Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

I'll go work on that nicer bow. I'm not even sure how I'll get troll leather armor, considering that my first attempt at fighting a troll was extremely poor. It almost feels more realistic to skip the troll and try to mine enough ore that I can make metal armor, but maybe that will change with other gear upgrades.

A new bow, a stack of fire arrows, and practice kiting them. Failing that, you can parry them with a bronze buckler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

wilderthanmild posted:

I'll go work on that nicer bow. I'm not even sure how I'll get troll leather armor, considering that my first attempt at fighting a troll was extremely poor. It almost feels more realistic to skip the troll and try to mine enough ore that I can make metal armor, but maybe that will change with other gear upgrades.

first you get the bow then you get the troll leather then you get the women

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i thought bows were just rear end until i got the finewood, that i think is the biggest improvement in any weapon. then the blackmetal shield for armour, cause holy gently caress that thing is amazing :swoon:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

wilderthanmild posted:

Trolls are great. Stay topped up on food and be well rested, and then engage them in melee and start practicing your dodge. I recommend kiting them into the meadows to cut down on the amount of greydwarf interruptions. Make sure to upgrade your current equipment as far as it can go to make things easier though!

Also, trolls are useful resources, especially early game - they can mine copper for you much faster than you can, they are very good at quickly knocking down lots of trees. You can get a lot of resources while practicing your dodge! You can even use trolls to get that fine bow much earlier - normally you need to raid crypts, beat eikther, do a bunch of mining, and finally do a bunch of smelting and crafting, but with the aid of a troll you can have that finewood bow in no time flat!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

once you get flint you should be able to chop down pines, meaning you can make spiked barricades, meaning you can lure the troll through a hilarious circuit of spikes and campfires while you caper in rags just out of reach

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I recommend kiting them into the meadows to cut down on the amount of greydwarf interruptions.

I'll see if I can pull this off. Last time I did this the greydwarfs showing up made it so much worse.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Definitely be topped up on food and well rested.

Once you take off the grey dwarves, easiest way to kill them is probably aiming your bow until he starts to attack, then releasing and quickly rolling back to safety. Do it in a meadow where trees won't interrupt you and get you killed, and dont start an attack unless your stamina is fully recovered - accidentally running out is the thing most likely to get you killed.

Also if you lure him into an area where you've built campfires around it will stop any more dudes from joining the fight.

Actually even if you fight him in the woods, dropping some campfires is always a great idea because greydwarfs are loving terrified of fire and will not attack you if there's one around! (except for the brutes who don't seem to care, but if you're fighting brutes AND a troll are your current level you are better off just running away anyway)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Definitely be topped up on food and well rested.

Once you take off the grey dwarves, easiest way to kill them is probably aiming your bow until he starts to attack, then releasing and quickly rolling back to safety. Do it in a meadow where trees won't interrupt you and get you killed, and dont start an attack unless your stamina is fully recovered - accidentally running out is the thing most likely to get you killed.

Also if you lure him into an area where you've built campfires around it will stop any more dudes from joining the fight.

Actually even if you fight him in the woods, dropping some campfires is always a great idea because greydwarfs are loving terrified of fire and will not attack you if there's one around! (except for the brutes who don't seem to care, but if you're fighting brutes AND a troll are your current level you are better off just running away anyway)

I have a hell of a time making rolls actually work properly; I seem to end up just jumping vertically most of the time. When I'm kiting a troll around, I tend to just stick with sprinting and sprint-jumps to keep away... maybe it's time to put in a little dodge practice.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ravenfood posted:

A new bow, a stack of fire arrows, and practice kiting them. Failing that, you can parry them with a bronze buckler.

The most challenge of kiting trolls is the slew of lesser mobs that are more than happy to harass you while you are dodging a swung tree.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
If you guys ever played Lords of the Fallen (a dark souls spinoff) that's p. much the only way I dodge in this game. No shield, no rolling. Most games will give melee enemies bullshit tracking but in Valheim you can walk to the side and they will not pivot to face you. They attack in the direction they started the attack, same as you. For multiple enemies or attacks with wide swings that prevent sidestepping I move just close enough to get them to start an attack then move outside the range of that attack.

