Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
iirc they were all pre-fab rooms that you connected together and looked like poo poo and no one played them anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

lmao okay i'll concede that no video game story is good enough to be experienced and appreciated as a masterpiece hundreds of years in the future

Get back to you one that in 200 years I guess, people might be talking about the deeper meaning of halo 3 then.
Like with movies cinematography and gameplay which have a pretty sound set of steps to success, there must be a method that produces a good story for a game that can be followed and will pull all the right leavers in people's brains and make literary professors gush over it for centuries.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Morrowind

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR-K2rUP86M

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Flannelette posted:

Get back to you one that in 200 years I guess, people might be talking about the deeper meaning of halo 3 then.
Like with movies cinematography and gameplay which have a pretty sound set of steps to success, there must be a method that produces a good story for a game that can be followed and will pull all the right leavers in people's brains and make literary professors gush over it for centuries.

A lot of the impression of literature is tied up in various forms of elitism though. There's plenty of people who will gush endlessly at the wonders of Mario or Sonic or whatever else. The only real difference between them and a literary professor is the prestige society gives the professor.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Eh, I dont think the sc2 editor is bad because blizzard Activision sucks balls(which they really do, for the record). It's pretty clear they saw the popularity of the wc3 editor and how many very much not warcraft 3 games people made in it and decided sc2 should get a bigger, badder editor that didnt need you to custom script in order to do that stuff. And to their credit it does what they intended and is an incredibly powerful tool. It's just they forgot about user friendliness so the editor takes a bunch of busywork and files for even basic tasks and there is next to no documentation.

Basically I guess what I'm getting at is that the devs heart was in the right place, they just hosed it up. Which is a very different sort of gently caress up than what they turned into.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Phigs posted:

A lot of the impression of literature is tied up in various forms of elitism though. There's plenty of people who will gush endlessly at the wonders of Mario or Sonic or whatever else. The only real difference between them and a literary professor is the prestige society gives the professor.

What prestige do you imagine a literary professor receives

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Holy poo poo Dirt 5 is so bad. Gotta vent for a second, already asked for a refund.

1) The AI is BROKEN. I heard the AI was easy so I turned it up to the highest difficulty right when I started the game. I then proceeded to take first place in twenty straight career races. I was winning three minute races by over 15 seconds, I usually wouldn't even see the other cars after about 20% into the race. No challenge whatsoever, I mean this is a serious problem that I can't BELIEVE they haven't fixed by this point in its release. And get this: this was before I figured out the button for the handbrake which allows you to make tighter low speed turns.

2) Online matchmaking was also broken. Couldn't race a single actual person. It showed that I was the only one in the lobby even though that seems pretty unlikely.

3) Time attack was kinda fun but then I started getting first and seconds GLOBALLY. How? I'm not a loving racing game genius, I'm decent but has no one played this game? There's no way I should be getting first place in the world after playing for less than four hours.

4) Not enough cars, not enough tracks.

5) Physics weren't awful but they weren't great either. Definitely not lifelike, but that's a minor gripe.

Basically it's a glitzy coat of paint on a stinky turd. A sad fall from grace. Maybe not as bad as Project Cars 3, which took an amazing crunchy sim racer and turned it into the blandest, most content-poor crap racing game ever. But this is a close second. Dirt 4 was undoubtedly better, more realistic, and more challenging. Codemasters is basically hosed at this point, which is sad because they own all the best series and basically have a monopoly on most racing titles.

In fact the best racing game that came out recently, WRC 9, was one of the only non-Codemasters racing titles to come out recently. Funny how that works

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Phigs posted:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Every time some nerd tries to analyse a video game like an art house movie or literature my eyes gloss over and I just see and hear colours, and not in a good way.

Mm yes, you can see by Shooty McStrongmans armour that he represents the moral ineptitude of the blah blah blah.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yes, Morrowind

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

The flashlight and the first underwater propulsion system fall apart rapidly unless they patched that since I played. Some equipment is forever but the tools you use need to get replaced and get used up and it was so tedious and slow even on easy mode I gave up before I ever figured out how to explore the crashed ship.

Playing on console was a mistake because I can't just cheat engine the stuff in to actually explore the game which was the only interesting part.

I'm not sure what version you played but you literally just need to change the batteries

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

Within the field of literature compared to the average person?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

syntaxfunction posted:

Every time some nerd tries to analyse a video game like an art house movie or literature my eyes gloss over and I just see and hear colours, and not in a good way.

Mm yes, you can see by Shooty McStrongmans armour that he represents the moral ineptitude of the blah blah blah.

I was tearing up at the end of Doki Doki Literature Club.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FoolyCharged posted:

Eh, I dont think the sc2 editor is bad because blizzard Activision sucks balls(which they really do, for the record). It's pretty clear they saw the popularity of the wc3 editor and how many very much not warcraft 3 games people made in it and decided sc2 should get a bigger, badder editor that didnt need you to custom script in order to do that stuff. And to their credit it does what they intended and is an incredibly powerful tool. It's just they forgot about user friendliness so the editor takes a bunch of busywork and files for even basic tasks and there is next to no documentation.

