Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CYBEReris posted:

it's just kinda a funny-insensitive take, it's like if you were looking at a Seven Samurai inspired film written by Japanese writers and derided it for being too similar to Django Unchained

The concept was being developed within Disney before those writers came onboard though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ash Crimson posted:

its incredibly important to actually go outside every now and then
Thankfully twitter has a mobile app

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

MiddleOne posted:

Also lol at chiding anyone for leaving an online discussion (especially on Twitter) where both parties have already stated and elaborated on their positions. Sometimes people disagree and sometimes there is no agreement.

That's the problem, she was unwilling to take the L and let it lie. Just had to "defend" herself.
And like... was the YA author more using her posts as a springboard to talk about an issue that she's clearly wanted to dig into for a while? Yes
Is that something Lindsay Ellis needed to "defend" herself against? NO!! Just loving let people vent and talk about an issue! It has nothing to do with you!
But instead it's the ol' double down.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Considering what happened to Contrapoints, Lindsay Ellis will probably be fine.
I guess I could have seen it coming ever since she defended Natalie the first time around, and its disappointing
But its not the greatest evil in the world unlike what twitter wants it to be.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CmdrKing posted:

That's the problem, she was unwilling to take the L and let it lie. Just had to "defend" herself.
And like... was the YA author more using her posts as a springboard to talk about an issue that she's clearly wanted to dig into for a while? Yes
Is that something Lindsay Ellis needed to "defend" herself against? NO!! Just loving let people vent and talk about an issue! It has nothing to do with you!
But instead it's the ol' double down.

Quote Retweet strikes again. :suicide:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pachylad posted:

Looking through Mara's other liked tweets, looks like she does indeed have a bone to pick with Lindsay :stare:

https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/1375692022405767171

https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/1375693170437066752

I think she did an 'ah poo poo' moment and from some tweets I remember seeing she got a lot of poo poo from Snyder fans about it so she conflated all the criticism as bad-faith for that. I think that was one of the times she took a sabbatical from Twitter.

Well it was some spectacularly bad timing because the following morning Zack announced he was stepping down from JL because of a family tragedy, so that threw a poo poo ton of gasoline on the fire where fans thought she said that as a response to the news, which just turbocharged the whole thing from a clusterfuck to a shittoornado.

The proper thing to do of course, again, would have been to apologize, but the quote from her about how demanding apologies is a form of control puts things in perspective.

Like yeah there's gonna be bad faith trolls that just want to get their pound of flesh, but the apology isn't for them, and refusing to apologize out of spite for a genuine mistake is plenty hosed up on its own. And I've found you get a lot of good will if you apologize instead of making mealmouthed excuses about how actually you're too good to apologise

I'm sure she's gonna be fine and brush this off, but this was entirely self inflicted imo

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Specially given that one of the posts a bit after she dropped that was something on the grounds of "Yeah I have a big rear end audience here and that was a pretty hosed up post", I think even she was like "Yeah you both have a point, I'm still gonna take a break".

Given the Mara stuff however? I get the feeling we're gonna see less "You Ungrateful Proles!!!!" crap these days.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Day9 plays some MTG drafts(8 people get 3 packs each, pick 1 card and pass the pack to the next person, repeat until all cards/packs are gone, then try to build a 40-card deck using the 45 cards they've picked + any lands they need, imo the best way to play magic), gets an absurd(for draft) build the first video, and goes for a turbojank all colors build the second video based on getting a card that he never even sees in all but the last game he plays with the deck. It's a good time all around.

also, it has this clip with Despy, his cat, who is unusually chatty this time. it's extremely cute: https://clips.twitch.tv/MiniatureBelovedCrowRuleFive-p7dIW5v2XdsihnX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38JNQLf7IlQ&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJBgr79RHhY&hd=1

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i see we’ve moved into the “posting rumors that i heard from a friend of a friend who listens to a podcast” and “characterizing contextless snippets of old content in the worst possible light to prove this person should have been called out a long time ago” phase of Twitter backlash

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

QuoProQuid posted:

i see we’ve moved into the “posting rumors that i heard from a friend of a friend who listens to a podcast” and “characterizing contextless snippets of old content in the worst possible light to prove this person should have been called out a long time ago” phase of Twitter backlash

Doesn't Mara, the person in question upvoting said tweets kinda prove it? That's not really the same thing. "I hear from a friend of a friend" and "The person in question liked the tweet talking about her experience" is 2 different things

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm still reeling from learning that Ben Shaprio is Mara Wilson's cousin.

