Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Near mint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

I remember years ago one of the thread misanthropes that has thankfully disappeared was extolling the virtues of cassettes related to how easy they are to make and distribute. Which makes sense and is cool if you're balls deep in the local scene or only interested in Bands That Have Never Even Heard of Themselves and that's your only option, but that's basically where the benefit stops.

Being part of tape trees and mailing circles was more fun and interesting than hopping on a tracker for a bootleg, but otherwise yeah that’s about the only benefit. There definitely wasn’t the upside of “getting tons of high quality music for free in whatever digital format I want”. Waiting a month+ to get a lovely sounding bootleg in the mail sucked. But there is no modern equivalent of the Bob Dylan Free Tape Library and there probably never will be. High speed internet killed stuff like that.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Yeah I did a little bit of that when I was into terrible jam bands in the late 90s/early 2000s and it was kinda fun. The effort that people went to in order to track tape generations and get soundboard recordings and all that was real interesting. Then you'd get something that was supposedly a holy grail of a recording and it still sounded like muddy butt.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

Yeah I did a little bit of that when I was into terrible jam bands in the late 90s/early 2000s and it was kinda fun. The effort that people went to in order to track tape generations and get soundboard recordings and all that was real interesting. Then you'd get something that was supposedly a holy grail of a recording and it still sounded like muddy butt.

VHS tape trees were even weirder.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

stealie72 posted:

They are too small to have good album art like an LP, they are generally less physically robust than a CD

Tapes are extremely portable and took way more abuse than CD's. You can shove a tape or two in your pockets. Also most CD's I have taken in the car with me end up scratched up and unplayable after a while. Tapes? Throw them on the floor. They play forever. Until my tape deck stared eating them but that is the fault of the deck.

Chinook posted:

From my aunt's basement. Many of these were my mother's. This is pretty cool.

Seriously. I think I own or have owned every record in this picture at one point.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've still got all my old Phish / Grateful Dead / etc. tapes that I never listen to but don't have the heart to toss. All those Maxell XLII 90s will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

I've still got all my old Phish / Grateful Dead / etc. tapes that I never listen to but don't have the heart to toss. All those Maxell XLII 90s will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Rip em before it's too late

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

petit choux posted:

To shreds, in a garbage can

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

BigFactory posted:

VHS tape trees were even weirder.

(Glances furtively at box of 70s SNL bootlegs)

Original broadcasts with commercials that people copied from the BV archives around the turn of the century. I’m halfway into digitizing them because someday I’ll die and someone will look at these and say, “this is all on hulu wtf smh” and toss ‘em

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

(Glances furtively at box of 70s SNL bootlegs)

Original broadcasts with commercials that people copied from the BV archives around the turn of the century. I’m halfway into digitizing them because someday I’ll die and someone will look at these and say, “this is all on hulu wtf smh” and toss ‘em

Upload those suckers to archive.org!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Enos Cabell posted:

I would not be surprised if they're all up on archive.org from earlier generation tapes, or even straight from the soundboards.

I should start uploading the 30 or so Frogs soundboards I have, come to think of it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Like caligulalamprey said, all that stuff is already online either in extremely high quality versions you have to pay something for, or multiple free versions that are all better than the old tapes you have.

It’s the weird stuff that hasn’t been ripped yet. I have a morphine bootleg I should probably get online sometime and a 2000s era Bowie show that I know isn’t in circulation. I don’t know how hard Bowie’s estate cracks down on that stuff now though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I got digital versions of all the shows I cared about back in the early 2000s. This reminds me though that I have mini-disc recordings of the first Oysterhead show in New Orleans that I taped myself, and no longer have any way to play them back. :cry:

I can download that show no prob but it's just not quite the same as the version I taped myself.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah I got digital versions of all the shows I cared about back in the early 2000s. This reminds me though that I have mini-disc recordings of the first Oysterhead show in New Orleans that I taped myself, and no longer have any way to play them back. :cry:

I can download that show no prob but it's just not quite the same as the version I taped myself.

A portable minidisc player is only $50 on eBay. There may be better ways to spend $50, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Barry posted:

You're kinda doing it to yourself. I know I've lightly chastised you about this before, but maybe stop being so fixated on prices and "who would buy this" and general negativity and just enjoy this dumb hobby as much as you can. Yes, records are getting expensive and absurd but just ignore it and you'll be much happier.

I'LL NEVER BE HAPPY. GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU drat KIDS!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

no surprises here

https://twitter.com/kevinduquette/status/1373034033030918148?s=19

2021 gonna be the year i finally get a cassette player. the sanyo the op of the cassette thread got looks nice...

Rip the small pressed weird poo poo that came out during the covid sweet spots....Now taken up by zeppelin and Boston represses. I wonder how band camps "we'll pressya to vinyl" efforts are going now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sporklift posted:

Tapes are extremely portable and took way more abuse than CD's. You can shove a tape or two in your pockets. Also most CD's I have taken in the car with me end up scratched up and unplayable after a while. Tapes? Throw them on the floor. They play forever. Until my tape deck stared eating them but that is the fault of the deck.

Seriously. I think I own or have owned every record in this picture at one point.

