Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

Is there ever a new OP song? Because it's pretty dire

You'll learn to like it...because the others aren't any better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Be advised that you should definitely always skip the next episode previews because they will spoil the poo poo out of all the biggest moments.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Len posted:

Is there ever a new OP song? Because it's pretty dire

There are four (every 26 eps give or take). They are all pretty unimpressive. You can skip guilt free.

After enough eps they will feel like an old friend tho.

The Eds are the ones that feels more tied to the show.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I used to really like most of the original's OP themes, until the new show's blew them away in every possible respect

In fact I need to throw that on again right now.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The new show op is very very good but I’m ride or die 💯 for the original as an adaptation.

It’s interesting supplemental material as far as I’m concerned

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The openings on the OVA weren't great, but they did make some pretty good selections of classical background music.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Alliance and Empire themes from the show are also pretty great despite nonsense lyrics

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bongo Bill posted:

Be advised that you should definitely always skip the next episode previews because they will spoil the poo poo out of all the biggest moments.

I close the thing as soon as the show ends and the credits start

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Len posted:

I close the thing as soon as the show ends and the credits start

Sometimes the episode continues while the credits are going, so watch out for that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bongo Bill posted:

Sometimes the episode continues while the credits are going, so watch out for that.

Yeah it's happened once so far, the bastards

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Credit music with text over unfamiliar animation is the tell. I hear that music in my head a lot while listening to the book

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

DamnGlitch posted:

There are four (every 26 eps give or take). They are all pretty unimpressive. You can skip guilt free.

After enough eps they will feel like an old friend tho.

The Eds are the ones that feels more tied to the show.

I felt like the OPs grow on you a bit, except the 4th one? Eds are definitely pretty good, Kei Ogura made some nice songs.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love the eds, I enjoy the ops but "they grow on you" is the best you can say of them. They are kinda kitchy, given all the engrish. I can't remember lyrics normally but "Darkness turns to light, sailing so free, sailing in peace, lay your heart down unto the sea of stars." still is stuck in my head and it even makes me tear up because I'm a light touch.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mostly the OPs grow on you because of association with the show and the characters, and themes. Like in a vacuum they're not much to listen to, but when it means LOGH is happening, it takes on a whole new aura.

"In every age, in every place, the deeds of man remain the same." Says so much in so few words. Any music that came after that was going to punch above its weight.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
I've never posted in ADRTW, but I just started watching LOGH in January (in partnership with Babylon 5), and am now heading into episode 40 of the series (which I gather is a grand history ep, so I'm stoked). I'm not reading anything else in this thread until I'm done.

But, JFC this is the greatest loving show. I wasn't ready for this, at all. Its all too topical and relevant.

"In every age, in every place, the deeds of man remain the same."
....like, damnnnnnn

tiberion02 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 25, 2021

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I started watching the OVAs because I'm still feeling how previous poster does about the main series, after finally watching it all last year. Definitely one of if not the best piece of entertainment I've seen, honestly.

I basically stopped watching OVAs (which I'm trying to watch in a specific order) once it got to Yang Wen-li on his first assignment since it's pretty boring compared to the previous Reinhard episodes on his first assignment, but I'm going to power through it soon. So far my favorite scene is Kircheis & Reinhard walking to some military commander's office and Mittermeyer & Reuenthal see them for the first time, staring silently while going over paperwork. Big gang moment.

knox fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 26, 2021

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
you can watch the drat thing like every two years and find something new, i'm really excited for neue these to go all the way and see what that introduces as a complete work

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

its been so long since i watched LOGH but i just wanted to chime in and remind everyone that LIBERTY STANDS FOR FREEDOM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRI5eWWZIpo

that dumb song really grew on me and now i want to re-watch this

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My mom still sometimes asks me if there's any new LOGH and I have to remind her that the old series ended and she's watched the gaidens too. She's not interested in the reboot.

At least she's currently enjoying HxH.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

you can watch the drat thing like every two years and find something new, i'm really excited for neue these to go all the way and see what that introduces as a complete work

I do like the improved battles with the CGI, but everything else feels worse than the original- the animation, voice actors, not sure if I'll ever watch whole thing. I have watched a comparison of the first episodes and it is cool there's subtle changes, like Oberstein not jumping infront of Reinhard during The Scene, which I guess matches the manga or novels more closely. But I much prefer the original animation and the HD remasters or whatever they are. I'm good with all the Gaiden episodes I have to watch and eventually rewatch series. Maybe when remake is done I'll check it out.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

My mom still sometimes asks me if there's any new LOGH and I have to remind her that the old series ended and she's watched the gaidens too. She's not interested in the reboot.

At least she's currently enjoying HxH.

