Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mmm that's some good grog in the comments. We get a "had metoo gone too far magnum opus, and a "I only backed this for Adam Koebel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

Mmm that's some good grog in the comments. We get a "had metoo gone too far magnum opus, and a "I only backed this for Adam Koebel"
Man I tried to read that and I still don't know the dude's (cuz it had to be a dude's) point.

It didn't.... Seem?... Like he was absolving Luke but... Maybe?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tsilkani posted:

I'm starting to think Japanese RPG translation is cursed. The Double Cross guy went silent, Andy is going silent, Kamigakari had the embezzlement trouble... I'm a little worried Getsuya is going to spontaneously combust or something if he keeps being professional about Summon Skate.

I'm guessing we'll probably never get more Double Cross stuff then? That's a real pity.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Yeah, from what I understand Ver. Blue's translator had some fairly serious health issues that led to them needing to go on hiatus.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Double Cross seems really cool, but they are such aggressively ugly books.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Double Cross seems really cool, but they are such aggressively ugly books.

Having run three campaigns of Double Cross I found the books were the biggest enemy I ran into in trying to run the drat thing, that and finding the fine point of balance in combat between it being pure rocket tag or endless grind where nothing happened.

That said those campaigns were some of the most memorable RPGs I've ever run and produced some amazingly weird party compositions and encounters.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Reposting from the industry thread...

Luke Crane has hosed off.

https://twitter.com/Peter_Smyk/status/1375551643698274306?s=19

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

If anyone has any questions about DX, I'd be happy to answer them because it is such a cool system hidden behind a pretty stiff and difficult to understand translation.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

dwarf74 posted:

I guess apologizing and saying it was ill-advised and trying to do better in the future wasn't an option? "Walk into the armory and fall onto every sword in sight" is a strategy, I guess.

Edit: Oh god, yeah, 'mutual decision' is a good euphemism.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

dwarf74 posted:

“Mutual understanding” in corpo speak means he was told to quit or get fired. If they would have added “wanting time to focus on family” or “to pursue other interests” would mean he got shitcanned.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Echophonic posted:

I guess apologizing and saying it was ill-advised and trying to do better in the future wasn't an option? "Walk into the armory and fall onto every sword in sight" is a strategy, I guess.

Nah he should have already resigned from KS after his grumpy wizard and all the immature bullshit he pulled on BW Gold.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

One of the things is Kickstarter has a cool feature where backers can mash a button demanding an update, so you can be in a position where all you're doing is waiting on a boat for 3 months, but every couple of weeks or so you get an anxiety inducing email telling you exactly how many people have mashed the button since your last update. So either you put up with that or post an update to make it stop for a lil bit. Means you end up saying not a whole lot over and over again

Oh yeah, that's relatively new I think. I don't get any emails about it for some reason, but every time I log in to Kickstarter I see the little banner that's like 'some rear end in a top hat has demanded an update because they weren't listening when you said you'll update monthly'.

It's annoying.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Echophonic posted:

I'm not someone who feels this whole episode was a particularly big deal, but it remains bizarre to me that Luke Crane was ever community head, and I suspect whoever replaces him will probably be better temperamentally suited to the work. Or I sure loving hope so.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I'm glad he apologized. I don't nitpick apologies because for me that would just be a way to justify my own prejudice. Maybe others can do it. For me what matters is that he did apologize. But he has still lost a lot of my good will. Before this incident I would simply back any product he put up without even looking at it. I won't anymore.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
He didn't actually apologize for any of the things people were (rightfully) mad at him about. He apologized for "sorting the names strangely" not for "including someone unacceptable"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It’s not nitpicking to think “sorry you got offended and sorry I got caught” isn’t actually an apology and actually is probably worse than not saying anything at all.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Doctor Zero posted:

“Mutual understanding” in corpo speak means he was told to quit or get fired. If they would have added “wanting time to focus on family” or “to pursue other interests” would mean he got shitcanned.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

My only ks that bombed was Salt in Wounds and only a dollar cause I just wanted the updates.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

It’s not nitpicking to think “sorry you got offended and sorry I got caught” isn’t actually an apology and actually is probably worse than not saying anything at all.

He said "So here and now I wish to unequivocally apologize to you, and everyone affected, for the harm I’ve done to the community with this project."

