Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodecahedron
Nov 29, 2004

Polycahedric Perfection

I really enjoyed when the new cap said "We've been targeting civilians" without flinching, that boy ain't media trained yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I appreciate what they're trying to do with the show with regard to socioeconomic and American racism issues, but damned if they aren't doing it in the most awkward, hokey way possible.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The trade-off is that when they do subtle, people deny it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Phylodox posted:

And the Ancient One immediately tells Banner that they’re dumb and don’t know poo poo about time travel.

No, she does not. She points out that taking the Time stone would create a divergent reality in which the Earth of that reality would not have to help defend against the forces of darkness. Hulk's Earth/timeline will be fine. Without the Time stone, that divergent reality see Earth get eaten by Dormammu.

Again, Back to the Future is bull-poo poo. You cannot change your present/future by going back and altering your past. Nothing the Ancient One told Hulk changes that.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't buy the Flag Smasher theory, they may not outright have talked about genocide, but the language they use it very common racist talk. "It was better before X group of people came here", "why are we spending resources on X group instead of 'our own'?". I could be totally wrong, but so far they are sending out some very bad signals.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they're still being kind of ambiguous about the Flag Smashers. Like we still haven't heard anything about their actual views or agenda beyond vague rhetoric. But this episode definitely framed them in a much more sympathetic light and I thought that "they believe in open borders so you can see why that would appeal to people" line was intended to be "they have some good ideas but bad actions" kind of thing. So my guess is the main one will definitely come out of this no worse than a Ghost or Bucky type while their might still be bad parties within the group/movement. But this episode certainly felt like setup for Flag Smasher and USAgent to end up flipping roles a bit by the end. But I don't expect either to be full on villains when all is said and done.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Oasx posted:

I don't buy the Flag Smasher theory, they may not outright have talked about genocide, but the language they use it very common racist talk. "It was better before X group of people came here", "why are we spending resources on X group instead of 'our own'?". I could be totally wrong, but so far they are sending out some very bad signals.

I kind of got the sense that the people blipped were being treated as analogous to immigrants and/or refugees what with the unblipped resenting them as intruders. But then that analogy would be really dumb so I hope it isn't that.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This episode whipped rear end

John Walker being all like I jumped on four grenades and completely missing the point of why Steve jumped on the grenade is the perfect encapsulation of the character. Good poo poo

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Carlosologist posted:

This episode whipped rear end

John Walker being all like I jumped on four grenades and completely missing the point of why Steve jumped on the grenade is the perfect encapsulation of the character. Good poo poo

Seems like he’s four times as good as Steve “One Grenade” Rogers :colbert:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

massive spider posted:

I kind of got the sense that the people blipped were being treated as analogous to immigrants and/or refugees what with the unblipped resenting them as intruders. But then that analogy would be really dumb so I hope it isn't that.

Well, let's recall that the Flag-smashers were trying to get medicine to those in the camps, those in the camps would likely be the Returnees. I got the impression with the one guy sacrificing himself that the Fs were attempting to get medicine to people who desperately needed it and that's why the guy felt it was worth dying for. I get the feeling that there's two "Tiers" of Returnees. The "lowers" tier is normal people who came back to their house gone, job gone, etc. The "upper tier" is the rich folks returning to take back what was theirs and screw whoever has it now. No real support for that, but it feels right.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Golden Bee posted:

The trade-off is that when they do subtle, people deny it.

The Boys was very illuminating. Unless you literally show this person is a Nazi who had Hitler attend her wedding people will find any excuse to wave off subtle showing of racism.

Seriously, people are debating on Reddit whether that cop was in the right to stop and nearly draw on Sam.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 26, 2021

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Seems like he’s four times as good as Steve “One Grenade” Rogers :colbert:

Pfft, he had a specially made helmet to protect against grenades, Steve did that poo poo with no protection

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The quips felt like too much and forced.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Once again the only villain here is The US Government

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

The quips felt like too much and forced.
I'd agree if they were just meeting, but they've had this dynamic for years. It only feels inorganic within the context of the show, but not in the broader MCU.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

glad they're doing isaiah bradley, though i kinda laughed at how they demonstrated his super strength. how much poo poo has this dude thrown into his walls?

massive spider posted:

i'm not getting racism or anti-immigrant vibes from the almost cartoonishly diverse group that does a call and response of "one world/one people". they don't seem to be expressing any venom towards the people that came back, just at the governments and organizations that are drawing up the old national boundaries again.

