Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What they need to do is just make a giant salmon cannon and use it to launch the other ships around the obstacle

e: content for new page

Azhais fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Has anyone seen who was in actually charge of the ship at the time of the crash? The Suez requires pilot crews on every vessel that goes through there, and the canal authority charges many thousands of dollars for it, but apparently they spend the ~13 hour transit time just snacking and sleeping.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not specifically who but I keep reading about strong winds and a sandstorm contributing but considering how many ships go through literally all the time it’s hard to imagine this is the first time those two factors came up. I can’t imagine the cause being anything but, to use the mild term, pilot error.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kibayasu posted:

Not specifically who but I keep reading about strong winds and a sandstorm contributing but considering how many ships go through literally all the time it’s hard to imagine this is the first time those two factors came up. I can’t imagine the cause being anything but, to use the mild term, pilot error.

How many ships of that size, though? I imagine there's a lot less of a margin of error with this thing than so many other vessels.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
There was mention of a power outage.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mng posted:

There was mention of a power outage.

They said blackout which I assumed to be power related, but I suppose could be interpreted as "blackout conditions due to a sandstorm"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I loving knew it! They should send me to unstuck it. My rate is $1m/hour, has to be cheaper that what they're doing.

I even have another brilliant idea: cool the ship with some ice, that would arguing it by around 0.5m and get it unstuck.

Azhais posted:

They said blackout which I assumed to be power related, but I suppose could be interpreted as "blackout conditions due to a sandstorm"

Blackout could also be pilot related, you know

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Ok serious suggestion now. Don't they have those dredging ships/barges that can suck up sand or other sediment from the water?

They can throw it quite far away, obviously, so why not get a few of them and start sucking the sand from under the ship, which would eventually free it and let it float.

E: wrong thread but whatever, fits here too

During the Yom Kippur War the Egyptians did pretty much this to breach the Bar Lev Line fortifications on the Suez.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Badr_(1973)#Combat_engineering

quote:

Israeli engineers had constructed a massive artificial sand barrier spanning 160 kilometers (99 mi) of the canal's east bank (except for the Great Bitter Lake, where the width of the canal made a crossing unlikely). To prevent erosion, the sand barrier was supported by concrete, which was one metre (3⅓ ft) above the water at high tide, and three metres (10 ft) above water at low tide. The canal was 180–220 meters (590–720 ft) wide and approximately 18 meters (59 ft) deep. Engineers had to clear seventy passages through this sand wall, each seven metres (23 ft) wide. This meant the removal of 1,500 cubic meters (2,000 cu yd) of sand for each passage. Initially, conventional methods were tested for breaching the sand wall. It was found that, to clear a single passage required 60 men, 1 bulldozer, 600 lb of explosives and five to six hours, uninterrupted by enemy fire. Since the crossing sites would likely be congested and under enemy fire, these methods proved to be impractical and too costly.[38]

The solution to this dilemma was simple but nonetheless ingenious. Late in 1971, an Egyptian officer suggested the use of small, light, gasoline fueled pumps that could be ferried across the canal in inflatable rafts to blast through the sand barrier by hydraulic mining. The suggestion proved worthwhile, and the Egyptian Military ordered some 300 British-made pumps. Tests showed that five of these pumps could remove 1,500 cubic metres of sand in three hours. In 1972 another 150 more powerful German-made pumps were purchased. A combination of three British-made and two German-made pumps made it possible to clear a passage in two hours.[38]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Lev_Line

quote:

Generals Ariel Sharon and Israel Tal objected to the line and argued that it would not succeed in fending off Egyptian attackers.[4] Sharon said that it would pin down large military formations, which would be sitting ducks for deadly artillery attacks,[5] but the line was completed in spring 1970.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alkydere posted:

For a moment I thought you were talking not about potential physics glitches but about how much Evergreen/Evergreen's insurance is liable for over time.

Wasn’t it being operated by a canal pilot at the time? Seems like it’d be on the canal authority in that case, in which case good luck trying to collect from the entity that decides whether or not your ships can transit.

Alternately if the problem was the sandstorm/unexpectedly high winds, then that’s about one of the biggest acts of god ever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wonder what changes will be made to operations in the Suez Canal going forward as a result of the incident.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I wonder what changes will be made to operations in the Suez Canal going forward as a result of the incident.

They'll replace the Huge Fan the blows across the canal with a merely Big Fan

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Platystemon posted:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Phanatic posted:

Wasn’t it being operated by a canal pilot at the time? Seems like it’d be on the canal authority in that case, in which case good luck trying to collect from the entity that decides whether or not your ships can transit.

Alternately if the problem was the sandstorm/unexpectedly high winds, then that’s about one of the biggest acts of god ever.

