Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What's the Nintendo Switch Sleep Support like for this game? I'm travelling and spoiled now on literally being able to put my game to sleep anytime and wake back up with no consequences. Is that possible here, or do you lose progress or boot out of missions by doing this (offline, of course). I bounced hard off of the 3ds monster hunter and the gameplay loop wore out quick, but I'm looking for a lengthy game to jump into and hopefully this works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Okay, let's see how they try to make Kulu-Ya-Ku's intro sound threatening.

*video consists of it nearly getting killed, and fleeing in terror*

Welp.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

God danging I did the exact same thing here that I did in World where I took the starter katana into the first "slay 8 tiny idiots" mission and miss almost every single attack because the vertical slice is so thin and the hitboxes are so tiny

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I want a black palico! Why won't they let me make him black?!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shine posted:

Welp.

BIRD UP

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

A Single Sphink posted:

My cat is Chairman Meow

This is also what I’ve named my cat.

My dog is named after my first pet, a golden retriever who died many years ago when he was only two. He will be wearing the retriever layered armor most of the time.

My owl is named Fowl Metal Owlchemist (F.M. Owlchemist because of character limits).

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy

Shine posted:

Welp.

I have never enjoyed the bad bird

And oh wow, I didn't see the Monster Hunter Language option, which I picked and will stick with forever now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I want a black palico! Why won't they let me make him black?!

It helps to use the color spectrum thing. Set the contrast and saturation all the way to the right.

I made my dog look like Eva Unit 1. It's so gaudy.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Xalidur posted:

I may finally main greatsword for once, but I'm scared. I don't know if I have the strength to do it.

I believe in you, I'm back to greatsword after mostly using it in 4U as my first MH game as well. It's incredibly satisfying and the silkbind power sheath gives you lots of chances to quickly evade and power up while you're getting used to the different attack patterns.

The tackle is new to me, it seems like it has insane versatility with so many ways to get to mix it in. I just need to work on the timing because I'm mostly failing at tackling through roars still. It's a great feeling when you shoulder charge a monster straight to the ground though.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
so happy they nailed this, having a blast

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Everything about the village is so nice and cute. How is everyone not dead from eating nothing but colourful dumplings all day every day? I don't care I just want some.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

stev posted:

Everything about the village is so nice and cute. How is everyone not dead from eating nothing but colourful dumplings all day every day? I don't care I just want some.

After watching my character shrug off 100ft falls in MHW, I just assumed it best not to ask questions.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Detective No. 27 posted:

It helps to use the color spectrum thing. Set the contrast and saturation all the way to the right.

I made my dog look like Eva Unit 1. It's so gaudy.

If I set saturation to max and contrast to minimum, I can get a kinda dark blue color. It's disappointing.

I just want to have a buddy that looks like a kitty that passed away last year. It shouldn't be this frustrating.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this is really drat good so far but gently caress i cannot pick a weapon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SnS owns in this game, but I'm not really feeling the silkbind attack that just swings the sword around a bunch. I've also tried LBG which is really fun but I need to wait until it's easier to keep my ammo up without draining my money, and Charge Blade which is loving sick. I'll probably use CB for all of village and then mess around with other stuff online...love this game so far at HR2.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I found a Nine-tailed fox in the Shrine :eyepop:

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
OK so I just got to the intro for the Great Izuchi and holy poo poo if every monster intro is like this lmao

Absolutely incredible

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The drat honeybadger stole honey from inventory and ate it

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Gonna grab this tonight probably. How are the gunlance changes? people seem conflicted.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Shine posted:

Welp.

