Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I would definitely not send anyone my only Factorio game as a sample project lol

Got a rocket off the ground but it's not pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

"yeah so i've been taking a look at your github and... i'd just like to check with you but uh, i don't see any factorio saves on your github?"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Paolomania posted:

Holy poo poo if you want to verify skills that bad the industry should just implement a professional exam. The whole loving reason for a resume is that a verified work history is supposed to be a proxy for having a baseline skill set and if you don't trust that why the gently caress roll your own pseudo-certification process.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are lots of certs and dozens of professional exams and, for development work not IT stuff, not one that anyone gives a poo poo about

i think the literal only thing that was impressive to 1980s employers and 2000 employers and 2020 employers and has a reasonable expectation to be impressive for 2040 employers is like, a top cs degree, which is why peeps are neurotic about that poo poo

peeps used to be jazzed about non top cs degrees, even, but thats gone into the fuckin trash

We need to move to some certification, but yeah, there's a lot out there that no one cares about. IMO we should be looking at the actuarial world as an example of how this can work. They've got their own issues but nothing like ours.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm in a spot where the product is in rocky waters: high-profile departures from the org haven't been replaced with new folks and we're attempting a desperate pivot on core functionality in hopes of hitting the KPIs mandated from higher-ups. There's been a steady trickle of internal transfers out of the org from my team that I suspect is about to turn into a flood that could well set off a cascade across the org.

I'm weighing two options:
  1. Jump ship ASAP — thinking of an internal transfer to another org in the company. Would be better done before there's a rush of others at my level doing the same.
  2. Stick it out in hopes of getting a promotion before things (possibly) crash and burn — my teammates and manager have all said that they'll support this in the upcoming round of promotions (and even if they leave the team, their opinions still have weight so long as they're still in the company). And then find an internal transfer at that new level if the situation still warrants it.

I still need to investigate whether an internal transfer could include a bump to my level, but I'd assume that's rare.

Do folks who've got more experience in the industry have any thoughts?

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

1. Jump ship ASAP — thinking of an internal transfer to another org in the company. Would be better done before there's a rush of others at my level doing the same.
  2. Stick it out in hopes of getting a promotion before things (possibly) crash and burn — my teammates and manager have all said that they'll support this in the upcoming round of promotions (and even if they leave the team, their opinions still have weight so long as they're still in the company). And then find an internal transfer at that new level if the situation still warrants it.

I still need to investigate whether an internal transfer could include a bump to my level, but I'd assume that's rare.

Usually internal transfers can't bump levels, and you can't transfer for a year after a promotion. Figure out the rules for your organization. Always consider an outside position since that is where the money is.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cugel the Clever posted:

I tried to do option 2 at my last job, and ended up running into the problem that the org just wasn't willing to promote for that position. When you have a product that's tanking, keep in mind that higher-ups may deprioritize it accordingly. You're also attaching yourself to a sinking ship, based on, what, the slim chance that you might be able to save it? Think hard about how likely that is before you commit to that plan.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I've been doing frontend for the past 1.5 years and I've also done a 3 month full stack internship in the past and have a college CS cert. One of my goals this year is to transition to full stack or at least gain skills and work in something that's not just frontend. If I can eventually get out of web dev that might be great, too. I'm going to bring it up in my review next month that I want to be on one of the extremely few full stack teams. I'm in a large company and most teams are either frontend or backend, not both. I also want to move on to my next stage in life and get serious with my SO so I admit I'd also like a pay raise, and I feel like my best bet is to start interviewing at other companies. My teammate just did exactly this and left earlier this month.

I talked to one company randomly to get a feeler and because they're 100% remote with their HQ in Missouri he asked me straight up my salary requirement since I'm in the bay area. I know in general I'm not supposed to just say a number outright but my range turned out to be a little above theirs, and he said they couldn't go over so we both had no reason to continue with the interview process.

My question is how do I navigate the interviews now that I have the leverage of experience plus a full time job? I've only ever had to look for my very first real dev job and not the second or third, so there's some things I'm not sure how to approach. Like do I just straight up ask in the phone screen what their comp package and salary range looks like? I'm sure there's a lot of other things I hadn't considered yet, too.

