Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BurritoJustice posted:

Walker throwing the shield to save Battlestar was loving awesome and showed off that he has trained with the shield enough to do neat tricks with it like Steve.

This actually did really impress me, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
My absolute favorite part was Falcon and Winter Soldier totally big-leaguing US Agent and Battlestar the entire time they interacted

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I don't think it's necessarily the "right" serum, but it's certainly still always done stuff based on the internal being of the person. Banner before Hulk was always too weak to defend himself even when angry or terrified or whatever, so the Hulk is able to do that for him.

Also I'm absolutely calling it now JW and Battlestar are gonna end up getting a serum from Power Broker somehow and will need to be neutralised because of it.

it seems like JW already has the serum? How else would he have been kicked off a truck into a car and not even gotten a scratch? Falcon and Bucky and even Battlestar weren’t around to see it. . .

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah there's no way he doesn't have the serum.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Jagermonster posted:

it seems like JW already has the serum? How else would he have been kicked off a truck into a car and not even gotten a scratch? Falcon and Bucky and even Battlestar weren’t around to see it. . .

I guess that's possible but he's definitely not showing the sort of strength you'd expect of such yet. He certainly seems to have something going on given his obviously bullshit off the charts natural capabilities.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Jagermonster posted:

He also jumps from a helicopter onto a moving truck, while Hoskins had to swing in on a rope.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I'm thinking JW being off the charts in human abilities, he's already got the serum, and we'll get the reveal how he got that way, and it'll be evil

I do really like him somewhat, he's already an experienced military man, who says he wants to do good, he's trying to give the olive branch and it gets smacked in his face, it'd piss me off too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't like him, he's just way more of a cop than Steve ever was, but I do get him and see how he's trying to compensate in the moment.

Wyatt Russell is playing him well though. Riding a fine line there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He's completely unlikable for me but I think I am carrying baggage from all his other roles... which is probably why he's cast.

He's the school jock thrust into the spotlight of someone who is looked at as the ideal person. Having just watched Moxie I get creepo vibes.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm glad that the Flag Smashers are unambiguously good guys, I hope fake Cap doesn't kill them all but he probably will

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vintersorg posted:

He's completely unlikable for me but I think I am carrying baggage from all his other roles... which is probably why he's cast.

You should watch Lodge 49.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Both episodes are showing a lot of nuance. This one felt quicker, maybe because they had less establishing to do.

Seems funny that we spent so much time wondering how they would get together, and Bucky just shows up when falcon is about to go somewhere.

They are also in a fragile male ego space we’re both of them think the other’s living their life completely wrong, but they respect the other one anyway. It’s weird and interesting. Most buddy cop movies have them either hate each other or their best friends, and there’s a lot of coworker space that exists between that.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

That was a great episode.

Count me in as another one who wants to see Isaiah kicking Bucky's rear end back in the 50's. Even as a flashback, it would be interesting.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Diabetic posted:

I'm thinking JW being off the charts in human abilities, he's already got the serum, and we'll get the reveal how he got that way, and it'll be evil

I do really like him somewhat, he's already an experienced military man, who says he wants to do good, he's trying to give the olive branch and it gets smacked in his face, it'd piss me off too.

Idk, being Captain America isn’t something you should aspire to be, and wanting the mantle means you shouldn’t have it

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Arist posted:

I don't like him, he's just way more of a cop than Steve ever was, but I do get him and see how he's trying to compensate in the moment.

Wyatt Russell is playing him well though. Riding a fine line there.

This is the approach i see with the character.

Steve believed in what was right and had the morals and ethics to back that up. JW believes in what he does is right, but we may have been foreshadowed that he isnt morally or ethically obligated as Steve and is more of a 'just following orders' kind of guy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I saw a suggestion I kind of found interesting Isaiah might show up again to give Sam whatever shield Isaiah used, if they keep with him also getting the Captain America title.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Everyone posted:

This is probably a "goon-jump" take but... in America right after 9-11, there was a lot of pulling together, a lot of unification. It didn't necessarily lead to good things (eternal War on Brown People "Terror") but a lot of people came to miss that feeling of unity and togetherness. Very probably something much like that happened after the Blip, with the survivors pulling together. I don't think it's that the Flag-smashers want to kill 4 Billion people to get the Blip back (they might, but I kind of doubt it). They instead want that "We're all in this together" feeling to return instead of the world just returning to what it was "Pre-Blip" with the same self-interested assholes running the world.

