Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Failed Imagineer posted:

Who knew the Sex Arse industry was so sensitive to Just In Time delivery?

It's vital to know what's coming where and when in that industry.

Rarity posted:

Wait what are they trying to reform? We already Brexited :psyduck:

I assume they're waiting for the moment to call to bring back hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

spiderbot posted:

On phonechat, has anyone got experience with the fairphone? I like the idea of something that's designed to be user upgradable/ fixable, but I'm not sure how well that actually works in practice and it's a bit pricey to take a gamble on.

My wife had a FP2. It had a lot of issues which were hard to resolve. They are now on the FP3, which makes the claim of modularity to allow for upgrading somewhat hollow: if the idea is for the phone to be upgradable then why launch a new model (without as far as I know selling upgraded components for the prior models)? It’s a good idea but badly executed. I also think that for the price they are under-specced.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think the new sex arsier Suez crisis is screaming at me to start my own uk based sex arse business. IF not now then when?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think the new sex arsier Suez crisis is screaming at me to start my own uk based sex arse business. IF not now then when?

Those arses won't sex themselves!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah REF is the new name of the BREXIT Party.

Not to be confused with the #REF party, who are just very bad at Excel

also I got a fairphone 3+ a couple of weeks back in a desperate attempt to make the world slightly less bad through purchasing decisions. it works as a phone. it is a bit big. if you have recently started wearing women's trousers like myself then you will maybe have some issues fitting it into a pocket. i haven't used it for a whole lot yet though. this is not a helpful review.

e: being under-specced for the price is kinda the point though, you're going to pay more for it on account of (supposedly) more ethical working conditions/materials etc.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Angepain posted:

Not to be confused with the #REF party, who are just very bad at Excel

also I got a fairphone 3+ a couple of weeks back in a desperate attempt to make the world slightly less bad through purchasing decisions. it works as a phone. it is a bit big. if you have recently started wearing women's trousers like myself then you will maybe have some issues fitting it into a pocket. i haven't used it for a whole lot yet though. this is not a helpful review.

e: being under-specced for the price is kinda the point though, you're going to pay more for it on account of (supposedly) more ethical working conditions/materials etc.

I agree with the pricing point. The true cost of goods and labour should be built into product pricing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the other hand no way in hell could I afford 400 euros on a loving phone, christ.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

your phone is one of your most important things

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

On the other hand no way in hell could I afford 400 euros on a loving phone, christ.

There's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism; buy what you can afford. Having the privilege of choosing to avoid exploitative products isn't universal and you shouldn't feel morally culpable for an unjust system stopping you from doing so.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Bristol:

https://twitter.com/thepileus/status/1375579100186873862?s=20

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

with longer software updates it should in theory last longer than other phones of its specs, leading to a kind of Vimes' Boots Theory for ethical purchasing which is a good chunk of the problem with relying on every individual making good purchasing decisions to solve the world in the first place

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In my case I buy blackberries and they never release new loving models so I'm not worried about having to get a new one every year.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

just lol if new phone purchases arent required cos you got drunk and fell of a whatever and smashed the last one

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yeah they used dogs on protesters on one road and horses on the other. Seen at least one arrest with batons used (on stream). Completely peaceful apart from half dozen eggs until the cops started having a go at the protesters.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

just lol if new phone purchases arent required cos you got drunk and fell of a whatever and smashed the last one

I've had exactly one phone break on me and it was a second-hand model I lent a friend to call his house and he dropped it while handing it back. I have never broken a phone or cracked a screen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

namesake posted:

Yeah they used dogs on protesters on one road and horses on the other. Seen at least one arrest with batons used (on stream). Completely peaceful apart from half dozen eggs until the cops started having a go at the protesters.

If any clips come up please can you share? So far all I've seen is stuff that's a bit scary but didn't cause any actual harm. Nothing even comparing to Tuesday yet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah REF is the new name of the BREXIT Party.
Or the SEXARSE party.

therattle posted:

I agree with the pricing point. The true cost of goods and labour should be built into product pricing.
I was thinking earlier about your post about drop in battery packs for EVs, and I think a lot of the good or bad of things like that (in terms of cost pricing, but also end user safety, certification, etc.) will depend on where the new right to repair rules go.

It's one of those things that on one hand I ought to personally support from a tinkering basis and for supporting smaller repair outfits, will probably be good in the long run if it means an actually enforced end to planned obsolescence, but also may end up increasing initial prices without any way of helping people who would most benefit from them to afford them, and with the current government might end up as a play to the "I remember when you could repair all your stuff" rural Tory crowd without any control for "in your day there weren't microwave ovens that needed a 2100V capacitor changing on them."

OwlFancier posted:

If the true cost of goods and labour were built into everything (including wages) then you could :marxheadtap:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
How come there is no Sexarse Fudge yet?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's a waste of semen.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Rarity posted:

If any clips come up please can you share? So far all I've seen is stuff that's a bit scary but didn't cause any actual harm. Nothing even comparing to Tuesday yet

Subject Access and TyrantFinder on Youtube, don't know the timestamp but SubjectAccess was up on an embankment and right by the arrest when they stuck him. About half an hour ago now. Hopefully there's less injuries than Tuesday, there was a lot of edge of the shield action at the start.

namesake fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 27, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Rarity posted:

Wait what are they trying to reform? We already Brexited :psyduck:
They're currently an anti-lockdown party. Until that ceases to be relevant, at which point they'll be a single issue whichever-far-right-talking-point-keeps-the-Farage-grift-going party.