Just a few days ago, Lancer posted this:

"If you’ll accept an apology, then know we are deeply sorry to have caused any offense - What we thought was a lighthearted, good-faith joke is, very plainly, not that."

Which one of these is closer to "sorry you got offended?" Honestly.

And they were praised for making a good apology. Which I agree with. I thought it was a good apology, too.

How an apology is perceived is mainly a factor of how the apologizer is perceived, not how the apology is written. Obviously. And that's not a bad thing. It's hard to imagine reading an apology given by someone I am not ready to forgive and then coming around because of how it was written. Lots of people aren't ready to forgive Luke, and that's fine. There is more trust on these forums for Massif press than there is for Luke Crane, so their apology was well received and his was not. Again, this seems obvious. In what world could a well written apology be a replacement for the trust of a community?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leraika posted:

If anyone has any questions about DX, I'd be happy to answer them because it is such a cool system hidden behind a pretty stiff and difficult to understand translation.

Honestly what I think I’d like for DX is a build guide.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah I hate apology chat. It's never productive. It's always a mix of 1. "I'll never accept any apology so it doesn't matter but this apology is specifically bad because X" and 2. "Apologies as a format are solved so any apology that's good enough is faked so no apology is good enough" and there's nothing really to learn from any of it because of 2 so it's just rubbernecking. Nothing to do with Crane mind you, eff that guy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Jimbozig posted:

Just a few days ago, Lancer posted this:

"If you’ll accept an apology, then know we are deeply sorry to have caused any offense - What we thought was a lighthearted, good-faith joke is, very plainly, not that."

Which one of these is closer to "sorry you got offended?" Honestly.

The apology that addressed what they actually did to cause harm is the one that's father away from "sorry you got offended". Like I guess apologies are a solved problem so we shouldn't talk about them but the apology that mentions where they hosed up is a better apology then the one where apparently the big whoops was a matter of bad logistics and not hiring loving Adam Koebel. I doubt you're trying to be purposefully disingenuous but cherry picking a single sentence from both statements and saying they're equivalent.....is kind of disingenuous.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Mr. Maltose posted:

The apology that addressed what they actually did to cause harm is the one that's father away from "sorry you got offended". Like I guess apologies are a solved problem so we shouldn't talk about them but the apology that mentions where they hosed up is a better apology then the one where apparently the big whoops was a matter of bad logistics and not hiring loving Adam Koebel. I doubt you're trying to be purposefully disingenuous but cherry picking a single sentence from both statements and saying they're equivalent.....is kind of disingenuous.

I'm not trying to be disingenuous. For both, I simply picked the specific sentence containing the apology, not the lengthy explanation that followed. I didn't scour the posts for the best/worst sentence I could find or anything.

You don't buy Luke's apology, fine. You don't have to! You don't have to accept any apology you don't want to. For instance, Mike Mearls could post the best apology ever written and I'd still say "nah, gently caress that guy." Nobody gets to tell anyone else what apologies to accept, and I have no intention of telling you what to feel about Luke or his apology.

I only posted in this thread to agree that he has lost a lot of good will even from me and I've always been a big fan of his work. I was afraid he wasn't going to apologize at all, and I'm happy he did, but that doesn't bring back my trust he lost.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Luke Crane having to issue any sort of apology whatsoever, regardless of its merits or not, that isn't draped in Weird Wizard Voice is probably the most painful thing he's ever had to do in his life.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly what I think I’d like for DX is a build guide.

I'm not an expert in DX builds, but here's how I go about it:

0) Come up with a broad character concept. Don't try to think in terms of discrete power sets here. I'm talking things like 'uses all the status attacks, all of them', 'big tank energy', 'I'm a diplomat, but-'.

1) Decide how you're going to attack. Generally speaking, you'll either be using melee weapons, ranged weapons, or RC skills. Make a note of the one you pick. Some syndromes are better than others with each, but with the expansion books, you can do at least a little of each attacking type with each (Chimera and Solaris only got <RC> attacks in Infinity Code, for example).

2) Decide how you're going to defend. This means Guard or Dodge, basically. You'll want to pick a syndrome that gives you powers that boost your pick.

