Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Are there known lighting issues with using PS5 back-compatibility on PS4 games? I remember the solar glare occasionally feeling bonkers in AssCreed Odyssey, and now I've noticed several sections in Spider-man have been unplayably dark, even in an only moderately-lit room. I don't remember them as being anywhere near that aggravating, although it's been a while and my brain may have just blocked the memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Are there known lighting issues with using PS5 back-compatibility on PS4 games? I remember the solar glare occasionally feeling bonkers in AssCreed Odyssey, and now I've noticed several sections in Spider-man have been unplayably dark, even in an only moderately-lit room. I don't remember them as being anywhere near that aggravating, although it's been a while and my brain may have just blocked the memories.

You might want to look into any HDR settings.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

As someone who recently finished Kiwami 2, it really does serve as a sort of zenith of the bullshit plaguing 0 and Kiwami 1. Not only does the game have a million dumb side things to do, it has the audacity to lock skills behind some of them as well.

What's that? You want to do a heat action with your fancy golf club? Something that you could just do in the previous games? gently caress you! Now you get to slave through the stupid golfing minigame until you get enough points to win the secret book of golfing techniques!

Oh, you want to do a heat action with your baseball bat, another thing that you could do without any prior unlocking in the other games? Nope! You get to sit through the stupid batting minigame and earn points to buy the secret batting books! Oh, but because you only get like 100 points max from the regular batting minigame and the books cost thousands, you actually have to unlock the homerun derby to have a chance of getting enough points in anything resembling a timely manner, so that's another complication. (And btw, there are guides for the homerun derby's patterns, but the most popular ones are actually wrong about how the derby works, so good luck with that).

By far the worst one, though, has to be the skill locked behind the bouncer missions. Not only does it require you to do all the missions, it requires you to do them on EVERY difficulty, too. This would be more annoying than difficult, since infinite durability weapons make most of the bouncer missions a joke, except for the fact that the last bouncer mission pits you against THREE of the Amon brothers, AKA the secret super bosses that you only get to fight after completing all the substories. The Amons all have a mechanic where, after you use a heat action on them, that same action stops doing damage to them, and in this game specifically they also all get an energy shield that more than halves the damage they take while it's active. Allegedly you can smack them with the lightsaber weapons to knock it out, but that didn't work for me, so in my experience at least I was forced to run away from them until the shield dropped. Oh, and the rules of bouncer missions prevent you from using healing items during them, for some stupid loving reason.

I barely managed to beat the last bouncer mission on the lowest difficulty- literally, I had a loving PIXEL of health left. And you want me to take on harder versions of it, all just for a skill that is literally already obsolete by the time I can get it? gently caress all the way off with that.

I love the Yakuza games but good loving lord do they make it difficult at times.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
...as I was saying it's a trap for a completionist. Just keep mashing light attack to win everything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Taking skills that used to be the default away from you in the sequel is kinda smelly game design though. DMC 1 for example I was able to pick up and get a hang of much easier because all of Dante's default moves are exactly the same in DMC V some 15 years later.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In Spider-man, there's a brief section where you have to run around as Pete in regular clothes and find a couple areas where you can stealthily swing around and run up a building without being seen. It's a complete shame that they never give you that outfit to free roam, even to use postgame. The closest they get is the weirder outfits like undies-only and college hoodie, but even those keep the Spidey facemask on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vic posted:

What drags Yakuza ( 0 and 1 so far ) is the casual misogyny in the writing. I'm not even about the random daughter slaps, I'm talking about how all the women are written by Japanese Michael Scott from Office. They are all accessories or jokes. These games are written by a japanese weeb.

this is an issue with crime fiction in general, women are often props or accessories to the hardboiled manly men glaring at each other over cigarettes, gunsights, and/or glassfuls of bourbon

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

In Spider-man, there's a brief section where you have to run around as Pete in regular clothes and find a couple areas where you can stealthily swing around and run up a building without being seen. It's a complete shame that they never give you that outfit to free roam, even to use postgame. The closest they get is the weirder outfits like undies-only and college hoodie, but even those keep the Spidey facemask on.

I'm guessing it's because if people spun the camera around or took photos while doing that they'd get nothing but :geno: from Peter. It already can get annoying (or funny) trying to get a good action shot of hitting an enemy because they don't have facial reactions to most attacks. With Miles it's so much better because a lot more enemies have masks or full helmets.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Mar 26, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lobok posted:

I'm guessing it's because if people spun the camera around or took photos while doing that they'd get nothing but :geno: from Peter. It already can get annoying (or funny) trying to get a good action shot of hitting an enemy because they don't have facial reactions to most attacks. With Miles it's so much better because a lot more enemies have masks or full helmets.

