Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Kinda depends on how sharp the instrument is, I've cut myself with Razors and My own Knives and not noticed until I saw blood or rubbed it against something. Getting cut with a dull knife where it tears the skin loving hurts like hell.
A broken bottle to the face feels like a dull knife cut plus now there's tiny jagged bits of broken glass all up in the cut. And glass in your mouth and hair and up your nose and down your shirt. And oops now the guy who's kicking your rear end is grinding splinters of glass into your arm while he grabs at you so he can hit you harder.

Also if you're lucky you're sweating and crying the whole time so all of your cuts burn like a motherfucker. Anyone who claims they enjoyed a bar fight is a goddamn dork even if they honestly believe their own bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Not trying to argue about this, was too drunk anyway to remember much detail. Definitely did not enjoy it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Citizens should not be doing violence against each other.

As that is destruction of State property.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Internet tough guy talk is always a losing proposition

Either you are lying about being a tough guy which makes you a sad dork

Or you are not lying, making you an adult who likes talking about fighting, making you an extremely sad dork

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Internet tough guy talk is always a losing proposition

Either you are lying about being a tough guy which makes you a sad dork

Or you are not lying, making you an adult who likes talking about fighting, making you an extremely sad dork

Are you forgetting what forum you're posting on?
Something Awful has always been a bunch of dorks.
Sometimes mean dorks, sometimes smart dorks, sometimes downright moronic dorks, but dorks none the less.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

kupachek posted:

Are you forgetting what forum you're posting on?
Something Awful has always been a bunch of dorks.
Sometimes mean dorks, sometimes smart dorks, sometimes downright moronic dorks, but dorks none the less.

That's true

But most of us don't pretend otherwise

Also talking about fights I have caught exactly one beating as an adult and did not present myself well because I did not know what it was like getting punched by a man-sized fist from someone genuinely trying to hurt me

PHOU: Everyone should get for-real punched in the face by someone they trust as an adult because it is nothing like fights you got in as a kid and it makes a person freeze up instead of doing something cool

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd just like to point out I wasn't bragging about fighting or anything. I just think people that deserve rear end kickings should catch them once in their life. I used a flippant example, so deserve the ridicule for it.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd just like to point out I wasn't bragging about fighting or anything. I just think people that deserve rear end kickings should catch them once in their life. I used a flippant example, so deserve the ridicule for it.

Honestly I think we all can agree that people who deserve rear end kickings should get them. Part of the problem here is that your examples of "people who deserve rear end kickings" seem to include innocent school children randomly selected by the resident psychopath, and people at bars being loud/rude near an insane drunk person.

Had your examples been Nazis and people who post like Solice Kirsk, the rest of us would gladly join in on the bottlesmacking.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think every child should get hit in the head with a broken bottle at one point in their life, since broken bottles are smooth like sharks and can do no damage

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i have never been in a fight, and i don't think being in one would add anything to my life

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Or you are not lying, making you an adult who likes talking about fighting

and yet 100 times cooler than any adult who unrionically watches boxing or ufc fights

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

everyone i know who is into MMA is a short guy. it's a sport popular among little buggers

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm 6'3 and used to follow MMA closely, less so now. There is a cool fight today tho, Stipe Miocic vs Francis Ngannou for the heavyweight belt. Might even bet on it and watch it live tho that would mean staying awake till 6 am or so.

However I do everything rionically, whether it's eating rear end, drinking beer, or watching MMA, so in the clear there.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
mma and boxing are just very brutal and thuggish, in a sense all sports are, fulfilling our desire to dominate and overpower but actually watching 2 guys earnestly trying to knock each other unconscious makes me feel very unsettled

edit: i'm also 5'4

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Sports, and e-sports too, in general are about domination, one side attempting to defeat the other. They are simulated war. Battling for supremacy. MMA strips away most of the pretence, and that's why it makes people uncomfortable.

Even boxing has a lot of rules that separate it from the actual contest, very hard to care about a boxing match after mostly watching MMA, it just looks so artificial with the clinching to ref break, the huge gloves, etc.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've watched a lot more MMA than I would have ever cared for - back before co-vid some of the friends I'd hang out with would have it on at their house and every single MMA fight seemed to be either 3 minutes of tussling followed by one guy straddling the other OR someone being kicked in the face within 10 seconds and being knocked flat unconscious, either way it was not exciting

so i'm not just being a negative nancy i'll double barrel this post by sharing my favourite sporting moment of all time - this is not clickbait or me attempting to me funny and most posters here will probably find this uninteresting but I remember watching this live , I had a £2.50 bet on the player who scores to score the winning goal which won me £50 so its horrendously biased but this to me is something you just couldn't match in a combat sport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km_9ntw05pw

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
MMA wear will make me avoid a person second only to football wear or progressive metal t-shirts. They're like the bright colours on poisonous frogs.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Like any sport you need to be into it care about what's happening or it will be just boring. Everyone in Finland loves ice hockey, I don't.

Hockey has weird meta-rules about fighting btw, it's technically not allowed but still expected, and you wont get banned for life and criminally charged for it. Imagine if in tennis you just walked over and started punching the other player when he did something you didn't like.

Agreed on the mma wear. How do you feel about ug death metal shirts?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

doverhog posted:

Like any sport you need to be into it care about what's happening or it will be just boring. Everyone in Finland loves ice hockey, I don't.