battlestar (i appreciated bucky's reaction to dude's name) says the GRC are "reactivating citizenship" in particular, if the flag-smashers were meant to represent nationalism/anti-immigration, it would be weird to have them opposing those kinda efforts, since citizenship is core to all that poo poo

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

double negative posted:

i'm not getting battlestar (i appreciated bucky's reaction to dude's name) says the GRC are "reactivating citizenship" in particular, if the flag-smashers were meant to represent nationalism/anti-immigration, it would be weird to have them opposing those kinda efforts, since citizenship is core to all that poo poo

It was disrespectful, and mighty unaware from a grown man named "Bucky"

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

this show is already so much more interesting and more nuanced than Wandavision is. Or as I like to think of it, Wandavision, Girlboss feminism where mind rape is okay versus actually characters dealing with the consequences of their actions dealing with racism and if redemption is possible even when you're a superhero. It's also telling I'm seeing less conversation a tad more lukewarm to this from the usual white women MCU fans on twitter because of how complicated it's already gotten.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Mameluke posted:

It was disrespectful, and mighty unaware from a grown man named "Bucky"

lol they couldn't accept "lemar hoskins" from the guy with the tactical gear labeled "hoskins" in big letters, but the corny alias was just too much to handle

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

I am loving that this show is Marvel’s Lethal Weapon.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Imagine thinking your finally rid of him, and then Jeff Bezos blips back staking claims on half the retail economy and being catered to immediately versus everyone who lived through the years of hell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Screenrant's eastegg vids are still good for catching stuff, like I totally missed that Bradly's grandson was patriot. That means that we have every member of the Young Avengers except teddy now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This show really isn't bad but the therapy session scene was so terrible that i might stop watching it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I know it won't happen, but I'd love for one of the ending scenes from episode six to be something like:

A Wakandan transport lands in the Wakandan city in front of Shuri and Bucky gets out

Shuri: Sergeant Barnes-

Bucky: Bucky.

Shuri: Bucky. You said you needed my help for an old friend.

Bucky: I did. It isn't quite what you dealt with for me, but-

Shuri: You have brought yet another white boy for me to fix?

Isaiah Bradley, looking around in suspicion and wonder, gets off the transport.

Bucky: Not exactly...

Everyone fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 27, 2021

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

LionArcher posted:

this show is already so much more interesting and more nuanced than Wandavision is. Or as I like to think of it, Wandavision, Girlboss feminism where mind rape is okay versus actually characters dealing with the consequences of their actions dealing with racism and if redemption is possible even when you're a superhero. It's also telling I'm seeing less conversation a tad more lukewarm to this from the usual white women MCU fans on twitter because of how complicated it's already gotten.

gently caress off with your misogynistic redditor gimmick. It's possible to have a discussion of Wanda's consequences or lack thereof (which this thread has done multiple times) and/or discuss Falcon and Winter Soldier's handling of racist without being extremely sexist. Why do you even post here?

For real content, I am pleasantly surprised with this show so far. Like many other people, I thought this would end up being a very generic MCU action show and not at all what it is. The banter between Sam and Bucky doesn't come off like it did in the trailers. They seem to have a challenging interaction with each other that isn't super dramatized but still has some good tension.

US Agent is really subtle as well. His character could be completely unlikable or feel really cheesy but I think he's playing him with just the right balance of rear end in a top hat. Him playing with the cop siren was a really great illustration of maybe well-intention but still unconsciously racist white people. I hope they keep him in this grey area even as they have his character getting more extreme. It would be too easy to make him a one dimensional villain and I appreciate how he's being portrayed as a true but potentially privileged believer.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 27, 2021

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think it’s reasonable grounded drama from all sides. Marvel would do well to have fewer villains whose plan is to blow up Earth, because we know they won’t do it, but people like Ultron and Zemo manage to do huge damage.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I really rankled at USAgent calling him 'Bucky'. That's Steve's nickname for him, not yours.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The_Doctor posted:

I really rankled at USAgent calling him 'Bucky'. That's Steve's nickname for him, not yours.

I admit to kind of wondering how much of all this with Walker is how things shook out, how much is on his bosses/handlers and how much is Walker's deliberate action. I'm wondering if we're going to find out that his wife/girlfriend from the locker room is/was some kind of intelligence operative. Lke, did Walker cultivate relationships with her and "Battlestar" to better emulate Steve Rogers' connections with Peggy/Sharon Carter and Sam Fisher ("See, I have a spy girlfriend and a black bestie just like Steve did!"). Like, Walker doesn't want to take up the mantle of Captain America so much as fully inhabit it - the way Buffalo Bill wanted to make a "woman dress" in The Silence of the Lambs.