Egg Bois Represent

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Depths posted:

The drat honeybadger stole honey from inventory and ate it

It's so good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's nice that within a few hours you're already seeing more interesting weapon design than the entirety of what World offered

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Barroth seems a lot more capable than he did in World, with his head slam shooting mud that he can (and will) follow up with a charge. If his damage was like it was back in Tri I bet we'd hear a lot about newer players having a hard time with him.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I love how quickly they unlock the Argosy now

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Anyone use any of the 3rd party switch docks? I’m not really familiar if they’re good/bad, but I’d like to move my switch from my living room to my bedroom without unplugging all the poo poo from my receiver. I’m assuming it’s all just an usb-c port with hdmi and a decent wall wart, so it SHOULDN’T matter, but I know that the Nintendo poo poo isn’t even really true USB-C so I’m curious.

Usually I’d just go first party but Amazon won’t have them in until April 15th

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Anyone use any of the 3rd party switch docks? I’m not really familiar if they’re good/bad, but I’d like to move my switch from my living room to my bedroom without unplugging all the poo poo from my receiver. I’m assuming it’s all just an usb-c port with hdmi and a decent wall wart, so it SHOULDN’T matter, but I know that the Nintendo poo poo isn’t even really true USB-C so I’m curious.

Usually I’d just go first party but Amazon won’t have them in until April 15th

I hear good things from that one where you take the guts out from an official Nintendo dock and put it in the smaller shell.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
How have I never used the hunting horn????? DOOT DOOT MONSTERS DEAD

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hear good things from that one where you take the guts out from an official Nintendo dock and put it in the smaller shell.

That's not going to help someone who wants a second dock to avoid having to unplug things, though.

If I had to buy a dock right now, I would probably go for the one made by Genki, but that's really pricey and may be overkill for what OP is trying to do.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

PageMaster posted:

What's the Nintendo Switch Sleep Support like for this game? I'm travelling and spoiled now on literally being able to put my game to sleep anytime and wake back up with no consequences. Is that possible here, or do you lose progress or boot out of missions by doing this (offline, of course). I bounced hard off of the 3ds monster hunter and the gameplay loop wore out quick, but I'm looking for a lengthy game to jump into and hopefully this works out.

Can't speak for actual hunts, but I put my Switch to sleep in the village and I took it with me to work and when I powered it on it just gave me a message that I'm offline but didn't boot me anywhere. Stayed in game.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Badly Jester posted:

That's not going to help someone who wants a second dock to avoid having to unplug things, though.

If I had to buy a dock right now, I would probably go for the one made by Genki, but that's really pricey and may be overkill for what OP is trying to do.

Price isn’t the issue, I just don’t like waiting

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

In Training posted:

It's nice that within a few hours you're already seeing more interesting weapon design than the entirety of what World offered

can you elaborate on this? I'm on the fence about getting Rise vs playing Iceborne.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Neat you can change the pictures in your guidebook of monsters and endemic life with pictures you take with the camera.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ketchup vs catsup posted:

can you elaborate on this? I'm on the fence about getting Rise vs playing Iceborne.

I just meant visually, 95% of the weapons in world are just the Iron or Bone weapons with a feather on it. Rise is back to the older games aesthetics with weapons that look like repurposed chunks of monster parts from the thing you carved them from

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
DB's shuriken move is gonna get nerfed. It's mulching poo poo.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Speaking of throwing things, infinite throwing knives is the best new thing.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

ah, my favorite part of monster hunter: spending 12 hours in the training room trying to figure out what weapon I'm going to use before giving up and rand()ing

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

alarumklok posted:

ah, my favorite part of monster hunter: spending 12 hours in the training room trying to figure out what weapon I'm going to use before giving up and rand()ing

it me

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Movement is just sooo much better all around. Even things like climbing vines and such are better here.

Game good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Star posted:

You can pause whenever by pressing the home button on the controller but it won’t save while on a mission.

Yeah I put my switch to sleep in the middle and came back just fine. Works great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The monster poems are dumb and good. Poems about how scary the monster is in front of, at best, the monster hunting some dumb animal, and at worst the monster hunting some very dumb animal is a great contrast.

Behold the terrifying Aknosom! Watch as it eats tiny insects that cannot harm it!