Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I seem to recall the musicians guild as being a second floor travel agency type deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

angerbeet posted:

I seem to recall the musicians guild as being a second floor travel agency type deal.

It was

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

The unique clown makeup thing is real though. Terry didn't make that up, it is, or was, a practice in real life for clowns (at least famous ones) to officially register their unique face makeup, on an eggshell of all things.

That's pure Pratchett - taking a real, bizarre, fantastic thing from actual history and using it as a fantasy element of Discworld. And in so doing, he both grounds the fantasy and makes the real history slightly more fantastical.

It seems telling of the show that it would strip this element of its original context, preserving only the surface-level details.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Devorum posted:

The individual faces of the clowns being a key plot point in one of the books that the show is partially based on, it's pretty obvious that's where the inspiration for the individualized masks came from.

The Assassins in the book were also organized murderers who treated taking lives as a business... without masks.

The masks served no purpose other than as a plot device in one episode. The entire thing was dumb...which is why it sounds dumb.

The masks would, in fact, be quite counterproductive for the Disc's assassins, as they were quite happy to have people know who and what they are. Vetinari was the weird kid when he was being schooled there because he was into camoflage and disguise, recall.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It still feels too subtle for the show to equate "Assassins' masks" with "Fools' face gallery". It's much more the show's style to clumsily point out its direct references, like they would have had a secret room in the assassin's guild where they kept rows and rows of masks, and one of the Watch would have remarked "this is where they catalogue their masks, each one is individual." All they do have in their secret room is shelves full of crystal skulls; which I'd argue, if they'd wanted it to be a reference, they had all the props and absolutely could have done that bit.

There's a trace remnant of the same idea in both, sure, but it's far enough removed that it seems a bit silly to criticize it because it isn't close enough, much like the show as a whole.

e: possibly worth noting that Inigo changed his mask style in his career.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 24, 2021

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I saw very little of the series but everything I saw of Vines was wrong and I'm trying very hard to get that guy out of my brain.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Maybe I missed this somewhere up thread but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPeVsniB7b0

The clacks is real.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

The clacks is real.

Get this: the postal service used to be real, too. And money!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Get this: the postal service used to be real, too. And money!

:captainpop:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Who's this wise guy saying that money's ever been real?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Beachcomber posted:

The clacks is real.

Ayyy Tom Scott! I made friends with him at a wedding!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Drakyn posted:

Who's this wise guy saying that money's ever been real?

I had money in like... ~2012?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I've just got this leaky old pair of boots

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I'm still after my hard boiled egg

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

The clacks is real.

If you're into this, I'd definitely recommend checking out The Victorian Internet by Tom Standage.
I read it after Going Postal made me wonder if the clacks were based in reality and it's a really fun microhistory all about the telegraph, including the old visual telegraph the clacks are based on.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Prompted by The Watch I've been getting back into my Discworld books, which I had placed in storage some time ago, thinking I'd probably just about read my fill of it over 20ish years. It's had its ups and downs so far.

Guards! Guards! - still good, bit oldschool these days, especially with the later Watch books in mind, but a solid fantasy parody story.
Moving Pictures - solidly meh. It's got some good moments like all of them, but overall, not a big fan. Might have been better if it had come later in the series, when Terry's approach was more about showing the world changing through a new invention, rather than the new invention being an evil otherworldly influence and the world resetting to status quo at the end. He used that plot a fair few times.
Small Gods - actually really excellent, much better than I remembered it, and I remembered it as very good. Went back on my regular bookshelf.
Soul Music - the one I'm at now. I'd completely forgotten about Susan and she's great. Very reasonable person in a world that plain doesn't care about her fancy rationality is a great character, especially from today's perspective when so much of the fantasy scene is all like "but what if you approached this common trope with an engineer's mindset." Bunch of excellent jokes so far too. Caveat: high chance of ultimately running into the same issues that kept me from enjoying Moving Pictures. I already remember that I never did like the ending and how it was written.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Soul Music - I already remember that I never did like the ending and how it was written.