I'm glad I switched from spear to club. Went from trying to poke enemies with a needle to making wide swings with a huge collision hull. Using the spear was like

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

replacing my atgeir with Frostner was fuckin bonkers, even when my spear skill was like 20 levels higher than clubs i was still just wrecking fools with that liquid nitrogen dripping hammer

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Johnny Truant posted:

replacing my atgeir with Frostner was fuckin bonkers, even when my spear skill was like 20 levels higher than clubs i was still just wrecking fools with that liquid nitrogen dripping hammer

Wait until you're stunlocking trolls to death off of one parry with the Porcupine. :getin:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Zaffy posted:

Agree to disagree. Build something majestic up there!

What the spawn area for the 5th boss looked like after we killed it

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

joepinetree posted:

looks structurally sound enough to me

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

joepinetree posted:

Is the 5th boss a fuckin earth bender?

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

GlyphGryph posted:

I will (I know I'm basically a broken record at this point, but eh) suggest that if people want to engage in complex elevated builds (or underwater builds) - get the mod that lets you manually cycle through snap points using the ctrl and alt keys. It makes things SO much more pleasant. https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/299

It does not actually prevent falling deaths, I still fall to my death constantly, but I'm a lot less frustrated about it now! :v:

I play on a laptop without a right-ctrl key. Can I reconfigure the keys in this mod? Also, does it just run client-side or do I need to install it on my dedicated server? This looks like just the thing for me.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Clitch posted:

Wait until you're stunlocking trolls to death off of one parry with the Porcupine. :getin:

there's been one of those in a chest that a homie made, fully upgraded, and i just.. never had the urge to pick it up :shrug:

gimme a mallet you just pulled out of a freezer any day!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

pik_d posted:

Is the 5th boss a fuckin earth bender?

the 5th boss has two particular abilities:

a breath of fire that goes forward in a horizontal line.

A slam that makes meteors fall from above at the players.

Both skills will cut through stone, but not soil.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Strangelet Wave posted:

I play on a laptop without a right-ctrl key. Can I reconfigure the keys in this mod? Also, does it just run client-side or do I need to install it on my dedicated server? This looks like just the thing for me.

Yep, keys are fully configurable, just edit the config file.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

joepinetree posted:

My first kill of him all the "fingers" were broken because I used them as cover from meteors and his flame breath

Also, Frostner seems specially made to murder everything in the swamp. Blunt for blobs and skeletons, Spirit for everything but leeches, and Frost against everything because everything in the swamp is permanently wet.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Has anyone has their longship randomly spawn upside down? Downside of making a nice deep pier is good luck getting those nails back.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jarmak posted:

Has anyone has their longship randomly spawn upside down? Downside of making a nice deep pier is good luck getting those nails back.

I hope folks are reporting bugs like this, after all it is in testing:
https://valheimbugs.featureupvote.com/

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

If you like to live dangerously, get some flint to make a knife and then sneak up on a troll to stab it in the rear end. You may find the results pleasing. Make sure you use the middle mouse-click attack.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

The club/frostner alt attack is an overhead bash that is perfect for murdering leeches

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I died to a pack of wolves last night and weakly rage quit without retrieving my grave and played crusader kings 3 instead. Fuckin torture for a night.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

My buddy and I just discovered the summoning site for the final boss. We're in no hurry to rush into the fight. Is it absolutely essential to have a full set of max upgraded padded armor and black metal gear for that fight? We're going to get it beforehand anyway but I was just wondering.

I feel like a disproportionate number of deaths happen due to "we were out doing our poo poo at night for no good reason when we could have slept and done it during the day", with the occasional fall damage death, and "one/two shotted by a one star or two star fuling that suddenly showed up".

The "unnecessary night time outing" deaths come in the form of things like "we would normally handle one or two wolves no sweat but instead you get swarmed by a pack with a one or two star wolf killing you". We've become much more respectful of day vs night in the game. Valheim is a rough place at night.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Zwabu posted:

My buddy and I just discovered the summoning site for the final boss. We're in no hurry to rush into the fight. Is it absolutely essential to have a full set of max upgraded padded armor and black metal gear for that fight? We're going to get it beforehand anyway but I was just wondering.