If there was any kind of malfunction in the ship's controls, though, things would complicate somewhat. Happy times for maritime lawyers! :sureboat:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Phanatic posted:

Theoretically, legally...yes it should have been but apparently the Suez pilots are less than professional from some stuff that's cropped up. Either way I imagine Evergreen's lawyers are working to make sure they're not responsible for a massive bill.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Remove the steering wheel when ships enter the canal so they can't turn sideways. Install rollers on sides of canal so ships stay on course.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Nenonen posted:

Remove the steering wheel when ships enter the canal so they can't turn sideways. Install rollers on sides of canal so ships stay on course.

Bowling bumpers!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phanatic posted:

This is yet to be confirmed. Yes, they had to have a pilot crew on board to make the transit, but apparently Suez Canal pilot crews are notoriously lazy and useless.

https://twitter.com/Nature_Grrrl/status/1375170581725863942

schmug
May 20, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Theoretically, legally...yes it should have been but apparently the Suez pilots are less than professional from some stuff that's cropped up. Either way I imagine Evergreen's lawyers are working to make sure they're not responsible for a massive bill.

Think i read Evergreen merely owns the ship and some other outfit operates it. The amount of finger pointing on this is going to be astounding.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

schmug posted:

Think i read Evergreen merely owns the ship and some other outfit operates it. The amount of finger pointing on this is going to be astounding.

Not to mention that admiralty law probably applies here, so they have to follow freeman-on-land interpretations!

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Nenonen posted:

Not to mention that admiralty law probably applies here, so they have to follow freeman-on-land interpretations!

More like freeship-on-land.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One side of the canal gets dredged, the other side doesn't. So even if the Ever Givens bow was completely freed the stern still might be stuck.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Turn the boat into a apartment building

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

One side of the canal gets dredged, the other side doesn't. So even if the Ever Givens bow was completely freed the stern still might be stuck.

Apparently the side of the canal the bow is stuck on is a lot more shallow than the other side

https://twitter.com/JonJennings/status/1375153985342992389

You can see how far the bow is out of the water from the red waterline being visible under the bow but not under the stern.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rascar Capac posted:

More like stuckship-on-land.

ftfy

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Fingers still crossed for a classic Elon Musk big brain solution tweet storm to really kick the fun into high gear

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Wrr posted:

Fingers still crossed for a classic Elon Musk big brain solution tweet storm to really kick the fun into high gear

Maybe his submarine can help dig the sip out below the waterline!

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

settle down, Bevis

Hmm?
Ah I realized that may have seemed like my opinion, but it isn't. Some people are getting incredibly upset by goons second guessing the intrepid heros working on the canal issue and it's pretty funny.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Apparently the side of the canal the bow is stuck on is a lot more shallow than the other side

https://twitter.com/JonJennings/status/1375153985342992389

You can see how far the bow is out of the water from the red waterline being visible under the bow but not under the stern.

Wow that is worse than I thought, and I already thought it was pretty drat bad. And, of course, the easiest way to fix a grounding like that would usually be to pull really hard and back it off... which obviously isn't an option here. They have to turn it instead, and swing the entire bow.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It’s not an international news event until Elon Musk accuses the excavator of being a pedophile.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Log082 posted:

Wow that is worse than I thought, and I already thought it was pretty drat bad. And, of course, the easiest way to fix a grounding like that would usually be to pull really hard and back it off... which obviously isn't an option here. They have to turn it instead, and swing the entire bow.

Well they somehow got it into this position, so why don't they just do the opposite. Removal is the reverse of installation and so on.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Green Intern posted:

It’s not an international news event until Elon Musk accuses the excavator of being a pedophile.

I'm honestly surprised he hasn't offered to fix this with a battery powered space rocket fired from a tunnel under the ship

yet

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Elon is too busy fact checking the onion and posting in every tesla plant that he deleted his anti-union tweet.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

mobby_6kl posted:

Well they somehow got it into this position, so why don't they just do the opposite. Removal is the reverse of installation and so on.
If I ever had to teach a course about reversible and irreversible processes this boat would be my attention grabber slide.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A third party owns the ship and a third party contractor provides the crew and operates the ship and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what evergreen actually does beside paint their name on the ship

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

shame on an IGA posted:

A third party owns the ship and a third party contractor provides the crew and operates the ship and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around what evergreen actually does beside paint their name on the ship

International shipping is built on layers and layers of shell companies and obfuscation to limit the liability of the actually liable parties.

The Ever Given, when it is freed, will not continue on it's path to Amsterdam. It will most likely be arrested by Egyptian courts and held until the people responsible either come pay for their ship/cargo or they have auctioned it all off.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Or it explodes and takes out the food infrastructure of a whole country.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Read also the tale of the ship that got the ammonium nitrate to Beirut: owner sent a not seaworthy ship which got confiscated and never claimed.
The authorities kept it for some years before moving the cargo to the ill fated warehouse and scuttled that rust bucket.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mr. Nice! posted:

.. they have auctioned it all off.

Uh, I seriously doubt the ship is worth the billions they're going to be going after them for....

Seems like a foregone conclusion she's an Egyptian ship now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How many more days until it counts not only as boatfuckling but also world economic fuckling?