Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's marmalade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Fruit spread.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

There's just smooth jam (formerly 'jelly') and crunchy jam (formerly 'jam') and now it is in balance with the peanut butter in a pbnj, which may also be smooth or crunchy. Seeds are crunchy stop thinking too hard about this.

Jelly is short for gelatine and is the true solid form of water (we all know ice is a pretender to the throne) and should definitely not be put into sandwiches.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HazCat posted:

Jelly is short for gelatine

Just in case: no it isn't.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's marmalade?
Jam if you're feeling particularly German that day.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just in case: no it isn't.

TIL. Same shared root but not a parent-child relationship.

E: also the fact that PIE gel- means 'to freeze' only further complicates my original post :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Let me help you non Americans

Jam is a sweet sugary spread, usually strawberry or raspberry flavour. Also goes well with porridge or on a sandwich with peanut butter.

Jelly is a gelatinous solid, comes in multiple colours and flavours, you usually melt it in hot water then let it solidify into a wobbly bouncy mass.

Idk where you're from but Texas, New York, Ontario, and Québec definitely do not agree with this definition and I'm worried about jelly wherever you're from.

Jelly, jam, and preserves are used practically interchangeably and none of them are jello.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Idk where you're from but Texas, New York, Ontario, and Québec definitely do not agree with this definition and I'm worried about jelly wherever you're from.

Jelly, jam, and preserves are used practically interchangeably and none of them are jello.

Scotland mate

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Scotland mate

England, you guys had a vote and decided you're England.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

England, you guys had a vote and decided you're England.

Rangers died

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Jelly is a gelatinous solid

Ugh, same.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Scotland mate

I'm so sorry

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i miss schools being somewhat edgy places

i teach in a place where all the kids are basically nice, there might be some bullying here and there but it's usually of the sneaky, under the table lame kind. there are no subcultures. kids participate in the crappy school theatre production without someone opening the door and shouting mean words at the performers, like in my school when i was a kid

i have fond memories of my high school and i think in particular it was because it felt somewhat dangerous at times, like every day was kind of exciting because the school bully was an actual neo nazi with a leather jacket and greased-back hair dyed pure white, most of the teachers, looking back, hilariously sucked at their jobs, many of them were authoritarians who would do things like call their students names or invented weird punishments, so as a student it was fun to challenge them and get sent to the principal's office. i don't exactly want this for children and i don't think it "builds character" or whatever nonsense but this is what school is like in my mind and it's weird seeing a school where everything is harmonious and kind of dull

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

i teach in a place where all the kids are basically nice, there might be some bullying here and there but it's usually of the sneaky, under the table lame kind. there are no subcultures. kids participate in the crappy school theatre production without someone opening the door and shouting mean words at the performers, like in my school when i was a kid

i have fond memories of my high school and i think in particular it was because it felt somewhat dangerous at times, like every day was kind of exciting because the school bully was an actual neo nazi with a leather jacket and greased-back hair dyed pure white, most of the teachers, looking back, hilariously sucked at their jobs, many of them were authoritarians who would do things like call their students names or invented weird punishments, so as a student it was fun to challenge them and get sent to the principal's office. i don't exactly want this for children and i don't think it "builds character" or whatever nonsense but this is what school is like in my mind and it's weird seeing a school where everything is harmonious and kind of dull

I'm not sure if I feel that Schools should be those places, and I was pretty miserable there, but I also have stories that still make me cry with laughter to this day, so I kind of get what you mean.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

I'm not sure if I feel that Schools should be those places, and I was pretty miserable there, but I also have stories that still make me cry with laughter to this day, so I kind of get what you mean.

yeah my school was basically an anecdote factory disguised as a school, the one i teach at doesn't really seem like that, or maybe it's because i have an adult's perspective and don't see anything cool happening

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
That's nostalgia. I've felt nostalgic for making GBS threads foamy liquid due to just drinking beer for a week. It lies.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's marmalade?

A miserable little pulp of citrus.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Shibawanko posted:

yeah my school was basically an anecdote factory disguised as a school, the one i teach at doesn't really seem like that, or maybe it's because i have an adult's perspective and don't see anything cool happening

All the cool bullying is happening on whatever smartphone app the kids are into these days.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Shibawanko posted:

Ok boomer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

All the cool bullying is happening on whatever smartphone app the kids are into these days.