Sounds like a pretty cool mom, what are you a Microwave rereg? :raise:

e:

knox posted:

I have watched a comparison of the first episodes and it is cool there's subtle changes, like Oberstein not jumping infront of Reinhard during The Scene, which I guess matches the manga or novels more closely.

Is that not in his character in the books? I always thought it was meant to show that he wasn't just some scummy politician rear end-kissing his way to the top, he legit believed in Reinhard's ideals and was prepared to die to protect them/him.

vvv Nice, that's the opposite of how most book > film translations go.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 27, 2021

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Everyone’s characters are flatter in the books. The ova does a lot to flesh them out while not contradicting the books.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Starting a rewatch of the first season of die neue these to be followed by the second / movie eps which I haven't seen. SO is on a space opera kick after watching The Expanse (very good btw).

The new designs aren't as upsetting as I remember, but I don't think there's a universe where I don't just flat out prefer the OVA, but it's nice to have the remake as a different take

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Takes No Damage posted:

Don't even know who that is.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

its been so long since i watched LOGH but i just wanted to chime in and remind everyone that LIBERTY STANDS FOR FREEDOM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRI5eWWZIpo

that dumb song really grew on me and now i want to re-watch this

Been years since I finished the show but I still feel like laughing at how dumb it is while tearing up at the same time, amazing

SING ALONG! RING A BELL! LIBERTY~!

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

e:

Is that not in his character in the books? I always thought it was meant to show that he wasn't just some scummy politician rear end-kissing his way to the top, he legit believed in Reinhard's ideals and was prepared to die to protect them/him.

vvv Nice, that's the opposite of how most book > film translations go.

I'm not sure what the difference means honestly but I saw many people comment on it. I think there is something to the theory Oberstein took Kircheis' gun for a reason, as he was somehow in on plan allowing Ansbach to get a weapon in- not to have Reinhard killed ofcourse but to ensure his place as Reinhard's main advisor and to allow him to make the cold decisions he knew Kircheis would not allow him to make. But It's never really expanded on in the series/it's pretty sloppy for someone like Oberstein, and I'm not sure how much detail is written in the books about that particular scene. It's just odd how on Oberstein's order Kircheis is forced to give up his weapon right before that event happens.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

knox posted:

I'm not sure what the difference means honestly but I saw many people comment on it. I think there is something to the theory Oberstein took Kircheis' gun for a reason, as he was somehow in on plan allowing Ansbach to get a weapon in- not to have Reinhard killed ofcourse but to ensure his place as Reinhard's main advisor and to allow him to make the cold decisions he knew Kircheis would not allow him to make. But It's never really expanded on in the series/it's pretty sloppy for someone like Oberstein, and I'm not sure how much detail is written in the books about that particular scene. It's just odd how on Oberstein's order Kircheis is forced to give up his weapon right before that event happens.

Hm I'd have to rewatch the episode to double check, by memory it was just him removing some of the special treatment K-man had been getting, but you're right the timing is sus as hell. I don't see how it could have been a Death Note-style ALL ACCORDING TO MY PLANS thing since the assassin fires a portable mortar thing like 2ft away from Reinhard's head. Maybe if he was some oldschool badass intentionally failing the attempt and suiciding himself to take out Kircheis, but he's just some random mook trying to avenge one of the nobles that Reinhard took out.

I looked up the clip on Youtube, and while it's probably more realistic, lol at the room full of generals standing around staring at the guy while he slowly takes aim and fires, then wrestles with Kircheis and ring-lasers him TWICE before they grab the guy.

Unrelated, but it's nice to see LoGH remaining relevant in our modern times:

"In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same."

Argas posted:

Don't even know who that is.

Just an old goon with a cool mom :grin:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Takes No Damage posted:

Just an old goon with a cool mom :grin:

World needs more cool moms.

She reached the Chimera Ants in HxH now. :unsmigghh:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Just reading a review of the old sidescrolling beat-em-up Mad Stalker, and...

What's this?

Zoom! Enhance!

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 14, 2021

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
is there any LOGH merch?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Define merch and specify whether you mean OVA or DNT. No idea if the books, manga, or golden wings have anything specific to them.

There are action figures for the OVA and DNT.

Lol at this thing. What a steal.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
the OVA. i know they made a yang and reinhard figuirne, are they still available? is there anything else

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
There was a line of painted diecast ships called the Fleet File Collection but I heard they're pretty underwhelming. Real shame we don't have decent kits.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

err posted:

the OVA. i know they made a yang and reinhard figuirne, are they still available? is there anything else

yeah I need a Kircheis figure, or Brunhild ship which is one of the cooler design spaceships I've ever seen.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Group of friends and I are sitting down each week to push through and finally watch this gargantuan project. After about two months, we're up to episode 40 or so of the OVA. Might catalogue our reactions to specific moments later, but god what an incredible work of television. I bought the first novel on a whim and I'll probably end up grabbing the whole set later on. Its just wholly incredible from top to bottom.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Nerdietalk posted:

Group of friends and I are sitting down each week to push through and finally watch this gargantuan project. After about two months, we're up to episode 40 or so of the OVA. Might catalogue our reactions to specific moments later, but god what an incredible work of television. I bought the first novel on a whim and I'll probably end up grabbing the whole set later on. Its just wholly incredible from top to bottom.

