Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I had fun with magic with the learner deck I got from wal mart but the even the prebuilt commander deck I also got from wal mart introduced layers of complexity that seemed to be beyond me. Once you get into playing cards that make 5 other things happen at once my brain hurts and I'm ready to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

He should have been playing Redemption, the attempt to make a Christian based Magic: The Gathering. I was once invited by a coworker to come play this game at their church because they knew I played MTG, I went and made a deck out of the spare cards they had and then beat them all very quite badly and they never invited me back again, so truly I was the winner.
This is super cool, and still being published. Kinda wanna get a few decks

Edit: The best thing I can say about Modern Magic is that it's at least still comprehensible to someone who was playing back in the day. I take one look at a modern Yu gi Oh card, and have zero clue what's going on

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 26, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kerrzhe posted:

im having fun in MHR!!

also a very cool thing in the character creator is you can have super bright glowing tattoos which i think are super sick and more games should have them

Oh poo poo you can have makeup and facepaint at the same time? goddamn the series really has advanced

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still extremely mad about a collectable figurine game called 'mage knight' or something where as your creatures took damage, you rotated a thing in the base and their stats went up and down. I was playing in a tournament and I was 100% going to win the first match I played, but only if the match finished or got near the end. I honestly can't remember the details but it was probably due to my stuff being better than his stuff. But the time limit for the match was extremely short, and my opponent could probably tell what was up, so he made every turn take about 5 minutes. My turns would be done in about 3 seconds and his turns would be him going 'hmmmmmmm' and not doing anything while I loudly told him to 'just play', lol. In the end he won.

edit: reminds me of (also more or less the only time I played) necromunda, a friend said he had to get to the class starting in 10 minutes. So I did my turns nice and fast so he could get to class. All of his turns were careful measurements (or however you play, IDC), lots of thinking, and he was better than me and destroyed me about 30-40 minutes later, because he was never intending on going to class and was never going to just attack/play quickly. In that case I admit I was wrong and bad.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 26, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

victrix posted:

Planeswalkers killed the game stone cold for me

I played it competitively in the dark ages, met Garfield at a tourney, that's my exciting story thanks for reading

My favorite set in the contemporary game has been the "oops all planeswalkers" set, I think they're fun

But then again I also played exclusively on MTG Arena, which is probably still exploitatively monetized but I was able to play with more cards than in other forms of the game

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
As someone who stopped playing when cards had white borders on them I have never been able to understand the functional difference between a planeswalkers and an artifact.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The manga about teenagers playing Magic in Japan in the 90s is actually really good.

https://fascans.com/series/mtg/

Also there's romance, I guess.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When love enters the battlefield, destroy all other permanents...

But can they be regenerated...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

When love enters the battlefield, destroy all other permanents...

But can they be regenerated...

*David Hayter voice* Double Strike?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SeXReX posted:

As someone who stopped playing when cards had white borders on them I have never been able to understand the functional difference between a planeswalkers and an artifact.

Planeswalkers can be targeted with direct damage or creatures to make them go away, and their abilities can only be activated any time you could cast a sorcery

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I remember the star wars ccg being fun to play

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Planeswalkers: easy to understand

https://twitter.com/karsten_frank/status/1375578721306939400

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SeXReX posted:

The difference is planeswalkers are massively OP

Planeswalkers have their own hp pool which does not reset each turn and which you spend to do OP actions, although not too different from an artifact that has similar counters/tokens.

The thing I don't like is how you target Planeswalkers seperate with your creature attacks. You can't declare an attack against an artifact, even if it was a creature artifact.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

this is every (playable) card in shadowverse

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
"Emblems" are weird and lame too

Back in my day all we had were Enchantments

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

What’s the lore behind the gender-flipping planeswalker? Is it good lore?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Those are siblings they just always show up together

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

wuggles posted:

What’s the lore behind the gender-flipping planeswalker? Is it good lore?

They're twins that share a single "spark" so you can swap summon them :shrug:

There is a NB planeswalker though

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

They’re cool at least.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also Ashiok

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I remember the star wars ccg being fun to play
it was fun if you had a good deck but an expensive pain in the rear end to get there. lots of cards that are worthless unless you play another specific card on them to give them a pilot and a gun or whatever. really benefited these days by the ability to just play whatever weird card game you want with complete access to all the cards

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

homeless snail posted:

it was fun if you had a good deck but an expensive pain in the rear end to get there. lots of cards that are worthless unless you play another specific card on them to give them a pilot and a gun or whatever. really benefited these days by the ability to just play whatever weird card game you want with complete access to all the cards

I feel like a lot of card games end up falling into this trap. I know like YuGiOh is full of archetypes that are weirdly insular, like there's an archetype based all around Skull Servant. Not like, skeleton or dark monsters, but specifically the card Skull Servant. To the point where other cards will have text along the lines of "This card's name is treated as Skull Servant when in your hand/battlefield/graveyard". It's wild and forces you to make super specific decks. Like, you've got creature types for a reason, but you're not using them at all?

