Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Renegret posted:

This will forever be a fight between my wife and I.

As an early childhood educator she will swear up and down about the important of sensory activities. Except, unfortunately, these sensory activities make a huge mess. And guess who needs to clean it up?

Water beads, kinetic sand, play dough, we've had it all. Sandbox on the patio outside. When she's baking, she'll give him a pile of flour and let him go wild. He loves the gently caress out of it, but I feel like I spend an hour or more cleaning every day. I started putting his cups in the dishwasher. She's not a fan but, if I'm sick and tired of washing all these cups by hand. How does a 2 year old generate more dishes than 2 full grown adults?

e: I did win the fight with the orbeez though. The water + mess + difficulty to clean up just utterly broke me.

Yeah, playdoh is about where I draw the line, and my wife is a lot less tolerant of mess than me! Water tables outdoor is great and just digging in the garden is fine as long they hop in the shower when coming inside.

Anything like that make your own slime etc, no that is not allowed. It’s just messy trash, if they want to get mucky they can make some garden mud (we should really get a sandbox sometime) and go nuts outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Renegret posted:

This will forever be a fight between my wife and I.

As an early childhood educator she will swear up and down about the important of sensory activities. Except, unfortunately, these sensory activities make a huge mess. And guess who needs to clean it up?

Water beads, kinetic sand, play dough, we've had it all. Sandbox on the patio outside. When she's baking, she'll give him a pile of flour and let him go wild. He loves the gently caress out of it, but I feel like I spend an hour or more cleaning every day. I started putting his cups in the dishwasher. She's not a fan but, if I'm sick and tired of washing all these cups by hand. How does a 2 year old generate more dishes than 2 full grown adults?

e: I did win the fight with the orbeez though. The water + mess + difficulty to clean up just utterly broke me.

Wait, why doesn't your wife like you putting the cups in the dishwasher? That's what it's for!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Koivunen posted:

Pre-kids I envisioned making lots of new mom friends and having regular play dates and being really active with my kids. It didn’t work out like that. I know I’m not alone but god it sure feels like I am.

I’m sorry your friend is moving. Your feelings seem perfectly valid. This pandemic has been extremely isolating, and it’s difficult to lose a friend even during normal times.

I went part time at work in February 2020 and was all excited to start doing outings and activities with the baby, now that winter was almost over and she had gotten old enough to start enjoying those things. Was going to hang out with local moms, take the train into the city, start taking her with us to restaurants. Turns out the part time move was massively helpful, but not in the way we planned.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

If I can’t throw every piece of a cup into the dishwasher it is dead to me :colbert:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

priznat posted:

Water tables outdoor is great and just digging in the garden is fine as long they hop in the shower when coming inside.

Why can’t they just stand in the shower like a normal person

hooah posted:

Wait, why doesn't your wife like you putting the cups in the dishwasher? That's what it's for!

Probably just the kiddo cups—those things can be washed in the dishwasher, but so many of them have spouts and internal straws and such that there’s a ton of nooks and crannies where curdled milk and worse, mold can accumulate. You eventually have to take a pipe cleaner/straw cleaner to them anyhow, and if you get behind on dishes curdled milk is tough to get out. I know our dishwasher won’t really take care of that because it sucks at cleaning and is really only good at sterilizing already-clean stuff and even better at leaving hard water stains on it despite the presence of jet-dry

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nwin posted:

I am you and you are me.

Buying a roomba has given me back a small amount of sanity. I run it almost every day and it drives my wife insane but my floors are clean so I don’t give a gently caress.

Roombas should be required in all households by law :colbert:

1) it will absolutely eat any paper, cell phone charging cords etc random crap left on the floor. My wife and I weren't super messy to begin with but we've really stepped up our "no crap on the floor the Roomba can't ingest" game

2) it's impossible to undrrstate just now much cleaner the floors are with a device that cleans every day. I grew up pretty typical messy goon with a wide tolerance for mess. I can now tell if the Roomba hasn't run in two days based on how my bare feet feel on the wood floors

3) actively contributes to our relationship, nobody ever fights over who cleaned last, who needs to clean next. House is always above average clean now. Mom and dad are always pleased with the cleanliness of the house, and if not, we're just one "ok google, clean the nursery" away from that chore being done

The latest i7 roombas know what room they're in. The cat's litter box is in the guest bathroom. I just have the Roomba clean that room every three hours. Unless my mother in law is coming over, I've never had to sweep up cat litter.

