Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Bootleg Trunks posted:

*tugs at boat* I get no respect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm just glad I'll never gently caress up anything as badly as that captain hosed up.

OK I am kinda jealous of how much damage he accomplished.

I'm a lot jealous. The most damage I ever did at work was $80k, which is a high score a lot of the time depending on the company you keep, and he's doing 150% of that every second. What a legend.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

when the gently caress are they going to send in SEA PATROL, this is basically their profession right here

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I got to swing something worth 200k against a stop sign pole like I was hitting a baseball til parts we needed right away came flying out and I thought that was impressive. This captain 100% wins at cost of things destroyed at work game.

Edit:autocorrect fail

Source4Leko has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Mar 26, 2021

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Good Citizen posted:

you gotta be careful when attempting a full day tugging sesh

especially when sand is involved. it can cause a lot of damage!

peepeepants has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Mar 26, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Source4Leko posted:

I got to swing someone worth 200k against a stop sign pole like I was hitting a baseball til parts we needed right away came flying out and I thought that was impressive. This captain 100% wins at cost of things destroyed at work game.

i think you meant to say something and not someone? at least i hope so

then again respect for bashing the cylon rich

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Source4Leko posted:

I got to swing someone worth 200k against a stop sign pole like I was hitting a baseball til parts we needed right away came flying out and I thought that was impressive. This captain 100% wins at cost of things destroyed at work game.

I think that crown still goes to the engineers that wasted the 200 million dollar Mars Climate Orbiter by failing to convert imperial units to metric.

Unless destroying global shipping counts.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zisky posted:

I think that crown still goes to the engineers that wasted the 200 million dollar Mars Climate Orbiter by failing to convert imperial units to metric.

Unless destroying global shipping counts.

A whole team had to contribute to that fuckup and there were meetings and poo poo that should have covered it. This is an in the field as things are going fuckup. I see your point but I think they fall into different categories of fuckup.

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

Previous workplace damage high score I can remember was https://youtu.be/zri1PFQOijw

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
this one is so funny because there was no explosion and no deaths. It's just a ship stuck, and it could wreck global commerce lol

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

boats should not attempt multi track drifting

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

maybe if the world agrees to tug at the same time it'll be enough

tugs across the world

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

maybe if we can melt the rest of the ice caps real quick we can raise the sea level enough to save the hedge funds

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Victory Position posted:

when the gently caress are they going to send in SEA PATROL, this is basically their profession right here

I think the issue is that they have to FORCE the boat through a tight SPACE

oh my god wait a minute

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

worst ever at ping-pong posted:

Previous workplace damage high score I can remember was https://youtu.be/zri1PFQOijw

What's the dollar value? The comments say $25k to a few million which isn't very telling.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Nazis had a special submarine toilet that required a trained operator to flush. One captain tried to flush it by himself and pulled the wrong lever, which caused his U-boat to sink.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

That 9/11 comic of the Empire State Building except it’s a trans Asia rail car looking at the boat and saying “well well well...”

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

the army corps of engineers designed the levees they built around New Orleans to withstand a direct hit from a category 3 (out of 5) hurricane

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Antonymous posted:

That 9/11 comic of the Empire State Building except it’s a trans Asia rail car looking at the boat and saying “well well well...”

The chad Yuxinou railway vs the virgin container ship

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Belt and road looking like a suspiciously good alternative :thunk:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just wouldn't get a boat stuck

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

please explain what I'm looking at here

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

shyduck posted:

I just wouldn't get a boat stuck

I'm just built different (ie less than 200,000 tons).

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

DarkEuphoria posted:

boats should not attempt multi track drifting

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
One time at work I for some reason tried to "pick the lock" with a paper clip. I broke the paper clip in the lock. They had to have someone cut the lock out...

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

lol thank you for the visual

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i guess the coolest thing i learned when reading about the Suez canal because of this is that during the Crisis way back when there were boats stuck in the canal from 1967 to 1975. lots to learn.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Boat stuck in Suez
Trade in crisis across globe
Nothing matters bro

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

indigi posted:

please explain what I'm looking at here

You're looking at a high velocity ejection of a batch of wafers (things like cpus, are designed on those wafers) made from the lithography semiconductor process. Without even knowing what those chips were, that was a very (00,000,0000s) costly critical failure on its face.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

uber_stoat posted:

i guess the coolest thing i learned when reading about the Suez canal because of this is that during the Crisis way back when there were boats stuck in the canal from 1967 to 1975. lots to learn.

what, that's insane. what happened to the crews and stuff

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

oxsnard posted:

this one is so funny because there was no explosion and no deaths. It's just a ship stuck, and it could wreck global commerce lol

also that the world's greatest minds can't figure out how to solve the brain-cruncher known as "ship stuck"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

indigi posted:

what, that's insane. what happened to the crews and stuff

i think they pulled out everyone not absolutely required for maintenance of the ships and then shipped in supplies to the poor bastards who stayed on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Fleet

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Yinlock posted:

also that the world's greatest minds can't figure out how to solve the brain-cruncher known as "ship stuck"

I mean yeah but also it goes to show that the fundamentals of civil engineering are unchanged in over 100 years. You're fighting gravity and all your fancy models and software and devices can't do much about that

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

oxsnard posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Costa Concordia was a really funny story since the disaster could have been prevented by horny is prohibited.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
was that the one where the drunk italian captain just peaced out after the boat started sinking?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Yeah, he said he fell off the ship into a lifeboat.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

oxsnard posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Zisky posted:

Yeah, he said he fell off the ship into a lifeboat.

The maritime version of "she landed on my dick"