... I'm a little worried Getsuya is going to spontaneously combust or something if he keeps being professional about Summon Skate.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Tsilkani posted:

I'm starting to think Japanese RPG translation is cursed. The Double Cross guy went silent, Andy is going silent, Kamigakari had the embezzlement trouble... I'm a little worried Getsuya is going to spontaneously combust or something if he keeps being professional about Summon Skate.

Summon Skate was a great project. PDF released, physical books preparing to ship, excellent translation

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tsilkani posted:

Also from Kickstarters I've backed it seemed Golden Sky Stories seemed to work out.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Golden Sky Stories went perfect, plenty of communication lots of support.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just kind of take a "it'll show up at some point" approach to RPG kickstarters. I never got my marked up or physical copy of Inverse World because Mikan understandably disappeared herself from the internet and I just didn't care enough to hassle gnome about it. I did get my copy of Ryuutama, though. Actually, I just checked and it looks like I only got the regular core book for Shinobigami. I guess it's not just me having issues with the LE, based on comments.

Then there was Axes and Anvils. Hoo boy, Axes and Anvils. Oh yeah, and the Machine Age micro games debacle from 2012! Man, fun times going through my list and seeing what I've not gotten from KS.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 26, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Not necessarily regarding RPG kickstarters, but part of me kinda likes the FOMO rush of getting a board game that only got produced once (possibly after a long delay and will they/won't they drama) and either the company stopped making games or went out of business. Okay, okay, I know, it's terrible for the game creator and a lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into the production, but it makes the final product that more crafted and rare. Of course the danger is you lose money if the project never fulfills at all (happened to me about 5 times so far).

Part of why I like the "collection" nature of board games is their difficulty in staying in print and so having something from a few years ago that is a unique, tactile experience is valuable to me.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The first kickstarter I backed that completely poo poo the bed was a goon project - anyone remember Deck of Legends?

Otherwise I'm still getting updates on the oldest ones. Project: Dark being the most-delayed at this point, by a wide margin.

I'll eventually get Katanas and Trenchcoats I'm sure. It's still updating. Despite being more delayed than both Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana and Forest Hymn, I'm confident it's going to arrive. Eventually. Not certain on those other two.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I would like it if the Dee Sanction would stop updating quite so frequently. I want the v1.0+ version of the game, but they're up to 60+ updates now about the physical rewards and like... I only backed for the pdfs, folks. Tone it down a bit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would like it if the Dee Sanction would stop updating quite so frequently. I want the v1.0+ version of the game, but they're up to 60+ updates now about the physical rewards and like... I only backed for the pdfs, folks. Tone it down a bit.

There was a similar issue when Tidal Blades was doing its kickstarter where they kept posting tons and tons of updates that were all just lore dumps. So many people turned the updates off that when it came time to actually get info from people, they had to send out private messages to backers to remind them to check their e-mails instead of just putting an update out saying the same thing.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FirstAidKite posted:

There was a similar issue when Tidal Blades was doing its kickstarter where they kept posting tons and tons of updates that were all just lore dumps. So many people turned the updates off that when it came time to actually get info from people, they had to send out private messages to backers to remind them to check their e-mails instead of just putting an update out saying the same thing.
Really?

They had the opposite problem with Minions of Mordak. Lots of radio silence.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
There's a definite dance to KS updates. A lot of projects I back go months of radio silence and turns out its just "Yep, just waiting our turn at the printers, yep just waiting for a container ship, yep just waiting for the bigass ship to get unwedged from the Suez" and others actually put out those updates weekly and get to update #75 with no real substance.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

One of the things is Kickstarter has a cool feature where backers can mash a button demanding an update, so you can be in a position where all you're doing is waiting on a boat for 3 months, but every couple of weeks or so you get an anxiety inducing email telling you exactly how many people have mashed the button since your last update. So either you put up with that or post an update to make it stop for a lil bit. Means you end up saying not a whole lot over and over again

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

dwarf74 posted:

Otherwise I'm still getting updates on the oldest ones. Project: Dark being the most-delayed at this point, by a wide margin.

