Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How is the Rakarth skill that gives Kharybdis a breath attack? How do they fare against masses of infantry compared to war hydra? In campaign I've generally found hydra to be more useful but I'm hoping his skills make them worth a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
The quirks with how the end of turn is calculated can be really frustrating with the player always going first - usually it's just a minor inconvenience like the AI always getting a round of replenishment with newly conquered settlements or after losing a battle in their territory before you have a chance to act - but now Boris Toddbringer is trolling me by besieging Marienburg with several war wagons while the garrison and a full stack Black Ark are totally helpless in preventing him from pausing all construction and removing the income the last five turns. The admiral is shaking his fist from the deck as they trundle away yet again when the garrison pushes them off the siege. Rakarth is off on Ulthuan for god's sake! What a dick.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its real annoying with intervention armies in votrex, who will appear and lay siege between your turns and cause bankruptcy as when your capital is blockaded, you lose all trade income

the ai meanwhile gets to act before your interventions so they can do things to stop that

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Black Arks remain one of the coolest ideas CA has implemented into this game. Having a loving roving recruitment base/artillery platform/slave machine is great.

The changes they made to them a while back (around the time of Malus?) just made them SO much cooler. I'm glad Rakarth kind of lets you actually use them as intended, rather than getting bogged down in endless Naggaroth or Lustria hellmarches. Sailing an Ark down the Reik to sack Altdorf is amazing and exactly what I wanted when I first learned about them.

I hope we get the full loving world for the WH3 ME equivalent. I want to sail Black Arks around the entire god damned world. I want to sail west from Naggaroth and show up on the coasts of Cathay like "sup?". Just go loving big, CA.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

JT Jag posted:

If Nagash is a standard faction I'm not sure how much of a challenge it could provide for Chaos, considering it'd start in the Sniktch/Imrik/Grimgor/Dwarves thunderdome on the far east side of the map where Desolation of Nagash is now.

I would assume he’d start in one of the Warhammer 3 provinces (probably the tower of Nagash that’s over that way) but more importantly like playing the Warriors of Chaos he only exists from the start if you pick him. Otherwise he’d spawn as part of the Chaos endgame, or in general as an endgame thing like the Chaos Invasion.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I hope alliances will be more fun in the third game. Playing as Bretonnia I have armies helping dwarves in the south, Empire in the east and elves in the west. So far I haven't been able to actually fight alongside them. Either enemy armies are just out of reach or my allies gather their own reinforcements and attack without my troops.

Way back in the first game my Bretonnian cavalry force marched to the Empire's capital and helped defend it against several Chaos stacks. It's still the most memorable battle I've played in these games.

Maybe allied armies should just be allowed to merge under the player's control.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
My only experience with allies to date is sacking Kislev as Sigvald with Throt sending a massive rat army to help out. Felt good.

Since I've mostly played as Vampire Counts I'm used to the entire world hating me and never getting to use trade or alliances.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

its real annoying with intervention armies in votrex, who will appear and lay siege between your turns and cause bankruptcy as when your capital is blockaded, you lose all trade income

the ai meanwhile gets to act before your interventions so they can do things to stop that

The Wood Elves have the way those stupid vortex armies should have worked, but I doubt CA will ever go back and fix the base campaign.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Whats neat about fighting with allies in a co-op campaign is that both of you get your own Winds pool. Which is totally not OP.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

kiss me Pikachu posted:

The quirks with how the end of turn is calculated can be really frustrating with the player always going first - usually it's just a minor inconvenience like the AI always getting a round of replenishment with newly conquered settlements or after losing a battle in their territory before you have a chance to act - but now Boris Toddbringer is trolling me by besieging Marienburg with several war wagons while the garrison and a full stack Black Ark are totally helpless in preventing him from pausing all construction and removing the income the last five turns. The admiral is shaking his fist from the deck as they trundle away yet again when the garrison pushes them off the siege. Rakarth is off on Ulthuan for god's sake! What a dick.