I could see some reasoning to that. Honestly I hadn't even thought about photo mode, I just had fun seeing Pete swinging around.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Lobok posted:

I'm guessing it's because if people spun the camera around or took photos while doing that they'd get nothing but :geno: from Peter. It already can get annoying (or funny) trying to get a good action shot of hitting an enemy because they don't have facial reactions to most attacks.

That's Iron Man in cutscenes in Avengers if you switch his outfit to one that shows his face

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A more general Spider-man complaint: the first two DLCs are good and fit pretty well with the main storyline, with the second involving a character you've worked with through the whole game and ending on a major "TO BE CONTINUED" moment for them. But then the final one just kind of shoves a half-resolution of that into an optional collectible quest, while making the ending about some Vince Vaughn lookalike who's basically gone from random schmuck to power-suit crimelord final boss over the last few hours of the game. It just feels anticlimactic for everything to focus around this kinda generic villain when the first two parts center pretty heavily on characters that were pretty close to you in the main game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Horizon Zero Dawn again: the game keeps giving me mods to increase spear damage, but there's no actual interface to apply them that I can find. Maybe it's locked behind the one sidequest chain I haven't done? Who knows!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Things dragging the new Monster Hunter down: my joycon drift has reached the point that bowguns are pretty much unusable, and I don't want to buy another pair knowing the problem hasn't been fixed and it will happen again.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

StandardVC10 posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn again: the game keeps giving me mods to increase spear damage, but there's no actual interface to apply them that I can find. Maybe it's locked behind the one sidequest chain I haven't done? Who knows!

It might be, or it could be another side quest. You can't start applying spear mods until you do some quests in the Frozen Wilds DLC that is probably included in the version you bought? I think all of them now have that included.

You can't get to the Frozen Wilds until you finish the main quest called Seeker at the Gates, according to some stuff I just read.
https://www.ign.com/wikis/horizon-zero-dawn/How_to_Start_The_Frozen_Wilds

There maybe minor spoilers there, but it's mostly just a how to.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The Moon Monster posted:

Things dragging the new Monster Hunter down: my joycon drift has reached the point that bowguns are pretty much unusable, and I don't want to buy another pair knowing the problem hasn't been fixed and it will happen again.

I've been playing Monster Hunter World with a friend of mine, and while I'm liking it with company, I don't think I could possibly stomach playing Rise unless they fixed the main problem with World, which I don't think they did: the grappling hook is terrible, poorly-designed garbage that was clearly tacked on to give purpose to extra buttons, and yet has the gall to be just barely useful enough that you're punished for ignoring it for that.

It's really clear to me that the grappling hook was a button-filler, because none of its buttons make sense in relation to each other or the rest of your moveset, they only make sense in the context of 'the last few Monster Hunter games were on platforms without four shoulder buttons, so they had to come up with things for them to do'. And yet the grappling hook's functions don't even make sense in that context, to the point where the first thing I'd recommend to someone playing it is to immediately remap the grappling hook off of L2/LT, because that position is literally the furthest possible place it could be on the controller from where that makes sense. I wish you could ignore it completely because it's so awkward and unfun and the other games went fine without it, but no, it's crammed into enough key parts of the game that you have to use it.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Mar 26, 2021

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I've been playing Monster Hunter World with a friend of mine, and while I'm liking it with company, I don't think I could possibly stomach playing Rise unless they fixed the main problem with World, which I don't think they did: the grappling hook is terrible, poorly-designed garbage that was clearly tacked on to give purpose to extra buttons, and yet has the gall to be just barely useful enough that you're punished for ignoring it for that.

It's really clear to me that the grappling hook was a button-filler, because none of its buttons make sense in relation to each other or the rest of your moveset, they only make sense in the context of 'the last few Monster Hunter games were on platforms without four shoulder buttons, so they had to come up with things for them to do'. And yet the grappling hook's functions don't even make sense in that context, to the point where the first thing I'd recommend to someone playing it is to immediately remap the grappling hook off of L2/LT, because that position is literally the furthest possible place it could be on the controller from where that makes sense. I wish you could ignore it completely because it's so awkward and unfun and the other games went fine without it, but no, it's crammed into enough key parts of the game that you have to use it.