Like holy crap, that's a massive political stance divide between parts of the family. Turkey day must have be a real hoot.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Jamie Faith posted:

Doesn't Mara, the person in question upvoting said tweets kinda prove it? That's not really the same thing. "I hear from a friend of a friend" and "The person in question liked the tweet talking about her experience" is 2 different things

i guess I don’t like playing detective around coy Twitter interactions. if Mara wants to say “hey, lindsay was biphobic” then i would encourage her to post that instead of liking a tweet about a woman hearing from friends that Lindsay isn’t nice in person and that she may be the person Mara referenced in a podcast

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

You've seen the latest posts right? Picture that stuff being shot directly at someone who was very, very vocal on how weird the Hollywood inside world can be.

Jimbot posted:

Like holy crap, that's a massive political stance divide between parts of the family. Turkey day must have be a real hoot.

https://twitter.com/_danbe/status/1375158579821445131

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 27, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Is lindsey paying you and when did those payments start

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

i guess I don’t like playing detective around coy Twitter interactions. if Mara wants to say “hey, lindsay was biphobic” then i would encourage her to post that instead of liking a tweet about a woman hearing from friends that Lindsay isn’t nice in person and that she may be the person Mara referenced in a podcast

I mean Mara is free to interact however she sees fit, it's not her responsibility to air these things out in a proper decorum-y way, especially not if she's the one that was mistreated.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
More people need to serve a tour in retail so they can learn that it's actually really easy to apologize even if you don't mean it. Sorry is just a word and lying kicks rear end.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grunch Worldflower posted:

More people need to serve a tour in retail so they can learn that it's actually really easy to apologize even if you don't mean it. Sorry is just a word and lying kicks rear end.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jamie Faith posted:

Indeed. I would rate "I hear from a friend of a friend" at about 200% more reliability when compared to "some person liked a tweet", it's 2 different things all right

(they're both poo poo and should taken at the very least with a full kilogram of salt)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Libluini posted:

Indeed. I would rate "I hear from a friend of a friend" at about 200% more reliability when compared to "some person liked a tweet", it's 2 different things all right

(they're both poo poo and should taken at the very least with a full kilogram of salt)

"some person" is literally the person in question. lmao Is this a bit or something? Someone said Lindsay Ellis was biphobic to Mara Wilson. Then Mara Wilson herself liked the tweet and a ton of other, similar ones. If you can't figure this out, I don't know what to tell ya.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
Liking/retweeting stuff like that is also just a common twitter way of saying it without saying it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Liking/retweeting stuff like that is also just a common twitter way of saying it without saying it.

Right. Like there is literally no reason to like that tweet unless it was true. Like maybe some irony poisoned people like bad/false tweets "ironically" or whatever but there's no way a celebrity like Mara is doing that.

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 27, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Ronald Reagan's son Ronald Reagan is a liberal.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Well, apparently I know nothing about Twitter jargon, so I bow out of this discussion before digging deeper.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ronald Reagan's son Ronald Reagan is a liberal.

That I knew, which is still pretty amazing. Would even be more of a sting if he were an union organizer.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Jimbot posted:

That I knew, which is still pretty amazing. Would even be more of a sting if he were an union organizer.

I mean, Ronald Reagan was a union leader (SAG) before he became president, so he'd be following in his father's footsteps.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

loving :same:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The AI in Metal Gear Solid 2 that wanted to drown and isolate humanity in a stream of information and memes that confirm their own worldviews was right all along.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

"I wanna speak to the manager, you should be fired because the product I want is out of stock"

Yeah, retail's awesome.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jamie Faith posted:

"some person" is literally the person in question. lmao Is this a bit or something? Someone said Lindsay Ellis was biphobic to Mara Wilson. Then Mara Wilson herself liked the tweet and a ton of other, similar ones. If you can't figure this out, I don't know what to tell ya.