With work from home covid poo poo, on the 11am and 5pm cleaning cycles, I have the Roomba do a double pass on the kitchen as well, so the kitchen floor is clean for when it's time to make lunch/dinner. Got crumbs and poo poo on the counter? Just wipe that poo poo onto the floor, roomba robot slave will clean up later

Then finally it does a double pass on the entire house every night at 3:30am when everyone is dead asleep

And then recently we got a braava robot mopping slave, because the kid is going to start crawling soon

I would probably give up the dish washer, clothes dryer and disposable diapers before we gave up the Roomba

It's just really really hard to describe how much cleaner the house is when it gets fully vacuumed every day for 1+ hours

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

life is killing me posted:

Probably just the kiddo cups—those things can be washed in the dishwasher, but so many of them have spouts and internal straws and such that there’s a ton of nooks and crannies where curdled milk and worse, mold can accumulate. You eventually have to take a pipe cleaner/straw cleaner to them anyhow, and if you get behind on dishes curdled milk is tough to get out. I know our dishwasher won’t really take care of that because it sucks at cleaning and is really only good at sterilizing already-clean stuff and even better at leaving hard water stains on it despite the presence of jet-dry

The clear cups are starting to get cloudy, I think I should turn off the high temp setting. Thinking the heat's doing a number on them. But otherwise, yeah, the concern is more the lids. I take the lids apart and the straws I still do by hand but she doesn't fully trust it. Personally, I don't give a poo poo, it's a ton of work and I'm sick of doing it every single day.

I don't have a roomba, but I do have a dumb robot vacuum. I named him Greg. Greg is an idiot.

I need to babysit it because my kid's #1 favorite toy in the world are mardi gras beads and the vacuum will happily suck them up and get wrapped up in them. And no matter how closely I inspect the room first, Greg will still manage to find one and need rescuing. I'd love to live in a world where I can set it on a schedule and not worry about it ever again but we're not quite there yet. It just doesn't feel clean if I'm not picking all the toys and chairs off the floor so it can get to those spots.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Renegret posted:

The clear cups are starting to get cloudy, I think I should turn off the high temp setting. Thinking the heat's doing a number on them. But otherwise, yeah, the concern is more the lids. I take the lids apart and the straws I still do by hand but she doesn't fully trust it. Personally, I don't give a poo poo, it's a ton of work and I'm sick of doing it every single day.

I don't have a roomba, but I do have a dumb robot vacuum. I named him Greg. Greg is an idiot.

I need to babysit it because my kid's #1 favorite toy in the world are mardi gras beads and the vacuum will happily suck them up and get wrapped up in them. And no matter how closely I inspect the room first, Greg will still manage to find one and need rescuing. I'd love to live in a world where I can set it on a schedule and not worry about it ever again but we're not quite there yet. It just doesn't feel clean if I'm not picking all the toys and chairs off the floor so it can get to those spots.

I also have a dipshit knock off Roomba that will suicide into the shower and get stuck on the sliding door every time. But man does it pick up a ton of dust even when it does a half assed job.

The other 3 parents (my spouse lol) aren’t happy that offering the nanny slightly less money per hour to make it up with overtime payments wasn’t immediately accepted. The new thinking is that she is worried about fluctuating hours, especially with two children involved.

So I wrote up a new contract with a guaranteed weekly salary + overtime that pays pretty much the same as the flat hourly rate we agreed to, but is better for her if we try to shaft her on hours. Let’s see what everybody thinks about this one.

I’m gonna laugh if my wife loses the nanny share because she’s trying to save $60 a week (essentially raising the costs to us by 50% instead). Oh well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would like to get a roomba but with kids and a couple dogs and a cat I’m afraid it will get jammed up within 30 seconds of a run :haw:

I guess if I pre-vacuum first and let it run frequently it should keep on top of it, but even still some long dog fur may do a number on it!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We didn't get the Roomba setup for the first two months after we moved into our new place, and it took about two weeks for the Roomba to catch up. Once it got caught up, the amount of crap it was pulling off the floor dropped dramatically. It takes longer to get caught up with carpet I think, my guess is because the carpet is a giant sponge for hair and grit

The i7 and up have an auto-empty feature where they empty all the collected dog hair into a much much larger bin, so as long as it doesn't ingest an errant sock it can't spit out (the i7 seems to be a lot less likely to be crippled by socks and underwear than the older 600 series). It's $$$ so we don't have one yet, but our kid recently has picked up the habit of shredding kleenex into tiny tiny confetti, so, maybe

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why does my 4 month old thrash about like her soul will evaporate if she falls asleep, for about the last 30 minutes before she finally passes out. We've ruled out food, water, diaper physical discomfort etc. It's obvious it's time for a nap but it's like she's.... Fighting sleep?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

We have a Roomba and it’s dumb and loud. My wife wanted to throw it in the garbage one day, and she was the one who wanted it. I’d upgrade to a smarter one, but the one we have has disappeared (probably under a bed or something) and no one has cared enough to save it from its plight. I don’t like the weird random trails in the carpet or the fact we have to pick up the house just to to clean, but also since we work from home and the thing is loud as gently caress we have to shut the doors or just turn it off

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
We have a Roomba that's supposed to be smart but is dumb as hell and gets stuck constantly and frequently can't remember where it is. We upgraded to it from a "dumb" Eufy that did a much better job cleaning.

