Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

zedprime posted:

Yes. Using the entirely wrong sort of account type and accounting to collect donations so ehhh but still gently caress banks too.

Do we have anything other than Lowtax’s word on how it went down? I was around back then but I don’t remember the details. We know now that he lied constantly about SA and money; do we have any external corroboration that it was Paypal being unreasonable and not just another Lowtax scam?

e: what a terrible page snype, sorry

Azathoth Prime has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Mar 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Azathoth Prime posted:

Do we have anything other than Lowtax’s word on how it went down? I was around back then but I don’t remember the details. We know now that he lied constantly about SA and money; do we have any external corroboration that it was Paypal being unreasonable and not just another Lowtax scam?

There wouldn't be corroboration either way. Paypal isn't going to publish private customer information, and Lowtax's screenshots would have been easy to fake if he wanted to fake them.

Donator goons got their donations back, but not the currency conversion fees if they were outside the US. So Paypal still hosed people over.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Azathoth Prime posted:

If it wasn't clear it was completely Lowtaxed although the PayPal response was standard 2000s bank seize it all and gently caress you wel'l figure it out later. Public paypal TOS at the time allowed no wiggle room to run a charity drive out of your account

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Bloop posted:

If I can't trust a place enough to order a burg medium rare, I'm just not eating one there.

Tendies, plz

Some of the places I've worked, the chefs will gladly make a medium burg if they know the customer. Randos get well done no matter what they ask for, because too many ended up bitching about their "raw" medium rare patty.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I have a friend who's a chef, and the advice he gave me was to order beef less well-done at cheap places and more well-done at upscale places*. Reason being, Applebees doesn't want to risk giving you salmonella, and the Michelin chef doesn't want to risk cooking the flavor out of the meat.

*assuming you're not ordering rare to begin with

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I get upset when they won't cook my chicken rare.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Push El Burrito posted:

I get upset when they won't cook my chicken rare.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Look you serve steak tartare, you also have chicken, what's the issue???

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I've had pork sashimi but the texture of 'murrican chicken when raw is absolutely repulsive. No muscle tone at all, it's just some squidgy lump of meat jello.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Mar 26, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You guys like your steak dead when it gets to the table?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I just want a restaurant where I can pick out the cow I want from a big glass tank up front.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phanatic posted:

I've had pork sashimi but the texture of 'murrican chicken when raw is absolutely repulsive. No muscle tone at all, it's just some squidgy lump of meat jello.

I've raised healthy free-range chicken before and even those don't look like anything I'd want to eat raw, is there really some kind of delicious raw chicken that exists elsewhere in the world?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Eating raw pork is a quick weight loss tip people try to hide from you.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Raw pork is fine if you live in a country with rudimentary food safety standards.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Raw pork is fine if you live in a country with rudimentary food safety standards.

Most posters here are from the USA and we lack food safety.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We in the US can enjoy medium rare pork just fine. I like my pork roasts medium well though. I think it's been a few years now that we don't have to worry about trichinosis in farmed pigs.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Post poste posted:

Most posters here are from the USA and we lack food safety.

Hey, we have food safety standards. They're just not enforced until somebody gets sick, is all. And by somebody, I mean several people.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've raised healthy free-range chicken before and even those don't look like anything I'd want to eat raw, is there really some kind of delicious raw chicken that exists elsewhere in the world?

Well there are definitely chickens whose texture isn’t as offputting and is far more meatlike, like the texture of a game bird. There’s this big ol’ breed in Brazil that is way better than farmed American chickens. Probably still wouldn’t try it raw unless it had been irradiated or something.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Well there are definitely chickens whose texture isn’t as offputting and is far more meatlike, like the texture of a game bird. There’s this big ol’ breed in Brazil that is way better than farmed American chickens. Probably still wouldn’t try it raw unless it had been irradiated or something.

A Goiania specialty

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

There's enough wrong with the US you don't have to make things up about it to poo poo on it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Piell posted:

Look you serve steak tartare, you also have chicken, what's the issue???