Great to see you posting btw, hope you're doing well :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

There's no such thing as ethical consumption under capitalism; buy what you can afford. Having the privilege of choosing to avoid exploitative products isn't universal and you shouldn't feel morally culpable for an unjust system stopping you from doing so.

I was more interested in the repairability tbh but I would hope some of the basic chinese phones will be semi-repairable.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

your phone is one of your most important things

There's a scene in The Expanse where some ship/station is receiving a bunch of refugees who's home has just been blown up. They've lost everything and are all in a bad state. So the crew are handing out, in order, bottles of water, blankets, smartphones.

The smartphone in expanse is so utterly critical to even existing in that world its on the same line as water and shelter. Struct me as amazingly prescient, and slightly horrifying?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

They're currently an anti-lockdown party. Until that ceases to be relevant, at which point they'll be a single issue whichever-far-right-talking-point-keeps-the-Farage-grift-going party.
They're going to end up aligning with the Alex Salmond terfash venture aren't they :(

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
he was on channel 4 calling it alba alaba, it was a bit odd

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

They're going to end up aligning with the Alex Salmond terfash venture aren't they :(

Nah they'd never permit Scottish independence, that's bang out of line with their English fash demographic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Borrovan posted:

Great to see you posting btw, hope you're doing well :)

Thanks, I'm doing good. I'm not in UKMT much these days cause I stay away from politics unless things really kick off but I'm doing good

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

IllusionistTrixie posted:

There's a scene in The Expanse where some ship/station is receiving a bunch of refugees who's home has just been blown up. They've lost everything and are all in a bad state. So the crew are handing out, in order, bottles of water, blankets, smartphones.

The smartphone in expanse is so utterly critical to even existing in that world its on the same line as water and shelter. Struct me as amazingly prescient, and slightly horrifying?

Smart phones have been important in Africa for at least a decade. Building the infrastructure for mobile phones is much cheaper and quicker than that for landlines and wire-based internet (can't think of the technical term just now!).
Also, they have been a lot more advanced in sending money via mobile phones than over here. A decade ago you could transfer credit or part of your data allowance to other phones and at least 8 years since you could transfer funds by mobile phone.
In Egypt they also have this great service where if you are going to be away from home for a week or so, you can suspend your internet service (and paying for it!) for the duration!

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

learnincurve posted:

Cheapest one of those is £17 a month on Vodafone for 5gb of data - My contract is up July and I’ve been a lookin’
Three do better deals than that. I'm on an unlimited 5G contract and pay £16 a month. It is 'genuinely unlimited' with no fair use policy or throttling etc and unlimited tethering is also allowed (also with no fair use policy).

I am moving back to London later this year (well hopefully will be... I'm on week 2 of the long painful road of buying a flat) and fully intend to hotspot off my phone and not bother paying for any broadband.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My current phone has a cracked screen from when I dropped it as I was putting it into its protective case. That was the first time I'd ever damaged a mobile screen, normally me and gravity team up to shatter laptop screens.

Completely unrelated to that, two separate comments at work about staff vaccines and public-facing services, and now I'm getting wound up over hypothetical arguments.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Nah they'd never permit Scottish independence, that's bang out of line with their English fash demographic.
I'm not sure on that, there's enough of the "we send them £500 trillion pounds a minute to spend on heroin for trainspotting remakes its foregn aid Henry, it's not right" dipshits in the English fash demographic that there could be enough impetus to pull them into the even-worst type of union.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I was more interested in the repairability tbh but I would hope some of the basic chinese phones will be semi-repairable.

Oh you mean the way the fairphone is modular so you can ship of Theseus it as it breaks?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lady Demelza posted:

My current phone has a cracked screen from when I dropped it as I was putting it into its protective case. That was the first time I'd ever damaged a mobile screen, normally me and gravity team up to shatter laptop screens.

Completely unrelated to that, there were two separate comments at work about staff vaccines and public-facing services, and now I'm getting wound up over hypothetical arguments.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ouuuh

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure on that, there's enough of the "we send them £500 trillion pounds a minute to spend on heroin for trainspotting remakes its foregn aid Henry, it's not right" dipshits in the English fash demographic that there could be enough impetus to pull them into the even-worst type of union.

Yeah but that group just want to stop Scotland from having any money, not not be part of the UK any more.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, there's a not-insignificant portion of the English electorate that really wishes Scotland would just piss off, stop whining and cease being a Caledonian ball and chain weighing down glorious Albion. And these are exactly the sort of people who were really for Brexit, really against lockdowns, really against BLM and so on. Basically the entire constituency for Farage's grift vehicles. And it's a a sentiment which might well increase when Brexit fails to deliver us to the sunlit uplands they were promised...it's got to be someone else's fault, why not the idle, scrounging Scots who Never Even Believed In Brexit?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lol

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

crispix posted:

he was on channel 4 calling it alba alaba, it was a bit odd

ah, did someone show him this very useful pronunciation guide (posted an hour before the launch, by coincidence)

https://twitter.com/caldamac/status/1375431495536541696

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

scotland would be more successful as a theme park than a country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
From past experience, there's definitely a gammon contingent who hate Scotland and its people and everything to do with it except whiskey, but they would boil their own piss with rage if it became independent because all the oil and fish up there really belongs to us Eng-er-lish and those Jock bastards do wot we tell 'em! (imagine a sweaty pale pink bald version of :bahgawd:)