Not that it matters. Our kid hates the sound of it and if it runs will press the button to send it home. The only time we can actually have our house vacuumed is when he's at his grandparents on Friday afternoons :sigh:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Blinkz0rz posted:

We have a Roomba that's supposed to be smart but is dumb as hell and gets stuck constantly and frequently can't remember where it is. We upgraded to it from a "dumb" Eufy that did a much better job cleaning.

Not that it matters. Our kid hates the sound of it and if it runs will press the button to send it home. The only time we can actually have our house vacuumed is when he's at his grandparents on Friday afternoons :sigh:

Yeah-we have the roborock and it allows for mapping of the rooms and we can select certain rooms for it to clean, etc, so it does actual parallel lines in the carpet and it doesn’t look like a etch-a-sketch drawing. Our kid doesn’t like being near it and tells it to “go home” to its docking station. I just run it upstairs when we’re all downstairs and then run it downstairs while we give him a bath upstairs. We also still do a deep vacuum and mop every few weeks but it’s so nice for all the loving crumbs this kid carries with him-also helps with the cat hair.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Why does my 4 month old thrash about like her soul will evaporate if she falls asleep, for about the last 30 minutes before she finally passes out. We've ruled out food, water, diaper physical discomfort etc. It's obvious it's time for a nap but it's like she's.... Fighting sleep?

Baby.exe is working as intended.

Our little fatso does the same thing. The more tired he is the more manic and anti-bedtime he is. Always.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

Same.
Maybe our didn't actually persist for 30 minutes but ... Sometimes we had to resort to physically restraining her, and then within half a minute she would give up and start dozing off. That stopped before 1 year of age, I believe, it's hard to remember dates and times in hindsight...

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

How do the latest roombas and roomba like devices do with floor transitions?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
We got one of them super swaddles that acts as a lil newborn straight jacket. Busted it out one day when lil dude was extra wiggly and it turns your baby into a grub. Super cute watching him inch around all worm like. I lacked heart and put him in a regular swaddle before I went down.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alterian posted:

How do the latest roombas and roomba like devices do with floor transitions?

Mine doesn’t have an issue going from carpet to hardwood to tile. Most specs say how high the vacuums can “step up” nowadays.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

KirbyKhan posted:

We got one of them super swaddles that acts as a lil newborn straight jacket. Busted it out one day when lil dude was extra wiggly and it turns your baby into a grub. Super cute watching him inch around all worm like. I lacked heart and put him in a regular swaddle before I went down.

Yeah I love those :) I call my baby my little glow worm when he is being cute and nice and a little meal worm when he is crabby and aggro.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

remigious posted:

Yeah I love those :) I call my baby my little glow worm when he is being cute and nice and a little meal worm when he is crabby and aggro.

Do you pull the hood all the way up so the only thing exposed is baby face?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
When my kid was in the PURPLE crying phase we would strap him in a super thick wool bear suit which left only his face exposed and he would instantly calm down and go to sleep. It was very cute. Now my kid is 15 months old and cries because he sees a banana in a book, decides he wants a banana, and we don't have bananas in the house and we have to spend a half hour carefully soothing his panic attack-like sobs. I feel like I'm not supposed to be nostalgic for the early days yet but I am.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

KirbyKhan posted:

Do you pull the hood all the way up so the only thing exposed is baby face?

Oh mine doesn’t have a hood, just covers his legs and body and we strap the arms in.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Hadlock posted:

Totally normal. Our kid does that when lightly sleeping every couple of hours, but never wakes up. IIRC it's something to do with baby REM cycles, and how it's on a shorter cycle than an adult. I didn't pay as close attention to the pediatrician as I should've, but I'm pretty sure it's that.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Eggnogium posted:

When my kid was in the PURPLE crying phase we would strap him in a super thick wool bear suit which left only his face exposed and he would instantly calm down and go to sleep. It was very cute. Now my kid is 15 months old and cries because he sees a banana in a book, decides he wants a banana, and we don't have bananas in the house and we have to spend a half hour carefully soothing his panic attack-like sobs. I feel like I'm not supposed to be nostalgic for the early days yet but I am.

