Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

grate deceiver posted:

Cube game arrived, I wasn't expecting there's so much other components. Looks cool as hell, stoked to try it...one day...

"Wow this cool game showed up, I can't wait to maybe play it someday"

Global death plague plus a divorce has really cramped by gaming. I need to pivot HARD to solo games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

jivjov posted:

"Wow this cool game showed up, I can't wait to maybe play it someday"

Global death plague plus a divorce has really cramped by gaming. I need to pivot HARD to solo games
I have really enjoyed Canvas solo. It's a nice, almost meditative experience and you get to make cool art as a product of your play.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Llyranor posted:

I don't even calculate score for Sherlock Consulting Detective. We just investigate as much as we want and enjoy the narrative.

I find it strange that the game's scoring system actively encourages you to jump to conclusions and to soak in as little of the game's narrative as possible.

I think my wife and I investigated something like 12 leads the first time we played and were surprised to see that the target was four , but upon reading the solution we both immediately clicked that the game wants you to work like Holmes...solve the mystery by gathering relevant data, making inductive leaps, and deciding what are the key leads. We like that style better, but obviously the best way to play the game is the way it's most enjoyable to you.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

I think my wife and I investigated something like 12 leads the first time we played and were surprised to see that the target was four , but upon reading the solution we both immediately clicked that the game wants you to work like Holmes...solve the mystery by gathering relevant data, making inductive leaps, and deciding what are the key leads. We like that style better, but obviously the best way to play the game is the way it's most enjoyable to you.

Often the Holmes in the game behaves nonsensically in order to get his score. If you choose to play the game this way - gunning for a good score - you will alternately (and arbitrarily) get rewarded or punished for jumping to reasonable conclusions. And you will miss a ton of the game content - including most of the actual interesting bits of reasoning/evidence. You're effectively just skipping to the end of the book. I fully, absolutely agree with the people who choose to ignore the scores - as there are a few of the mysteries that are actually fun to work out if you take the time to do so.

On Holmes cheating: I'm remembering one in particular where Holmes chooses to visit a theater immediately, where one character had gone before the murder. It makes no sense to do so; randomly going to any place mentioned in the introduction, with no idea what you're looking for there, SHOULD be a mistake. And, indeed, the character going to the theater was actually irrelevant - he had just randomly gone to the theater that night and it should have been a dead end. But if you do go there, you meet an actor who is, like, the murderer or something, and you are advanced far towards the answer. (I don't remember the details, but I remember we tried and failed to make sense of it at the time, and were all blown away by how dumb it was). Holmes getting paid off for going there is absolutely random nonsense. And if your goal is to play like Holmes and finish in 3 moves, you would have missed most of this story. To be fair, this particular cheat may have been another artifact of the terrible edition I played, which also chose to arbitrarily change the answer to some of the mysteries.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 25, 2021

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Taught Spirit Island to two people yesterday (along with a third who'd played a bunch but for some reason still hadn't internalized the "one power, one land" rule). Went up against level 1 Brandenburg-Prussia and we pulled it off despite a bad event card early on. One of the new players was Thunderspeaker and had a great time just clearing out her board. All in all everyone had a blast.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I did enjoy Consulting Detective, but this talk about it also reminds me that any game whose narrative comes from, well, a literal written narrative(*) lives or dies by the quality of its writing. Just like a good mystery story does. If the story doesn't hold together, if the conclusion(s) are thin, etc, it all falls apart.

For a tabletop game it's one thing if the story elements are just flavor or basic setting, but when that narrative needs to be used to make actual gameplay decisions, well then the stakes are higher. Sadly, most written story in boardgamesland is not particularly good.

(*) As opposed to the "narrative" emerging from the game's mechanics & gameplay elements. E.g. Root, Magic Realm, COIN games, etc

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
When are they going to make those sherlock games but you are columbo instead... though I guess the point of columbo is the mystery is solved releatively easily...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Snooze Cruise posted:

When are they going to make those sherlock games but you are columbo instead... though I guess the point of columbo is the mystery is solved releatively easily...

