Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

You end up with a tiny 2060

Idk if people who are willing to game on a 970 are also willing to buy an entire PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

spunkshui posted:

You end up with a tiny 2060

Idk if people who are willing to game on a 970 are also willing to buy an entire PC.

That's what held me back the most. It's so small. I'm just going to pass for now and keep trying to hit stock drops. Thanks.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

So I'm starting a build to do 1440p gaming whenever video cards come back to a normal price.

Here's my problem: I live in Alaska and my options for a 5600x are to wait til June for Amazon to get them in stock at MSRP, get it somewhere else which puts me closer to 400 bucks with shipping, or buy it at the only place near me that has it in stock for $500 (lol). Amazon has the i7-10700kf for 300 which from my research seems comparable. Should I just pull the trigger on that or is the 5600x worth holding out for?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

rain dogs posted:

So I'm starting a build to do 1440p gaming whenever video cards come back to a normal price.

Here's my problem: I live in Alaska and my options for a 5600x are to wait til June for Amazon to get them in stock at MSRP, get it somewhere else which puts me closer to 400 bucks with shipping, or buy it at the only place near me that has it in stock for $500 (lol). Amazon has the i7-10700kf for 300 which from my research seems comparable. Should I just pull the trigger on that or is the 5600x worth holding out for?

Who cares, you dont have a gpu.

The CPU is not the problem.

Id get the GPU first imo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Especially if you’re looking at CPUs without integrated graphics.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I have my trusty old 470 which I will be pulling out of my old build to hold me over.

Let me rephrase the question. If earlier today I bought the 10700 should I cancel it before amazon processes the order and hold out for the 5600x?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

rain dogs posted:

I have my trusty old 470 which I will be pulling out of my old build to hold me over.

Let me rephrase the question. If earlier today I bought the 10700 should I cancel it before amazon processes the order and hold out for the 5600x?

That depends if you think you could manage trucking along with your current system for a few more months rather than upgrading it piecemeal. I would personally stick an order in for the Ryzen and just wait it out, given that you're going to be waiting for a new GPU until at least June anyway, unless your current work is very CPU bound and the new Intel CPU would improve things a decent amount for the next couple of months. I've realised I'm 5 hours too late for the discussion so you've probably made a decision one way or the other by now.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

rain dogs posted:

Isn't Best Buy an option? That's what I ended up doing, took me like 3 days of trying to hit add to cart to get one

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Over the last few months I've been buying parts for a new build as they have gone on sale. Now I'm down to the parts that are nearly impossible to get.

My time between new builds has consistently been seven years. So I don't mind buying a little more RAM or a better CPU.
Current build
i5-4690K on an ASRock motherboard with 16 gb of DDR and an EVGA 1070.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Mostly gaming, light 3d modeling for 3d printing, and also some video editing for the wife's Instagram.
Budget Don't really have one. Wife and I are planning to start a family so this is going to have to last me for at least seven years with maybe a GPU upgrade.

Parts I've already bought.
Case Phanteks P600S $145(on sale)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1MBZ1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32gb 3600 CL 16 $210 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083VN3CP1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SSD SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus 2TB $240(on sale) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFZXR1B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 GA $120(after mail in rebate) https://www.newegg.com/evga-superno...004V4-_-Product
Monitor Nixeus EDG 27 https://www.newegg.com/black-nixeus-nx-edg27-v2-27/p/3D4-000B-00003?Item=3D4-000B-00003

Parts I need.
Mother board Looking at the Asus B550-F WiFi https://www.microcenter.com/product/624592/asus-b550-f-rog-strix-gaming-(wifi)-amd-am4-atx-motherboard and the MSI MPG Gaming Carbon WiFi https://www.microcenter.com/product/625912/msi-b550-mpg-gaming-carbon-wifi-amd-am4-atx-motherboard
Is it better to get wifi built in or just buy an aftermarket card? Both boards have 2 NVMe slots, does it matter which one my SSD is plugged into? I plan to get a Gen 4 NVMe when prices become reasonable.
CPU I want a 5900x but the only thing available is the 5600x. I'm thinking of getting a 5600x for now and then a 5900x when stock become available.
GPU Just going to carryover my 1070 till I can get a 3070 or 3080.
CPU Cooler Can't decide between the Noctua D15 or the Noctua U12. I know the 12 is ok for the 5600x but how about the 5900x

Just making sure I'm not missing anything.

South fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 26, 2021

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

zeldadude posted:

Isn't Best Buy an option? That's what I ended up doing, took me like 3 days of trying to hit add to cart to get one

Nope, just shows me a gray unavailable button.

Looks like I'm just gonna wait. This 2500k has lasted me 9 years, couple more months wont kill me.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm looking at cases and man, there sure are a lot. What are the goto good cases nowadays?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ramadu posted:

I'm looking at cases and man, there sure are a lot. What are the goto good cases nowadays?

Gamers Nexus has some good videos featuring the best cases of 2020 and the best cases of 2021.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
A few things to keep in mind when looking for a case:
Will it fit your CPU cooler (mostly applies to aftermarket ones)
Will it fit your GPU?
Will it hold the number of hard drives you're going to use (this more applies to data hoarders using 3.5" drives like me)
Does the front panel have the ports/connections you want (do you want a front panel with UBS 3.2, stuff like that)

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 26, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

Depends, but probably just get a fractal design meshify c

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

tuyop posted:

Depends, but probably just get a fractal design meshify c

I had a FD r2 or r3 and it was rad and looked at the define 7 but its like 190 dollars???

Kragger99 posted:

A few things to keep in mind when looking for a case:
Will it fit your CPU cooler (mostly applies to aftermarket ones)
Will it fit your GPU?
Will it hold the number of hard drives you're going to use (this more applies to data hoarders using 3.5" drives like me)
Does the front panel have the ports/connections you want (do you want a front panel with UBS 3.2, stuff like that)

I have a 1080ti and a 2080ti that I can throw in to my case. CPU cooler is going to probably be a aio water cooler like the corsair h-100x. hard drives will be nvme + 1 or 2 wd blue mechanicals I think. hoping to get probably a usb-c + 1-3 usb ports with the new stuff

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPzd7T

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($484.00 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($226.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1050.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-26 16:07 EDT-0400

currently have this stuff (its an upgrade for me and I was able to get it very cheap(like i paid 250 for it all)) plus a 1080ti and a 2080ti.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 26, 2021

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I've only ever had experience with ATX mobo's/cases, but this thread should be able to provide good suggestions for a case that meets your needs.
Q. Are you installing both GPU's into that itx mobo?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kragger99 posted:

I've only ever had experience with ATX mobo's/cases, but this thread should be able to provide good suggestions for a case that meets your needs.
Q. Are you installing both GPU's into that itx mobo?

no, just one. im basically letting a friend use whichever one i dont end up using. In my current case I have the 1080 because i am lazy and didnt want to redo my garbage cable job and the 2080 was too long. i should say i'm not looking at getting a tiny case either, i assume this mobo can fit in a normal case. i am very much not a power gamer. i will use this computer for bloons td 6. lots of bloons

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 26, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I personally like the Pure Base 500 DX. Especially since it comes with 3x140mm Be Quiet fans for $100 and it has the front usb c port. But an ITX mobo is going to look goofy in the cavernous space if you care about that.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Is there a site that will let you estimate the wattage of a power supply + safety margin a given build will need? I have a pre-built on the way (16Gb RAM 650W non-modular PS) that I’m also doing fine (barely) to buy 16gigs more RAM and $300 left over to get a “better” PS if needed. I hope to not need it, but want to go ahead and fix it up before I stick the tower behind the monitors and forget about it.

Also, is there anything that could damage physical components from being underpowered? I know you can damage parts from a surge in power, but is anything gonna happen and need to add a “stronger” PS?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Ramadu posted:

i am very much not a power gamer. i will use this computer for bloons td 6. lots of bloons

What else do you do with your computer that you are looking at a 3900x and 32GB of RAM along with water cooling? (along with an x570 board too)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is there a site that will let you estimate the wattage of a power supply + safety margin a given build will need? I have a pre-built on the way (16Gb RAM 650W non-modular PS) that I’m also doing fine (barely) to buy 16gigs more RAM and $300 left over to get a “better” PS if needed. I hope to not need it, but want to go ahead and fix it up before I stick the tower behind the monitors and forget about it.

Also, is there anything that could damage physical components from being underpowered? I know you can damage parts from a surge in power, but is anything gonna happen and need to add a “stronger” PS?