I'm convinced the AI is not programmed to include a garrisoning Black Ark in it's strength estimation of a city, I also had way undersized stacks keep trying to besiege Marienburg and then instantly running when I tried to sally out with the Ark crew. The AI will never try to initiate a siege/fight it doesn't think it would win, so this isn't an intentional strategy but just a bug I'm pretty sure.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I find that in most games for most factions, I always end up recruiting some beefy melee lord early game to instantly bolster a garrison that's about to get attacked. Then after that battle, they get dismissed, but inevitably that situation will arise again and they come back. Usually they end up with a few skill points spent on personal melee abilities, maybe a basic set of spare items. For tougher battles, they get to insta-recruit all of the random RoR that I don't actually want or need to use in my normal armies. This sounds like the perfect scenario for Disposal Melee Lord That Guards Random Cities. Set him up in an ambush outside the city wall, or recruit a couple of units to support him while he goes and breaks down some war wagons for kindling, then dismiss him until needed again.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

We all knew it was going to happen: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2433540037

Rakarth gets a bunch more beasties here. Wyverns, Frost Wyrms, Rat Ogres, Brood Horrors, Vargheists, even loving Minotaurs.

I assume you'd need the relevant DLCs. I have no idea because I am a whore who has them all. Anyway, this is dope. The units are only available in campaign, not custom battle, for some reason. Regardless, MOAR MONSTARS!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

rakarth's voice acting is great and his big roster of monsters helps you not have to take some of the more boring dark elf units (im looking at you bleakswords)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Dark Elf line infantry are made of disappointment so any excuse not to use them is great.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The dark elf names just crack me up. Darkshards. Bleakswords. Depressionsharpsticks. Miserabledragons. Unhappychariots.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The dark elf names just crack me up. Darkshards. Bleakswords. Depressionsharpsticks. Miserabledragons. Unhappychariots.

You just don’t understand, Mom!!!! :emo:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Disillusionist posted:

My only experience with allies to date is sacking Kislev as Sigvald with Throt sending a massive rat army to help out. Felt good.

Since I've mostly played as Vampire Counts I'm used to the entire world hating me and never getting to use trade or alliances.

When playing Vampires, buddy up with Azagh or the Greenskins that hang out in Brettonia.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

When playing Vampires, buddy up with Azagh or the Greenskins that hang out in Brettonia.

I usually ally with Azhag and he gets wiped out by a combination of Drycha and Clan Gritus before doing anything of note.

I actually don't mind not having allies as VC, it seems lore-accurate and makes it easy to justify killing everyone I meet.

I've just played them for so long that now it seems weird having allies and trade partners in my DE campaign. Can't imagine what it's like playing as a proper Order faction.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try and make an alliance, although I'm pretty sure the Dwarves are all wiped out. Grimgor is at war with the border princes and Gelt along with two other minors in that area. I'll try and see where Kroq'gar is at as I haven't seen him yet.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Disillusionist posted:

I usually ally with Azhag and he gets wiped out by a combination of Drycha and Clan Gritus before doing anything of note.

I actually don't mind not having allies as VC, it seems lore-accurate and makes it easy to justify killing everyone I meet.

I've just played them for so long that now it seems weird having allies and trade partners in my DE campaign. Can't imagine what it's like playing as a proper Order faction.

I've been trying to make an anti-Ordertide but only Greenskins seem to be the ones willing to be my bros :drac::hf::orks101:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mean, who could be a better friend to an orc than someone who stands back up again no matter how hard you krump them

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Has anyone played the FLC Dark Elf Lord and do they anything that meaningfully sets them apart from them apart from the others? I figured they'd run out of Dark Elves when they added a guy named Bad Evilsword to the game but apparently there's more of these losers.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
He has easily the best starting position out of all DE Lords (right next to Ulthuan in Vortex, between Ulthuan and Old World in ME) that allows you him go kicking High Elf asses within first 10 turns, unlike every other DE LL, who either have to slog through like 50 turns of civil war in evil Not!Canada to be able to even look at Ulthuan or begin on the other side of the world. His unique mechanics is really simple and super fun (after winning battle, you have a chance to capture monsters, depending on climate and races you fight against, those monsters are then added to a pool and can be instantly recruited by any DE lord and those monsters include things like Mammoths, Carnosaurs, Dire Wolves, etc...). He personally is a pretty simple martial lord who buffs DE monsters, but he has access to a Black Dragon mount and has great voice acting that gives him a lot of character (and as a bonus, he starts really close to Sword of Khaine).