It's the same as all the other bosses past the first one, if you could handle them with the right strategy but under-geared it'll be no different.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Heffer posted:

The club/frostner alt attack is an overhead bash that is perfect for murdering leeches

I think we have different definitions of "overhead"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah the third combo mace strike is the overhead bash, the middlemouse alt-attack is a delayed underarm whack

both work for killing the hissslug trophy pinatas though

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Anyone know how to find out the world seed of a server I join via IP entry? My buddy is running it. Easiest way would be to ask him obviously. But, I’m wondering if there is any way for client to figure out this information independently.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Progress update on the Island Base:

360 ocean view.

First floor, the wooden walls hide forge/workbench upgrades

Thought this was a neat way to vent the first floor hearth

Second floor, still need to put down all the comfort items.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saul Kain posted:

Anyone know how to find out the world seed of a server I join via IP entry? My buddy is running it. Easiest way would be to ask him obviously. But, I’m wondering if there is any way for client to figure out this information independently.

This used to be in the player.log I think after you connected, but I don't see it there (or on the server) since the most recent update.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Saul Kain posted:

Press F2

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Zwabu posted:

I feel like a disproportionate number of deaths happen due to "we were out doing our poo poo at night for no good reason when we could have slept and done it during the day", with the occasional fall damage death, and "one/two shotted by a one star or two star fuling that suddenly showed up".

The "unnecessary night time outing" deaths come in the form of things like "we would normally handle one or two wolves no sweat but instead you get swarmed by a pack with a one or two star wolf killing you". We've become much more respectful of day vs night in the game. Valheim is a rough place at night.

Spoilers for those who don't want to get the walkthrough version:

The main sort of damage is fire, so a fire resist mead will help you more than armor.

It is also very resistant to pierce damage, so any weapons, black metal or not, that use pierce damage are sort of useless.

Frostner seemed to be very good for it. Frost arrows too.

That won't tell you the seed in the remote server. The player with the save file will have to be the one to tell you the seed.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I can't remember if it was here or on reddit but someone showed a room carpeted in wall-to-wall lox rugs which inspired me to finally somewhat decorate a bigass room connected to my and my wife's bedroom that's been empty since I built the place a couple weeks ago.

The carpeting really makes it relaxing to just sit in here. My stepson came up with the simple idea for couches by building around benches to actually be able to sit on them and to me they work so well in here.

This is a "hottub" my wife wanted connected to our current base. I love the base but can't figure out what to build over/around it. The line of banners is a placeholder atm to test a concept. I'm open to suggestions.

I'd post a picture of the full megabase structure from the outside but it's just a brick with a very open "factory" floor for all storage and crafting topped by a plain 2-floor wooden structure with the bedrooms - 4 small bedrooms on the 2nd floor since we used to have 5 people playing on our server and the 3rd floor is for me and my wife.

Finally after 450+ hours played for me and 1091 days in game my wife, stepson, and I defeated Yagluth. We spent soooooo long just building. The current megabase is our 3rd one and built to avoid the 28000 instances in the 2nd one. But even at 8000 instances in the last monstrosity I still drop to 40 fps there but it does load so much faster.

Awhile back I wanted to sneak a peek at our world so loaded in single player and did the exploreall console command. I didn't know it would carry over on that character to multiplayer and I've been playing without the thrill of exploration for most of the game's life (I learned about the command to reset exploration much later). Shortly after Yagluth we decided to drop everything and start a new world with all of us naked but still using our old characters and their skills. We've already found the maypole and started our first main base around it which is pretty exciting to me. I had to cheat to find it in our old world and never built anything there. Here's to at least another 500 hours in this ridiculously enthralling game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

For the hot tub I'd make it look like a Greek gazebo. You're nearly there, anyway.

Making a circular stone roof is hard but far from impossible.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Do the stone floor tiles provide the "sheltered" status?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, stone counts as shelter.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Pro-tip: if you need to farm some resin go do some copper mining at night.

My fang spear was cutting through walking dead-like hordes of greydwarves. Can confirm the spear does in fact hit multiple targets cause I was skewering them 2-3 at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If you've ever watched the edge of the Black Forest at night, you may have observed greydwarfs retreating at dawn. This is especially noticeable when sneaking through it.

I'm fairly sure that the Black Forest gets a LOT of extra spawns at night time that despawn at the dawn. Is this true for other biomes as well? Do the starred night time mountain wolves also despawn at dawn?