Taken that way, of course Walker wants to "team up" with Bucky and Sam. They're part of the "Captain America" package. Perhaps to his way of thinking, you're supposed to get the shield, the costume, the fame and the two earlier Captain America sidekicks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Everything about Walker pisses me off, he really has no right to that shield or the uniform. Someone called him a cop earlier in this thread and it’s spot-on. The grenade thing is a perfect encapsulation of it. Steve did it pre-serum in an act of spontaneous courage and self-sacrifice by using his own frail body to try and protect his fellow soldiers. Meanwhile, this motherfucker brags about having a special helmet just to catch grenades and how he’s already done it four times.

gently caress you, you little poo poo. :argh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What's Sam done tho? Gets his rear end kicked by an ant, commits treason, gets his rear end kicked by a spider, then vanishes for 5 years

I prefer heroes that don't get snapped out of existence

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't help but think that the Flash Smashers might end up like the Injustice Society in Stargirl where their end goal is probably a good idea but they are going to kill a lot, and i mean a lot of people in the process and justify it as making the world better. And not just people responsible for the ills, but indiscriminately.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Well, he did help save thousands of lives by taking down those helicarriers run by and full of alt-Nazi fucks intent on assassinating civilians they deemed threats.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

gently caress off with your misogynistic redditor gimmick. It's possible to have a discussion of Wanda's consequences or lack thereof (which this thread has done multiple times) and/or discuss Falcon and Winter Soldier's handling of racist without being extremely sexist. Why do you even post here?

For real content, I am pleasantly surprised with this show so far. Like many other people, I thought this would end up being a very generic MCU action show and not at all what it is. The banter between Sam and Bucky doesn't come off like it did in the trailers. They seem to have a challenging interaction with each other that isn't super dramatized but still has some good tension.

US Agent is really subtle as well. His character could be completely unlikable or feel really cheesy but I think he's playing him with just the right balance of rear end in a top hat. Him playing with the cop siren was a really great illustration of maybe well-intention but still unconsciously racist white people. I hope they keep him in this grey area even as they have his character getting more extreme. It would be too easy to make him a one dimensional villain and I appreciate how he's being portrayed as a true but potentially privileged believer.

She legit mind rapes someone (the bad guy) the last episode and it's kind of glossed over, but also seen as "fine". As for misogynistic, I suppose you're talking about my girl boss comment, but It's legit what i'm seeing on twitter. Wanda as a character is compelling (Olson is a fantastic actor and it's great she had the series to shine) and talking about grief is important. They just glossed over it with the ending and relied on the usual goodwill. This show on the other hand already is clearly addressing the larger elephants in the room it brings up, with nuance. New captain America is clearly both too much of a cop and not worthy of the role, while at the same time would be a classic white guy for obvious reasons that would "never be racist". Already there's a lot to chew there, and listening to the head writer talk about it on a podcast they're leaning into all of that.

I will give a criticism of this episode though. That freaking guy delaying the hit team by just running at them was just a huge waste of time. I suspect they ran out of budget time to make his sacrifice cooler, but boy did it make him not come off as heroic but just kind of a dumbass.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I can't help but think that the Flash Smashers might end up like the Injustice Society in Stargirl where their end goal is probably a good idea but they are going to kill a lot, and i mean a lot of people in the process and justify it as making the world better. And not just people responsible for the ills, but indiscriminately.

Walker's on their trail, or rather on Sam's trail of them, so they can't give him any reasons to actually be heroic.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Everyone posted:

I admit to kind of wondering how much of all this with Walker is how things shook out, how much is on his bosses/handlers and how much is Walker's deliberate action. I'm wondering if we're going to find out that his wife/girlfriend from the locker room is/was some kind of intelligence operative. Lke, did Walker cultivate relationships with her and "Battlestar" to better emulate Steve Rogers' connections with Peggy/Sharon Carter and Sam Fisher ("See, I have a spy girlfriend and a black bestie just like Steve did!"). Like, Walker doesn't want to take up the mantle of Captain America so much as fully inhabit it - the way Buffalo Bill wanted to make a "woman dress" in The Silence of the Lambs.