I think that was also alluded to with Karli's line that they just want the people who stated to get the same care that the ones who returned did. Seeing these social programs for the returned and wanting to extend that to everyone in need is an understandable motivation and certainly one that feels especially relevant in the current moment.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Idk, being Captain America isn’t something you should aspire to be, and wanting the mantle means you shouldn’t have it

Well, we should all want to emulate certain aspects of Captain America. He's not real and I'm not American but I always liked the whole standing up for the little guy, selfless devotion to his fellow man, punching nazis right in the gob and just that pure "goody goody saving kittens from a tree " genuine heroism that he projects. A guy taking up that part of the mantle could be good. I didn't get super bad guy vibes from Walker yet but don't know the actor from much else. Still want Sam Wilson Cap as that has such potential but I don't hate Walker on first viewing. Walker even went out of his way to extend the olive branch and they blew him off like a scrub. That would annoy anyone. He felt like a genuine guy being asked to step up and assume a role on behalf of his government. He felt like that traditional soldier type who trusts in the chain of command and will do his best to do his duty. Funny thing is Sam was talking about needing heroes for the times and a guy who never questions orders may not be the hero America needs. That is probably where the show will head and, if so, I am here for it.

Desperado Bones posted:

That was a great episode.

Count me in as another one who wants to see Isaiah kicking Bucky's rear end back in the 50's. Even as a flashback, it would be interesting.

gently caress. YEAH. I remember reading this story in comics way back in the day (20 years was it?) and glad to see it here. Isiah Bradley Cap is a perfect story for this day and age and also perfect for a Sam Wilson focused show. One of the things I like about this show is you got the mix of buddy movie humour and action but then *boom* serious bollocks about society and government. Hope the show goes more for the meat as it goes along instead of playing it safe. Deffo on the boat for the ride.

I still hope for a return of Arnim Zola the AI. You could comic book resurrect that easy and do a Doctor Who with the casting. Maybe not for this show but in the future? Always up for Nazis getting punched.

Lastly Battlestar? LOL. They did a brother WRONG! Battlestar.... heh heh.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Doom2020! posted:

I didn't get super bad guy vibes from Walker yet but don't know the actor from much else. Still want Sam Wilson Cap as that has such potential but I don't hate Walker on first viewing. Walker even went out of his way to extend the olive branch and they blew him off like a scrub. That would annoy anyone.

John really thinks he's owed something, and it digs at him. Steve was humble. John thinks he's earned it, but he also feels inadequate in it. Even the line about jumping on four grenades... it came out too quick, like he had to prove himself just a little too hard. That "we are the government" line is also interesting. Makes me wonder what Walker would have said if he was sitting at the table discussing the Sokovia Accords with the rest of the Avengers.

I'm impressed that John's not immediately a right-wing Reagan-loving fash gently caress like the comics John Walker was. They didn't go for the MURICA gag, which would have been so easy to do. I'm really hoping his trajectory is going to let him come out the other side of this.

The Isaiah subplot needed more time to cook. I wonder if they're gonna do Josiah.

Vindicator fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 26, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Flag Smashers is coded so ridiculously goody two shoes they really have to pull some "Their real plan is to murder half the world" for the story to make sense of them as villains.

I hope it's something closer to Mr. Robot's opening premise of shutting down the status quo.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Somehow I didn’t recognize the actor playing Isaiah as Carl “M.A.N.T.I.S.” Lumbly right away :negative:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Just do what they did in Jessica Jones with their Captain America-analogue and turn Walker into Nuke.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Somehow I didn’t recognize the actor playing Isaiah as Carl “M.A.N.T.I.S.” Lumbly right away :negative:

Wait. What? :aaa: I loved that show as a kid. Of all of the shows that would be worth a reboot.