The clutch claw was a poison added by iceborne and monster hunter rise deleted it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Well Rise has a completely different grappling hook system that's pretty free form and good for traveling around. The game has almost Breath of the Wild levels of go anywhere/climb anything, and you can grapple pretty much anywhere. I thought the slinger in rise was mostly pretty ignorable, and I didn't hate the clutch claw upgrade in Iceborne but it was so powerful it made the game kind of revolve around it, so I'm glad it's gone in Rise.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I mentioned in the sister thread that I started playing Space Crew and while it improves a few things over bomber crew it also stumbles in some places.

The enemy ship design is horrid, just a collection of very bright purple legos flying through space. I’m close to the end and I don’t even know what the differences between the ships are as they all seem to just fly around and shoot at me, the only one I can really pick out are the boarding ships.

Getting boarded sucks, it’s not super dangerous but it’s a hassle to get your dudes armed, fighting, then back to their stations.

The electric panels can get damaged and cause fire to spawn about every 5 seconds so if you vent the room to kill the fire it will be back before you can repair the panel.

As you’re in space weight is no longer a limiting factor on your ship, so instead of having to find a balance between good guns, heavy armor, and upgraded systems you just upgrade your stuff to be better as soon as you can.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

moosecow333 posted:

I mentioned in the sister thread that I started playing Space Crew and while it improves a few things over bomber crew it also stumbles in some places.

The enemy ship design is horrid, just a collection of very bright purple legos flying through space. I’m close to the end and I don’t even know what the differences between the ships are as they all seem to just fly around and shoot at me, the only one I can really pick out are the boarding ships.

Getting boarded sucks, it’s not super dangerous but it’s a hassle to get your dudes armed, fighting, then back to their stations.

The electric panels can get damaged and cause fire to spawn about every 5 seconds so if you vent the room to kill the fire it will be back before you can repair the panel.

As you’re in space weight is no longer a limiting factor on your ship, so instead of having to find a balance between good guns, heavy armor, and upgraded systems you just upgrade your stuff to be better as soon as you can.

Is it still always real time? That turned me off bomber crew as I like to be able to pause to give orders to the crew

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
You get a limited amount of slow down per mission just like Bomber Crew.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I bought a pro controller after both my pairs started drifting too much to use, and I like it a lot so far

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

FactsAreUseless posted:

I bought a pro controller after both my pairs started drifting too much to use, and I like it a lot so far

Unfortunately, "just buy a pro controller" is probably the best way of dealing with Joycon Drift. Get a controller that won't wear out and use it as much as possible to preserve the one Nintendo intentionally refuses to fix.

The Pro is legitimately a good controller on its own but it's not much of a solution for people who primarily use the switch as a portable/handheld

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Unfortunately, "just buy a pro controller" is probably the best way of dealing with Joycon Drift. Get a controller that won't wear out and use it as much as possible to preserve the one Nintendo intentionally refuses to fix.

The Pro is legitimately a good controller on its own but it's not much of a solution for people who primarily use the switch as a portable/handheld

When I had a switch it was hooked up to a TV maybe twice so yeah, the pro controller wasn’t going to help me. When I was home I had much beefier options to play stuff on, most switch games are the kind of thing I would only play portably.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not much help if you have a case or anything but I got the Hori Split Pad Pro for handheld use since my giant man hands kept cramping up and it's great, plus it's third party so doesn't seem to have drift issues. It doesn't do any gyroscopic stuff though which is annoying when you randomly hit something that needs like in BotW

Opopanax has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Mar 26, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

It's not much help if you have a case or anything but I got the Hori Split Pad Pro for handheld use since my giant man hands kept cramping up and it's great, plus it's third party so doesn't seem to have drift issues. It doesn't do any gyroscopic stuff though which is annoying when you randomly hit something that needs like in BotW

I don't have one because I don't use handheld much, but I know someone who absolutely swears by his, I'd definitely grab one of I had more use for it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

The problem with this is I mostly play in hand held mode. Still been thinking about it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The skill tree in the Miles Morales Spideymans game seems like a step back: it's smaller (fine, given the size of the game), but they added level restrictions to everything so it feels like you're always just unlocking the one that's available rather than putting thought into your build.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Captain Hygiene posted:

The skill tree in the Miles Morales Spideymans game seems like a step back: it's smaller (fine, given the size of the game), but they added level restrictions to everything so it feels like you're always just unlocking the one that's available rather than putting thought into your build.