And also it honestly limits creativity. MTG tends to create archetypes that feed into each other but don't require that you run cards in that archetype. They tend to be broad enough that you can often find alternate uses for them outside the obvious ones.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

star wars kinda has an excuse because it was almost a narrative game, like a lot of combos in that game are just you trying to recreate scenes from the movies and tell stories. getting specific characters at the specific locations they want to be in, with the specific equipment they're good at using. except your opponent is trying to tell a different story that you need to at least try to participate in, so it might be like one player is trying to do the battle of hoth and scores by fighting really well, and the other player is trying to throw a party at jabbas palace that is so good the other side loses the will to fight

like, the base set has owen and beru cards, that really are only good for getting killed which buffs luke. thats a legitimate strategy, trying to contrive a scenario to give luke a narrative arc

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its just, you need a million specific cards to make that actually work, and if you just fill your deck with Whatever you're going to get stomped by someone that has a deck with any kind of throughline

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah that sounds like a fun concept, but also a concept that's really difficult to translate to actual gameplay without it being extremely clunky

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
How many Dash Rendars can I have in my deck

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is that set of twin planeswalkers a single card that you flip over or something? Or do you have to walk around with an extra decoy card that actually has a back

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

CubeTheory posted:

Just lol if you don't run a full playset of Edge Maverick

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

as many as you want, but only one dash at a time

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think DQ11 might have the absolute best crafting in any game, by far

Like for reals

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LOL, so it feels particularly apt (or awkward?) doing the endgame of Persona 5 Strikers at the start of Passover...

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

this is every (playable) card in shadowverse

I haven't played Shadowverse in awhile but seems accurate.

Yu gi oh has them both beat from what I've heard.

Zaphod42 posted:

They're twins that share a single "spark" so you can swap summon them :shrug:

How do flip cards work anyways, wouldn't you see them ahead of time in your draw pile or am I just dumb and you swap them not actually flip?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In play you're supposed to put all your cards in sleeves or use a "checklist card" with a back that you swap in for the real card when you cast it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you if you came and watched me stumble and succeed through some more Dark Souls 2. I had a super wicked time and made so much progress I almost cannot believe it. From shrine of Amana to the point where I am apparently to defeat the final boss. However we are not doing that but going to attempt the dlc from this point on :)

I got invaded a bunch and one invader used a lag cheat to make every hit not regsister unless they were doing the hitting but luckily I died next to a bonfire.

I went into the memories of a tree. I beat a tough old knight. A baffling frog. I finished a sub quest of an npc I very nearly aggroed on my first meeting. I acesticed a bonfire to make sure I could do that quest as well. I visited the London museum and was attacked by the main exhibit.

It was a wonderful adventure and I enjoy it more thanks to your company :3:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I heard Will Power for the second time... Persona 5 Strikers owns so much, easy GOTY contender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNXe3QSLfM

Also the double whammy, any time the Regret theme comes on I know I'm gonna tear up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGFZHBK2lTs

Not a spoiler because if you are surprised that you fight God then lol

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

running into the darkness
fangs snapping at your heels

when at last you stop to rest
a quick look around reveals

you walked straight into a nest
littered with previous meals

don't stop, don't linger
don't sleep in this den

for the beast will find you
and you'll never wake again

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

The way those two sided magic cards work is you get to decide which side you want to play when you play it. You want the red lady, play it as the red lady, want the blue guy, play it as the blue guy.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Darkoni posted:

The way those two sided magic cards work is you get to decide which side you want to play when you play it. You want the red lady, play it as the red lady, want the blue guy, play it as the blue guy.

Except for the ones that don't work like that and transform instead, also sleeves are required in tournaments so you have to unsleeve and resleeve, I hope you remembered to reset your cards between games in case you want to actually read the side that you can play without giving away what card is in your hand.

Magic got real messy

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Cheetah has passed the bingo torch onto me, so please prepare your posting credentials for next month. I will be adding more squares so that there's more variety to the cards - feel free to offer suggestions!

As former Bingo Queen, I will not be participating in the competition myself. I will allow you all the chance to compete without my glorious presence overshadowing everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Kerrzhe posted:

running into the darkness
fangs snapping at your heels

when at last you stop to rest
a quick look around reveals

you walked straight into a nest
littered with previous meals