Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

rko posted:

The messaging from AOC and Bernie has put me in a very dark place today tbh. There are really only three things that could be true about this:

1) Bernie has always been controlled internal opposition every bit as much as Joe Manchin, and AOC is his next-gen replacement. 2019 and 2020 were a big honeypot operation that created the organizational structures required to complete the alienation of a broad swath of millennial leftists. We paid them to do it to us, even.

2) Bernie and AOC are personally craven and are just looking out for number 1. Both thought they were riding the crest of a wave that would bring them incredible power, and the wave broke as soon as Obama made a few phone calls. Bernie is just putting the finishing touches on his legacy, while AOC has correctly surmised that the left is dead and the only way to protect her career is to provide cover for the establishment, despite seeing how well that’s worked our for Warren.

3) They’re both exactly who they say they are. Bernie has spent his entire life advocating for critiquing the Democrats only when it’s allowed, and AOC is his loyal acolyte. But if the rule they follow brought us to this, of what use was the rule? Their statements to the press are desperate justifications for why they haven’t actually failed and why their methodology is still the only one that could ever work. They’re permanent losers who managed to make a lot of people think they could win for a few months we’ll remember bitterly for the rest of our lives.

This is great, because no matter what the truth is, I can be extremely depressed about it and feel completely sure that nothing will get better while we have any semblance of the level of civilization people like me need to survive. And it’s even more depressing that this level of despair is entirely by design—they set out to dismantle the resurgent American left, and it looks like they did it in five years.

And we say Democrats don’t get things done.

My take is that bernie is old and no longer radical. He's spent enough time in Washington that he thinks every incremental battle won is a success because otherwise it makes it hard to get up in the morning after 60 years of failure. He's just happy to get anything out of this administration, and we would have gotten a lot more out of him if he won but it still would have been a lot more disappointing than we'd have feared I feel.

AOC I believe is in a similar mold, but is definitely looking out for #1 because she's still got 60 years left. Bernies 80 and doesnt have to worry about money or the future anymore. AOC really did believe being left would help people and get her power, but since it failed its just about keeping power at this point. If she helps people along the way, that's just an extra benefit to help her sleep nicer at night.

How evil you think these things are, I guess depends on how cspam you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
well number one worked on me because I no longer believe in liberal democracy as a viable political model given the events of the past year

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Shipon posted:

I no longer believe in liberal democracy as a viable political model given the events of the past year

:yeah:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

loquacius posted:

yeah option 1) is tempting because life sucks and this country sucks and there's no hope for the future, but options 2) or 3) also thoroughly explain everything AND leave just as hopeless a result while being much simpler Occam's-Razor-wise

if anything, assuming they're controlled opposition is a more appealing reality because there's still a possibility some good politician might someday exist

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

$1400 checks was literally the trump plan but without adding more means testing than the $600

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Here's the tea

AmeriKKKa is the great satan

The government of the USA is a murder/misery machine operating on a global scale

Nothing will get better. Ever.

Larger swaths of the population will fall into deprived conditions and big tech and the MIC will keep them in check to make sure they don't bother People of Wealth.

No one is coming to help. No one is going to change it.

It will not stop.

:justpost:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Excelzior posted:

lol AOC was 100% an op

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Is it too late to ask for a refund?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

quote:

Some on the Left have looked at Biden’s record and his differences with the Bernie wing of the party, and they conclude that no progress is going to come out of the Biden administration. What’s your view?

Well, I think it’s a really privileged critique. We’re gonna have to focus on solidarity with one another, developing our senses for good faith critique and bad faith critique. Because bad faith critique can destroy everything that we have built so swiftly. And we know this because it has in the past, and it’s taken us so many decades to get to this point. We do not have the time or the luxury to entertain bad faith actors in our movement. But also we have to value our solidarity with one another. For anyone who brings that up, we really have to ask ourselves, what is the message that you are sending to your Black and brown and undocumented members of your community, to your friends, when you say nothing has changed? Perhaps not enough has changed. And this is not a semantic argument. Just the other night, we in collective struggle were able to stop the deportations of critical members of our community. And that would not have happened in a Trump administration.

Thank you.

They were just on the belt ready to go. And you just cannot say that nothing will change. We can make the argument that not enough is changing fast enough. And these really are not nitpicking questions of semantics, because this is how the language that we use communicates to individuals who is included and who do you consider a person. When you say “nothing has changed,” you are calling the people who are now protected from deportation “no one.” And we cannot allow for that in our movement. That’s not a movement that I want to be a part of. And I know that’s not the movement that we are a part of. We’re so susceptible to cynicism. And that cynicism, that weaponization of cynicism, is what has and what continues to threaten to tear down everything that we have spent so much time building up. We’re allowed to win too, by the way. [LAUGHS.]

