Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

angryrobots posted:

Also the bragging about overloading small cars and trucks to their suspension stops is actually terrible car stuff, not evidence of your massive weiner.

I think you'll find it's my massive wiener that's overloading my suspension :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ohhh you wanna open the windows do you?

gently caress you pay me

Now you want to listen to the radio?

gently caress you pay me

It sure is hot today need some AC?

gently caress you pay me
Ah, the Harlan Ellison option package.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cacafuego posted:

The traditional market for F150/Silverado/Ram also don’t want no <insert Asian racist term> made trucks. Never underestimate racism in your stereotypical American truck buyer.

I’ve met many of these people and they’re all dumb and horrible, but you can’t convince them otherwise.

What's really hilarious is how many Tundras I've seen with big stickers on the back window pointing out how it was made in USA, like they have to justify their purchase.

Humphreys posted:

LOL That's no ute.

So, what is a Toyota HiLux, then?
I mean, I know a ute is a car based thing with a load bed, but every time I've seen something talking about what we in the US would call a "pickup truck", in Oz, they say ute. so I called the MB/Nissan a ute.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Some Aussies have a hard time with the Falcodore dying and don't consider the current crop of Thai built pickups as 'real utes'.

Normal people would call anything with a tray a ute.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

They sell a ton of vans and other commercial vehicles so it kind of makes sense to have a truck too but I guess nobody was impressed by a rebadgges nissan.

Thing is a fancy ute is seen as a status symbol whereas a van or truck is just a work tool.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

They sell a ton of vans and other commercial vehicles so it kind of makes sense to have a truck too but I guess nobody was impressed by a rebadgges nissan.

The first I heard of the Mercedes pickup, it was going to be released in South Africa first, building on the Navarra's reputation and the Mercedes badge's cachet.

Evidently the previous MB pick up was made by Ssangyong. I was not aware that their relationship went both directions.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

I think you'll find it's my massive wiener that's overloading my suspension :smug:

If you wanna call those springs you took out of a ballpoint pen suspension, sure. :v:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Darchangel posted:

What's really hilarious is how many Tundras I've seen with big stickers on the back window pointing out how it was made in USA, like they have to justify their purchase.

So, what is a Toyota HiLux, then?
I mean, I know a ute is a car based thing with a load bed, but every time I've seen something talking about what we in the US would call a "pickup truck", in Oz, they say ute. so I called the MB/Nissan a ute.

UTE implies that the bed and the cabin are one ‘body’ no gap.

El Camino is a UTE. HiLux isn’t.

Subaru BRAT was a UTE.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Wait, so would a Chevy Avalanche be a ute? And a Ford Falcon with a flat bed not be a ute?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

VideoGameVet posted:

Subaru BRAT was a UTE.

Again, *I* know what I would classify as a Ute, but that’s not all I’ve seen it applied to.

I guess the Honda Ridgeline is a Ute, then? How about the ‘60s Ford Unibody pickup?

I’m not trying to bust your balls - I agree with your take. I just happened to think of the Ridgeline and Unibody just now.

Edit: oh right, the Avalanche, too. Thanks. Forgot about that one.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 27, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Subaru BRAT was a UTE.

You can complain all you want but this is not the general usage anymore (if it ever was, I can't ever remember the Hilux and similar not being referred to as a ute)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

VideoGameVet posted:

Subaru BRAT was a UTE.

A Holden 1 tonner is a Ute. The Ford Falcon trayback is a Ute. The HiLux is called a Ute in the country that invented them. It's a Ute.

This is 100% a Ute.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 27, 2021

ili
Jul 26, 2003

If you don't think a Hilux is a ute your bloody head's screwed on backwards.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I thought we were talking about young people

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

angryrobots posted:

Was going to say all of this. The Taco is very expensive for what you get, and returns poor fuel mileage.

Also I have to say that this forum's opinion about trucks never being used as trucks is A Thing, but is exaggerated. Also the bragging about overloading small cars and trucks to their suspension stops is actually terrible car stuff, not evidence of your massive weiner.

Better to load a truck to capacity once in awhile than commute in a 15MPG land freighter completely unloaded.

The number of people using trucks as trucks is still decreasing, as most contractors shift to panel vans so they don't have to pack a step stool to load poo poo at Home Depot.

They're ridiculous, almost every other country in the world gets by without them, certainly without using them as insane, over polluting daily drivers.

The Taco might not get great fuel economy for its size, but at least you can get a dirt bike in the bed comfortably and park in a single parking space.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Goober Peas posted:

I thought we were talking about young people

I just wanted you to know, I appreciate this My Cousin Vinny reference.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

If you wanna call those springs you took out of a ballpoint pen suspension, sure. :v:

Oh you haven't heard of the four-spring dick technique?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A Holden 1 tonner is a Ute. The Ford Falcon trayback is a Ute. The HiLux is called a Ute in the country that invented them. It's a Ute.