It’s gossip. If Mara Wilson wants to post on twitter that when she was in college a friend-enemy of hers said something catty to her and she finds it memorable or hurtful to some degree even now and names the friend, then that would be more than gossip. But there are probably reasons she hasn’t done that, one of which being that people don’t generally find it worthwhile to air their teenage/college-age dirty laundry because that’s kind of petty and pointless.

Like, do we care now how somebody behaved in private when they were 22? NYU probably produced a lot of interactions like that 2000-2010, between people who were at the time probably pretty insufferable to be around. If you discovered incontrovertible proof that Lindsay Ellis was a Mean Girl in college, is that really worth your attention?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So... Jim Stephanie Stearling did an interview about their comming out as NB.

https://youtu.be/XGglZ8SnAPY

If I could post that gif of Danny Glover comming home with pizza, I would.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s gossip. If Mara Wilson wants to post on twitter that when she was in college a friend-enemy of hers said something catty to her and she finds it memorable or hurtful to some degree even now and names the friend, then that would be more than gossip. But there are probably reasons she hasn’t done that, one of which being that people don’t generally find it worthwhile to air their teenage/college-age dirty laundry because that’s kind of petty and pointless.

Like, do we care now how somebody behaved in private when they were 22? NYU probably produced a lot of interactions like that 2000-2010, between people who were at the time probably pretty insufferable to be around. If you discovered incontrovertible proof that Lindsay Ellis was a Mean Girl in college, is that really worth your attention?

This wasn't back in college, this was recent. They were friends until around 2016/1017 I believe. And yeah I would want to know if the content creator I'm watching and supporting is a biphobic rear end in a top hat. :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if it wasn’t worth your attention none of it would.

You either care about your content creators life or you don’t.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if it wasn’t worth your attention none of it would.

You either care about your content creators life or you don’t.

I care. I think Lindsay is terminally online and said/says a lot of dumb poo poo. I think she should actually work through that stuff with people but I also don’t think she is a purposeful malicious person. I don’t blame her for looking on twitter because she is gonna get declared Excommunicate Traitoris no matter what actually sticks. I also think there is a thing of Lindsay is kinda of personality wise an rear end in a top hat/abrasive so she doesn’t keep friends long and tends to burn bridges easy which doesn’t help you when the tallys start getting read aloud.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 27, 2021

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jamie Faith posted:

This wasn't back in college, this was recent. They were friends until around 2016/1017 I believe. And yeah I would want to know if the content creator I'm watching and supporting is a biphobic rear end in a top hat. :shrug:
There is also the stuff that went down that lead to Kyle Kallagren and Jourdain Searles falling out with Lindsey so this is all not isolated

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CYBEReris posted:

it's just kinda a funny-insensitive take, it's like if you were looking at a Seven Samurai inspired film written by Japanese writers and derided it for being too similar to Django Unchained

it’s a Disney Animated Studios movie that was conceived, written, and directed by white people in California and POC were brought on later to “touch up” the story. It sticks very close to the established formula and aesthetic for Disney Animated Studios productions. And, much like Avatar the Last Airbender, it uses an amalgamation of various Asian cultures as a backdrop for a story that is firmly rooted in western hero’s journey tropes. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of that but it’s very silly to equate Raya and the Last Dragon to Kurosawa. It’s a Disney movie.

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 27, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
anyone who's tea reading twitter likes desperately needs to go outside

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

FYI they tend to pop on people's feeds by default, and given most people who follow one tend to follow the other, there's a good chance those got boosted. The weird defense just feels very Frank Derbin-esque.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

anyone who's tea reading twitter likes desperately needs to go outside

like, there's a pretty big gulf between using twitter likes to determine someone's true heart and soul and seeing someone like something that is about themselves and saying "yeah that's probably not just a lie then"

I probably wouldn't go around liking a bunch of lies about myself if I was twitter famous, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Lindsay had no reason to apologize. Her tweet was sort of silly at worst and in no way deserved the torrent of AS AN ACTUAL BONA FIDE ASIAN PERSON OF ASIAN ETHNICITY AND BACKGROUND