Unlike Sherlock Holmes you get a better score the more questions you ask, about how much their shoes cost and the square footage of their house.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm only 4 cases into the Baker Street Irregulars which was released in 2020, and I've only played the original besides it, but it really messes with the formula in a lot of ways. The cases have all be stellar so far. If you were medium on the 'gamey-ness' of SHCD, I still suggest you try this one.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

SCHD and other narrative games like it are also cool in that you can play through them once and then sell/trade them away

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Unlike Sherlock Holmes you get a better score the more questions you ask, about how much their shoes cost and the square footage of their house.

The culprit gets a terror track which adds to your score and goes up as you find clues or unravel lies.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

incidentally over the last few months I've been taking in a Columbo episode every 1-2 weeks and they are brilliant and still hold up. highly recommended.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
That reminds me, I urgently need to watch all of Columbo and all of Poirot. A propos, are there any boardgames that use Agatha Christie IP's?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

theroachman posted:

That reminds me, I urgently need to watch all of Columbo and all of Poirot. A propos, are there any boardgames that use Agatha Christie IP's?

the mega OOP Mystery Express https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65907/mystery-express is about solving a murder on a train as it travels across Europe. It's not quite the level of the greatest mystery novel of all time, but it's very clever.

A big part of the game is taking hidden notes about which cards you've seen from which players' hands and when, so it's not for everyone.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

played the first 4 tutorial scenarios of JotL over the last few days. the fourth one is a big step up after the first 3 really feeling explicitly like tutorials!

we got in a lot of trouble because my girlfriend (hatchet) played the exhausting ability of her cards almost every time they came up and fainted like 3/4 of the way through. fortunately i was in a really good position to pull enemies onto traps and use area of effect stuff to finish the last couple dudes off. lesson learned!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

jesus WEP posted:

played the first 4 tutorial scenarios of JotL over the last few days. the fourth one is a big step up after the first 3 really feeling explicitly like tutorials!

we got in a lot of trouble because my girlfriend (hatchet) played the exhausting ability of her cards almost every time they came up and fainted like 3/4 of the way through. fortunately i was in a really good position to pull enemies onto traps and use area of effect stuff to finish the last couple dudes off. lesson learned!
Nice!

Yeah scenario 4 is a wake up call lol

There's a GH thread if you want to check in :)

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

the mythos tales version of the sherlock holmes game is a lot of fun. i enjoyed the sherlock one but i started with jack the ripper and tbh it got to be kind of a bummer cause all those victims were real people

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

jesus WEP posted:

My fiancee bounced off normal Gloomhaven pretty hard, but JotL has been dragging her in. I want the normal game to come with a loving scenario book now with all the monsters printed on the pages, because not having to hunt and assemble the board or glance back and forth from the scenario guide to the poo poo you've set up is like night and day.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

John Dyne posted:

My fiancee bounced off normal Gloomhaven pretty hard, but JotL has been dragging her in. I want the normal game to come with a loving scenario book now with all the monsters printed on the pages, because not having to hunt and assemble the board or glance back and forth from the scenario guide to the poo poo you've set up is like night and day.
I was so lukewarm on the scenario book idea at first, but a few scenarios sold me.

I'm not sure the economics that go into it - that's a LOT of custom art for the benefit of not needing tiles - but it's great.

For physical GH we just use a divided file folder to sort tiles by letter and then a few good cheap Plano boxes for the overlay tiles and monsters. So it's pretty drat fast for what it's worth.

It just ain't as fast or pretty as a book. Or clicking a button on TTS for that matter.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

theroachman posted:

Yo, where’s my Columbo boardgame, someone kickstart this ASAP

Let me roll a dice or draw a card for “rummage around the pockets of my filthy trenchcoat” or “annoy the hell out of the murderer”

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

John Dyne posted:

I think eventually Isaac will sell a scenario book for Gloomhaven and Frosthaven but it probably won't come out so soon, maybe in a year or two earliest.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

theroachman posted:

There's a cute little social deduction card game called Death on the Cards that features pretty much all of them. It's not a greatest hit or anything but it's breezy and fun and a decent 10 minute filler.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

StarkRavingMad posted:

Let me roll a dice or draw a card for “rummage around the pockets of my filthy trenchcoat” or “annoy the hell out of the murderer”

The best card in the game would have to be the "Ahh, just one more question..." card

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

I'm not sure the economics that go into it - that's a LOT of custom art for the benefit of not needing tiles - but it's great.

