Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

McCloud posted:

People reacted to the usage of "squint" in the context of talking about asian-inspired properties .

that's insanely tedious, twitter is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I didn't even see why the word 'squint' would be so troubling until I remembered that old racist trope which I thought had all but been extinguished by now.
Of course she didn't mean anything by it, though she probably reacted too defensively.

That said even if she did apologize in the vein of 'I am sorry that my words upset people, but that wasnt my intention', I bet twitter is gonna twitter and say the only apology that counts is her publically outing herself as a 100 % racist or something

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

CmdrKing posted:

hahaha Lindsay Ellis taking an L and trying to learn that's a good one.

I have no idea why she's just incapable of saying "sorry my bad".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't Raya the last Dragon also a Disney movie made by Americans?
The writers are both SE Asian.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't Raya the last Dragon also a Disney movie made by Americans?

Directed by two American dudes (white and Mexican), screenplay written by an Asian-American and an "American-based Malaysian" (wikipedia's phrasing, not mine), and "story by" those four together plus a bunch of other people who don't have wiki entries but very white American sounding names. So definitely more Asians involved in the writing process then ATLA's zero, but still very heavily filtered through mostly white, mostly male American cinema decision making.

Anyway it's this:

Dias posted:

The original criticism is fair, the thing with "squint" is bad faith as all gently caress but that's Twitter for you.

I can imagine that for many Asian content creators there are some very heavily mixed feelings about ATLA and how it's viewed, considering for a show created and written almost exclusively by white guys it appropriates a loving TON of Asian cultural, religious, and architectural motifs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The person taking umbrage with the tweet is of Southeast Asian descent (as she says in that tweet) and I think outright dismissing their concerns is pretty poo poo. I think you can excuse anyone who is Asian for being pretty on edge right now.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 26, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ellis getting poo poo for that is especially hilarious in light of Honest Trailers’ entire Raya video being a riff on how much it stole from Avatar...

https://youtu.be/6Cbw4RKmR44

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jamie Faith posted:

It's Twitter, you can never back down on Twitter. I get defensive a bit too easily much like her and tbf that thread isn't exactly the smoothest way to approach someone on something that's more of a microaggression, so I'd react poorly at first too, but that's exactly why it's better to just apologize and move on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Don't be on Twitter. Save your mental health.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't be on Twitter. Save your mental health.

Seeing the tweets about Chrissy Teagan leaving Twitter were especially revelatory. There are folks who really and truly think they are fighting the good fight for social justice when they cyberbully random celebrities.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Talking to people on twitter is basically being slapped in the face and then having a knife forced into your hands. Now you're lashing out at everyone.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
is the movie good that's all i care about

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Jimbot posted:

The person taking umbrage with the tweet is of Southeast Asian descent (as she says in that tweet) and I think outright dismissing their concerns is pretty poo poo. I think you can excuse anyone who is Asian for being pretty on edge right now.

yea it seems like a pretty reasonable criticism to me, tho i guess in general once you get real famous its hard to swallow your ego and apologize?? i saw p similar reactions to some article saying raya is like atla too so i guess it's like a pet peeve... personally it's a bit dumb to see a movie with the four elements or w/e and then go "is this atla???"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Raya is pretty heavily Americanized through the filter of the typical Disney Animation Studios formula and aesthetic. I don't think just having X amount of Asian people on the set automatically negates that.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
People want Lindsay to apologize for the connection they made in their own head and that's wild

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Augus posted:

Raya is pretty heavily Americanized through the filter of the typical Disney Animation Studios formula and aesthetic. I don't think just having X amount of Asian people on the set automatically negates that.

yea i dunno much about the movie and im still going through atla so im just spitballing here, but it might be cause asians just like, get tired of people lookin at works done by them and go "is this an atla ripoff??" like that wow cool robot meme (even tho its Americanized)

personally i just think it's kind of rude that people are calling asians Crazy or saying that it's all made up, for getting annoyed at that (speaking as a asian american) :shrug:

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

playing defense instead of just apologizing for the thoughtless tweet is really stupid, there's no reason to be going to bat for lindsay here lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Honestly, unless you hurt someone or were directly bigoted, never apologize for Twitter poo poo. It's so exhausting and meaningless.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I wouldnt call it a thoughtless tweet. Plus its hard to apologize for something you believe is perfectly explainable instead.
(not sure how it helps by using the word 'ya crazies' though. But I see that response on twitter a lot in lighthearted contexts)

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i never have to apologize because i don't say stupid poo poo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The magical power of text is that if you can avoid any variation of 'I'm sorry if you were offended' or 'I apologize if my actions/words harmed anyone' then you're golden. You don't really have to mean anything, it's just text, no one can tell if you're rolling your eyes and typing it one-handed while flipping off the screen!

