Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I've just decided that whether or not discogs sellers have correctly graded their merchandise depends on nothing more than luck. That copy of Black Mass I bought is on the lower end of VG and the loving guy play graded it and still called it a VG+ with the except of one issue he informed me of. I was okay with that because he made it sound like the entire album wasn't a bowl of Rice Krispies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

pwn posted:

I never heard of sparks before the last page. Incredibly unhip and out of touch.

me neither and yet i was almost compelled to go on discogs and check prices

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

what are the best speakers I can buy for less than one thousand dollars?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

IG-88 posted:

If you're not buying those custom made wooden horns from the last page why even bother?

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

IG-88 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CApq8h336S0

This video seems like a good starting point. Guttenberg is generally regarded as someone that knows what he's talking about and isn't terrible to watch. Check "more info" for an index breakdown of the recommendations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Personally, for $1000 I'd be trolling the avsforum classifieds to find a deal on some used $5k speakers.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

pwn posted:

I never heard of sparks before the last page. Incredibly unhip and out of touch.

Me neither. I don't think they ever charted anything in the US and they definitely seem like "your favorite band's favorite band's influences" so it's understandable how they passed us by

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Its amazing how much good music came out in the mid 70s compared to just how bad the us charts were in the mid 70s

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

tinaun posted:

Its amazing how much good music came out in the mid 70s compared to just how bad the us charts were in the mid 70s
That's every decade forever.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BigFactory posted:

“No means yes” is a song title that’s aged well
hold on, I got you

I have the shirt with that drawing on the front and NO MEANS NO on the back, wore it at an alternative club once and some dude earnestly commended me on my making a valuable statement on sexual autonomy, and I smiled and nodded and kept thinking he simply must know there's a band and spent the rest of the night trying to always face away from him

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I kind of want to grab a Spin Clean system on Amazon but the regular $79 version is out of stock until June. And I am not sure I want to spend $125 on the one with extra towels or whatever. (It’s in stock)

Any other recommendations for this? I don’t have hundreds of records to clean or anything.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I just realigned my cartridge and it is so much better! It’s crazy how out of whack it was. It sounds like I have a whole new system.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

I just realigned my cartridge and it is so much better! It’s crazy how out of whack it was. It sounds like I have a whole new system.

Did you actually buy a protractor or just print out a template?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Chinook posted:

I kind of want to grab a Spin Clean system on Amazon but the regular $79 version is out of stock until June. And I am not sure I want to spend $125 on the one with extra towels or whatever. (It’s in stock)

Any other recommendations for this? I don’t have hundreds of records to clean or anything.

One weird trick amazon doesn't want you to know... you can buy things from other websites. For example. https://spinclean.com/store/ sells them. Looks like it is free shipping for it as well. I still can't believe a few plastic pieces are $80. There is this similar looking thing but I can't speak to it's quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Knox-Vinyl-Record-Cleaner-Spin/dp/B07MP88FX6

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

One weird trick amazon doesn't want you to know... you can buy things from other websites. For example. https://spinclean.com/store/ sells them. Looks like it is free shipping for it as well. I still can't believe a few plastic pieces are $80. There is this similar looking thing but I can't speak to it's quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Knox-Vinyl-Record-Cleaner-Spin/dp/B07MP88FX6

Unsurprisingly Spin Cleans use to be cheaper. I think mine was 50 bucks when I bought it. And I remembered thinking it was overpriced back then.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Unsurprisingly Spin Cleans use to be cheaper. I think mine was 50 bucks when I bought it. And I remembered thinking it was overpriced back then.

Yeah I think I bought mine on sale for around $50. I got the 40th anniversary retro edition to add that extra brown tone to all my records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Yeah I think I bought mine on sale for around $50. I got the 40th anniversary retro edition to add that extra brown tone to all my records.

I got rid of all my brown tone records because I was tired of making GBS threads my pants when I wanted to listen to some music.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

Did you actually buy a protractor or just print out a template?

Just a printed one I’ve been using forever but i was noticeably out of alignment. Looking back, I put that cartridge on a year ago and didn’t check it I guess.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

My amplifier of 19 years died over the weekend and I got a new one yesterday and I have to say that it is very important to properly ground your turntable. My deck is silent now and records no longer stick like glue to the slipmat due to static.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dead Goon posted:

My amplifier of 19 years died over the weekend and I got a new one yesterday and I have to say that it is very important to properly ground your turntable. My deck is silent now and records no longer stick like glue to the slipmat due to static.

Heheh yeah, connect those wires

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

sporklift posted:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

My Lovely Horse posted:

hold on, I got you

I have the shirt with that drawing on the front and NO MEANS NO on the back, wore it at an alternative club once and some dude earnestly commended me on my making a valuable statement on sexual autonomy, and I smiled and nodded and kept thinking he simply must know there's a band and spent the rest of the night trying to always face away from him

A few old guys at a dive bar once thought my Iron Reagan shirt was sincere

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Spanish Manlove posted:

A few old guys at a dive bar once thought my Iron Reagan shirt was sincere

I've gotten that too.

