Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My playstyle has yet to use bows and spells so I will not miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

This Monster Hunter chat reminds me Dauntless went from a game I enjoyed and preferred over Monster Hunter to just unplayable to me after their big content update and RIP a genre for me again.

What did they end up doing?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Did they? I could swear I've used that ability in Dark Souls 3. It makes the giant soul laser basically into a sniper weapon, if I don't misremember.

You can free-aim like you can in Demon's Souls and DS1, but you can't enter first-person aiming like with a bow. I think it's possible to sort of fake it using binoculars?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

basically what i'd expect from mtg writing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Harrow posted:

You can free-aim like you can in Demon's Souls and DS1, but you can't enter first-person aiming like with a bow. I think it's possible to sort of fake it using binoculars?
Was that ever a thing you could do with spells, though? I'm pretty sure it's not. The binocular was always the only way to precision-aim spells.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I legit just want a new Shandalar... an RPG where the battles are Magic matches. Like the Witcher with the Gwent Replacement Mod but with a good card game

In a similar vein, I enjoyed Thronebreaker. It would be cool if CDPR would make another one of those with a faction that wasn't northern kingdoms.

Also, it would be cool af if there was another game that had the same gameplay loop as Clash of Heroes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think Thronebreaker flopped

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd have preferred Thronebreaker if it was just a puzzle game rather than a puzzle game disguised as a deckbuilder.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jeez, Legends looks awful on every level. I didn't realize it was also a F2P microtransaction hell. There's layers of this crap.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Man this morning sure gave me a weird way to find out Bo Burnham is like a foot taller than I thought he was.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Bo Burnham is excellent and yet still obscure enough that if someone brought him up in real life I'd be gobsmacked

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
He's going to be Larry Bird in an HBO series. It's about the Lakers so I don't know how much screen time he's really going to have I guess.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Just cause he was brought up but both Eight Grade and Zack Stone is Gonna Be Famous are great, Bo Burnham is real good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

He's going to be Larry Bird in an HBO series. It's about the Lakers so I don't know how much screen time he's really going to have I guess.

I could see him getting a decent amount of time just because of the importance of the rivalry between him and Magic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I watched some Monster Hunter videos while doing work and it was a mistake, I want to be able to play right now and I have to get work done :negative:

Apparently the demo was extremely not representative of how the insect glaive actually plays in Rise because it looks like the glaive has just about everything I ever could've wished for and I am so hyped to dragoon dive on monsters

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

VideoGames posted:

My playstyle has yet to use bows and spells so I will not miss it.

have fun in amana!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Looper posted:

have fun in amana!

Only 3 hours and 20 minutes to go :twisted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Monster Hunter Rise, the Felyne's working away doing various jobs around the village, is so adorable and cute. :3: They are the best thing about Monster Hunter, and I really want a craft/farming game where you get to play as them. I know Capcom has released a game about them in Japan for the PSP/Vita, but it never came to the U.S.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I said come in! posted:

In Monster Hunter Rise, the Felyne's working away doing various jobs around the village, is so adorable and cute. :3: They are the best thing about Monster Hunter, and I really want a craft/farming game where you get to play as them. I know Capcom has released a game about them in Japan for the PSP/Vita, but it never came to the U.S.

Would you recommend Rise to a newcomer into the franchise? I tried playing a Monster Hunter title on the Wii many years ago and bounced off of it after a couple hours- haven't really explored any of the games since.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not a good person to ask, I ultra suck at this series. Apparently Rise is suppose to be one of the more accessible games, but it's still very challenging.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

World is the accessible one but by all accounts they've apparently learned a lot of lessons from it to make new players feel welcome.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
MTG has great lore if you only read the little snippets of information you get on the cards themselves

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Saint Freak posted:

It took me multiple times to not read that as Larry Sanders for some reason. Now that would be weird

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Simone Magus posted:

MTG has great lore if you only read the little snippets of information you get on the cards themselves
I bought a booster pack of Magic cards on a whim once and I still wonder who Tojirai is. It had this swamp creature and the blurb went something like "Silent as a snake, twisted as a mangrove tree, black as Tojirai's heart."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