I feel like a big part of why parenting works and hence why more people don't get angry enough at their kids to actually kill them, is nostalgic memories of that little grub, softening any edge of anger... I guess there is a psychological term for it. Connection?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We have a 10 month old and a 2.5ish year old and the difference in 'how easy it is to deal with them' is night and day (the toddler is a nightmare sometimes and the baby is super easy to deal with: naps a lot, etc). I went over to my ex-boss' house a couple of years ago and he introduced me to both of his kids, who were BOTH READING and I was like "this shows that my parenthood future will be easy" but they were something like 6 and 8, or 8 and 10 or something so that's a little way off!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Why does my 4 month old thrash about like her soul will evaporate if she falls asleep,

L0cke17 posted:

Baby.exe is working as intended.

:getout:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Any suggestions for a 10 month old who has seemingly developed a taste for mom-flesh?

I can hang with him for hours without incident but the instant Mrs Pony sits down next to him he urgently commando crawls over to her and gets ready to give her legs a good cronch. We've tried redirecting him with little luck. She'll get up and move away (with minimal fuss) but we feel bad leaving him to play in the play-fenced area of the living room without someone hanging out with him (although he doesn't seem to mind at all).

Best I can figure is he knows that she means food and he's getting confused, but that doesn't help much.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

Any suggestions for a 10 month old who has seemingly developed a taste for mom-flesh?

I can hang with him for hours without incident but the instant Mrs Pony sits down next to him he urgently commando crawls over to her and gets ready to give her legs a good cronch. We've tried redirecting him with little luck. She'll get up and move away (with minimal fuss) but we feel bad leaving him to play in the play-fenced area of the living room without someone hanging out with him (although he doesn't seem to mind at all).

Best I can figure is he knows that she means food and he's getting confused, but that doesn't help much.

My 10mo does that too. We think it's because he's teething??? Maybe? He popped a new one like yesterday and most of the last 2 weeks he's been just nomming on mom all day.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Zombies

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

This

My kiddo's been doing the same since forever. Doesn't bite me, not his friends at school, nobody except mommy. I have no other explanation other than he's an rear end in a top hat.

Actually he's probably just an rear end in a top hat.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wife forbade me from calling my son a jerk when he exhibits jerk like behavior and I just keep telling her that I'm an Asian dad. I now understand why there are so many jerks in America

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’m now seriously considering investing in a roomba. We have a cat who gets hair everywhere and tracks kitty litter and baby will be crawling around before we know it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

My son has started stockpiling food like some sort of squirrel. He'll grab cheerios and put them on the fabric storage thing under his high chair then randomly come back later during playtime and grab them when he's hungry. It's adorable, but it's also not like we don't feed him when he asks anyways so I'm a bit confused as to why he is doing this all of a sudden.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hypnotists and shamans make me looool all day

"Shhhhhhhhhhhh" + rubbing their face in a rythnic manner solves all sorts of problems

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiHrA1Si0Gw

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Ughhhhh, I know it's normal for kids to sometimes prefer one parent over the other, but drat does it suck. I'm the preferred parent right now, possibly because our 14-month-old has had a cold lasting 2+ weeks (tested negative for covid twice) and he's been refusing all food but breastmilk which obviously only I can give. But it SUCKS. I'll hand him to dad and he immediately starts crying and reaching back for me. He also starts sobbing immediately if I put him down, even if I get down on the floor with him to play. He just wants to be in my arms all day errrry day. Blah. I hope he's regressing because he's on the verge of something major -- he still isn't walking or talking, though he did JUST start to imitate the sign for "more" but he seems to have no idea what it means, so I'm chalking it up to sign-babbling. Ready for him to have a major growth and development spurt and to also get the gently caress over this cold.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Eggnogium posted:

Be thankful your 15 month old at least wants a drat banana. Mine just goes straight into meltdown mode anytime we try and feed her anything but crackers. I’ll still take this over purple crying though, at least a 15 month year old rewards you with some funny moments. I never want to see that purple crying graph again

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Shifty Pony posted:

My daughter does this to me and one employee at daycare when she is giving a hug. She bites my shoulder, and employee at daycare mentioned it to me several months ago that she has been biting him on his shoulder when she hugs him. Asked pediatrician about it, he said in his experience she will do that to people she wants to spend more time with/wants more attention from. I started spending more time with her and employee started coming into her room more to hang out with her and she stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I am afraid to ask, but what is purple crying?