Yeah man Reagan and a pile of skulls means Reagan good!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

sporklift posted:

brown tone

Mickey Melchiondo posted:

I can’t really explain ‘brown’ except to give examples… Ween opened for The Ramones in 1991. The Ramones showed up in a Country Squire station wagon that was smashed on one side, and missing a window. Dee Dee, Joey, and Marky. That’s brown. The beautiful side of brown. That is brown – that’s real. That’s brown. It can be really bad, it can be a horrible thing, when you get browned out by some band. A band shows up and they’re brown – none of their equipment works or whatever. But it’s a strength. You know you’re getting the real thing.

Ween is nothing else but brown. It has been our asset – our principle asset – our whole lives. It means that we show up at the festival, and we’re playing with Nine Inch Nails or whoever the gently caress it is, and we don’t have any guitars with us, because nobody thought to bring them. So we had to borrow them from the other band. That’s what makes Ween great, is our brownness. It’s a total setback for us, but it’s what makes Ween Ween, is the brownness. It’s fuckin’ brown. It’s so fuckin’ brown all the way through: bad punch-ins, punch-outs on tapes. Dean Ween Group: bad guitar cable left on the master recording [makes loud feedback noise] halfway through the solo. Brown can’t be faked. If you fake the brown, people will figure you out.

Ween is just brown. The harder we try, the browner we are. The more legit we try and pretend we are, the more it blows up in our face. That’s what I’m saying – ‘Gum’ represents the brown. For every one of those ‘Gum’ songs that’s out there, there’s a trillion more that occupies most of our catalogue. It had to be represented. So just let it fly. It doesn’t belong with the respectable songs, like ‘Mercedes Benz’ or something – which is tight and nice…. At the core of it, we are brown, we are the worst. In a way, not the worst – we’re the best! You know?

Iggy [Pop] is brown. He’s out there still at ninety-nine years old or whatever he is, and fuckin’ crapped his pants or something. Literally. [laughter]

Brown has nothing to do with poop – that’s the thing I wanna clear up. Brown and poop have no relation. People think because of ‘Poop Ship Destroyer’ that Ween is scatological or whatever. I don’t like poop. I don’t like talkin’ about it, I don’t think it’s funny!

Brown, they misunderstand. They think it’s poop – ‘Poop Ship Destroyer.’ The song is brown, but not like when Ween does a rehearsal and somebody forgot to tell two members of the band that we had a rehearsal. [laughter] You can’t fake that poo poo, you know? No matter if we get better management or whatever, it’ll never change, you know? It’s brown.

In other news I put a new all vinyl mix up over at https://www.mixcloud.com/mawesome/03252021/. I dunno if it's brown but it is kinda weird, kinda funky, and kinda funny. Here is the tracklist.

quote:

1. Destruments - Freedom
2. Altun Gün - Vay Vay
3. El Michels Affair - Tearz
4. Ghost Funk Orchestra - Queen Bee
5. Blood Orange - Sutphin Boulevard
6. Sparkle Division - You Ain't Takin' My Man
7. Chancha Via Cicuirto - la Victoria
8. Cosmic Analog Ensemble - Résilience
9. Novos Bainos - Brazil Pandeiro
10. Funkproof - Doo Bee Doo
11. Syl Johnson - I've Been Talked About
12. Glenn Riccs - I've Been Waiting For You
13. Seal - Kiss From a Rose
14. Color Me Bad - I Adore
15. Cyprus Hill - Loco en el Coco
16. Beck - Get Real Paid
17. The Dirtbombs - Sharevari
18. Gloria Trevi - Dr. Psiquietra

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
no surprises here

https://twitter.com/kevinduquette/status/1373034033030918148?s=19

2021 gonna be the year i finally get a cassette player. the sanyo the op of the cassette thread got looks nice...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

no surprises here

https://twitter.com/kevinduquette/status/1373034033030918148?s=19

2021 gonna be the year i finally get a cassette player. the sanyo the op of the cassette thread got looks nice...

And I'm sure 90% of that is going to be Record Store Day absolute garbage. I hope doesn't further gently caress up the used market.

I've been thinking about it a lot lately and maybe I should just start buying CDs again.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

I realize the insanity of asking this in the vinyl thread, but why? Cassettes were never not garbage that filled the gap between vinyl and CDs, with the only real benefit that you could record on one at home.

I say this as someone with a cassette deck and a gaggle of tapes, although those are mostly recordings of my college radio show and lovely local bands that never made more than a cassette.

Edit: To clarify this phone post, my old man yelling at a cloud here is that other than being a physical medium and retro, cassettes don't have much to offer. They are too small to have good album art like an LP, they are generally less physically robust than a CD, their sound quality is not good (not sure if it's better/worse than a good MP3, but it's not great), and they don't have a lot of support in the marketplace. They're "different" for sure, but they also got dropped like a rock for good reason by everyone once the ability to burn CDs became commonplace.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 26, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

I realize the insanity of asking this in the vinyl thread, but why? Cassettes were never not garbage that filled the gap between vinyl and CDs, with the only real benefit that you could record on one at home.