This is 100% a Ute.
If you mount a .50 cal in the back, is it a technical?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

madeintaipei posted:

The first I heard of the Mercedes pickup, it was going to be released in South Africa first, building on the Navarra's reputation and the Mercedes badge's cachet.

Evidently the previous MB pick up was made by Ssangyong. I was not aware that their relationship went both directions.

Yup.
Ssangyong sourced engines from MB for a while, from the mid 90s to the mid-late 00s.
When those engines broke you could just grab an OM60* (aside from the 606 which i believe doesnt fit in an actyon) and it would just drop right in. Most countries you couldnt walk into a junkyard and not trip over one.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 27, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Elviscat posted:

Better to load a truck to capacity once in awhile than commute in a 15MPG land freighter completely unloaded.

The number of people using trucks as trucks is still decreasing, as most contractors shift to panel vans so they don't have to pack a step stool to load poo poo at Home Depot.

They're ridiculous, almost every other country in the world gets by without them, certainly without using them as insane, over polluting daily drivers.

The Taco might not get great fuel economy for its size, but at least you can get a dirt bike in the bed comfortably and park in a single parking space.

An Ecoboost F150 gets far better gas mileage than a Tacoma, especially when loaded

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 27, 2021

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

If you mount a .50 cal in the back, is it a technical?

Technically, yes

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

VideoGameVet posted:

Subaru BRAT was a UTE.

Ute stands for Utility Coupe, therefore it was based off a regular passenger car, so in the words of the farmer who sent the request to Ford Australia: "a vehicle to go to church in on a Sunday and which can carry our pigs to market on Mondays".

Therefore anything built as a pickup first and foremost, like a F150, Hilux or Silverado already cancel themselves out there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You Am I posted:

Ute stands for Utility Coupe, therefore it was based off a regular passenger car, so in the words of the farmer who sent the request to Ford Australia: "a vehicle to go to church in on a Sunday and which can carry our pigs to market on Mondays".

Why didn't he just get a dually F-350 King Ranch edition supercab :confused:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"how can I take something that's not that great to start with and then make it demonstrably worse in every single way?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That has to be a front-end wreck, right? No way did somebody come up with that out of the blue

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Memento posted:

"how can I take something that's not that great to start with and then make it demonstrably worse in every single way?"

I don't know, this is in the realms of being so terrible that it might just be awesome.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

MrOnBicycle posted:

I don't know, this is in the realms of being so terrible that it might just be awesome.

Please seek help for your broke brain :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the steering controls based on what's visible.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Is it controlled by that side rod attached to the front forks? Looks like it might attach to some kind of steering rack, but those linkages don't exactly inspire confidence.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Memento posted:

Robin Reliant II

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

VideoGameVet posted:

Robin Reliant 2: Eclectic Smart Fortwo.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Memento posted:

Very bad idea, or insurance/road legality shenanigans? Technically that could be classified as trike, and driven with a motorcycle license, which in turn in some countries cannot be revoked.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

Very bad idea, or insurance/road legality shenanigans? Technically that could be classified as trike, and driven with a motorcycle license, which in turn in some countries cannot be revoked.

Yeah, my first thought was northern england DUImobile.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

So in some places the solution to people who drink and drive is to... make them ride motorcycles drunk instead?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It makes sense from a utilitarian perspective. At least when they crash they won't kill anyone but themselves

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Steely Dad posted:

So in some places the solution to people who drink and drive is to... make them ride motorcycles drunk instead?

It's usually mopeds. Long standing loophole for DDs. Indiana now requires insurance to drive mopeds and scooters, something you can't get with a DD on your record. So that closed off that option.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

It makes sense from a utilitarian perspective. At least when they crash they won't kill anyone but themselves

Wanna bet

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Midjack posted:

Wanna bet

It is a pretty good bet. Some years ago a finnish car magazine did a review on bike fatalities, about 25 fatalities spanning couple years. Only one of those fatalities wasn't a rider or a passenger. That case was some old man who walked between parked cars to the road and was hit by a bike, and the pedestrian was found to be at fault. It seems it's relatively difficult to kill someone else than yourself with a bike.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Saukkis posted:

It is a pretty good bet. Some years ago a finnish car magazine did a review on bike fatalities, about 25 fatalities spanning couple years. Only one of those fatalities wasn't a rider or a passenger. That case was some old man who walked between parked cars to the road and was hit by a bike, and the pedestrian was found to be at fault. It seems it's relatively difficult to kill someone else than yourself with a bike.

There's more than enough evidence online that in fact it's a lovely bet and as well it's not just the rider being turned into a smear that is the only person affected even if the rider is the only one killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

While I'm not advocating at all for drunks to be given bike licences that's some pretty crappy "your tears say more than real evidence ever could" level thinking considering the direction was obviously "you're more likely to just kill yourself"