I bought a booster pack of Magic cards on a whim once and I still wonder who Tojirai is. It had this swamp creature and the blurb went something like "Silent as a snake, twisted as a mangrove tree, black as Tojirai's heart."

that's this lady

there were some other cards that had quotes from her as their flavor text

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Childhood mystery solved! It is not as cool as I thought it would be.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Monster hunter day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ULRHwo2Gs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cardiovorax posted:

That is the Dakmor Sorceress, aka Tojira the Swamp Queen

Efb

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Billy Gnosis posted:

It took me multiple times to not read that as Larry Sanders for some reason. Now that would be weird

I can't believe Garry Shandling is joining the NBA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I guess let me share the flavor text that has stuck with me all these years

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

dang these cards have barely any ATK/DEF

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I didn’t like Eighth Grade, but I love Bo and his (problematic) standup. He’s also excellent in Promising Young Woman and that movie is why I now unironically listen to Paris Hilton’s song “Stars Are Blind”

Promising Young Woman is excellent but TW for sexual assault (discussed and overheard), suicide (discussed), and a really prolonged murder scene that’s not bloody but hard to watch

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess let me share the flavor text that has stuck with me all these years

Well, now I'm sad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When I played Magic I had a deck of Slivers that could shoot off an infinite combo of slivers with infinite power or something too iirc. It played against a deck of infinite squirrels and some other player and after we wiped the third guy off the face of the earth we had to use some big boy math to figure out which set of infinity was greater and thus won when the squirrels attacked

It was the squirrels lmao

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
NG2: Oh my god I'm absolutely wrecking poo poo now. I levelled the scythe up to max and I'm just tearing through everything. I spanked the whole of the blood temple level without a single death including a stairway fight against literally a hundred ninjas and the boss fight against the main Big Bad of the story. I'm good at a Ninja Gaiden game what the gently caress :stare:

I could have done without the naked lady bathing in blood cutscene though :gonk:

wuggles posted:

I didn’t like Eighth Grade, but I love Bo and his (problematic) standup. He’s also excellent in Promising Young Woman and that movie is why I now unironically listen to Paris Hilton’s song “Stars Are Blind”

Promising Young Woman is excellent but TW for sexual assault (discussed and overheard), suicide (discussed), and a really prolonged murder scene that’s not bloody but hard to watch

Promising Young Woman is an amazing movie that every man should watch and Stars Are Blind is and always was a banger

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I heard about this insane Magic deck once that revolved around forcing your opponent into sub-games of magic that would resolve the attack which would then spawn more sub-games of magic and basically make your opponents surrender from sheer frustration and just wanting to go home already.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
my buddies buddy had a magic the gathering deck that was full of flying unkillable angels and you could just keep spawning more angels until you overwhelmed the opponent with angelic vigour

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cardiovorax posted:

I heard about this insane Magic deck once that revolved around forcing your opponent into sub-games of magic that would resolve the attack which would then spawn more sub-games of magic and basically make your opponents surrender from sheer frustration and just wanting to go home already.

The card that does that is from the joke set of cards that includes things like Cheatyface, where you are allowed to play it any time unless the opponent notices you did that, in which case, remove it from the game (and also the card is supposed to cost 3 mana but only costs 2, because the character on it cheated and removed one of the mana icons), and another card where you tear it up and throw it at the game in progress - any cards that get hit by the pieces is destroyed, or a spoof on the famous black lotus card that instead of giving you three mana gives you one million mana. There's also a card that just makes you restart the game

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 26, 2021

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

RBA Starblade posted:

The card that does that is from the joke set of cards that includes things like Cheatyface, where you are allowed to play it any time unless the opponent notices you did that, in which case, remove it from the game (and also the card is supposed to cost 3 mana but only costs 2, because the character on it cheated and removed one of the mana icons), and another card where you tear it up and throw it at the game in progress - any cards that get hit by the pieces is destroyed, or a spoof on the famous black lotus card that instead of giving you three mana gives you one million mana. There's also a card that just makes you restart the game

One of the best was cheese stands alone, if it's the only monster on the field you win the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, that makes the game certainly sound a lot more sane, although also a lot less funny.