I constantly forget I backed this. Based on the sporadic updates, it does seem the creator is still working on it, so maybe I'll get my book one day. Not holding my breath though.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

One of the things is Kickstarter has a cool feature where backers can mash a button demanding an update, so you can be in a position where all you're doing is waiting on a boat for 3 months, but every couple of weeks or so you get an anxiety inducing email telling you exactly how many people have mashed the button since your last update. So either you put up with that or post an update to make it stop for a lil bit. Means you end up saying not a whole lot over and over again

I much prefer the “hey we’re waiting for XYZ and we will give another update probably saying the same thing in a month” approach to the projects that just go dark for 6 months at a stretch. As a creator I imagine backers would drive you insane no matter what you do though.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I backed a KS for a cat water fountain and the hostility in the comments was unreal like its a cat water fountain. calm the gently caress down

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Man I feel bad about clicking that button now. I always am like "hmm, I wonder how things are going" but I didn't realize the creators got raked over the coals for it on the back end

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CODChimera posted:

I backed a KS for a cat water fountain and the hostility in the comments was unreal like its a cat water fountain. calm the gently caress down

MY CAT IS DEHYDRATED YOU CALM DOWN

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CODChimera posted:

I had backed a $99 machine that served as a mini beer tap for single cans or bottles with just batteries, didn’t need extra gas cartridges or whatever. I thought it worked pretty well, but the comments were brutal, everyone acted like it sucker punched their elderly mother in the face and kidnapped their kid. Maybe I just got lucky with my one.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I've backed a couple of goon KSes (Apotheosis Drive X and The Reunion card game). Both took giant flaming dumps.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

The first kickstarter I backed that completely poo poo the bed was a goon project - anyone remember Deck of Legends?

One of my first and only big Kickstarter failures, out a cool $150. I've been fairly lucky that most of the projects I've backed haven't flaked or failed to deliver.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

JazzFlight posted:

I had backed a $99 machine that served as a mini beer tap for single cans or bottles with just batteries, didn’t need extra gas cartridges or whatever. I thought it worked pretty well, but the comments were brutal, everyone acted like it sucker punched their elderly mother in the face and kidnapped their kid. Maybe I just got lucky with my one.

Is there any practical point at all to such a device other than "oh neat"? Just curious if I'm missing something that it enables vs like, pouring the can into a glass.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

armorer posted:

Is there any practical point at all to such a device other than "oh neat"? Just curious if I'm missing something that it enables vs like, pouring the can into a glass.
Oh, sorry for not pointing out the main gimmick: it uses sound waves to produce really fine foam for a perfect head you can control the size of (pull handle towards you for liquid, then near the end push the handle for foam). The foam produced has a very small uniform bubble size, so it makes a creamy, almost beer milkshake consistency on top. It’s quite unique and elevates even super cheap lite beers into a premium experience. Think of like turning a Miller Lite can into a Guinness pint (regarding the head foam).

It was called the Fizzics Waytap.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161302347/fizzics-waytap-untap-the-full-taste-of-beer-with-s

There was a design flaw where it drains the battery if you don’t take the lid off when you’re done, so I took the lid off when I’m done and use rechargeable eneloops instead of yelling in the comments.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 26, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JazzFlight posted:

Oh, sorry for not pointing out the main gimmick: it uses sound waves to produce really fine foam for a perfect head you can control the size of (pull handle towards you for liquid, then near the end push the handle for foam). The foam produced has a very small uniform bubble size, so it makes a creamy, almost beer milkshake consistency on top.

How do you clean it between beers, if people are drinking different kinds? Just run some water through?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Subjunctive posted:

How do you clean it between beers, if people are drinking different kinds? Just run some water through?
Yeah, you put a glass of water in the chamber and just pull the handle.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

One of my first and only big Kickstarter failures, out a cool $150. I've been fairly lucky that most of the projects I've backed haven't flaked or failed to deliver.
Ouch!

I think I was only out $15 or something like that. So no big deal. It's weird that's the only one that's totally failed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

I got a refund on that one, myself, so it could’ve been worse.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The only dead/delayed kickstarter I've backed that I'm grumpy about is the Spellbound Kingdoms expansion. I don't care that much about the money, I just want my neat swashbuckling book :(

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
My only experience with "they just took the money and ran" so far is Barkley 2. Thankfully only $15.

So far everything else has come and been pretty good when it did, though frequently late.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 26, 2021

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I got bit by Barkley, too.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

lol, I'm still waiting for Ghost Song.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, you put a glass of water in the chamber and just pull the handle.