Overall, he is a great case study about how you don't need complex and expansive mechanics to make a really fun LL (compare to someone like Malus Darkblade who has like 3 unique things going for him and all of them suck). I personally consider him and Lokhar to be the best DE LLs (depending if you want to focus on loving up Ulthuan or going all in for Lustrian thunderdome, with both of them having an option to just gently caress off and be a pirate) and funnily enough, both of them were FLC.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 26, 2021

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

conversely you can beat the poo poo out of the orcs repeatedly and then make really goofy but strong alliances like with the dwarfs and then actually trade as vampires because every order faction loves you if you beat up orcs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still salty that Lokhir has to travel ten turns to get back to Karond Kar for his Red Blades and with how aggressive the AI is at confederating on higher difficulties difficulties chances are good that you will be facing much much stronger enemy up there to grab your gear.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

There was a point where the Dark Elves and High Elves were one race and there was just a bunch of guys named Edgy Deathknife, and no one at all could predict that they would someday turn evil.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Same PR team as Khorne. Bloodletters. Bloodcrushers. Bloodthirsters. Skulltakers. Skullgrinder. Bloodmaster. Bloodreavers. Skullreapers. Deathbringer with Skullhammer.

Mantis42 posted:

There was a point where the Dark Elves and High Elves were one race and there was just a bunch of guys named Edgy Deathknife, and no one at all could predict that they would someday turn evil.

:allears:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zaphod42 posted:

Same PR team as Khorne. Bloodletters. Bloodcrushers. Bloodthirsters. Skulltakers. Skullgrinder. Bloodmaster. Bloodreavers. Skullreapers. Deathbringer with Skullhammer.

:allears:

Don't forget

THE BLOODSECRATOR

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Bloodbound Bloodskulls of Bloodboner

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Finished my Rakarth campaign on hard, definitely my most smooth campaign. Never came up against anything remotely threatening.

Think I'm going to do Imrik on hard next, hopefully I don't get crushed early on. I've gotten a lot better since I last tried him on normal though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Imrik is fantastic. If you nail the breaths and magic casts it's pretty easy to get 1000 kills against the rats.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

AKA a good start.

Dwarf Named Magnus
Jul 27, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

"Wow, I can't believe someone named Malekith would try to usurp the throne. :(" - Alyrarion Sparklemane

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sometimes I still randomly say out loud to myself "khorne bloodblade bloodbound warband"

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
It's not widely known but Khorne is also the chaos god of consistent branding, he puts in blood, skulls or death in every one of his followers and weapons to ensure cross-franchise synergy and ensuring that when you hear blood, you think Khorne.

The other gods caught on relatively recently but all of Slaanesh's names have been censored and Tzeentch can't stop making up new names for everything.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Dwarf Named Magnus posted:

"Wow, I can't believe someone named Malekith would try to usurp the throne. :(" - Alyrarion Sparklemane

Malekith is a perfectly normal name given to him by his perfectly normal mother... Morathi.

Playing through a rakarth campaign made me purchase dlc and now I'm playing Eltharion. Feels like a good follow up since it's fantastic foes and where to kidnap them

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 27, 2021

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Khornes greatest secret fear is facing a race of amorphous slime monsters who have no skulls or blood.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Sedisp posted:

Malekith is a perfectly normal name given to him by his perfectly normal mother... Morathi.

Playing through a rakarth campaign made me purchase dlc and now I'm playing Eltharion. Feels like a good follow up since it's fantastic foes and where to kidnap them

So...I couldn't help but notice you named your kid "Evil Cousin". I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but should we be worried?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Has anyone played the FLC Dark Elf Lord and do they anything that meaningfully sets them apart from them apart from the others? I figured they'd run out of Dark Elves when they added a guy named Bad Evilsword to the game but apparently there's more of these losers.

I really wish there was a high elf called Bonus Brightbow or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm still salty that Lokhir has to travel ten turns to get back to Karond Kar for his Red Blades and with how aggressive the AI is at confederating on higher difficulties difficulties chances are good that you will be facing much much stronger enemy up there to grab your gear.
Didnt they add a dilemma for him to confederate Karond Kar once he gets enough slaves with the Rakarth patch?