Taken that way, of course Walker wants to "team up" with Bucky and Sam. They're part of the "Captain America" package. Perhaps to his way of thinking, you're supposed to get the shield, the costume, the fame and the two earlier Captain America sidekicks.

I think I'd probably prefer him being halfway oblivious to it and is just so privileged that he doesn't get how everything is being handed to him. On the flip side, Walker manufacturing himself in every way to be the ideal American/soldier down to how he put his team together, who he is romantically involved with, etc could also be a compelling story. Either way, he already has such a good feel as exactly what Captain America wasn't while still appearing to be the perfect Captain America for publicity reasons.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

LionArcher posted:

She legit mind rapes someone (the bad guy) the last episode and it's kind of glossed over, but also seen as "fine". As for misogynistic, I suppose you're talking about my girl boss comment, but It's legit what i'm seeing on twitter. Wanda as a character is compelling (Olson is a fantastic actor and it's great she had the series to shine) and talking about grief is important. They just glossed over it with the ending and relied on the usual goodwill. This show on the other hand already is clearly addressing the larger elephants in the room it brings up, with nuance. New captain America is clearly both too much of a cop and not worthy of the role, while at the same time would be a classic white guy for obvious reasons that would "never be racist". Already there's a lot to chew there, and listening to the head writer talk about it on a podcast they're leaning into all of that.

I will give a criticism of this episode though. That freaking guy delaying the hit team by just running at them was just a huge waste of time. I suspect they ran out of budget time to make his sacrifice cooler, but boy did it make him not come off as heroic but just kind of a dumbass.

You can critically talk about media without resorting to really reductive comments like "It's also telling I'm seeing less conversation a tad more lukewarm to this from the usual white women MCU fans on twitter". Reducing all of the character of Wandavision and its handling of grief to "Girlboss feminism where mind rape is okay" versus "characters dealing with the consequences of their actions dealing with racism and if redemption is possible even when you're a superhero" when the show is about a bunch of dudes feels like pretty blatant sexism to me. There are people of all genders/nationalities/ethnicities on every side of the "how WandaVision hosed up its ending by justifying what she did."

There was a lot of good commentary in this very thread about the poor writing of the comments by Maria that downplayed/justified Wanda's actions. I genuinely don't think that's the tone or intention of most of the show and its unfortunate that someone didn't catch that it was a stupid loving line that would be perceived very poorly.

If the perceived sexism in your posts is not intentional, you should consider how your comments and bias comes across. But considering your post history/rap sheet, this appears to be a schtick for you straight down to talking about what white women say on twitter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everything about Walker pisses me off, he really has no right to that shield or the uniform. Someone called him a cop earlier in this thread and it’s spot-on.

Like that moment in the jeep where he just casually reveals they’ve hacked Redwing and they’ve been watching along the entire time. And that it’s kinda Sam’s fault because technically it’s US gov property. It’s such a dickbag comment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Everyone posted:

I know it won't happen, but I'd love for one of the ending scenes from episode six to be something like:

A Wakandan transport lands in the Wakandan city in front of Shuri and Bucky gets out

Shuri: Sergeant Barnes-

Bucky: Bucky.

Shuri: Bucky. You said you needed my help for an old friend.

Bucky: I did. It isn't quite what you dealt with for me, but-

Shuri: You have brought yet another white boy for me to fix?

Isaiah Bradley, looking around in suspicion and wonder, gets off the transport.

Bucky: Not exactly...

gently caress that is some hardcore fanservice but if a character ever deserved it...

The_Doctor posted:

Like that moment in the jeep where he just casually reveals they’ve hacked Redwing and they’ve been watching along the entire time. And that it’s kinda Sam’s fault because technically it’s US gov property. It’s such a dickbag comment.

Also when they get out of the station and Walker is literally flashing the sirens the same way they just were two scenes prior.

Man I was worried they'd go a little too full-tilt with Walker in terms of using trendy buzzwords but man, they have really gotten him down so far. Over/under on him taking one of the serums and going apeshit?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

LionArcher posted:

I read this as "the Flag Smashers are very strong but only have the barest idea what to do with their abilities"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

mind the walrus posted:

Over/under on him taking one of the serums and going apeshit?

Oh it’s absolutely happening. Guy got upstaged and beat by the Smashers in this episode, he’s going to either seek out or be given a serum dose to even the playing field and it’ll enhance his brutal sociopath side.