Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Data Graham posted:

So does Homer sing one of these godawful Homer songs in like every episode now? They've just decided that's a key feature of his character, to make him a lyrical parody savant? Christ

Castellaneta probably just likes singing and it fills a few minutes of run time so why not.

Pretty good posted:

Harry Shearer sounds like he either doesn't give a gently caress or isn't entirely sure where he is and Smithers' line not ending in "sir" is jarring.

The visual of the guys having an ineffectual punch-up in the isolation glove box is honestly pretty funny and has Good Seasons Energy but it makes zero sense in this context. Everyone's panicking and running for their lives because they've had the hounds set on them, so why have these two suddenly decided to start brawling? It's like someone pulled up Gag ideas/Chaotic situations/power_plant.txt and just dropped it into the script

I have a similar issue with Lower Decks. Definitely has good moments, but far too frequently they seem to have no idea how to end a scene and default to mass violence with yelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

you broke my grill posted:

The Principal and the Pauper is a hilarious parody of cartoon continuity. And it's funny once when at the end of the episode you just say "ok we will all just pretend none of this happened" and say continuity doesn't matter. It's not funny when you do that for 20 years.

Family Guy is guilty of this all the time too now. Maybe a random gag where Peter fighting a giant chicken that has nothing to do with the plot for a couple minutes is funny when you do it once because it's messing with normal cartoon timing, but it's not funny when you do it every episode for 20 years

No you see, if they just keep doing the chicken fight gag over and over and over for long enough, it becomes funny again! It's very meta

*grabs knee, goes AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-*

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The "do a joke that's deliberately overlong just long enough that it comes full circle and becomes funny again" routine is surprisingly hard to pull off. Family Guy was probably not so bad about it at one time, then they got carried away with it. Weirdly, some of the best examples I can think of come from the Japanese comedy show Gaki no Tsukai, but The Simpsons had some good ones back in the day too.

DENTAL PLAN

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

No you see, if they just keep doing the chicken fight gag over and over and over for long enough, it becomes funny again! It's very meta

*grabs knee, goes AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-AAAAH-SSSSS-*

They haven't done a real chicken fight in forever IIRC. The chicken keeps showing up for meta jokes about it though. Like the last one was a Terminator parody and the Peter Terminator looks like he's setting up for a big fight and then uncerminously shoot it in the head.

Family Guy still does waste enormous amounts of the viewer's time though. This was last episode or the one before it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgO7m1zHX9Q

Later in the episode they played like half of it again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The "do a joke that's deliberately overlong just long enough that it comes full circle and becomes funny again" routine is surprisingly hard to pull off. Family Guy was probably not so bad about it at one time, then they got carried away with it. Weirdly, some of the best examples I can think of come from the Japanese comedy show Gaki no Tsukai, but The Simpsons had some good ones back in the day too.

DENTAL PLAN

Rake scene

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeardly smith pitching a fit over that review might be the lowest point of the simpsons by a considerable margin and has done more to damage the reputation of the show than every clip I've seen in this thread yet. I couldn't imagine having her luck in life and being so thin skinned, so petty and so all around lovely. The reviewer should have doubled down

Yeah I agree with this 100%. Except I think the reviewer should have just ignored the tweet by Smith entirely. That would have been funnier.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

What was the lowest point of Family Guy?

Brian & Stewie and Are You There God It's Me Peter are some of my least favorite episodes. While he's a very talented & versatile voice actor, having his characters talking at each other is weird and the subject matter for both episodes was boring as hell.

The LOWEST lowest point though?

PostNouveau posted:

Family Guy still does waste enormous amounts of the viewer's time though. This was last episode or the one before it:

This was the laziest poo poo I've ever seen in my life. Having an entire Conway Twitty song during the OJ Simpson episode was one thing, but having like a third of the episode devoted to non-animated unfunny garbage was shockingly terrible, even by season 19 standards.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

The new one flashes back to 6 years in the past to answer the question of why is there an ornament on the Christmas tree that Todd Flanders made.

Marge and Homer go to the work Christmas part, and she makes him stay sober. Homer calls another sober partygoers boring, causing the 4-year sober alcoholic to start chugging whiskey (there is no other "joke" to this). Lenny and Carl spike his soda, he gets blitzed, sings a version of "Hark the Herald Angel Sing" about how he hates Burns, and gets the hounds unleashed on the party (they have violent reindeer names).

https://twitter.com/TheSimpsons/status/1373789831629770754

Marge bans him from the house until she's sure he's changed. Out of options, Homer goes to live with the Flanders. Maude is in this one! Homer gets put in Ned's bar but instead of like it looked in the past, everything is Jesusized. Maybe this is a joke about Flanderization? The taps are holy water.