Let me know which joke you didn't get.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jesus Christ man I'm picking a book back up after like a decade, can you maybe hold off on sardonically implying I'm too dumb to get Pratchett's genius until I've actually posted my take on it that isn't half remembered from when I was a dumb teen or at most twentysomething

sorry I'm not rereading these once a year or whatever you have to do to be let in the Pratchett Thread Club I guess.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 25, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jesus Christ man I'm picking a book back up after like a decade, can you maybe hold off on sardonically implying I'm too dumb to get Pratchett's genius until I've actually posted my take on it that isn't half remembered from when I was a dumb teen or at most twentysomething

Sorry, I'm not meaning to imply that you're dumb. It's just that Soul Music is one of the most "*blink blink* gently caress" books in the series. The ending in particular is riddled with musical references, some quite obscure, and I've seen people left nonplussed by it before.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

We're Certainly Dwarves took me well over a decade to get.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
There’s a really good one about the guy down the chip shop being elvish

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

We're Certainly Dwarves took me well over a decade to get.

What was this one? I remember going over the Annotated Pratchett File when I was a kid and finding out basically everything had gone over my head. I remember not being too thrilled with the ending of this one either -- I think Death(?) waves his hands and puts everything back to how it was before the music came, and none of the protagonists really do anything except give us a viewpoint.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
We're Certainly Dwarves is a play on the band They Might Be Giants

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ben Soosneb posted:

There’s a really good one about the guy down the chip shop being elvish

It's not just that he's elvish, it's that one of Susan's school friends would swear that he's elvish. But a musician believed to be dead who is actually alive is just another layer on the joke. The actual climax of the book is a riff on The Day the Music Died, and Death's part in it is to make it literal - instead of taking the Band With Rocks In and the music living forever, Death spares them and the music dies.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 25, 2021

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

My Lovely Horse posted:

sorry I'm not rereading these once a year or whatever you have to do to be let in the Pratchett Thread Club I guess.

there's no helping that guy, he's one of those rick and morty type fans

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've never been able to decide if Lias being a Big guy who Bops his instrument is an intentional reference or the effect of a kinda generic musician name.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

I've never been able to decide if Lias being a Big guy who Bops his instrument is an intentional reference or the effect of a kinda generic musician name.

It absolutely is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bruceski posted:

The Big Bopper reference is intentional. I've never been able to figure out how or if Glod Glodsson relates to Ritchie Valens, though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jedit posted:

The Big Bopper reference is intentional. I've never been able to figure out how or if Glod Glodsson relates to Ritchie Valens, though.

That's what was causing me doubts, if two then it's gotta be three, right?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I always assumed Glod was just there to set up the "we're on a mission from Glod" joke.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I can't believe that bugrit millennium hand and shrimp is a reference to Particle Man.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jedit posted:

Best I got is glod -> gold -> rich -> ritchie which isn't very good at all.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Isn't Glod the result of a dyslexic genie?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was thinking about Jingo recently and only just realized that Snowy Snopes was a play on Lee Harvey Oswald and the grassy knoll

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Testekill posted:

I can't believe that bugrit millennium hand and shrimp is a reference to Particle Man.

I still don't understand it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Testekill posted:

Foul Ol Ron was the result of putting a Chinese restaurant’s menu through several layers of auto translation I thought

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Foul Ol Ron was the result of putting a Chinese restaurant’s menu through several layers of auto translation I thought

markov chain

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

thetoughestbean posted:

I think the Chinese restaurant menu was just one of the things Pratchett said he'd fed into the Markov chain, but "millenium hand" is a lyric from a They Might Be Giants song, and he was a big fan of theirs so he probably put some of their lyrics in there too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lugubrious posted:

I think the Chinese restaurant menu was just one of the things Pratchett said he'd fed into the Markov chain, but "millenium hand" is a lyric from a They Might Be Giants song, and he was a big fan of theirs so he probably put some of their lyrics in there too.

He did.

It was a combination of Particle Man and a Chinese restaurant menu fed to an atrocity generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm about 90 pages in to Moving Pictures and I just realized that I'm reading the Archchancellor as having a cartoonish Australian accent. Is there something in the text to suggest this and I just picked it up in passing or am I brokebrained