Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Residency Evil posted:

I’ve had the eagle f2s and moving to the ps4s was like magic. Get the ps4.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've had the Goodyear Eagle F1 before and didn't care for it. They wore quickly and weren't so grippy.

I'm partial to the PS4S for big car high performance tire but that's ICE M5. I'm not sure if there's a specific reason to buy a designated EV tire. I guess EVs tend to be even heavier. I know the Tesla Model S runs (or ran) PS4S as the performance tire package.

Thanks. Unfortunately they don't make PS4S in the right size. Pirelli are telling the Porsche shop they don't do the EV version in that size either, so my choice is either the F1s or P Zeros in non EV version. So.... Pirellis?

This is the local tyre direct company, just not a lot of choice in this size.
https://www.pneuexperte.ch/de/TyreSize/List/CarSummer/305-30-R21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There's a 305/25 R21 available, that's totally fine. A little less sidewall, is all.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If I had a choice then I would go P Zero.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've had the Goodyear Eagle F1 before and didn't care for it. They wore quickly and weren't so grippy.

I'm partial to the PS4S for big car high performance tire but that's ICE M5. I'm not sure if there's a specific reason to buy a designated EV tire. I guess EVs tend to be even heavier. I know the Tesla Model S runs (or ran) PS4S as the performance tire package.

Arent EV specific tires also usually made with emphasis on less rolling resistance to squeeze out more range?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yes but do you think that low rolling resistance comes from nowhere? you trade grip for lower rolling resistance.

if I had a Taycan I'd probably take a little more grip on a better summer tire for a few miles of range, but that is a personal tradeoff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Only performance tires I have any recent experience with are RE71Rs and they are great, but I don't think I'd want them on my daily, all weather driver. :shrug:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yes but do you think that low rolling resistance comes from nowhere? you trade grip for lower rolling resistance.

if I had a Taycan I'd probably take a little more grip on a better summer tire for a few miles of range, but that is a personal tradeoff.

I 100% would too. I know Jason Cammisa put PS4S on his e-golf and was hitting like over 1G lateral and raving about it, but cost a lot of milage for his car at least.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Well do you want your Pirellis *skrrting* or not?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I don't envy these places y'all live where it's never ever ever below 40F when you want to go somewhere.

I don't care how good the PS4S can be in perfect weather, the cold cracking is unacceptable. If I want skidpad numbers I'll squeeze a 285 Cup 2 on instead.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Conti ECS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ranzear posted:

I don't envy these places y'all live where it's never ever ever below 40F when you want to go somewhere.

I don't care how good the PS4S can be in perfect weather, the cold cracking is unacceptable. If I want skidpad numbers I'll squeeze a 285 Cup 2 on instead.

drive a different car is how i manage this

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

slidebite posted:

Only performance tires I have any recent experience with are RE71Rs and they are great, but I don't think I'd want them on my daily, all weather driver. :shrug:

Sadly those are being discontinued, and the new RE71RS's aren't coming to the US.

I need to replace the OEM Goodyear F1s on my Cayman, which I don't love, leaning towards the Michelin PS4S's.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ugh really? I like them on the 996. Still have life in them but I guess I'll have to look for recommendations when the time comes as well :(

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
you should put 19x11 wheels on your 996 so that you only have one tire option and therefor don't have to make any choices.

Way2slow
Sep 14, 2007

Not a Miata!
While we're all talking tires here, it appears the 245/45/16 Pirello P Zero Trofeo R isn't being made anymore, and that's what has been on the 930 Turbo we own. I was looking at Toyo Proxes R888R's, but the reviews between the two indicate that the Trofeo was significantly better. Is there a better replacement?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thanks for the advice. Ordered the P Zeros and looking forward to maybe May sometime when I can see what the 21in wheels look like on the car.

Reading elsewhere, Porsche charged someone €1250 for a set of TPMS so I'm feeling relatively smug about only paying €150 for OEM ones, also per thread advice. Cheers!

