Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cafe Barbarian posted:

I'm not a Tina fan and I'm glad she's gone, but I thought she won the lipsync. Utica has some talent imo but the weirdness mostly misses the mark and there's not much range there, it's just the same thing every week. compare to sasha velour or sharon needles the previous weird winners and utica comes up short except in the sewing dept.

LMAO

What are you watching this on - your iphone? Are you blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Utica's looks have been really fun and I actually thought the Bob Ross squirrel thing was neat in a really deranged way. (Even if the thinking behind it was deeply flawed).

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Vintersorg posted:

LMAO

What are you watching this on - your iphone? Are you blind?

The act is the same. Sorry you feel the need to be a poo poo. I did say sewing is her strongest area.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I don't know if they just didn't air it, but Utica really should have mentioned how Bob Ross had a bunch of squirrels he featured on his show to make the squirrel afro make a bit more sense. If she did mention it, well it's not the first time the show has used shady editing to make a lanky fashionable queen look like they were out of their mind.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the squirrel wig was great but white people can have afros without it being appropriation imo

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Utica being hypersensitive to race mere months after the summer of Floyd is a good thing, and directly paid off almost immediately afterward with the Symone lookswap.

I think she’s great because her utter ridiculousness doesn’t come off as contrived to me, every choice she makes makes perfect sense to her in her mind and that’s charming

I’d like to see Kandy go before she does but even if she gets sent home this ep at least she’s picked up a lot of fans (and none of the toxicity that the fanbase often brings) from her time on the show

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

also sasha would have folded to shea if she didn’t press lp lp ➡️ lk hp and spend three bars of meter for Rosepetal Rain during the finale lipsync

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

MizuZero posted:

also sasha would have folded to shea if she didn’t press lp lp ➡️ lk hp and spend three bars of meter for Rosepetal Rain during the finale lipsync

Ah, the Shin Shun Cucu Satsu!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

MizuZero posted:

Well now I want a Street Fighter style Drag Race fighting game.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

MizuZero posted:

Utica being hypersensitive to race mere months after the summer of Floyd is a good thing, and directly paid off almost immediately afterward with the Symone lookswap.

I think she’s great because her utter ridiculousness doesn’t come off as contrived to me, every choice she makes makes perfect sense to her in her mind and that’s charming

I’d like to see Kandy go before she does but even if she gets sent home this ep at least she’s picked up a lot of fans (and none of the toxicity that the fanbase often brings) from her time on the show

It was funny to see Utica go from worrying about afros to imitating Alexis Mateo's accent 2 episodes later.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cafe Barbarian posted:

The act is the same. Sorry you feel the need to be a poo poo. I did say sewing is her strongest area.

Be more clear next time or this will happen.

PS I disagree.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cafe Barbarian posted:

The act is the same.

The act? As in her character? Would you give the same critique to any of the queens out there?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I haven't seen anyone criticize her Bob Ross for the most important reason, which is it's the motherfuckin' Snatch Game. If you're gonna do a man, they should be a camp icon preferably with a connection to queer culture.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just made myself sad thinking how we'll probably never see anyone do Liberace, since even if an older queen gets on the show they rarely make it to SG.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

gandlethorpe posted:

Just made myself sad thinking how we'll probably never see anyone do Liberace, since even if an older queen gets on the show they rarely make it to SG.

Sorry, you're only getting instagram stars.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

I haven't seen anyone criticize her Bob Ross for the most important reason, which is it's the motherfuckin' Snatch Game. If you're gonna do a man, they should be a camp icon preferably with a connection to queer culture.
I think that performance would have been an easy safe if she'd gotten the voice right, even if everything else was identical (except maybe the wig), but she sounded like Foghorn Leghorn on Quaaludes which wut.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

spite house posted:

I think that performance would have been an easy safe if she'd gotten the voice right, even if everything else was identical (except maybe the wig), but she sounded like Foghorn Leghorn on Quaaludes which wut.

I was very excited at the concept of a Bob Ross Snatch Game, but that performance wasn't it. I doubt anyone else will try doing him in the future, but I was so hopeful that Utica could... :smith:

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Nihonniboku posted:

The act? As in her character? Would you give the same critique to any of the queens out there?