Watching LOGH with a group sounds like a great time! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the show both as you are watching and once you finish.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Looks like De Neue These is back in March, they're doing three movies over 3 months. Presumably we'll get episodes out of that next fall maybe?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

duckdealer posted:

Watching LOGH with a group sounds like a great time! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the show both as you are watching and once you finish.

Rewatched it with my roomie at the time and gf. It’s a good way to go about it

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I personally really like Skies of Love, especially the jazz cover of it by Platina Jazz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Ptu0ZHcy0

Love me a sentimental love song as the theme to a war story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Going back through the chats to pick out which reaction relates to what moment is a little difficult, but here are some highlights that our groupwatch has felt thus far.

Episode 4/Reinhard flashback episode
Quinn — 07/29/2021
Kircheis: "Reinhard please stop doing brutal power moves on children"
Reinhard: "I can't"
xc — 07/29/2021
please avoid murdering the other kids
duo — 07/29/2021
"don't get into fights all the time"
"holy poo poo. great idea. you're a loving tactician bro"

Episode 8 or so? When Oberstein just flat out tells Reinhard he wants to make him the new Kaiser
nerdietalk — 08/05/2021
this
is BOLD
Quinn — 08/05/2021
holy poo poo
Eric — 08/05/2021
Oberstein is already hosed
Quinn — 08/05/2021
he's simultaneously
Eric — 08/05/2021
he's got nothing to lose
magnet — 08/05/2021
let's loving go lads
Quinn — 08/05/2021
joining a rebel regime
and proposing the existence of said regime

Raven — 08/05/2021
Reinhard: "Do you have any idea how much power I'd have to give up to be a Chief Officer?"

Quinn — 08/05/2021
honestly
the space battles are rapidly becoming the LESS intense part of the show

The "Yang is Napoleon in Russia" arc and the Civil War arcs are a lot harder to search through for specific moments and they're all really great, but I'm gonna jump right to the Westerland Massacre. We stopped right after that episode and probably spent the whole week discussing whether or not Oberstein's information was wrong, he purposefully gave false information, or if he sent the nuke himself. But that ambiguity is endlessly thrilling and one of the highest points of the entire series for me and probably for the whole group.

Anyway. The Big Episode 25 Moment
Raven — 10/14/2021
WHAT?
WHAT? WHAT? WAHT? WHAT?
Eric — 10/14/2021
Wait he DIES?
Quinn — 10/14/2021
KIRCHEIS JUST DIES?
magnet — 10/14/2021
and then, poo poo got real
nerdietalk — 10/14/2021
WHAT THE gently caress
magnet — 10/14/2021
RIP to a good boy
Raven — 10/14/2021
THE BOY???
THE BOY IS JUST DEAD?

Quinn — 10/14/2021
this is bad, for the galaxy
Raven — 10/14/2021
is i
is it okay if I
magnet — 10/14/2021
no more Kircheis now Reinhard only lives for POWER
Raven — 10/14/2021
friendship ended with KIRCHEIS
now OBERSTEIN is my only friend

Raven — 10/14/2021
you know what this setting hasn't had for, days
a massive coup
Quinn — 10/14/2021
dad's not home quick kill the prime minister

Quinn — 10/14/2021
Oberstein frantically running the numbers on how much he can do before Reinhard comes out of his dead boyfriend coma

Eric — 10/14/2021
he has a LOCK OF HIS HAIR
Raven — 10/14/2021
is that a loving LOCK OF KIRCHEIS'S HAIR
Lyssiechan — 10/14/2021
he has a LOCK of his HAIR
magnet — 10/14/2021
it super is
Raven — 10/14/2021
HE WAS SO IN LOVE

And a bit of season 2 re: Reinhard
Eric — 10/14/2021
I think he looks TOO hinged right now
He looks dangerously sane
As Terry Pratchett might put it
Raven — 10/14/2021
there's a monster behind those eyes
Quinn — 10/14/2021
there's nothing left in his head but goals

I'll stop there in terms of group reactions, but here's one final thing that I think sums up LoGH in a nutshell

Eric — 10/28/2021
oh
oh poo poo
someone said the G word
poo poo's about to get STUPID
Quinn — 10/28/2021
I missed it, what was the G word
Lyssiechan — 10/28/2021
glory
Quinn — 10/28/2021
oh NO