Also, what's a good strategy when applying now that COVID has forced most companies to be remote? I can apply to a company based in Missouri but wouldn't it continue to be awkward if I keep demanding silicon valley levels of money? Does that mean I should focus on applying to bay area companies?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't bring comp up too early but I would also not apply to companies that I thought would have trouble affording me. That doesn't give you many options outside of the bay area, but there are a lot of dev jobs there.

When this is all over, would you consider moving someplace where pay and cost of living are lower?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Guinness posted:

Yeah exactly, and the peanut gallery on HN and /r/programming have already been gushing over how brilliant it is, despite the closing statement saying it's unrealistic.

Top comment on HN says they actually did this and loved it

HN is for reading the submission title and writing a post that will show how smart you are on the same topic, not for reading submissions and commenting on them.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm in a spot where the product is in rocky waters: high-profile departures from the org haven't been replaced with new folks and we're attempting a desperate pivot on core functionality in hopes of hitting the KPIs mandated from higher-ups. There's been a steady trickle of internal transfers out of the org from my team that I suspect is about to turn into a flood that could well set off a cascade across the org.

Do folks who've got more experience in the industry have any thoughts?

This is company dependent, but generally you cant get a promo transferring as companies don't want to encourage internal poaching. Transferring tends to set back promo as you have to get back up to speed plus any time you've spent on your current project without a concrete accomplishment is wasted.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't bring comp up too early but I would also not apply to companies that I thought would have trouble affording me. That doesn't give you many options outside of the bay area, but there are a lot of dev jobs there.

When this is all over, would you consider moving someplace where pay and cost of living are lower?

Thanks, for some reason that wasn't immediately obvious to me since my previous experience job hunting was to mass apply everywhere and take what I can get.

My teammate I mentioned took a job with a silicon valley startup and is planning on moving to the PNW. I'd say I probably want the same in theory, but I already lived in Seattle for 10+ years and don't want to go back. I don't see myself living in Portland, either. I haven't visited anything outside the west coast and NYC so I guess I should change that once the pandemic is over. Maybe see why moving to Texas is so popular now.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

AlphaKeny1 posted:

My question is how do I navigate the interviews now that I have the leverage of experience plus a full time job? I've only ever had to look for my very first real dev job and not the second or third, so there's some things I'm not sure how to approach. Like do I just straight up ask in the phone screen what their comp package and salary range looks like? I'm sure there's a lot of other things I hadn't considered yet, too.

this is contrary to what most will tell you but you should try to calibrate your own value based on your experience, skills and info you can get from places like levels.fyi and your peers. once you have a number you are comfortable with it's fine to just tell recruiters and hiring managers what your expectation is. the advice that this puts you at a disadvantage in negotiations is only really relevant when you are both unaware of your actual market value and have no choice but to deal with companies who will happily take advantage of your ignorance of that value. companies that are staffed by competent people don't want to hire you below your value because it almost certainly will result in you leaving the first time you get contacted by a recruiter with a better understanding of that value

downout
Jul 6, 2009

the talent deficit posted:

this is contrary to what most will tell you but you should try to calibrate your own value based on your experience, skills and info you can get from places like levels.fyi and your peers. once you have a number you are comfortable with it's fine to just tell recruiters and hiring managers what your expectation is. the advice that this puts you at a disadvantage in negotiations is only really relevant when you are both unaware of your actual market value and have no choice but to deal with companies who will happily take advantage of your ignorance of that value. companies that are staffed by competent people don't want to hire you below your value because it almost certainly will result in you leaving the first time you get contacted by a recruiter with a better understanding of that value

Isn't the point that it's hard to know your own value? And companies generally hold a position to take advantage of most?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

downout posted:

Isn't the point that it's hard to know your own value? And companies generally hold a position to take advantage of most?

my perspective is that if you don't know your own value then you have put yourself in a pretty terrible situation. you definitely don't want to leave yourself open to exploitation but you also don't want to go into a situation where the company has overvalued you. that leads to frustration from your peers and managers and can actually be harmful to your career growth

it's totally reasonable to not have a clear idea of your value early in your career but by your third job you really should have a reasonable professional network and the resources to figure out what you should be earning given your skills and experience

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

the downside of that strategy is that you could leave money on the table if you don't know as much as you think, which could be the case for a billion different reasons. what's the upside?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Truman Peyote posted:

the downside of that strategy is that you could leave money on the table if you don't know as much as you think, which could be the case for a billion different reasons. what's the upside?