Yeah, that's the problem. Bullying should involve physical threats and force kids to band together against the bullies for safety. It's a good way to learn about how the world works, the stronger take advantage of the weak and all the weak can do is band together to make other easier targets more attractive to the bullies. Psychological bullying is just mean. loving zoomers, can't even do bullying right. :rolleyes:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Who needs peers anyway. Take the red pill and learn what the world is really like.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A bully would think fondly of a time when bullies were tolerated. I had to start punching people to get them my off my back. The lesson was that only physical force can save me. No one will ever help me, nor family, not class mates and not the teachers. Is that a lesson you would want your child to learn?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yes, but I'm a weirdo that thinks everyone should catch at least one deserved asskicking in their life. Undeserved asskickings obviously suck, but mouthing off to someone in a bar and catching a bottle for it? Yeah, I think everyone should learn that lesson at least once.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Nobody should catch a bottle to the face because they upset a drunk guy, lmao. You're an insane person who has never actually seen a bar fight.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, I've been in plenty. I know it's a stupid wrong opinion, doesn't change that I believe it though. That's what this thread is for. Also it only hurts if the bottle doesn't break.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also it only hurts if the bottle doesn't break.

lol you've literally never been in a fight in your life.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Even Jesus got an undeserved asskicking. It's a part of life.

Though he was a bit mouthy with the Romans, in my opinion...

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, I've been in plenty. I know it's a stupid wrong opinion, doesn't change that I believe it though. That's what this thread is for. Also it only hurts if the bottle doesn't break.

Captain Monkey posted:

lol you've literally never been in a fight in your life.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you get glassed and it breaks you will most of the time get cuts, in your face if that's where it hit. It might not hurt at the moment but eh. Though I'm thinking of a pint glass in this case instead of a bottle.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

It definitely hurts worse when the bottle breaks and glass goes everywhere and gets down your shirt and up your nose. But why would you ever want anyone to know that? Being in a fight sucks and all you learn is that crying in front of people is more embarrassing when you're bleeding.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

there was a relevant part of the quote from solice that you didn't manage to read that proves, to me, that they've never been in an actual fight, especially one where a bottle got broken. can you find it?

hint: it's the part i cut and quoted!!!

fizzymercury posted:

It definitely hurts worse when the bottle breaks and glass goes everywhere and gets down your shirt and up your nose. But why would you ever want anyone to know that? Being in a fight sucks and all you learn is that crying in front of people is more embarrassing when you're bleeding.

Yep. I'm not gonna throw up a bunch of gore images in the thread but you can google 'glass bottle face scars' and find out how much of an internet tough guy solice is being right now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My only school "fight" was when a senior I had beaten in an arm wrestling lunch contest asked me if I wanted to see what a pile driver felt like. I said yes because I didn't want to look like a coward and he drove my head into the grass and it hurt like hell. I ended up almost missing my bus home and the driver asked why i had a bunch of dirt and grass in my hair, and I could tell like 10% of my way into the story he didn't really care so I went to my seat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:shrug: It never hurt as much when it broke vs thumping off my head and still cutting me.

edit:
The one that broke was thrown though, so maybe that made it better? Eh, whatever. I know it's a dumb opinion.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Mar 27, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

there was a relevant part of the quote from solice that you didn't manage to read that proves, to me, that they've never been in an actual fight, especially one where a bottle got broken. can you find it?

hint: it's the part i cut and quoted!!!

Yep. I'm not gonna throw up a bunch of gore images in the thread but you can google 'glass bottle face scars' and find out how much of an internet tough guy solice is being right now.

I'm agreeing with you bro, I also believe he's never been in a fight

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Cuts don't really hurt when they happen, especially if you are drunk. You might notice them only when someone else freaks out or you notice your hands are red.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm agreeing with you bro, I also believe he's never been in a fight

Oh my bad. We are posting allies now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

doverhog posted:

Cuts don't really hurt when they happen, especially if you are drunk. You might notice them only when someone else freaks out or you notice your hands are red.

Kinda depends on how sharp the instrument is, I've cut myself with Razors and My own Knives and not noticed until I saw blood or rubbed it against something. Getting cut with a dull knife where it tears the skin loving hurts like hell.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

papercuts hurt so bad because the edge of a piece of paper is extremely smooth and sharp, like shark skin

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

"Some blame also lies with the paper, though – paper edges are not as smooth as they might appear from a distance, and can leave a rough trail of destruction on the skin, rather than a good, clean nick."

https://www.sciencealert.com/why-paper-cuts-hurt-so-much-according-to-science-2018

It's not sharp, as one would expect of pulverized wood pulp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Glass is sharp, paper is not.