Plug all your bits into PC Part Picker and it'll spit out a wattage number. Add on 100-200w as a buffer and go with that. 650W will be just fine for most things right now though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

njsykora posted:

Plug all your bits into PC Part Picker and it'll spit out a wattage number. Add on 100-200w as a buffer and go with that. 650W will be just fine for most things right now though.

Thanks! I haven’t built a gaming rig since 2015 and was unaware of PCPP having that functionality built in (been looking at prebuilts for a couple of months now just because of gpu/cpu shortages and although I really enjoy building PCs I just couldn’t find parts I wanted. I already matched the RAM and it’ll be here before the computer will. Nice not having to buy a newer PS, too!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What else do you do with your computer that you are looking at a 3900x and 32GB of RAM along with water cooling? (along with an x570 board too)

i was looking at a 3600 and 16gb of ram but got offered these parts from a buddy for a price that couldnt be beat so i went with it. mostly mmos and map gaming and watching videos and stuff.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
All of that is WAY overkill for anything you are doing, so just make sure you actually are getting a price that can't be beaten.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thom P. Tiers posted:

All of that is WAY overkill for anything you are doing, so just make sure you actually are getting a price that can't be beaten.

i literally paid 250 dollars for the parts i listed in the pcpart picker list. they are in my possession.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Ramadu posted:

i literally paid 250 dollars for the parts i listed in the pcpart picker list. they are in my possession.

That is indeed an absolutely insane deal. Pre-owned 3900x's are literally going for about $400 in the used market. You have a nice friend!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Thom P. Tiers posted:

That’s why I paid MSRP for an evga 970 when I heard the 10xx series would be out soon. It was a good value because I’m still using it in 2021. I have been avoiding most of the newer games that I cannot meet min specs for, and was perfectly happy paying for a 2070/2080ti to last me a few years and getting games I missed, even with the 30xx’s surprising me. Now that 20xx are so overpriced, though, I’ve just been willing to pay a tiny bit more for a better gen that will last at max settings longer. I bought a prebuilt from a company I trust with a 3060ti inside cheaper than the scalper prices for just the card. I got an email at 2:00am a couple of nights ago and had it up and checked out within four minutes. Little bit extra RAM from Amazon (already have 20Gb on my system now, didn’t want to downgrade even if 32Gb is overkill for anything today).

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Mu Zeta posted:

But an ITX mobo is going to look goofy in the cavernous space if you care about that.

counterpoint

denereal visease posted:

ITX boards in mid/fullsize cases is cool aesthetic, especially when the CPU cooler is almost as large as the motherboard...

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thom P. Tiers posted:

That is indeed an absolutely insane deal. Pre-owned 3900x's are literally going for about $400 in the used market. You have a nice friend!

Yeah he got them a month before the new AMD stuff came out and he has more money than he cares about and promptly upgraded all of it to the new stuff so it barely has any use on it too. A good deal indeed! I just need a cooler, a case, and a hard drive though to make it all work. I should also say he gave me free of charge the 1080 and 2080 when he upgraded each generation too lol. But yeah that's why I'm here looking for a good case because the market is bewildering.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 26, 2021

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

DerekSmartymans posted:

That’s why I paid MSRP for an evga 970 when I heard the 10xx series would be out soon. It was a good value because I’m still using it in 2021. I have been avoiding most of the newer games that I cannot meet min specs for, and was perfectly happy paying for a 2070/2080ti to last me a few years and getting games I missed, even with the 30xx’s surprising me. Now that 20xx are so overpriced, though, I’ve just been willing to pay a tiny bit more for a better gen that will last at max settings longer. I bought a prebuilt from a company I trust with a 3060ti inside cheaper than the scalper prices for just the card. I got an email at 2:00am a couple of nights ago and had it up and checked out within four minutes. Little bit extra RAM from Amazon (already have 20Gb on my system now, didn’t want to downgrade even if 32Gb is overkill for anything today).

This doesn't really have anything to do with what I was telling Ramadu as the computer was going to be used to play bloons. I wanted to make sure they weren't actually buying a 3900x and 32GB of RAM with an x570 to play bloons. (turns out, Ramadu got an absolute steal!)

What you are doing is perfectly fine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

If you bought a pre-built, it's likely the PSU is "just exactly enough to power what's in it."

That being said, Ram will not add enough overhead to matter here.