Anchoring is the upside. If you have a good understanding of the parameters, anchoring high will give you more room to negotiate and generally psychologically people think things/people with higher prices are worth more, all things being equal.

It really depends on the situation but ultimately try to learn your market value as much as you can so you are not vulnerable to getting anchored too low by an offer or if you are in a situation where you the information parity is in your favor (ie, you know salary ranges but they don't know what you're willing to take).

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Truman Peyote posted:

the biggest upside is not having to waste time with companies who are never going to meet my ask. beyond that, by being upfront with my expectation and being able to back it up with data (like what peers are making at comparable companies) i'm way more likely to convince a hiring manager that i am actually worth it when it comes time to negotiate. if i just ask for a range and drop out because they are way off i may miss out on opportunities worth pursuing

ultimately though, i'm way more comfortable with undervaluing myself and making less as a result than i am with relying on companies to appropriately value me and pay me my actual market value

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

How accurate is levels.fyi data? Is a listing from someone with zero years at the company a fair assessment of initial offer RSUs without appreciation and refreshers starting to layer on top?

Basically I've worked for household name companies before but none with the ability to pay SV-tier comp. I've got a call with a recruiter tomorrow at a new place and the annual comp numbers on levels.fyi are "my current base + bonus, plus 25%" for a base salary and about an equal cash value of RSUs.

I am sure I'll be asked what my expectations are and I am unsure if I'll just get laughed out the door if I throw out the numbers I'm seeing on there, but maybe that's just impostor syndrome talking if they clearly are paying people that already.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 28, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
shut the gently caress up until they give you an offer w a number and then counter w plus 20 or 25% and then accept 10% above is a good no thinking thing

asur
Dec 28, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

How accurate is levels.fyi data? Is a listing from someone with zero years at the company a fair assessment of initial offer RSUs without appreciation and refreshers starting to layer on top?

Basically I've worked for household name companies before but none with the ability to pay SV-tier comp. I've got a call with a recruiter tomorrow at a new place and the annual comp numbers on levels.fyi are basically "my current base + bonus, plus 25%" for a base salary and about an equal cash value of RSUs.

I am sure I'll be asked what my expectations are and I am unsure if I'll just get laughed out the door if I throw out the numbers I'm seeing on there, but maybe that's just impostor syndrome talking if they clearly are paying people that already.

You won't get laughed out of the room. All the numbers are valid, not just those with 0 years at that company. Companies are paying for the value people provide and aren't going to randomly overpay for it because people have been working there longer. If you use levels, I would look not only at the range and 3 percentiles of the level your applying for, but also look at one level up and down to calibrate how those percentiles match up. As mentioned if possible don't mention a number.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

asur posted:

You won't get laughed out of the room. All the numbers are valid, not just those with 0 years at that company. Companies are paying for the value people provide and aren't going to randomly overpay for it because people have been working there longer. If you use levels, I would look not only at the range and 3 percentiles of the level your applying for, but also look at one level up and down to calibrate how those percentiles match up. As mentioned if possible don't mention a number.

Looking at one level above and below is interesting. I've been reading a bit of Pragmatic Programmer on tips on how to build the right skill set/career equity.

Is it worth it to downlevel to try to get into a place that is actively using a technology that is in demand or has future potential in order to build experience? Or would people consider self training/side project experience seriously for interviewing at the Senior+ levels?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

Looking at one level above and below is interesting. I've been reading a bit of Pragmatic Programmer on tips on how to build the right skill set/career equity.

Is it worth it to downlevel to try to get into a place that is actively using a technology that is in demand or has future potential in order to build experience? Or would people consider self training/side project experience seriously for interviewing at the Senior+ levels?

Levels in general are very inconsistent across companies and some companies tend to delevel almost everyone, Google being an example. I'd compare pay instead when trying to compare across companies and wouldn't take a paycut unless you have a very specific plan. In regards to technology to work on, I'd choose based on what you enjoy as you can find well paying jobs using almost anything.

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

asur posted:

Levels in general are very inconsistent across companies and some companies tend to delevel almost everyone, Google being an example. I'd compare pay instead when trying to compare across companies and wouldn't take a paycut unless you have a very specific plan. In regards to technology to work on, I'd choose based on what you enjoy as you can find well paying jobs using almost anything.