Hockey has weird meta-rules about fighting btw, it's technically not allowed but still expected, and you wont get banned for life and criminally charged for it. Imagine if in tennis you just walked over and started punching the other player when he did something you didn't like.

Agreed on the mma wear. How do you feel about ug death metal shirts?

UG death metal can be punk approximate so the people can be chill, but any conversation I've had with a prog-metal type has revealed them to be a capital "G" Gamer or Libertarian within the hour.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

Hockey has weird meta-rules about fighting btw, it's technically not allowed but still expected, and you wont get banned for life and criminally charged for it.

The only exception is if you try and use anything but your hands. McSorley got criminally charged+banned (technically a suspension but he never played in the NHL again) for bonking that guy on the head with his stick. Kind of one-sided to be called a fight though tbh.

I hope they never truly ban fighting from hockey though. It's exciting and can swing momentum in a game, and is a good deterrent of the other team going after your fragile good players. Also it's relatively rare they actually even land a good punch let alone injure each other.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Mar 27, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sports being pseudo-war actually rules. When France won the World Cup in 2018 I belted out La Marseillaise at my roommates and it felt so loving good, especially after all these american fuckers had made jokes and jokes about the awful 2014 France-Germany game. Only time in my life I've ever enjoyed saying a national anthem.

All the fun of war but without the horrible parts.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The reason we're so attached to that is, as The Lego movie wisely told us, everything is awesome everything is cool when you're part of a team.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the only sports i like are those where its just one person performing a feat of endurance or strength. i dont care about it if its just 2 teams but i like it if its man vs nature

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the olympic games should just be the original sports they did in ancient greece, performed nude

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

the olympic games should just be the original sports they did in ancient greece, performed nude

:hai:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

If accounts are to be believed then the Olympics is a giant orgy, so the athletes are nude all the time except for during the actual events.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

mma and boxing are just very brutal and thuggish, in a sense all sports are, fulfilling our desire to dominate and overpower but actually watching 2 guys earnestly trying to knock each other unconscious makes me feel very unsettled

edit: i'm also 5'4

Boxing is basically full-contact meditation. You’re very in the moment when someone is trying to punch you in the face, the same way you’re in the moment when you’re driving an ambulance lights and sirens or in basically any other high-pressure high-risk activity. Karl Marlantes wrote a really good bit about it but I don’t have it handy.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

christmas boots posted:

I think every child should get hit in the head with a broken bottle at one point in their life, since broken bottles are smooth like sharks and can do no damage

Would you say your phuo is that child abuse is good actually?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Astrofig posted:

Spare the bottle, spoil the child?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Boxing is basically full-contact meditation. You’re very in the moment when someone is trying to punch you in the face, the same way you’re in the moment when you’re driving an ambulance lights and sirens or in basically any other high-pressure high-risk activity. Karl Marlantes wrote a really good bit about it but I don’t have it handy.
then you get punched Cte! No.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Sports being pseudo-war actually rules. When France won the World Cup in 2018 I belted out La Marseillaise at my roommates and it felt so loving good, especially after all these american fuckers had made jokes and jokes about the awful 2014 France-Germany game. Only time in my life I've ever enjoyed saying a national anthem.

All the fun of war but without the horrible parts.

I refuse to believe any American ever gave a single poo poo about a soccer game.

doverhog posted:

Sports, and e-sports too, in general are about domination, one side attempting to defeat the other. They are simulated war. Battling for supremacy. MMA strips away most of the pretense, and that's why it makes people uncomfortable.

Even boxing has a lot of rules that separate it from the actual contest, very hard to care about a boxing match after mostly watching MMA, it just looks so artificial with the clinching to ref break, the huge gloves, etc.

MMA is imo boring as poo poo, I loving hate watching grappling especially when they ban all the really dangerous grapples so you end up watching two guys wriggling on the ground for five minutes.

Boxing is super fun to watch but is almost inscrutable at a higher level unless you watched it for years, and the sport has been cannibalizing itself for decades with how it's set up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wrestling is way better than any actual fighting sport because there's a story and the people are trying not to hurt each other and sometimes they do cool flips and other times there's a wizard or a ghost or something.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't see how causing another person pain is a problem, they both signed up for it, and they can quit whenever they want.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Astrofig posted:

There’s no abuse. Broken bottles are smooth like sharks and cannot physically harm them.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
In the nicest way possible - if someone follows wrestling as a child and carries it forward into adulthood they may have issues. Maybe not they probably just really like wrestling but also its a bit weird for an adult to care about who wins wrestlemania no?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I still don't understand where the smooth sharks meme came from.

Gaius Marius posted:

I refuse to believe any American ever gave a single poo poo about a soccer game.

The US in 2014 was fairly prominent iirc. The goal keeper had that big beard and everyone loved him.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the return of beards in the late 2000s was really unfortunate. i would like to see a return to clean shaven culture

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Shibawanko posted:

the return of beards in the late 2000s was really unfortunate. i would like to see a return to clean shaven culture

Maybe try getting a job.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Poohs Packin posted:

Maybe try getting a job.

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

so you end up watching two guys wriggling on the ground for five minutes.

Yeah this is almost every MMA fight I've ever watched and it makes MMA a surprisingly boring spectator sport.