Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Because the mortality of my parents is something that's been weighing more and more on my mind with every passing year and I would kinda like to hold on to my conversations with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Had oneplus even mentioned that they were working to get 5G working on ATT I might have ended up getting it, instead I went with the 21 Ultra. The extra discounts and accessories push me over the edge considering I couldn't get a trade in anyways.

drat shame cause I prefer oxygen over oneui

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Bummer if true. As the thread's former premiere LG apologist I still feel like they're one of the few companies really pushing the platform to strange new places so it'll suck to see them go if just for that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I still like using smsbackup+

I'm not bothered about transferring the actual texts between phones, but its nice having them saved and searchable in gmail

Yeah I still do this too.

codo27 posted:

Curious why you guys feel the need to back up texts?

Mostly out of habit. I used to use Hangouts where it was searchable and backed up by default so when I moved to SMS/RCS it made sense to continue the scheme. There'd be a time when I'd need to refer to something in a convo or something but that's been rarer and rarer for me lately but now Messages has a search field (not a great one though) so it's even less useful.

I'd agree with bull but my parents can't really text anyway still there are some memories in there if I cared to look though if I'm being honest with myself I'm not the kind of guy to ever actually sit and reminisce.

Mainly it takes so little space, I have 19GB of free space through Google that in ten years I've used 2GB of, it's completely transparent, and might be useful one day. However I'll readily concede that my natural inclination is to simplify my life and I'd be better off making my texts truly ephemeral.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Had oneplus even mentioned that they were working to get 5G working on ATT I might have ended up getting it, instead I went with the 21 Ultra. The extra discounts and accessories push me over the edge considering I couldn't get a trade in anyways.

Yeah I don't know what's up with OP and ATT. That would be a dealbreaker for me. But I'm on TMO so handing over a dusty old 6T and getting a 9 for $365 is a no brainer.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah I don't know what's up with OP and ATT. That would be a dealbreaker for me. But I'm on TMO so handing over a dusty old 6T and getting a 9 for $365 is a no brainer.

The pro straight up doesnt have the hardware apparently. And honestly I'd be fine if just the regular 9 had it, I would have gotten it instead.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I've got a 2021 Moto G Power and it seems like in the past two weeks it's been utter poo poo at keeping any apps running in the background. I've gone in and removed my preferred apps for battery optimization and it made zero difference. I mostly just need to be able to run Podcast Addict and Spotify in the background while using Maps for navigation. It's worked fine before on this phone but in the past couple of weeks my audio apps will crash like every five minutes. Spotify seems to hang on a little better than my podcast app, but it still crashes constantly.
If I run with the audio app in the foreground and Maps in the background, Maps will quietly crash and I run the risk of missing turns and loving up my workday.

Anybody have any ideas? This is the primary function of my phone, really. If it can't play audio while navigating then I'm gonna have to find a new one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I imagine that ATT wasn't being cooperative in getting the phones certified on their 5g network so OnePlus decided to save the cost in certifying those 5G bands.

The OP8P supported at least one sub 6 5G band on ATT, but they still refused to let it on their network.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

codo27 posted:

Curious why you guys feel the need to back up texts?

To prove to my friends i was right!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Organic Lube User posted:

I've got a 2021 Moto G Power and it seems like in the past two weeks it's been utter poo poo at keeping any apps running in the background. I've gone in and removed my preferred apps for battery optimization and it made zero difference. I mostly just need to be able to run Podcast Addict and Spotify in the background while using Maps for navigation. It's worked fine before on this phone but in the past couple of weeks my audio apps will crash like every five minutes. Spotify seems to hang on a little better than my podcast app, but it still crashes constantly.
If I run with the audio app in the foreground and Maps in the background, Maps will quietly crash and I run the risk of missing turns and loving up my workday.

Anybody have any ideas? This is the primary function of my phone, really. If it can't play audio while navigating then I'm gonna have to find a new one.
Is it the 3Gb version?
Unfortunately 3Gb is very thin in a 2021 smartphone, 4Gb was the flagship standard way back in 2015, so a good deal many apps will eat up RAM.
The only thing I can think to try (besides fastidiously making sure you have just the two apps open), is to use Waze instead of Google maps. Waze will integrate with Spotify (plus Audible and some other things) so it might keep both open properly.
Worth just giving it a shot when you're sat at your desk or something, anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

I imagine that ATT wasn't being cooperative in getting the phones certified on their 5g network so OnePlus decided to save the cost in certifying those 5G bands.

The OP8P supported at least one sub 6 5G band on ATT, but they still refused to let it on their network.