I say this as someone with a cassette deck and a gaggle of tapes, although those are mostly recordings of my college radio show and lovely local bands that never made more than a cassette.

Edit: To clarify this phone post, my old man yelling at a cloud here is that other than being a physical medium and retro, cassettes don't have much to offer. They are too small to have good album art like an LP, they are generally less physically robust than a CD, their sound quality is not good (not sure if it's better/worse than a good MP3, but it's not great), and they don't have a lot of support in the marketplace. They're "different" for sure, but they also got dropped like a rock by everyone once the ability to burn CDs became commonplace.

It kinda lays bare the absurdity of all retro media enthusiasms, doesn't it. And having said that, I just went thrifting and bought a JVC tape deck. But only for ripping some of the more insane fundie preachers, who have provided me some of the best cheap laughs this side of eternity.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

lol VMP, thanks for the warning

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I had albums on cassette that I thought sounded like poo poo the first time I listened to them on CD. Tapes had a nice warmth sometimes. And they’re super convenient.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I will give tapes this - the kachunk of popping them in a player is pretty satisfying.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

From my aunt's basement. Many of these were my mother's. This is pretty cool.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I had albums on cassette that I thought sounded like poo poo the first time I listened to them on CD. Tapes had a nice warmth sometimes. And they’re super convenient.

One time I had a scientist for a roommate that would smuggle weed home from Amsterdam after his scientist conventions. He made a batch of pot oil in our house kitchen and I'm such a heel that I just had to sneak and grab a spoonful as it simmered. I fell out of alpha consciousness, lost the ability to speak, and had to lay in bed listening to the same cassette over and over all night while I missed a great party because I couldn't walk so good. That's my cassette story.

Here's another one. I worked as a court reporter for 15 years and when I started in 2004 my CHUD fraud of a boss was suspicious of digital recording, and insisted I make a tape recording and a tape backup even though I was recording digitally. So I had to carry all these lovely Marantz court reporter tape decks around everywhere so I could drive up to the office once a week and drop off my cassettes for their archives. Then I'd go home and transcribe from the MP3s. I asked his office manager if I could just mail her CDs of the mp3s and she said "don't you need an mp3 player for those?"

So no love lost on cassettes over here.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 26, 2021

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

I've been thinking about it a lot lately and maybe I should just start buying CDs again.

Why not they're cheap! Unless you import it from Japan then it's $40 please lol. And there are a few things only on CD and not yet on vinyl, though it's primarily obscure stuff.

Chinook posted:

Tag ur self, I'm the Minnie Mouse sticker on Tommy.

All joking aside that is a sweet haul!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Chinook posted:

h*ck yea dad aunt rock :c00l:

Turbinosamente posted:

Why not they're cheap! Unless you import it from Japan then it's $40 please lol. And there are a few things only on CD and not yet on vinyl, though it's primarily obscure stuff.

Been enjoying CDs a lot the last couple years. I never stopped buying them but having cars with CD decks has increased my ability to easily listen. I mean yeah my Blu-ray and DVD players play them too but it’s just more fun in a car

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 26, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Because I'm an autistic weirdo who won't stop yelling about loudness war. Why the hell else would I have thrown so many years and so much money into this hole? With the exception of a few comedy albums I probably haven't bought a CD in about ten years. But now it's getting to the point where none of this feels worth it anymore and all the fun is dead.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

lament.cfg posted:

lol VMP, thanks for the warning

“Don’t play out expensive rear end records on your lovely Crosley” is a marketing strategy I can get behind.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
When I A/B a really well mastered CD and LP I always prefer the CD. Willie Nelson - Teatro is one of my go-tos when I’m playing around with a system cause you have a lot of dynamics on the first track (and it sounds great), and I’ll go back and forth between CD and vinyl a little. CD wins.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hah yeah I also lived through the original cassette era and have zero desire to return to that. To be fair, mix tapes were always better than mix CDs, but aside from that I can't imagine the appeal. Shine on you crazy diamonds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I remember years ago one of the thread misanthropes that has thankfully disappeared was extolling the virtues of cassettes related to how easy they are to make and distribute. Which makes sense and is cool if you're balls deep in the local scene or only interested in Bands That Have Never Even Heard of Themselves and that's your only option, but that's basically where the benefit stops.

CPL593H posted:

Because I'm an autistic weirdo who won't stop yelling about loudness war. Why the hell else would I have thrown so many years and so much money into this hole? With the exception of a few comedy albums I probably haven't bought a CD in about ten years. But now it's getting to the point where none of this feels worth it anymore and all the fun is dead.

You're kinda doing it to yourself. I know I've lightly chastised you about this before, but maybe stop being so fixated on prices and "who would buy this" and general negativity and just enjoy this dumb hobby as much as you can. Yes, records are getting expensive and absurd but just ignore it and you'll be much happier.