There's an Itchy & Scratchy! It sucks.

Homer eventually pisses Maude off enough to get kicked out (he eats the Christmas ham with the plastic still on it).

Homer goes to console himself at Moes, and Moe takes him for a walk to cheer him up. Moe points out there's a room over the garage because there's a window up there. They've been somewhat marketing this as a surprise that was hiding right in front of everyone the whole time, and I don't think it tracks.

Homer overhears Maude going into labor (oh yeah Maude is pregnant) and he goes over to drive her to the hospital but she's like "it's too late" so he looks up on youtube how to deliver a baby. Maude requests he act like Ned (who is out giving turkeys to the poor), and he does, and Marge comes in for no apparent reason and sees this and decides that's good enough. Todd's middle name is Homer. (And for similar reasons, Maggie's middle name is Lenny.)

Here's the important question, did Moe call the garage a car hole?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

Here's the important question, did Moe call the garage a car hole?

No. There was a gag where he said he'd been renting the secret room to an Irish family and it cuts to like 7 impoverished Irish people crammed into that tiny space and they say it's the best place they've ever lived.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember when FG did that full Conway Twitty song, I literally changed the channel to something else for 5 minutes. It reminded me of unskippable cutscenes in games and made me question why in the world I would tolerate that from 22 minute content as opposed to like, 60 hour content. So I stopped watching. :shrug:

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

I liked the Conway Twitty bit, I thought it was a nice song, it was funny that they did it, and I didn't particularly feel cheated that I wasn't watching Family Guy for a couple of minutes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I felt like it stopped being a joke and started being the lowest effort filler since it was the third time they did it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah and the more they use it the longer the bit is I think. I remember rewatching the episode it's first used in and being surprised how quickly it was over

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

No. There was a gag where he said he'd been renting the secret room to an Irish family and it cuts to like 7 impoverished Irish people crammed into that tiny space and they say it's the best place they've ever lived.

As an Irish person, I choose to take this as an astute and accurate critique of the Dublin housing market. Oh wait no it's probably the half century out of date stereotype.

Mad About Simpsons.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah and the more they use it the longer the bit is I think. I remember rewatching the episode it's first used in and being surprised how quickly it was over

Yup, you're right. My respective reactions were

"Ha, wtf."
"'Kay, this again."
*Change channel*

Family Guy inches closer and closer to what Rocko already perfected: 10 minutes of a jar of mayo.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

As an Irish person, I choose to take this as an astute and accurate critique of the Dublin housing market. Oh wait no it's probably the half century out of date stereotype.

Mad About Simpsons.

I think at this point that joke is a full century out of date

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mad About Simpsons.

Yeah they were wearing old-timey clothing

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Communist Walrus posted:

I think at this point that joke is a full century out of date

I was gonna say "over a century" if we're talking Irish-Americana, but tbf if we're talking actual Irish people it was still pretty shitbox here until about the 70s

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like the 1880s Irish guy from Whacking Day, which ... actually feels like the same kind of joke

Only you can do that like, once, before it becomes a recurring thing and then you start going "wait, is this like .... something I should be ascribing more meaning to"

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sorry this is barely relevant but the weirdest "Irish jokes" I've ever seen came out of SNL like a decade ago. There was a whole sketch about how incestuous the Irish are and I was like "is this even a stereotype? wth" and another sketch that was an Irish home renovation show that implied that everyone in Ireland lived in thatch-roofed huts with dirt floors and no furniture.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Maybe a Brit wrote it?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Maybe the rich WASP families that produce Simpsons and SNL writers are still trying to keep the dream of mass racism against the Irish alive

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The British stereotype of the Irish is that they're stupid, not incestuous.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Meanwhile, dehumanizing people you've personally subjugated is extremely British humor.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
I think it's just that Irish jokes are considered to be fine now since the Irish are considered to be fully white.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sunswipe posted:

The British stereotype of the Irish is that they're stupid, not incestuous.

Plus, where do you think the royal family came from?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PinheadSlim posted:

Sorry this is barely relevant but the weirdest "Irish jokes" I've ever seen came out of SNL like a decade ago. There was a whole sketch about how incestuous the Irish are and I was like "is this even a stereotype? wth" and another sketch that was an Irish home renovation show that implied that everyone in Ireland lived in thatch-roofed huts with dirt floors and no furniture.

I can only speak for myself and people I know, but I think the Irish attitude to this stuff is mostly "ah yeah Americans are loving stupid, but we'll keep taking their tourist money so whatever". And we also view the Boston Irish as subhumans, so there's common ground there.