I submitted a complaint to the FCC that AT&T won't activate phones not on their whitelist with regards to VoLTE, I'm hoping that I will get a real response. Something similar might be worthwhile for you, but less likely if it still works with 4g.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Samsungs OneUI is limited in terms of customization, but I've quickly adapted. I too the Oxygen treatment over OneUI also, but give it a chance. It does all the important things I really care about (mainly offering a wide variety of audio customization/equalization for streaming audio). I have seen about 3 Samsung apps that throw up annoying notifications, but I've turned them off. Samsung really likes to push its ecosystem which is certainly a change from Oneplus. I actually like the Samsung SmartThings app though for controlling IoT things like the plethora of lights I have around.

Is 5G THAT important though? It certainly wouldn't be a factor for me in choosing a phone but I went years with Cricket and an 8mbps LTE connection and it did everything I needed it too, including streaming FHD. I imagine LTE on a non-prepaid carrier should still provide enough speed, right?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If you're the type to keep your phone 3+ years, 5G may be worth buying.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Charles posted:

How many times do I have to tell Google I don't want to enable chat features for SMS?

uh

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mental Hospitality posted:

Samsungs OneUI is limited in terms of customization, but I've quickly adapted. I too the Oxygen treatment over OneUI also, but give it a chance. It does all the important things I really care about (mainly offering a wide variety of audio customization/equalization for streaming audio). I have seen about 3 Samsung apps that throw up annoying notifications, but I've turned them off. Samsung really likes to push its ecosystem which is certainly a change from Oneplus. I actually like the Samsung SmartThings app though for controlling IoT things like the plethora of lights I have around.

Is 5G THAT important though? It certainly wouldn't be a factor for me in choosing a phone but I went years with Cricket and an 8mbps LTE connection and it did everything I needed it too, including streaming FHD. I imagine LTE on a non-prepaid carrier should still provide enough speed, right?

I used my previous phone for 3 years and one of which was while I was mobilized. I think this one will probably last me at least the same if not more.

My work place already gets 5G so I’ll be taking advantage of it immediately.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I used my previous phone for 3 years and one of which was while I was mobilized. I think this one will probably last me at least the same if not more.

My work place already gets 5G so I’ll be taking advantage of it immediately.

Samsung seems to be committed to offering timely updates to their flagships for many years. OnePlus seems to have forgotten how to do monthly updates and OS upgrades. The S21U is a good choice if you're going to keep it a long time. :unsmith:

Barring any unforeseen accidents I plan on keeping mine for a few years too.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'd only buy a Samsung or Pixel at this point, if you want to keep a phone a long time. Samsung are also the only OEM who do a 4th year of support. April 2017's S8 is still in line for another quarter of updates, but October 2017's Pixel 2 went unsupported 5months ago. Oneplus' 2017 5T went unsupported at about the same time.
With them also doing n+3 updates to match the Pixel, it puts them in the weird position of being the most supported android OEM. Quite a turnaround since the days of the S6 and prior.

The only downside is their Note series tends to release around the same time as android, so the N+3 on those becomes N+2 in practice. You're still getting 4 years of security and bug fixes though.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I remember an article from a couple years ago that talked about how even if the security patch was the most recent, not all manufacturers includes all the fixes that the patch should have. Is that still a thing that happens?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I remember an article from a couple years ago that talked about how even if the security patch was the most recent, not all manufacturers includes all the fixes that the patch should have. Is that still a thing that happens?

No one knows.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

No one knows.

Oh, cool. Gonna stick with Google then.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

hooah posted:

It was largely misreported. It was based on Android technews using the Snoopsnitch app, which does a search for applied patches. The problem being, it doesn't always consider which updates the phone OS needs for the features it supports. It lead to mediatek based phones, for example, looking like they were missing a lot of updates, but the security vulnerabilities preclude running on other hardware; they were snapdragon specific fixes. There was a better analysis done by Security Research Labs which suggested a smaller problem - for instance most 'missed' security updates didn't apply to the software stack on the phone, and/or the OEM fixed the same thing themselves in another way.
The researchers themselves pointed out their research didn't suggest these patches meant the phones were exploitable at all.
FWIW though, Google Samsung and Sony seemed to apply everything necessary.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Khablam posted:

It was largely misreported. It was based on Android technews using the Snoopsnitch app, which does a search for applied patches. The problem being, it doesn't always consider which updates the phone OS needs for the features it supports. It lead to mediatek based phones, for example, looking like they were missing a lot of updates, but the security vulnerabilities preclude running on other hardware; they were snapdragon specific fixes. There was a better analysis done by Security Research Labs which suggested a smaller problem - for instance most 'missed' security updates didn't apply to the software stack on the phone, and/or the OEM fixed the same thing themselves in another way.
The researchers themselves pointed out their research didn't suggest these patches meant the phones were exploitable at all.
FWIW though, Google Samsung and Sony seemed to apply everything necessary.