Basically I guess what I'm getting at is that the devs heart was in the right place, they just hosed it up. Which is a very different sort of gently caress up than what they turned into.

Also nobody wants to spend a year of their life developing their super cool SC2 mod like people did for WC3 back in the day because Blizz's legal bloodsuckers put some bullshit in the level editor's license to say "if you make the next dota we own it and get all the money, gently caress you".

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Phigs posted:

One semester I had an english literature lecturer who tried to start a discussion about what can be defined as literature, only to end the discussion stating that the only thing that counts as "legitimate" literature are works that make references to older and more esoteric literature. I get he was trying to make a distinction from something like a pamphlet in a doctor's office but the guy reeked of unjustified elitism.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Terrible sources of writing: TV, Movies, Video games, Books, Comics, my posts, games journalism,

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

jokes posted:

Terrible sources of writing: TV, Movies, Video games, Books, Comics, my posts, games journalism,

This post sucked so much I quit reading it midway and want a refund

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vic posted:

Post your mailing address and we'll ship what you deserve right away!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
When you get right down to it, Dracula’s not really that much more well written than Dragon Age: Inquisition.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Vic posted:

making GBS threads all over the thread like the peter north of cleveland steamers

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vic posted:

ah, but it provoked in you an emotional response, didn't it?
that post is true art

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If a human produced it, it is art. That fart you just launched? Art. Children? Art. Bioshock? Art, against all odds.

Anime titty games on Steam? You better believe that's art, friend

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

christmas boots posted:

When you get right down to it, Dracula’s not really that much more well written than Dragon Age: Inquisition.

That's actually sadly true, a lot of "classic" literature is pretty bad

Hemingway especially is an overrated hack. I'm not joking, gently caress that idiot. Hemingway is self-insert-erotic-fan-fiction tier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a reason the Dracula everyone pictures is from movies and cartoons, not the book. The original book was a pulp techno-thriller with a goddamn cowboy.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Videogames are art

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
The problem is that what is viable for player interaction in a game is mostly limited to the physical. Walk here, shoot this, push this block. If you're being true to games being an interactive medium the closest analog in literature is an adventure paperback, or in film an action flick. As far as turning something like character dynamics into a form of interaction we still haven't surpassed the simple trees you'd encounter in a cya book or text adventure from the 80s.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 27, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJDimvPW1Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp28JPs25ek

Proof that games are art

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 27, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Siegmeyer dancing through the blades in sen's fortress is pretty good

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Khanstant posted:

You have TV shows on a second monitor while you do other stuff on the other. Sometimes a show will capture your attention momentarily, but there's no real way to sit and watch just a TV show straight unless you do some drugs that make you don't wanna move or think or do other things.

What you are saying is so obvious I feel like a dumbass but yeah, I've never had a 2nd monitor setup,

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love having two monitors but pretty much entirely for productive stuff. Whenever I try to game and watch something I end up doing one or the other, whichever is more interesting. I don't see the appeal in being overwhelmed with media honestly.

But I'm a weirdo who plays video games almost always with no audio. And I don't play music while I game usually.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
You can basically divide games into 2 categories - podcast games and non podcast games

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Having had multiple monitors for over a decade I have never been able to focus on a television show and a game at the same time. I remember one time I turned on the TV to pass the time while autorunning somewhere in an MMO and I quit that MMO less than 10 minutes later when I realized I would rather look away than play it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i kind of wish there was a game i could combine with being productive, like something turn based with waiting times that doesnt require constant action on my part but still makes progress based on my decisions, also lightweight so it's not an ordeal to start up or shut down or minimize. i work best when i can occupy part of my mind with something else, as long as i don't have to pay attention to it too much. simulation games are good for this but ive played most of them to death

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

i kind of wish there was a game i could combine with being productive, like something turn based with waiting times that doesnt require constant action on my part but still makes progress based on my decisions, also lightweight so it's not an ordeal to start up or shut down or minimize. i work best when i can occupy part of my mind with something else, as long as i don't have to pay attention to it too much. simulation games are good for this but ive played most of them to death

Crusader Kings 2 or 3 pretty much fit this

EDIT: Probably not lightweight

Vic fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 27, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Shibawanko posted:

Welcome to the world of mobile gaming

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

I'm guessing you already tried it but this sounds almost like Stellaris if you take out the turn based part. Its the only one of those types 4x grand strategy games I've ever been able to get a real good grip of, and there are definitely moments of just waiting for events to be able to play out as it chugs along at whatever speed you set it. I've only got experience with the console version, but the updates for it are catching up quickly to the PC updates and I found it pretty playable control-wise on the PS4 controller so I imagine the PC version might have controller support too.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

king of dragon pass/six ages

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

the real question is the world of literature professors larger than the world of sonic fandom? i think there are more sonic fans than literature professors, so being good at sonic is more prestigious than being good at literature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

I used the Magic the Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers games for this when I was working from home ages ago.