I prefer winning, actually.
lol
lmao

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
[Dems]: "I prefer winning, actually."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1375489546096349192

jesus christ democrats you can't even do a tax increase right

Don't worry, 18 wheelers are exempt from the tax :)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

she's mixing up two different expressions: "(arguing in) bad faith", and a "bad actor"

lol she's thinking of BJG and Virgil Texas's podcast

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

a regressive neoliberal fuel tax increase in france resulted in nationwide yearlong protests and riots even after the quick reversal of the tax

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol she's thinking of BJG and Virgil Texas's podcast

Its actually just a DND mod saying that anything that isn't DND group think is arguing in bad faith

"anyone who has opinions different from our own must be trolling us and trying to get an "own" in therefor its bad faith"

THS
Sep 15, 2017

weird sex web site

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mirthless posted:

if anything, assuming they're controlled opposition is a more appealing reality because there's still a possibility some good politician might someday exist

I find 2) the most appealing, because it leaves open the possibility that if we manage to win it'll mean something, and these politicians only suck now because they lost and got blackpilled

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
aoc is kaput, finished. Isra Hirsi, you're our only hope.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol Pete wants to be Macron so bad he's gonna provoke his own Yellow Vests

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

oh, so you're saying you want the children of millionaires to be able to drive around for free? why can't you guys support my pragmatic idea of income-based tax credits for mileage offsets for the working class?

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Atrocious Joe posted:

Can't wait for him to claim that he's far more racist than anyone who opposes him.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

Can't wait for him to claim that he's far more racist than anyone who opposes him.

too racist for le pen is my favourite moment in liberalism from last year.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Atrocious Joe posted:

comedyblissoption posted:

a regressive neoliberal fuel tax increase in france resulted in nationwide yearlong protests and riots even after the quick reversal of the tax
Spoiler: The Amerikkkan media fails to cover these protests because of overlap with the protests against Derek Chauvin receiving a presidential commendation from Kkkopmala Harris. The fire department still gets involved, but they murder protestors with high-pressure hoses instead of setting themselves ablaze and brawling with pigs.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Tubgoat posted:

Spoiler: The Amerikkkan media fails to cover these protests because of overlap with the protests against Derek Chauvin receiving a presidential commendation from Kkkopmala Harris. The fire department still gets involved, but they murder protestors with high-pressure hoses instead of setting themselves ablaze and brawling with pigs.

lol Kkkopmala

Gotta remember this, it will send the KHive into blind rage

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

At least I never gave aoc any money

Surprised dnd isn't cheering on that aoc interview

https://twitter.com/eshaLegal/status/1369386573997936646?s=20

Bootleg Trunks has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Mar 26, 2021

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Just remembering how mad everyone got at Jimmy Dore for correctly calling AOC a sellout.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

is pepsi ok posted:

Just remembering how mad everyone got at Jimmy Dore for correctly calling AOC a sellout.

so beyond-the-pale to accuse a politician of bad faith that it's worthy of instant excommunication, but not beyond-the-pale for the same politician to accuse thousands of bad faith

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Why would you ever give money to a politician? Especially since AOC is in a D+40 district and people were eating ramen to send her 50 bucks a week. lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1375448469293391879?s=20

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/1375443319526989835?s=20

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Why would you ever give money to a politician? Especially since AOC is in a D+40 district and people were eating ramen to send her 50 bucks a week. lol

wanting to believe that you can invest in a better future for yourself and your children

i mean, aoc and bernie pretty decisively taught us where that ends up going, but i can appreciate the sentiment

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Raiad posted:

wanting to believe that you can invest in a better future for yourself and your children

i mean, aoc and bernie pretty decisively taught us where that ends up going, but i can appreciate the sentiment

Someone in a D+40 district is going to win with or without your chipotle fund. Just get the guac instead.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Is Manchin the one whose daughter is a pharma baroness?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

quote:

Some on the Left have looked at Biden’s record and his differences with the Bernie wing of the party, and they conclude that no progress is going to come out of the Biden administration. What’s your view?