Stupid America, no Steak Tartar...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Steak Tarrare

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I posted this in the China thread, but seeing as in a broad strokes kind of a way it has a lot to do with marketing and corporations, maybe the goood people here would have an answer to my question.

A question: The Chinese 'backlash' against companies boycotting Xinjiang cotton got me thinking about it, but I suppose it could apply to other ethical corporate decisions.

Has anyone crunched the numbers on the purely financial benefits of making an ethical decision?

i.e. You boycott Xinjiang cotton, and do so publicly with a press release saying "slave labour is bad so we won't buy poo poo off of the people using it". CCP shills get pissy, and you lose a percentage of Chinese customers. But you gain a bunch of loyal "woke" lefty customers, who will choose your company over others, often at a higher price point.

Is there a universal beep boop financial algorithm that covers this, or do the bean counters have to weigh it up on a case by case basis?

Because, pretty much anywhere in the world an anti-CCP statement by a brand/company done on humanitarian grounds, (or at least phrased that way), is positive publicity. And positive publicity is what corporations want. I suppose the issue is, is that positive publicity worth the actual physical problems that being anti-CCP cause in the Chinese market.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's 100% bean counter's at real companies doing that, I doubt they'd ever ever post their real number though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s also a bit awkward as those companies are more than likely using slave labor or whatever you want to brand it to make it more PC so they also have to look into whether that fact could blow back on them.

Though if they are domestic people might be willing to cut them some slack as foreigners doing a bad thing is bad but domestic bad things are allowed to have some shades of grey

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bean counters have been weighing the pros and cons of doing business in China for decades now. A company has to factor in the cost of hiring a consultant/fixer that will arrange a chop (a literal government issued red stamp, can’t do business without one), weigh the risks of the product being copied and made locally for a cheaper price and if they are using a local manufacturer, there’s a risk that the manufacturer will just keep the presses rolling off the books and sell the product themselves.

Not really an answer to your question, but I expect public opinion/risk of backlash is just another line item on an already long list.

The other side of the list is the world’s largest growing population of consumers, so the choice isn’t hard to make in many cases.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

China's pop pyramid is actually pretty hosed, If looking at purely number of consumers in the future you wanna be looking at India and SEA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Luxury brands do well in China, and walled garden stuff like Apple, but nearly everything else is prone to being ripped off and sold locally, since they don't give a poo poo about copyrights or patents especially when there's local money to be made.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just ran across this ad copy and assumed it was some kind of satire before realizing it's right on their website. Like drat, Arby's :rolleyes:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just ran across this ad copy and assumed it was some kind of satire before realizing it's right on their website. Like drat, Arby's :rolleyes:

Friars Club Roast of Arby’s Customers, hosted by Arby’s.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone eating a gyro at Arby’s is an interesting person. You don’t get to that kind of low point without a story there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anyone eating a gyro at Arby’s is an interesting person. You don’t get to that kind of low point without a story there.

:sweatdrop:
(I had to try one out of shameful curiosity after realizing they existed, its taste hurt me far more than any roasting jibe could)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Adventurous too.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Every time I do my food safety refresher training the trainer says ordering a burger anything less than well done is dumb as hell

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Continuity RCP posted:

Every time I do my food safety refresher training the trainer says ordering a burger anything less than well done is dumb as hell

this is 100% correct, but a lot of folks will risk harmful ecoli for a tender burg

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Meat should be chewy. Maybe with a crunchy crust.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Is there something in particular about ground beef that makes it more dangerous than a steak at medium? I tend to do burgers medium well, but I have friends that insist "the redder the better".

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SpacePig posted:

Is there something in particular about ground beef that makes it more dangerous than a steak at medium? I tend to do burgers medium well, but I have friends that insist "the redder the better".

The middle of a steak is clean, any ecoli or other contaminants can only be on the surface. The middle of a burger could be contaminated.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm no meatologist, but it's gotta be about how much more surface area is exposed to possible contaminants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Salmonella are well known to have unrefined palates, they just prefer a good burg over a steak any day