More neige overnight. And bonus pic of the wheels

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 19, 2021

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

knox_harrington posted:

More neige overnight. And bonus pic of the wheels

Beautiful wheels but I can’t have been the only one cringing while thinking of curbs. You are no doubt a more careful parker than me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i think parallel parking is banned in CH

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've been pretty good so far but there was one incident in my previous car where one of the wheels got a good scrape while my girlfriend was driving. That was the main reason I got the rear wheel steering! Nightmare

The 360° cameras are pretty much essential for parking as well, it's a big car and the visibility out of the back is poo poo.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Looking at 996 verts, is $25k around the price point for a non poo poo one? Just so I know the obvious cheap hoopties are filtered out.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Seems a little high? My father in law paid that in Canadian for a 996 C4 coupe and all pre 991 verts typically take a 10-20% cut due to the perception (either justified or not) of chassis rigidity being less.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Could be good for lower mileage, manual, maintenance record, number of owners, color, etc.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Speaking of pricing I got $13k for my 1999 Boxster, 60k miles, full service history etc... so I made 4K on it in 18 months. I guess the prices are strengthening for nice examples.

Need to drive a 996 vert and then see if I will get a 987 S or a 996.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, I think prices on used bikes and enthusiast cars have gone up appreciably in the last year. People aren't spending money on vacations or going out. Got more to blow on pandemic friendly entertainment.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

dema posted:

Yeah, I think prices on used bikes and enthusiast cars have gone up appreciably in the last year. People aren't spending money on vacations or going out. Got more to blow on pandemic friendly entertainment.

Derail, but bike parts have gone nuts due to supply issues, that's pushed everything bike related into stupid territory.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Should I drive 4 hours round trip to see this 996? The color is probably my least favorite out there but pickings are getting slimmer and slimmer. I think I could get him to take 17,5ish. Owner claims IMS and clutch done w/ records.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can always wrap it if you don't like the "left out too long in the sun yellow".

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I personally wouldn't. Faded yellow is the worst.

If you do though, and it's supposed to have an LN IMS Retrofit, make sure they've got the shiny sticker to prove it was done.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Russian Bear posted:

Can always wrap it if you don't like the "left out too long in the sun yellow".

...wrapping... the amount a full wrap costs into the price when shopping will likely lead willroc to a better color that hasn't aged terribly and probably a better idea

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh man, I forgot you're one of the few people actually looking for a cab.

I mean if you desperately want one, it might be worth the drive. Run the VIN first and come with cash I guess?

What year is it?

Need way more photos and info. If it's minty, maybe? :shrug:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

BlackMK4 posted:

...wrapping... the amount a full wrap costs into the price when shopping will likely lead willroc to a better color that hasn't aged terribly and probably a better idea

:golfclap:

Agree; I especially dislike the sand beige with the yellow. There are (imo) enough 996s in good condition out there that it's worth waiting for the right color

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

When I start looking probably in May after moving I expect I will look nationally and just find one I want with a dealer who will ship. More risk with what but better chance of finding a colour combo I want and less farting around compared to a private sale (in theory).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Some pics after a detail!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Gosh I love those extremely '90s wheels. Are they OEM?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

Gosh I love those extremely '90s wheels. Are they OEM?

Yup, they're the OEM wheels that came on the Targa. Kind of popular change that the PO made as well.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

:swoon:

man I love that color

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

If you're going to have problems with that during your move I have cash to take it off your hands locally.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TheBacon posted:

:swoon:

man I love that color

Thanks man, I do too. When I was looking for one, I wanted red, blue, or green, with a preference for Iris Blue, which was in Car and Driver’s review in the July 1996 issue of car and driver I got for my birthday that year. Super tough to find, and Arena Red was the launch color for the 993 turbo, so can’t complain.

Motronic posted:

If you're going to have problems with that during your move I have cash to take it off your hands locally.

I’ll keep you in mind. :) thankfully we have some friends out there with extra garage space while we rent/find something.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, looks like I've got my Saturday lined up. I really should have replaced the hoses when I did the water pump last year :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

gently caress

:smithicide:

Only registered members can see post attachments!