They could reduce the art budget on the book by creating image "tiles" with debris and skulls and such on layers of the image, so that they're there to be toggled.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
A team social deduction game in the vein of Spyfall, with one known criminal and an unknown team of Columbos who know the answer to the mystery, and an unknown team of anti-Columbos who don't. Mystery would be a couple elements from some limited set of motives, means, etc.

The Columbos have to identify everyone else on their team by asking seemingly aimless questions of the criminal, the anti-Columbos have to figure out the answer to the mystery while blending in by asking similarly aimless questions, and the criminal wants to pick out a subset of people who they think don't know the answer.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Post by Candice Harris on the new John Company. Folks she deserves the views, so please read it on BGG if you can.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

alkanphel posted:

I think eventually Isaac will sell a scenario book for Gloomhaven and Frosthaven but it probably won't come out so soon, maybe in a year or two earliest.
I think you're probably right - it'll be well after Frosthaven. I would honestly not be too surprised if there was a Gloomhaven Revisited or something like that which also included balance fixes.

I wish it was an option for FH, but that's not how it was kickstarted and not how it'll be made.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

Post by Candice Harris on the new John Company. Folks she deserves the views, so please read it on BGG if you can.

Read it and looking forward to the Kickstarter. I have NO idea if John Company is For Me but Cole's designs always get my attention and are obviously well-considered. No idea if it could regularly make it to the table with my group once I have a group again, but I'll definitely be looking really closely at it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mayveena posted:

Thanks! I appreciate when people share stuff like this; I have a BGG account but I don't hang out there so I'd otherwise miss it.

I have the original John Company and am super interested in the second edition, even moreso after reading some of the finer points brought up in the linked post.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

SkeletonHero posted:

Death on the Cards

Thanks both, I will check them out!

StarkRavingMad posted:

re:the quote above and other Columbo-game chat: 2P asymmetrical game like Watergate, make it happen! :dance:

theroachman fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 27, 2021

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
I'm picking up someone's copy of Shadows over Normandie: Achtung, Chtulhu! plus assortered expansions cheaply. Game looks pretty cool. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mayveena posted:

Cole's design diaries (which she links at the end of her post) are also well worth the read. I love his thought processes.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I think you're probably right - it'll be well after Frosthaven. I would honestly not be too surprised if there was a Gloomhaven Revisited or something like that which also included balance fixes.

I wish it was an option for FH, but that's not how it was kickstarted and not how it'll be made.

Yeah maybe much later on Isaac can make a Gloomhaven 2nd edition, with all those balance fixes to items and classes. Maybe take hints from Frosthaven to overhaul the Personal Quest system in GH, and have better battle goals as well.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Does anyone have opinions on the Kingdom Rush board game? Someone offered it in a trade, so looking for impressions

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I was playing godzilla tokyo clash outside today and a nasty wind gust carried away some bits. I'm pretty sure I lost a jet token, can anyone tell me how many jets the game comes with? I can't find a component count anywhere.

I'm just going to 3d print some replacement bits anyway, but I'd like to get the count right.

Edit: Disregard, I think I have all the jets.

armorer fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 29, 2021

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
Managed to find a group to play the newly-arrived Oath with, here in Australia. The owner had played one game already so our setup reflected that history. Boy howdy! It’s a brutal teach and learn for the first game, but it has already sunk its claws into me and I am looking forward to playing it again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of, Oath is a really beautiful production (and a big table hog).

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Wow, drop dead gorgeous. Whirligig is firing on all cylinders.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Oath is Leder, but Whirligig did just launch the John Company 2nd edition kickstarter (and Pax Pamir 2 reprint)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243243962/john-company-second-edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, Oath is a really beautiful production (and a big table hog).

Those look so good! I can’t wait for my copy in another month.