But Twitter is brain poison and every conversation is taken with the grim seriousness that you'd have in a Mexican standoff.

Holy poo poo, we've brought back duels to the death, it's all on Twitter now and the medium is posting!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ivypls posted:

i never have to apologize because i don't say stupid poo poo

Or just never go on twitter like me. Problem solved.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Augus posted:

Also like La'Ron Readus said in the video posted earlier the moral is kinda bad with the villain who inflicts serious trauma on Raya is never brought to realize she did anything wrong.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I really don't think it's that hard or bad to just go "oh sorry about that folks! My bad." imo

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Twitter being the halfway point between 4chan and reddit has the problems of both.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

If you don't think you should apologize, your apology will not be earnest.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

ButterSkeleton posted:

If you don't think you should apologize, your apology will not be earnest.

Tbh even if you're honest about it, that's not gonna stop some people from saying its not earnest anyway.

There is no winning move on twitter.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Jamie Faith posted:

I really don't think it's that hard or bad to just go "oh sorry about that folks! My bad." imo

I'm having a hard time seeing myself having a measured response to that thread. It seemed pretty uncharitable. She almost literally said "yikes, is everything made by someone who isn't white the same to you???"

like I'm a pretty big proponent of "you don't get to determine how your words make people feel" but there's gotta be a line somewhere when someone is doing a giant misreading of a tweet, right? and then like, attacking you over it, or losing their poo poo.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 26, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s a lot of extrapolation based on very little

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Jamie Faith posted:

:same:

it doesn't really cost anything to apologize if what you said was like, kinda dumb or w/e instead of doubling down on it

jackofarcades posted:

I'm having a hard time seeing myself having a measured response to that thread. It seemed pretty uncharitable. She almost literally said "yikes, is everything made by someone who isn't white the same to you???"

like I'm a pretty big proponent of "you don't get to determine how your words make people feel" but there's gotta be a line somewhere when someone is doing a giant misreading of a tweet, right? and then like, attacking you over it, or losing their poo poo.

i mean, the original tweet being responded to was saying that "raya was basically a genre that's a redux of ATLA", that's kind of generalizing to say about stuff

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

Easy, you just don't feel like you need to apologize. It's easy in the sense that you can type those words out on a computer and send it, but if you don't feel like you need to, you won't.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Twitter being the halfway point between 4chan and reddit has the problems of both.

what does this even mean

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's a space that's basically unregulated save for things that trip an automated ban responses (like 4chan), and visibility is determined by engagement (like reddit). It's just as valueless and inherently catering to nazis as any other unregulated space and being unable to disengage with it is just as shameful as being unable to disengage from 4chan. Only difference is famous people use it so we pretend it's normal.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Bleck posted:

what does this even mean

im assuming he means it has the ease of shitposting of 4chan but the idiotic drive for clout/upvotes/likes of reddit

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

idk i only see one place doing 'actually those snowflakes are too riled up' so I'm not sure the birdsite is the best comparison to reddit/4chan atm

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

0 rows returned posted:

im assuming he means it has the ease of shitposting of 4chan but the idiotic drive for clout/upvotes/likes of reddit
yeah this

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I often see the advice that white people should shut up and listen to poc especially when they're explaining why someone overstepped. I even see that advice repeated here on SA. I don't recall the addendum being "...unless it's a person you like, in which case people are just being whiny and should suck it up"

Lindsey should have just made a simple apology and instead she doubled down and hosed up in a way that really rubbed some folks the wrong way, especially because this seems to be a pattern with her and how she reacts when people call her out

as for the word "squinted", although it sees pretty innocuous to me, a white guy, at least some people of asian descent reacted to that phrasing and instead of dismissing that as twitter being twitter maybe take the advice and listen when they say it's an inappropriate context to use the word in!

Or don't, i dunno, I'm not your mom

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

McCloud posted:

I often see the advice that white people should shut up and listen to poc especially when they're explaining why someone overstepped. I even see that advice repeated here on SA. I don't recall the addendum being "...unless it's a person you like, in which case people are just being whiny and should suck it up"

https://twitter.com/richard_mercz/status/1375473532889616385?s=21

which poc should everyone shut the gently caress up and listen to?
no group of people is a monolith and no Twitter rando is the CEO of Asian People

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 27, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

idk i only see one place doing 'actually those snowflakes are too riled up' so I'm not sure the birdsite is the best comparison to reddit/4chan atm

That's mostly because Twitter lets you curate your timeline so unless someone pushes the lovely parts of it into your view you can just ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah people absolutely do that on twitter. and reddit, and basically every website that doesn't ban that on sight