3) Pick your syndrome or two. Generally speaking, you go pure if you want to focus on making your numbers for a single syndrome as big as possible, and you go cross if you want more variety in what you can do/to pull from multiple syndromes for your main combo. Make sure that your chosen syndrome(s) have support for your attack type and your defend type; these will be among the first picks for a starting character. Yes, tri-breeds exist, but they're more for people who really know what they're doing and hahahaha I've never made one.

4) For your starting picks, you'll want at least one attack power and another power that can combo with it, and at least one power that boosts your chosen defense. You will also want to buy Concentrate in the syndrome your attack skill is in to 3.

5) bother your gm until they let you take a couple simple powers for free; take the ones that seem most fun. Simple powers are one of the best parts of the system, and it sucks that you have to pay for them with the 'actually makes this character effective in battle' points.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I'd put 'Pick a Syndrome' either before or alongside broad character concept. Definitely before 'Pick how you attack'. They influence what you can do to such a huge degree that it's kind of fundamental to everything else, and finding out the power aesthetic you liked the sound of doesn't work at all with the choices you've already made is a real bummer.

What Double Cross really needs is a bit more mechanical summary for each Syndrome, to go along with the fluff description. 'Here's the primary attack style of your powerset, here's how you defend yourself, here's what neat combat tricks you have', instead of someone having to just pour over all the powers reading what they do to suss it out.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Tsilkani posted:

I'd put 'Pick a Syndrome' either before or alongside broad character concept. Definitely before 'Pick how you attack'. They influence what you can do to such a huge degree that it's kind of fundamental to everything else, and finding out the power aesthetic you liked the sound of doesn't work at all with the choices you've already made is a real bummer.

That's kind of the reason I do it in that order, actually - if I know I want to attack/defend a certain way, I'm just going to annoy myself if I have my heart set on a certain powerset beforehand. I freely admit that's probably a me thing, though.

Tsilkani posted:

What Double Cross really needs is a bit more mechanical summary for each Syndrome, to go along with the fluff description. 'Here's the primary attack style of your powerset, here's how you defend yourself, here's what neat combat tricks you have', instead of someone having to just pour over all the powers reading what they do to suss it out.

Yep, especially for the syndromes that deal with <Negotiation>. The little fluff summaries they have are cool but don't help that much mechanically.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leraika posted:

I'm not an expert in DX builds, but here's how I go about it:

I might have something more expansive to say later but this was very helpful, thank you.

Leraika posted:

Yep, especially for the syndromes that deal with <Negotiation>. The little fluff summaries they have are cool but don't help that much mechanically.

Essentially those syndromes work via you charming somebody so hard it's like an attack?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Dawgstar posted:

Essentially those syndromes work via you charming somebody so hard it's like an attack?

Depends on the power and the syndrome, and how you want to fluff it.

It's worth noting that most powers are pretty basically described and it's highly encouraged to refluff in a way that fits your character - my Solaris character who is a fairy knight uses an armor-piercing skill by trapping the enemy in magicked briars, my Solaris character who was a mothman fired corrosive wing scales at people as the same skill. Same effect, different fluff.

That being said, the sort of assumptions for <Negotiation> powers are: you're loving with your opponent's head via shady drugs or illusions (Solaris), you're manipulating sound to get the effect you want (Hanuman), or you're just talking better than everyone else, because you are smarter than everyone else (Neumann). I don't think any other syndromes get Negotiation powers.

Also - Tsilkani's method of thinking about things might be a good way of working through a character if my way doesn't work out for you!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

potatocubed posted:

Oh yeah, that's relatively new I think. I don't get any emails about it for some reason, but every time I log in to Kickstarter I see the little banner that's like 'some rear end in a top hat has demanded an update because they weren't listening when you said you'll update monthly'.

It's annoying.
Honestly it feels like the best way is to say, during your campaign, "We will post an update of some kind on (this frequency) giving a breakdown of the tasks involved in completion and where they are at" and stick to that rigorously.

If people demand earlier updates despite the fact that you have set a monthly schedule, you can feel totally justified in ignoring them. If you make up the list of tasks and copy-paste it each time with appropriate updates, the time you need to spend on the update is pretty goddamn minimal (to the point where if you genuinely do not have time to do it then your life has probably spiralled into sufficient chaos that you should be eying your emergency exit plan from the project anyway). If you can't get your poo poo together sufficiently to set a schedule and do that update every so often and perform that simple copy-paste-and-tweak exercise, you probably don't have your poo poo together enough to see a Kickstarter project to completion (because, seriously, your tasks-to-be-done/current status list should exist in some form anyway, copy-paste into an update is, what, less than a minute's work?).