Well, I think it’s a really privileged critique. We’re gonna have to focus on solidarity with one another, developing our senses for good faith critique and bad faith critique. Because bad faith critique can destroy everything that we have built so swiftly. And we know this because it has in the past, and it’s taken us so many decades to get to this point. We do not have the time or the luxury to entertain bad faith actors in our movement. But also we have to value our solidarity with one another. For anyone who brings that up, we really have to ask ourselves, what is the message that you are sending to your Black and brown and undocumented members of your community, to your friends, when you say nothing has changed? Perhaps not enough has changed. And this is not a semantic argument. Just the other night, we in collective struggle were able to stop the deportations of critical members of our community. And that would not have happened in a Trump administration.

Thank you.

They were just on the belt ready to go. And you just cannot say that nothing will change. We can make the argument that not enough is changing fast enough. And these really are not nitpicking questions of semantics, because this is how the language that we use communicates to individuals who is included and who do you consider a person. When you say “nothing has changed,” you are calling the people who are now protected from deportation “no one.” And we cannot allow for that in our movement. That’s not a movement that I want to be a part of. And I know that’s not the movement that we are a part of. We’re so susceptible to cynicism. And that cynicism, that weaponization of cynicism, is what has and what continues to threaten to tear down everything that we have spent so much time building up. We’re allowed to win too, by the way. [LAUGHS.]

I prefer winning, actually.

This part really gets to the core of why the whole "optimistic progressive" mindset is absolute poison, because it causes people to completely deny the reality that is in front of them and, through such denial, ultimately end up defending the status quo. You might find that what AOC and the DSA say here is very similar to the people on these very forums who whine about "nothing matters" posters - in other words, posters who, under any circumstances, reject the premise that something was good.

I get where it comes from - people want to feel like we're on a positive trajectory. But it crosses a line when it leads to gaslighting and attempting to silence anyone who doesn't axiomatically believe that the left is ascendant, and I have absolutely zero sympathy for it when it's coming from someone who is well-off themselves (which, to be frank, is most of these people - people who are directly exposed to the bad things are far less likely to be able to deceive themselves about this stuff than people who can selectively cherry-pick convenient information).

edit: I think the most infuriating part is when people like AOC in the above quote say stuff like "you are calling the people who are protected 'no one.'" Do these people not realize how grotesquely callous they appear to the "literally several orders of magnitude more" people who are continually and actively harmed (if not outright killed) due to things the US government is actively doing? These people frame things like no one is at fault for all the people who the US harms (when a Democrat is in power, at least).

silicone thrills posted:

Its actually just a DND mod saying that anything that isn't DND group think is arguing in bad faith

"anyone who has opinions different from our own must be trolling us and trying to get an "own" in therefor its bad faith"

The reasoning is essentially "anything outside of D&D group-think antagonizes other posters, which means that it was posted with the deliberate intent of antagonizing them." That's essentially what they mean when they give probation reasons like "stop trying to own your posting enemies." It's a mindset that unsurprisingly leads to culling most dissent, at least when the people in question are a bunch of whiny losers who are riled up by anything outside of mainstream US liberal ideology.

The only sort of posting that should count as "trolling" is posting that never engages with what other people say in response and obviously doesn't care what they say. So people like mcmagic or, back during the FTV stuff, that Quetz guy were *not* trolling, because they clearly at least cared about the arguments they were making. That How Are U guy is one of the rare situations where I feel comfortable characterizing something as trolling, but even then it's better to err on the side of not probating for trolling unless someone is repeatedly being a problem to the point it completely ruins a thread.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Mar 26, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Willa Rogers posted:

the latino media pressed him the hardest and libs are furious with them.
Yeah having watched the entire presser, she was the only one that actually asked a question of substance and pressed him on it. I immediately thought, welp that's last time I'll see that woman ask a question

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

Is Manchin the one whose daughter is a pharma baroness?

Yes

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://v.redd.it/em14md5ogcp61/DASH_720.mp4

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

Don't worry, 18 wheelers are exempt from the tax :)

Actually the tax is based on how jacked up your truck is off the road

rko
Jul 12, 2017

lol yeah those dumb loving workers trying to support one of the first new politicians who looked like she might try speaking up for them in ages, what dummies, not like me, the very smart person who derives all joy from being technically correct while debating on a dying comedy website

ugh I have to log off

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Someone in a D+40 district is going to win with or without your chipotle fund. Just get the guac instead.

I assume people donated to her to help in her primary, not the general election. Not that leadership has any need to primary her anymore

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

rko posted:

lol yeah those dumb loving workers trying to support one of the first new politicians who looked like she might try speaking up for them in ages, what dummies, not like me, the very smart person who derives all joy from being technically correct while debating on a dying comedy website

ugh I have to log off

Getting the burrito instead turns out to be the technically and effectively correct decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

The best political donation you can make is buying yourself weed