Isaiah didn't get many lines but the delivery was so good. With Sam's glance at the hold house I hope we get to see more Isaiah.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Here's some videos about US Agent and the Flag Smasher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bho_poUTo6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8NSks9vXHw

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Well, I, for one, am 100% down with Wyatt Russell as the true Captain America.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Vindicator posted:

John really thinks he's owed something, and it digs at him. Steve was humble. John thinks he's earned it, but he also feels inadequate in it. Even the line about jumping on four grenades... it came out too quick, like he had to prove himself just a little too hard. That "we are the government" line is also interesting. Makes me wonder what Walker would have said if he was sitting at the table discussing the Sokovia Accords with the rest of the Avengers.

The best part about the grenades thing was how he had a specially made helmet for doing that, it was a thing he did kind of as a trick. Contrast that with Steve's jumping on a grenade, and you get two very different people.

I don't know if new-Cap really got powers yet, so far it's been standard action hero stuff but he's definitely got something weird going on. He just doesn't sit right with me.

And even the villains aren't really so bad yet, so far Bucky and Sam are just tracking them down because they kind of got told to. Stealing vaccines and medical supplies is bad, but understandable.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Vindicator posted:

I'm impressed that John's not immediately a right-wing Reagan-loving fash gently caress like the comics John Walker was. They didn't go for the MURICA gag, which would have been so easy to do. I'm really hoping his trajectory is going to let him come out the other side of this.

The Isaiah subplot needed more time to cook. I wonder if they're gonna do Josiah.

He definitely would register. I like your reading about his having to prove himself and now I want to rewatch again. Agreed on glad they went more subtle with him as Super GOP US Agent would just cause drama and nobody would actually stop posting outrage in order to watch. Always thought one of the biggest impediments to true equality or change are the people who would rather follow orders and do nothing for the sake of stability. A guy who spends so much time just doing what his superiors tell him wouldn't be so obviously bad if we didn't have a past Captain America movie where the guys that were giving orders were literal nazi remnants pulling a comeback. I still think Sam will be the perfect one to don the mantle as wants to help but just won't blindly do what they tell him. He will don the mantle because it helps the most people and it is a responsibility. I'm excited at least.

I'm wondering about Eli myself since Young Avengers might be around the corner.

animeluva1 posted:

Wait. What? :aaa: I loved that show as a kid. Of all of the shows that would be worth a reboot.

Isaiah didn't get many lines but the delivery was so good. With Sam's glance at the hold house I hope we get to see more Isaiah.
gently caress now I definitely want more and I was already a fan. Yeah he was so good and there is no way that was it. He sold all that pain and betrayal with just a few sentences and his eyes. Bloody good stuff.

Thundercracker posted:

Flag Smashers is coded so ridiculously goody two shoes they really have to pull some "Their real plan is to murder half the world" for the story to make sense of them as villains.

I hope it's something closer to Mr. Robot's opening premise of shutting down the status quo.
Honestly, I think they are the fall guys for the true bad guys. There was that video that someone posted about Flag Smasher's origin and I was thinking it fit. Well meaning anarchists/anti fasc being manipulated by Zemo/Hydra/ Corp or Government fascists using their noble intentions so they can post in on Fox News and scare the common rabble into voting Tory. Bear in mind, I also thought Nightmare was going to be the main guy in Wandavision so what the gently caress do I know? Answer: poop.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It seems to me like the route they are going with Flag Smashers is that they stole the Super Soldier juice from the Power Broker, who will be the actual bad guy for this series. Guessing Power Broker will be connected to the Global Repatriation Council (who are backing new Captain America) which will turn out to be another Hydra plot.

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 26, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Piell posted:

It seems to me like the route they are going with Flag Smashers is that they stole the Super Soldier juice from the Power Broker, who will be the actual bad guy for this series. Guessing Power Broker will be connected to the Global Repatriation Council (who are backing new Captain America) which will turn out to be another Hydra plot.

My theory is similar. The Power Broker gave them the super serum so he could have super soldiers, then they peaced out to go do good, and when he texted Karli about them taking something of his, he was literally talking about their enhanced selves. The Power Broker considers the flag-smashers to be his property because he made them what they are I haven't read any of the comics or watched the youtube vids on them so I may be way off base.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Man, how did they not make a :bsg: joke in there somewhere? Bucky wouldn't have made it but I can see Falcon being a stealth sci-fi fan.

