Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nothus posted:

Lol they're going to replace trim levels with this poo poo. Get used to it.

bmw tried charging a subscription for CarPlay but I guess too many people got really pissed off and leased Audis instead or whatever

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

looking forward to getting some sketchy rootkit off of a piracy website next time I buy a car to get around having to pay the car company a subscription fee for the ABS brakes.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sorry pal seatbelts cost extra

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Adding a fuckload of spaghetti rights checks that need network in the software of safety systems also seems like a super cool and good idea that will definitely never cause an increase in fatal defects

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

MRC48B posted:

Cylinders As A Service

not empty quoting myself because I'm proud of this joke.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

poo poo y'all haven't even touched on the used car aspect.

You think that lifetime license for automatic headlights transfers to the next owner?

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
its so funny because my skateboard wheels work just fine instead of locking up when I'm not wearing the patented AmazonSkateShoez whose prescription I would need to renew or else the wheels just remain locked up in its inert state
but soon

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Normally scifi is not meant to be predictive, but goddamn if the masters of the universe aren't trying to turn Ubik from joke to prophecy.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
For those who don't want to sign up for our subscription services, we are happy to offer digital loot crates that randomly unlock single-use advanced features such as fuel door control and windshield wipers.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lmfao there's already cves relating to software components in BMW cars that allow local and remote attacks. nothing like someone popping a root shell on your car while you're doing 100km/h on the freeway

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Tulip posted:

Normally scifi is not meant to be predictive, but goddamn if the masters of the universe aren't trying to turn Ubik from joke to prophecy.

The entire PK Dick bibliography

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Zil posted:

DLC for your car.

can we crowdfund the turn signal one?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They're going to create a regulatory mandate for this kind of crap, or at least for the presence of systems that enable it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

itskage posted:

poo poo y'all haven't even touched on the used car aspect.

You think that lifetime license for automatic headlights transfers to the next owner?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/6/21127243/tesla-model-s-autopilot-disabled-remotely-used-car-update

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tulip posted:

The car forfeits your right to refuse search for you if you don't pay a subscription.

Teslas will already help the company reposes them for late payments. the car will honk if the company wants, or even drive around remotely or tell its GPS location. in 2021 your own car doesnt even belong to you, it belongs to whoever has root access

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Platystemon posted:

Don’t think of “what very specific situations can I use high beams in?” Think of it as when you cannot.

Switch to low beams only when there is an oncoming vehicle within a hundred and fifty metres, you are following another vehicle closer than one hundred metres or street lights are present.

Now, these exceptions, plus daylight, do include the vast majority of driving time undertaken by most people, but still, high beams should be used unless there is good reason not to.

Also don't use them in fog and snow conditions.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Tesla fanboys answer this: do you think your main man Elon Musk would ever be caught driving in a car that someone else had remote access to?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-56524550

im sorry, am i crazy here or did a non profit made an elaborate sting on a civilian because he mailed them about syria??

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
your not allowed to question the syrian gas attacks. i mean if assad didn't gas people than bombin his country would be a war crime and the west doesnt commit war crimes :colbert:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Honest Thief posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-56524550

im sorry, am i crazy here or did a non profit made an elaborate sting on a civilian because he mailed them about syria??

lol helluva quote from that article:

quote:

He outlined their motivation: "A key objective of our little academic group is to encourage members of parliament, lawyers and journalists to hold the government to account by asking questions about these StratCom activities that have not only drawn the UK into confrontation with other countries but have also been used to marginalise and smear dissenters at home."

I say, in my article marginalizing and smearing a dissenter at home, published via literal state media!

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

The Oldest Man posted:

Automatic high beams are a safety feature. Want to know how I know that? Because their loving website says so

youll feel really silly demanding this for free when it turns out the automation is streaming your driving cam to mechanical turk when some makes $0.000001 per adjustment

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Are there cars with built in achievements yet? Cause I feel like that's the next step.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've got a former roommate who is really dedicated to keeping his 1992 F150 on the road and I mostly think it's a cute hobby but it's starting to seem more like "just what you should do."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
cars without computer controllers are going to be very valuable after the incident

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Tulip posted:

I've got a former roommate who is really dedicated to keeping his 1992 F150 on the road and I mostly think it's a cute hobby but it's starting to seem more like "just what you should do."

Until it is outlawed that you can't drive anything on the road that was made before 2010.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just imagine if we manage to make Y2K real lmao

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if you put control of your high beams in the hands of an algorithm your a loving moron who deserves to get fleeced

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

While I agree, I'm sure someone said something very similar about ignition timing and fuel injection.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Colonel Cancer posted:

inshallah

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Agean90 posted:

if you put control of your high beams in the hands of an algorithm your a loving moron who deserves to get fleeced

Hot takes about high beams itt

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i want a car upgrade where if they blind me with their high beams my car automatically targets the driver of the offending car with a machine gun.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/skytreemusic/status/1375517511936958467?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

already gone

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

El Mero Mero posted:

looking forward to getting some sketchy rootkit off of a piracy website next time I buy a car to get around having to pay the car company a subscription fee for the ABS brakes.

pros: the airbags work

cons: car is now a bitcoin rig for isis

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Good to see the algorithmically generated youtube vids have moved beyond peppa pig at the dentist

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Tesla fanboys answer this: do you think your main man Elon Musk would ever be caught driving in a car that someone else had remote access to?

Also why do teslas have a camera pointed at the driver that you, the "owner," cannot turn on and off?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Oldest Man posted:

Also why do teslas have a camera pointed at the driver that you, the "owner," cannot turn on and off?

Isn’t that camera supposed to be making sure you’re paying attention to the road in case you have to take control back and not just jerking it to hentai?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

christmas boots posted:

Isn’t that camera supposed to be making sure you’re paying attention to the road in case you have to take control back and not just jerking it to hentai?

That's what they say, but it's not hooked up to autopilot. You can put tape over it without impairing those features. They may use it for driver attention monitoring for Full Self Driving (also: lol at a feature described as "Full Self Driving" requiring that the driver pay attention lmao) but that doesn't mean it's not recording you right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Colonel Cancer posted:

don't forget that we have a second chance at an actual y2k-style event