Cool, thanks for the informative followup.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How do I tell if a specific unlocked phone will work on a provider? I was looking at a Nokia 5.4 on Visible but I don't know if that phone will work with Visible and their bring my own device tool requires an IMEI to tell me what will work.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
S21 Ultra check in:
I'm going to buy a lighter phone next time around.
Everything else about this phone has been great.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do I tell if a specific unlocked phone will work on a provider? I was looking at a Nokia 5.4 on Visible but I don't know if that phone will work with Visible and their bring my own device tool requires an IMEI to tell me what will work.

I tried a Nokia 5.3 IMEI and it said not compatible, but it didn't specify why.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I just noticed that T-mobile is offering $800 in trade-in credit towards a Galaxy S21 5G so now I'm going to broadly ask:

Is a Oneplus 9 likely worth a $350 premium over an S21 5G?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hardware wise, no.

Samsung will be supported better with updates based on what we've seen lately. It really depends on if you like OneUI more than Oxygen OS or if 65w charging is important to you.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

I just noticed that T-mobile is offering $800 in trade-in credit towards a Galaxy S21 5G so now I'm going to broadly ask:

Is a Oneplus 9 likely worth a $350 premium over an S21 5G?

Yeah my 6T was only going to get $200 as a trade-in for a Galaxy compared to $365 for a OP9. If your device gets you $800 off an S21 then I'd do that. I don't like One UI but that's an unbeatable trade-in.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

From a few pages back, ATT had similar deal on the s21 ultra. I did the maths and ultimately it's still much cheaper to buy it outright and go with Mint or h2o or mvno of choice, if you want to get the most bang for your buck. People say they get lower traffic priority but it's never been an issue for me.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I'm looking for help with my wife's new Motorola Razr, the one with the folding screen. Streaming services, like Netflix and Disney+, will play audio but there's no video at all. Everything else works, like subtitles and menus, and you can even move the time cursor and see a preview of the show. Google has been less than helpful. Youtube apparently works fine I should add. I'm guessing it's some display setting but I can't figure it out. Thanks for any help.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Sounds like a DRM issue

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's worth going through the steps here to check you have widevine working correctly - https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...upport-0329213/ but I've never heard of this not working beyond people being stuck on old app versions.
I'd guess at a HDR issue? If you find an HDR video in YouTube, does it also play fine?
This video or anything on this channel should test it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uyyOHIidMA

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I just got a samsung galaxy s8 edge. I discovered that it has some sort of auto tagging built in to the gallery app. This isn't location tagging, which I have turned off. This is something that analyzes the image contents and categorizes them e.g. "cats" or "beach" and also recognizes faces. I don't want all my private pictures analyzed. I have searched for a way to turn this setting off. It looks like you used to be able to disable it by finding a setting either in the gallery app settings or samsung cloud settings called "auto tagging" and turning it off. That setting no longer exists. It is not accessible on my phone and people have reported logging into the samsung cloud, navigating the menus, finding it and turning it off and then it turns itself back on again.

Old discussion:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/758765-disable-picture-auto-tagging.html
Current:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Samsung-Apps-and-Services/Unable-to-disable-gallery-auto-tags/td-p/1434690

I'm about to buy an iphone instead because of this. Is there any way to actually turn this setting off? I am willing to replace the gallery app, root the phone, etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung Cloud for photos is going away in a month so the solution may just be to delete the photos because it's going to happen by June anyways.

I doubt any of that analysis is happening in the device, so if they aren't in Samsung Cloud, it should get rid of the problem.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 27, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm about to buy an iphone instead because of this. Is there any way to actually turn this setting off? I am willing to replace the gallery app, root the phone, etc.

Apple does this too FYI

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dissss posted:

Apple does this too FYI

Apple does it on the phone, at least.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Does it? It only seems to have tagged the photos that made it into my 5GB iCloud, not any if the ones that are only on the device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you think Apple isn't data mining that poo poo, you are fooling yourself. Apple just promises not to sell the information to 3rd parties.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

If you think Apple isn't data mining that poo poo, you are fooling yourself. Apple just promises not to sell the information to 3rd parties.

I think they've just cracked a good code. You can sell them a $700 device with $1 profit and then push ads to make another $10 dollars. Or, just sell them a $1000 device with $300 profit and don't worry about ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hardware is secondary. It's about generating recurring service revenue.

The stuff that Apple is data mining is just determining what they spend their pile of cash on to convert to service revenue.