I also like how the timing of "It's Black Falcon!"/"Does that make you black kid?" was immediately before meeting a guy who's lazy Marvel codename was literally Black Captain America.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pik_d posted:

My theory is similar. The Power Broker gave them the super serum so he could have super soldiers, then they peaced out to go do good, and when he texted Karli about them taking something of his, he was literally talking about their enhanced selves. The Power Broker considers the flag-smashers to be his property because he made them what they are I haven't read any of the comics or watched the youtube vids on them so I may be way off base.

Within the comics (if I recall correctly given all the reboots and such) the Power Broker was a guy who sold super-powers for money. He didn't give a poo poo what you did with your powers after your got them. That said, I think your take is probably spot-on or near to it.

It's been mentioned up-thread, but one thing about Steve Rogers is that while he was certainly willing to stand up for America, he was equally willing to stand up to America (or at least authority figures in America). I don't think that's true of Walker. I also note that he's very quick to avail himself of government resources and otherwise pull the strings of authority. It was a neat demonstration that as helpful as he tried to be to Sam and Bucky in this episode, he could also be a dangerous enemy pulling those strings against them.

Speaking of Steve Rogers, recall that MCU time travel operates on the "Back to the Future is a bunch of bull poo poo" principle. In that other timeline after a couple of dances with Peggy, Steve went to save Bucky. When Isiah got the Serum and his backers framed him to put him in prison, Steve found out about and fought to prove him innocence up to and including breaking Isiah out of prison so they could hunt the folks who framed him down and put them in prisons or graveyards. And yes, Peggy and a by-this-time rescued Bucky certainly helped out with that. In that other timeline, America got a publicly revealed black Captain America sixty years early.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Everyone posted:

Speaking of Steve Rogers, recall that MCU time travel operates on the "Back to the Future is a bunch of bull poo poo" principle. In that other timeline after a couple of dances with Peggy, Steve went to save Bucky. When Isiah got the Serum and his backers framed him to put him in prison, Steve found out about and fought to prove him innocence up to and including breaking Isiah out of prison so they could hunt the folks who framed him down and put them in prisons or graveyards. And yes, Peggy and a by-this-time rescued Bucky certainly helped out with that. In that other timeline, America got a publicly revealed black Captain America sixty years early.

*citation needed

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Technowolf posted:

*citation needed

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Technowolf posted:

*citation needed

The whole "going back in time doesn't change the past" bit was explained fairly clearly in Avengers: Endgame. "You mean Back to the Future is a bunch of bull-poo poo?" was a line in the movie about that stuff.

The rest of my post was speculation bordering on fanfic, but it seems pretty reasonable given what we've seen of Steve's character over his time in the MCU. Steve knows how time travel works. He knows he's basically in an alternate dimension. He knows that what he does there will not change or "destroy" the future. Do you seriously think he's going to just park his rear end on Peggy's couch while HYDRA inserts itself into SHIELD? Or let his best friend, Bucky be turned into a mind-controlled assassin? Or let the next Captain America get stuck in jail for 30 years because of a racist cover-up?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

AngryBooch posted:

That montage made me think they were doing a spin on MVP and combining him with Walker a bit.

Will this series have the guts to make Flag Smasher a superhero like they're telegraphing? Or more fodder for the Thunderbolts?

Given the Nomad identity isn't being used by anyone that'd be a good fit for her, actually.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Everyone posted:

The whole "going back in time doesn't change the past" bit was explained fairly clearly in Avengers: Endgame. "You mean Back to the Future is a bunch of bull-poo poo?" was a line in the movie about that stuff.

And the Ancient One immediately tells Banner that they’re dumb and don’t know poo poo about time travel.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo Karli *is* the most adorable badass. Those big eyed scared faces that melted into a huge grin...

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I do enjoy that Falcon's unpleasant run-in with the cops was immediately followed by a scene with Walker cheerfully tooting the police siren. Guy is pure po po.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, when the siren goes off that second time I half expected Sam to sigh and mutter "again". That it was USAgent grinning like an idiot really worked on that level where he might not outwordly an rear end but he's very much part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

massive spider posted:

I do enjoy that Falcon's unpleasant run-in with the cops was immediately followed by a scene with Walker cheerfully tooting the police siren. Guy is pure po po.

he's going to 1000% percent reference Battlestar or his wife if accused of prejudice