I feel like every record collection I've ever come across ends up with a copy of that kansas album in it somehow, and never from having been purchased.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
my dad sent me that and leftoverture as part of a larger collection. i gave leftoverture a shot and it sucked rear end and i've been debating whether to bother with the other one

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jack White, open another pressing plant!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

my dad sent me that and leftoverture as part of a larger collection. i gave leftoverture a shot and it sucked rear end and i've been debating whether to bother with the other one

Kansas is the greatest American traditional prog rock band and that’s saying absolutely nothing.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://twitter.com/billysezvinyl/status/1373097734132137988?s=21

Basically we all had a nice little jam going until covid blew up our spot

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yea Covid really did a number on every industry.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dorium posted:

Yea Covid really did a number on every industry.

It was really good for the face mask industry.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
excited to spin these tonight, managed to get all 3 for a pretty reasonable price actually

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

looking at upgrading my turntable from the bargain-basement stanton I've been on for like 14 years now to an audio-technica

the 120 appears to be backordered to hell and back, but I can get a 140 now if I drop an extra hundo-plus on it. trying to see what the difference between the two is and not really seeing it, apart from the 140 coming with a more dj-oriented stylus (at's website says that the cartridge is compatible with vm styli so I could presumably flip to something nicer if the one it comes with is a vinylgrinder) and possibly having an all-aluminum case (idk what the 120's case is made of and google isn't helping)

it's the season of mandatory overtime where I work, so I should probably treat myself but I'm always leery of going ham on purchases

hexwren fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 27, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hexwren posted:

looking at upgrading my turntable from the bargain-basement stanton I've been on for like 14 years now to an audio-technica

the 120 appears to be backordered to hell and back, but I can get a 140 now if I drop an extra hundo-plus on it. trying to see what the difference between the two is and not really seeing it, apart from the 140 coming with a more dj-oriented stylus (at's website says that the cartridge is compatible with vm styli so I could presumably flip to something nicer if the one it comes with is a vinylgrinder) and possibly having an all-aluminum case (idk what the 120's case is made of and google isn't helping)

it's the season of mandatory overtime where I work, so I should probably treat myself but I'm always leery of going ham on purchases

I'll give another shout out for the U-turn Orbit as an alternative. I got it rather than an lp120 and it has been a workhorse for me so far, though it is admittedly a little less user friendly if you're switching between 45s and 33s a lot and the cue lever is an add-on which is bullshit.

But overall it's got so few moving parts, like it's just such an austere build, that there's very little on it to break or do wrong, and that's kinda comforting in the simplicity.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Found a guy selling records for $5 a pop - picked these up today. Pretty happy about it. (Peeking out from behind Abbey Road is Revolver, btw)

Edit: not a great picture I realize. Three of them are the White Album, The Wall, and Pink Floyd's Meddle. The rest are pretty easy to identify, I imagine

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The days of picking that kind of stuff up at a thrift store are well over, 5 a pop is solid

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Chinook posted:

Found a guy selling records for $5 a pop - picked these up today. Pretty happy about it. (Peeking out from behind Abbey Road is Revolver, btw)

Edit: not a great picture I realize. Three of them are the White Album, The Wall, and Pink Floyd's Meddle. The rest are pretty easy to identify, I imagine

Awesome! The standouts to me are Black Sabbath and Ziggy Stardust, but I would be stoked to find almost all of those for $5.

I look forward to more couch pics from you :v:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Yeah drat I'm jealous of that

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks! Hopefully it’s a while before I get anything else, though. I want to catalogue these in Discogs and also clean all of them.

Definitely a fun hobby, at least this initial honeymoon phase seems to be. :)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Chinook posted:

Unless the albums are trashed pretty great value on most of those (the Phil Collins is priced about right). It’s not a numbered white album, right?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

BigFactory posted:

Unless the albums are trashed pretty great value on most of those (the Phil Collins is priced about right). It’s not a numbered white album, right?

It's this one:
https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-The-Beatles/release/7328075

So nothing especially valuable. (although The Wall and Black Sabbath are both apparently versions which are ~$50, which I was surprised by.) Still, each one I would've probably been willing to pay ~15 or more for, eventually. But all at once... this was great.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I ended up getting a numbered one buying some records off a guy from Craigslist. I didn’t even know or care it was in the lot, he wasn’t selling it as a numbered white album and there are a million represses out there. But he had a couple of Folkways records I wanted so I bought the whole lot. So now I have #1175822, which I guess is kind of a low number for the US cause it doesn’t have letters. It was missing the poster but had the headshots. I’ve got a poster in another copy so no big deal.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I ended up getting a numbered one buying some records off a guy from Craigslist. I didn’t even know or care it was in the lot, he wasn’t selling it as a numbered white album and there are a million represses out there. But he had a couple of Folkways records I wanted so I bought the whole lot. So now I have #1175822, which I guess is kind of a low number for the US cause it doesn’t have letters. It was missing the poster but had the headshots. I’ve got a poster in another copy so no big deal.

Was up fellow folkways collector

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i found out that urban outfitters sells records online, and assumed they'd be terrible, so i looked for a lark

now i'm debating dropping $40 on this loving 3xLP Fame (Monster) set :negative: https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/lady-gaga-fame-monster-limited-3xlp?color=095&type=REGULAR&size=ONE%20SIZE&quantity=1

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

One appears to have a bad scratch and all the others look unplayed. Sadly enough, the one that's scratched has the Baja Marimba band playing Ghost Riders in the Sky, who would wanna miss that, but then luckily enough there was a copy of Look Out by the Baja Marimba Band to fall back on, oh whathehell

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A find for teh ages:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Since I mentioned archive.org a day or so ago...

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1375972345517576192?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

A find for teh ages:

Please rip this so that we may all learn Soundex® Coding.