Also why spend that money on ram? Unless you have a specific need 16gb is probably more than fine, and ram is one of the few components that straight won't matter what comes in the prebuilt.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This doesn't really have anything to do with what I was telling Ramadu as the computer was going to be used to play bloons. I wanted to make sure they weren't actually buying a 3900x and 32GB of RAM with an x570 to play bloons. (turns out, Ramadu got an absolute steal!)

I had to look up “Bloons” on Google. I thought the autocorrect tossed out “balloons” and he didn’t notice! :aaa: You kids with your Flappy Birds and your Elderly Scrolls!

Edit: Pilfered Pallbearers posted:
If you bought a pre-built, it's likely the PSU is "just exactly enough to power what's in it."

That being said, Ram will not add enough overhead to matter here.

Also why spend that money on ram? Unless you have a specific need 16gb is probably more than fine, and ram is one of the few components that straight won't matter what comes in the prebuilt.

For the simple fact that although I won’t “need” it right now, I bought enough books and ebooks from Amazing last year that I had enough money in gift cards and rewards to exactly match the RAM in my computer and while 16Gb is plenty with the state/specs of games right now, who knows what will be required for games/software five years from now? And I can’t really spend it anywhere else. So that left enough USD to buy a better, more modular PS if I find my new included PS is underpowered. At the local family-owned computer store in Collierville. I could save the gift card balance, sure. But the memory was a cheap, exact match down to color of my computer’s, and available by Monday. I’m not young enough to believe “free money,” but it is basically company script.

Plus, I have 20Gb in my soon-to-be old desktop, and what kind of Goon would I be if my new system had less? 😜I already live in my parents’ attic! Besides, if it’s taken months to source parts now, who knows what will be available in several years? I could have had a new system in January, but I am not going to pay 4x the cost of the entire rest of the build for a graphics upgrade.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 27, 2021

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I wont lie, i was bein a little silly cause I do play other games but we play a lot of multiplayer bloons on discord and it uh, has provided far far more fun and entertainment than you'd expect.

bloons is real good

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ramadu posted:

I wont lie, i was bein a little silly cause I do play other games but we play a lot of multiplayer bloons on discord and it uh, has provided far far more fun and entertainment than you'd expect.

bloons is real good

It looks neat!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
RAM is the one thing I consistently tell people is worth overshooting on, if only because the price can go apeshit and it’s better to have too much now and enough later than enough now and have to pay double per gig later. Plus it gives you wiggle room if something is programmed terribly and is a memory hog for no reason.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Helping a buddy with a CyberPowerPC build and he's going with the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7GHz 12C/24T 105W processor option. I don't know much about AMD, so I have two questions:
1). Is the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 beefy enough for this? The other option is an "ENERMAX ETS-T50A" and I've never heard of it before. I assume either are probably "fine" but figured I'd ask.
2). The big question: How important is difference between the B550 and the X570 chipset? It looks like there are options for both, and I can't tell which is "better" by price, oddly enough.

Edit: RAM question now: Options are 3000MHz, 3200MHz, 3600MHz, and 4000MHz. I thought I read something about Ryzens not liking super-fast RAM, so would it be silly to go for anything over 3000?

Edit2: PSU question now: I personally like EVGA stuff, but I feel like I have to ask the thread every time what the "good" EVGA PSUs are. Is the EVGA SuperNOVA GT 750W one of the good ones?

Zarin fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 27, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Zarin posted:

Helping a buddy with a CyberPowerPC build and he's going with the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7GHz 12C/24T 105W processor option. I don't know much about AMD, so I have two questions:
1). Is the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 beefy enough for this?
gently caress no, not by a drat sight

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The Enermax ETS-50A isn't much better but it has more heat pipes and more fin area, so it should be the better of the two, if you only have 2 selections for cooling.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

denereal visease posted:

gently caress no, not by a drat sight

Haha, appreciated!

orange juche posted:

The Enermax ETS-50A isn't much better but it has more heat pipes and more fin area, so it should be the better of the two, if you only have 2 selections for cooling.

Those are the top two options for air cooling. Is this a case where if those are the only options, that I should be considering liquid cooling then? I advised against it just because this is his first build and liquid can be more hassle than air over the lifetime of the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anything that comes with a prebuilt is going to be an all in one and I can’t see it being that significant of a hassle.