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

I'm glad he apologized. I don't nitpick apologies because for me that would just be a way to justify my own prejudice. Maybe others can do it. For me what matters is that he did apologize. But he has still lost a lot of my good will. Before this incident I would simply back any product he put up without even looking at it. I won't anymore.
For me the problems with the apology are that:

- He doesn't seem to specifically explain why having Adam on the project might have been a bad idea, or even acknowledge that Adam had done anything wrong.

- It was an apology designed to absolve himself of wrongdoing - in other words, the opposite of a real apology, which would have entailed admitting wrongdoing. He goes out of his way to say "There was no deceit, deception or bad faith in any of my actions around the project", so at that point it's not an apology, it's a blunt denial and exercise in rear end-covering and making excuses.

- He made no acknowledgement of his status at Kickstarter, the conflict of interest his projects represented, or even apologies to Kickstarter themselves for actions which, due to his position at the company, cast them in a bad light.

So taken together, not only do I find it possible to nitpick the apology, but when reading what he actually wrote I'm not even sure it's actually an apology, because it's full of self-serving mealy-mouthed excuse-making and there's still a bunch of stuff which he can't really be said to have apologised for because he didn't acknowledge it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey, so this looks rad as hell.

I guess I'll be back in the office by 2022 so why not have an adventure-a-day to pull me in?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sundialgames/2022-quest-calendar-an-adventure-a-day-rpg

Warthur
May 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

I guess I'll be back in the office by 2022 so why not have an adventure-a-day to pull me in?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sundialgames/2022-quest-calendar-an-adventure-a-day-rpg
Hopefully everyone who gets it will do the good and honourable thing, and if their PC gets killed in combat on January 7th dump the entire calendar in the fire because their adventure is over.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warthur posted:

Hopefully everyone who gets it will do the good and honourable thing, and if their PC gets killed in combat on January 7th dump the entire calendar in the fire because their adventure is over.
I plan to run four concurrent campaigns :D

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

I plan to run four concurrent campaigns :D

Timecube?!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

dwarf74 posted:

Yet another thing I am pissed I didn’t think of first. Le sigh.

Thanks though! Looks very cool. Backed. I’m going to also see if I can get this years’s.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
It looks like JoCo2 is up. I'm not sure I will ever get to play it in real life but the one game I played online was a lot of fun and I like Cole's games as a general rule so might back it anyway.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1243243962/john-company-second-edition?ref=android_project_share

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I know Sentinels isn't the most popular game around here, but perhaps the Definitive Edition will change your mind:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-definitive-edition

I wasn't convinced I needed it since I already own a complete set of the original edition, but...it is sounding pretty enticing and there's a 90 day money back guarantee (and G>G can afford to actually do that, I think - if nothing else Spirit Island's been doing great), plus conversion rules for playing old stuff with the new edition until they revamp that. So, personally I'm in.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Also today is the launch day of Lasting Tales / Blacklist Miniatures Fantasy Series 2:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/lasting-tales-a-fantasy-miniatures-game/description

You can also add on Fantasy Series 1 and Horror Series 1.
Fantasy Series 1 was an absurd value for the amount of minis you would get, and the quality looks pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uge6FP98tY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJzQ2WJKE5U

Lasting Tales is a set of rules to play solo/co-op dungeon crawls with whatever minis/terrain you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

malkav11 posted:

I know Sentinels isn't the most popular game around here, but perhaps the Definitive Edition will change your mind:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinels-of-the-multiverse-definitive-edition

I wasn't convinced I needed it since I already own a complete set of the original edition, but...it is sounding pretty enticing and there's a 90 day money back guarantee (and G>G can afford to actually do that, I think - if nothing else Spirit Island's been doing great), plus conversion rules for playing old stuff with the new edition until they revamp that. So, personally I'm in.

Sentinels is a huge hit with my group, and I'm in the same boat as you. I have almost everything from 1.0, including the big storage box (which I kind of hate because it makes it no longer portable). I really want to go in on this, but the prospect of them being pulled into buying all the sets a second time as they are re-released doesn't sound great.