Oh for sure. It's even worse if you got the Day 1 edition because then you start off with 3 extra skill points, but because of the level restriction it doesn't actually make you any stronger.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The skill trees in both Spider-Man games are useless. There's nothing complicated about the final, complete moveset that needs to be parceled out over the course of the game.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I've been going through the Borderlands 3 dlc this week while recovering from surgery, and it still feels like every part of the game is simply too long. Every map has one extra part that it doesn't need, or even an entire section the world just doesn't need to be there.
Just finished the Guns, Love and Tentacles, and there was a big section of the map to recover a thing, and it simply didn't need to be there. You transit the hub map, go through this long winding path for a simple boss fight, then teleport to the area to drop off the thing you get.
Which of course opens another map section.

I'm amazed at how consistent they are though, so everything they've done in game has been like this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think most people would say that a big part of Monster Hunter's gameplay is upgrading your equipment using pieces of monsters you carved off the things you're hunting. A really simple but effective progression, that makes you feel like what you're doing matters.

...so why in the hell did World implement the Defender Alpha + set, a completely free set that obsoletes literally every piece of equipment prior to High Rank? It sucks all the fun out of the early game, because all of it feels pointless.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 05:11 on Mar 27, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Moon Monster posted:

The problem with this is I mostly play in hand held mode. Still been thinking about it.

the pro controller owns in portable mode, just get the big kickstand case

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

I think most people would say that a big part of Monster Hunter's gameplay is upgrading your equipment using pieces of monsters you carved off the things you're hunting. A really simple but effective progression, that makes you feel like what you're doing matters.

...so why in the hell did World implement the Defender Alpha + set, a completely free set that obsoletes literally every piece of equipment prior to High Rank? It sucks all the fun out of the early game, because all of it feels pointless.

That rolled out well after release, I think it’s the “I want to jump into Iceborne and skip the base game” set.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Cleretic posted:

It invalidates every armor set THROUGH High Rank. Yeah, it should really have a little disclaimer - "This is for players looking to complete the base game as quickly and easily as possible"

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Final Fantasy 7 R: Gee, how come the Train Graveyard gets to have two pointless boss fights?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Grunch Worldflower posted:

The pro controller is great, not just for joycon drift but for having an acceptable connection. I have two pairs of launch joycons, and even after sending them in to be fixed, I get dropped button presses and worse if I have my feet up or cross my legs, if I have too many things on the coffee table, sometimes if my hands just cover the joycons they're holding too much. It's ridiculous.

My pro controller has started drifting after a few years as well. It's minor enough that only animal crossing seems to have sensitive enough inputs to be impacted, but now and then my villager will just spin to the left while I'm trying to do something. Very annoying.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That rolled out well after release, I think it’s the “I want to jump into Iceborne and skip the base game” set.

It's pretty much the equivalent of an MMO giving you a pass to immediately level up a character to LVL 60 (or whatever) so that you can jump right into the latest expansion content.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cleretic posted:

this set as well as the guardian weapons were added with iceborne, presumably with the idea being that you could use them to skip to master rank quickly if you wanted.

In practice this is really stupid since someone who played the game on another platform already has the experience to get to MR quickly through skill and doesn’t need cheat gear, and for anyone else it just destroys the high rank experience by removing the entire gameplay loop of finding something you want and chopping up a particular monster to make it, since there is no choice or anything to chase anymore, as well as making the game really easy before the armor and weapons cap out the moment you reach the difficult expansion that expects you to know how to play well. a dumb and bad addition to the game.

the best thing to do is to pretend the armor and weapons simply don’t exist, as much as you’re able to for something that’s broadcasted at the top of the blacksmith menu where you’ll see it every time you go to craft something and also has a dirt cheap crafting cost and objectively better stats than anything else.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Does that armor set exist in your game if you don't have iceborne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Captain Lavender posted:

It invalidates every armor set THROUGH High Rank. Yeah, it should really have a little disclaimer - "This is for players looking to complete the base game as quickly and easily as possible"

At least when High Rank happens the defense values for armor that isn't Guardian are keeping pace enough that it's not too big a difference, and you can start swapping armor out for things with good skills for your weapon. The weapons itself, the Guardian still outstrips all the others for a while, but with armors you can start swapping things out at high rank to start building for things like charge speed and not feel like a total glass cannon afterwards.