Agreed on the comp thing. Another interesting way to look at it is top X% of engineers. Makes a way to gauge where a title is in another hierarchy in a way that isn't comp related since people would be less likely to share that. For example the title I have and higher titles accounts for like 2% of engineering vs my previous title at the same company was 10%.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Title inflation is rampant, especially at smaller companies. Giving out fancy titles is free. Even at big FAANG style companies which on the surface use very similar ladder systems, each rung is different company to company.

That it's typical to be a "senior developer" with sometimes less than 5 years in the industry is... something.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

Title inflation is rampant, especially at smaller companies. Giving out fancy titles is free. Even at big FAANG style companies which on the surface use very similar ladder systems, each rung is different company to company.

That it's typical to be a "senior developer" with sometimes less than 5 years in the industry is... something.

The contractor staffing companies do it to charge more. Everybody is senior there. Everybody.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Gildiss posted:

The contractor staffing companies do it to charge more. Everybody is senior there. Everybody.

startups do it for the same reason just in a more roundabout way. you need to brag to vcs and customers that your team is all ex-faang senior devs who have deep experience in your problem domain

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gildiss posted:

I was being billed as a senior a year out of school. Sure didn't reflect on my take home, though.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

asur posted:

I took a demotion in title from 'senior' when I started at Big G but total comp went up. By the time I was promoted back to senior it was significantly higher.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Paolomania posted:

I took a demotion in title from 'senior' when I started at Big G but total comp went up.

same

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I've got an tech interview coming up soon with a larger tech company. I've got some anxiety, but I'm pretty excited too. This could be a great career move.

Anyone have advice from their experiences from these types of moves?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Prepare.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

thotsky posted:

Prepare.

Yeah, this.

Study and prepare as much as you can ahead of time. It sucks rear end and interviews are broken but if we're talking FAANG you're probably looking at a massive salary increase unless you're already making solid SV money. It's worth spending as much time as possible preparing.

Do as many problems on leetcode.com as you can, practice doing them on a whiteboard and talking through the problem out loud as you do it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

downout posted:

I've got an tech interview coming up soon with a larger tech company. I've got some anxiety, but I'm pretty excited too. This could be a great career move.

Anyone have advice from their experiences from these types of moves?

Google has a whole website dedicated to helping interviewees prep specifically for Google. It's worth checking out for any other large tech interview too.

Amazon has a weird 10 point culture list thing. Depending on who is interviewing you it will either be super important or not important out all. Since you get interviewed by 4 different interview teams, usually at one of the people in the interview groups will care about it, so it's worth thinking about how to incorporate it into your answers. Also, last time I talked to them, one of the interview teams was still a spoiler interviewer completely unrelated to anything you are going to do. Sometimes those spoiler interviewers still ask questions as if they were hiring you for their team. I got one from the warehouse team during a backend webdev role interview. Don't be surprised if they ask you questions you have no ability to answer and are completely unrelated to what you want to do.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Nothing makes me feel stupider than trying to solve LeetCode problems correctly in a tight 45 minute window. I'm not planning to interview at FAANG but it's good practice for nearly any interview at this point since everyone just emulates those to a degree. That being said, I feel like even after a ton of practice I wouldn't be comfortable blasting through any of these in an interview setting that quickly. I can get a solution and an optimized algo pretty quickly, I don't really struggle in that regard, but turning those into objectively correct code that passes test cases within that time window is pretty overwhelming.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
For me, I can solve those problems pretty quickly on my own, very quickly if I allow myself to google the solution like you would in reality, but in an interview with someone looking over my shoulder I freeze up and have trouble with spelling errors and poo poo. It's weird, I have no problem with pair-programming at work.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
then you need to practice the anxiety more than practicing the questions. timed testing, being watched by decreasingly friendly peeps, buy a bucket of tennis balls and have a bud throw them at you while you do the questions, etc

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I think it's just an unnatural situation and for some (many) people, no amount of therapy or practice will realistically help. It feels bad and interviewing is bad. You know what's even worse? Council interviews with 2+ people watching you.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Not everyone can become great at it, but everyone can improve with practice.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I think this is multiple separate interviews with 2+ people. Gonna be fabulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Not everyone can become great at it, but everyone can improve with practice.

I get to a point where I feel like I'm not improving anymore and struggle to get over the last hump. And there are certain things like DP problems which take so much review for me each time I revisit them. I get it, not everyone can work at a FAANG and this process is "probably fine" for those companies, but the level of ubiquity we've reached in companies copying them is annoying.