The best Irish simpsons joke was the Paddy's Day parade brawl where the Hulk is fighting the Thing. That was actually clever and I genuinely lol'ed when I saw it

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

How do y’all feel about Shipoopi in Family Guy? Even though it was definitely something to make up for in time, I still thought it was a pretty decent gag. It wasn’t just a lazy “literally show Buddy Hackett singing in The Music Man” clip like Conway Twitty or that Hudson Brothers clip posted, but was fully animated with a full orchestra and choir singing, so it at least had some effort put into it.

When Family Guy gets to use a full orchestra and whatever choir or singers they may need for a joke, a lot of times it’s incredible, even if the joke doesn’t land.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But like ... why. How is it a joke

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I wasn’t saying Shipoopi itself was a joke, but other times/episodes the orchestra/singers have been used to comedic effect.

There is no joke because it’s just Peter being a huge rear end in a top hat showboater after being specifically told to to showboat in the only way Peter knows how to. It’s also not as cynical to the viewer as say the Hudson Brothers clip which is “here’s a short clip *proceeds to waste several unfunny minutes of your viewing time*”.

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 27, 2021

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Its still pretty catchy, not as enjoyable as it was 15 years ago but still good

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

No the Little Mermaid is the last theatrical film Disney did that used cels. The Rescuers Down Under was the first to be fully digital ink and paint. Disney got on first, and they were doing really good work. I don't know when their television division switched over, but I know the Aladdin cartoon series was cel animated. I'm guessing they did what most of the rest of the TV side did - make the switch around 1999-2000.

that's crazy. i guess i can kind of see the difference, but i didn't even think digital ink and paint was even a thing for most studios (film or t.v.) until the the aughts the EARLIEST

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

You Are A Elf posted:

How do y’all feel about Shipoopi in Family Guy? Even though it was definitely something to make up for in time, I still thought it was a pretty decent gag. It wasn’t just a lazy “literally show Buddy Hackett singing in The Music Man” clip like Conway Twitty or that Hudson Brothers clip posted, but was fully animated with a full orchestra and choir singing, so it at least had some effort put into it.

When Family Guy gets to use a full orchestra and whatever choir or singers they may need for a joke, a lot of times it’s incredible, even if the joke doesn’t land.

I hate it along with all the other time wasting "jokes".... but at least it's interestingly choreographed and since it's animated you can't accuse them of cheaping out AND filling time

Zushio
May 8, 2008
That was the very moment I gave up on Family Guy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

It was a lot better than most of the time waster gags because they animated all the dancing

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

They haven't done a real chicken fight in forever IIRC. The chicken keeps showing up for meta jokes about it though. Like the last one was a Terminator parody and the Peter Terminator looks like he's setting up for a big fight and then uncerminously shoot it in the head.

Ugh

i saw some recent-ish episodes of FG by accident a couple of months ago and they were actually pretty decent. mostly cause they didn't have poo poo like the above, which i figured they finally grew out of. it was always one of FG's absolute worst 'gags'

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Family Guy is, overall, better now than it was for a very long stretch. You get a sense that at least some people involved in the production of it care a little and understand comedy, so there's usually a good handful of actually good jokes per episode. Some episodes are even semi-inspired. Once in a while when I'm bored, I stream a few new episodes and they don't feel like a waste of time. Compare this to modern Simpsons, which feels like a computer algorithm or aliens are attempting to write human comedy and it's an absolute chore to finish one episode.

But that said, there's still some episodes that are just awful and the occasional joke that's needlessly mean spirited or graphically violent.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I thought the Shipoopi bit was pretty good. It's a solid song and the animation was good by FG standards. Didn't feel like a Conway Twitty style time waster since they still had to animate it and record a voiceover. Since someone asked the joke is that Peter was asked not to showboat and he then goes on to showboat in a completely ridiculous way.

I didn't stick with Family Guy much longer after that but I always found it odd that people cited it as some "last straw" moment.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

I thought the Shipoopi bit was pretty good. It's a solid song and the animation was good by FG standards. Didn't feel like a Conway Twitty style time waster since they still had to animate it and record a voiceover. Since someone asked the joke is that Peter was asked not to showboat and he then goes on to showboat in a completely ridiculous way.

I didn't stick with Family Guy much longer after that but I always found it odd that people cited it as some "last straw" moment.

yeah I didn't mind Shipoopi because it had a joke behind it and they hadn't done it a million times before already

I think of it like The Principal and the Pauper too: it was good on its own but people hate it because it was a harbinger of worse things to come

also I like hearing Seth MacFarlane sing and I think it's cool he made it big enough with his show he can just use it as an excuse to do his real love: singing show tunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Seth is cool. Al Jean... is absolutely not cool