Father’s Day is sorted, then.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Subjunctive posted:

Father’s Day is sorted, then.
Note this is from a couple years back so I'm guessing they have a better model in stores by now. Ahhh, just checked, it's called DraftPour.

Also remember I liked it and worked around its issues, but there were a lot of angry customers, so hopefully I'm not just an anomaly. Maybe watch a couple reviews on YouTube first. I bet they fixed them in the new model.

It is definitely still the best way to drink cheap beer, though.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chKt4ZNanYo

Holy poo poo, look at the comments, people are so loving salty! Do they not see the difference in the quality of the head? Even the reviewer is pointing out the taste difference between a poured bottle and one out of the machine and they just ignore him. Not sure why he decided to heart their comments when they're the opposite of his final review.

EDIT 2: LOL, sorry all for the long derail considering this isn't about tabletop games. Uhhh, maybe it fits with "beer & pretzels" dice-chucking ameritrash?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 26, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I mean, it's a wild kickstarter idea, if not a tabletop game. I'm glad it does something extra to help justify the price tag. Otherwise it would fall into the "maybe for $10 as a gimmick?" camp for me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tabletop kickstarters I am extremely interested in:

RPG Printing Spree

quote:

This project will fund a print run of 4 tabletop RPG products. Everything's written and ready to go, but we're asking for your pledge to fund the printing costs.

Barrow Keep: Den of Spies (Zine) - A low-prep, old-school setting, driven by playbooks and adaptable, easy-to-run scenarios. You play the young residents of the Keep who deal with mysteries, treacheries, and intrigues. Includes play kits for 5e, Troika, OSE, and Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells.
Shortsword (Zine) - Welcome to a miserable world of precarious adventure! Grab a couple of six sided die and embark on this journey with a rules light system inspired by grim TTRPGs of old. First time in print!
Bone Marshes (Book) - An OSR adventure module about getting lost in a burning marsh. Includes a ruleset based on Knave and a detailed hex-crawl with dozens of locations and new monsters. This third edition adds a dozen pages of content!
Patron's Cookbook (Book) - A collection of 49 adventures for Dungeon World released over several years during Joe's Patreon. First time in print!

Stonetop

I can't even quote this one, I love the concept (stoneage home-focused) and the layouts (gorgeous) and the idea of two small hardbacks is appealing in ways I cannot describe. Also there's an achieved stretchgoal for a sci-fi variant(?) and I need that.

Coyote and Crow

quote:

Coyote and Crow is a tabletop role playing game set in an alternate future of the Americas where colonization never occurred. Instead, advanced civilizations arose over hundreds of years after a massive climate disaster changed the history of the planet. You'll play as adventurers starting out in the city of Cahokia, a bustling, diverse metropolis along the Mississippi River. It's a world of science and spirituality where the future of technology and legends of the past will collide.

The game is created and led by a team of Native Americans representing more than a dozen tribes and we've built a game that both Natives and non-Natives will thrill to explore and build upon.

The updates for this one have been really thoughtful and interesting to read!

Book of Chance Meetings

quote:

"Okay, so I roll my percentile dice and check the result for the environment through which the party is traveling. It turns up, 'Orc'.... But how many orcs are there? What are they doing here — which, in turn helps answer the related and all-important question, how do they react to meeting the party? It would help to have some cues to jump-start the encounter. But there is no further guidance. Instead, I imagine Gary Gygax glaring at me, visibly annoyed: 'Whaddyou mean? It’s orcs. Deal with it.'"

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I like what Coyote and Crow is doing from a broader perspective - the concept is good, I appreciate that it's a Native-led team, etc - but from a mechanical design perspective it seems pretty iffy to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Luke crane posted a big weepy apology on "perfect RPG" and didn't even manage to say "hey sorry for trying to sneak a known abuser on board". What a tool.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think the pitch video for this is an interesting watch because it's about a couple of different sky creation myths

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/512772051/solani-the-girl-who-made-the-stars

but the pitch video doesn't tell me a damned thing about the actual games so it just feels like an interesting animation history lesson, except I also don't know if it is even an adaptation of any actual myth or if it is faux myth and if it is based on any real myth then I don't know if they've involved anybody from those groups in development or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

jivjov posted:

Luke crane posted a big weepy apology on "perfect RPG" and didn't even manage to say "hey sorry for trying to sneak a known abuser on board". What a tool.
Links help ;)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/burningwheel/the-perfect-rpg/posts/3125191