Not sure if it's worth talking further but I will try to clarify. Utica to me is always trying to find a provocative, intriguing take on the challenges and runways, but not succeeding. It just doesn't connect very well. I think this awkward and offputting impression is the same each week. I cant think of a time this season when Utica made me laugh in a non-cringing way.

The queens I mentioned, Sasha and Sharon, both did a great job of fitting their drag personas into a variety of challenges while maintaining their unique perspectives. I think that the queens that win the show either demonstrate more breadth in their character and abilities (like Sharon who could step outside of the goth style when necessary) or have a core persona that is so likeable that it works with every challenge (Bob or Bianca). Utica has, if anything, a core persona that works in none of the challenges but gets saved by the nice runways. The Bob Ross performance is the perfect example - not funny, awkward, offputting...almost menacing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cafe Barbarian posted:

Not sure if it's worth talking further but I will try to clarify.

I get what you're saying. I said a couple pages back that she just really needs an editor. Which is why she worked with Symone so well. You're right, on her own, a lot of what she's going for, I get, but it just falls flat.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I loved this Mini Challenge.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Pinwiz11 posted:

I loved this Mini Challenge.

Me too!

Aaaaaaand Twitter is fuming at Utica right now, and it seems like rightfully so.

She is making multiple fat jokes about the guest judge (Loni Love) and it's rather uncomfortable.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

Me too!

Aaaaaaand Twitter is fuming at Utica right now, and it seems like rightfully so.

She is making multiple fat jokes about the guest judge (Loni Love) and it's rather uncomfortable.

Yeah that whole segment was exceptionally uncomfortable.

Maxi challenge:
holy poo poo Utica bombed so badly. She made Roxxxy’s attempt at a roast look good

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I thought Utica's Rupaul joke ("Rupaul, you're such a fashion icon...could you stand up for us, please?") was :O in the best way, though.

For those that don't know a little behind-the-scenes, when at the judge's table, Rupaul is allegedly generally only glammed from the waist up and changes into sweatpants, etc for the judging sections.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Holy poo poo this was the best episode of Drag Race ever I think

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

MizuZero posted:

Posts That Aged Well

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Instead of watching tonights episode since I'm burnt out on this season, I'm watching season 1 since free on Prime Video and I've never seen it. I am now super kicking myself for not watching it earlier.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

The mute button was very necessary this ep due to cringe during the roast. Not complaining, it comes with the territory.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I forgot how many queens talked back in the early seasons. I kind of miss it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Well that was a wild ride

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I was iffy on Utica before (I don't think drag race should be any kind of a platform for a notoriously homophobic religious sect) but was starting to appreciate her more. This episode killed it for me. Her jokes weren't funny, and Michelle and Lonnie straight up told her she was just being mean and not doing a roast... and she just rolled right along with it regardless. It changed my impression of her entirely.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well no poo poo Kandy wins at roasting - it was pretty funny and well deserved though. We already know our top 4 based on everything tonight so Zzz. I am nearly checked the gently caress out but will stick around to see who wins this.

Christ Utica was bad though - beyond terrible. Yikes. I FFW'd through the lipsync cause I frankly did not give a poo poo. It would have been more interesting with Olivia down there. Like - no poo poo Utica will lose against Symone.

E: Utica had a good sincere apology and Nina West ofc there to save the day - shes the best.

You can say anything - just make it funny. A shame, was looking forward to more of her amazing runways.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 27, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

It was her time to go, but calling out Ru's sweatpants and giving her a double finger before leaving was some capital-N Nerve. Tammie has got to be the last queen to be so iconic.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vintersorg posted:

Nina West ofc there to save the day - shes the best.

Best at non consensual foot licking maybe!

E: Utica definitely deserved to go home and it was super awkward watching someone who doesn't do shade turning out just mean. Really weird that people are coming after her for making fun of weight directly when weight shaming is like part and parcel of Drag Race circa Season 1, they're just more cute about it even though the entire joke boils down to "lol ur fat"

Eej fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 27, 2021

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And Rosé finishes the entire thing by saying Kandy is a roast (pig/cow). I think the Utica cow joke could have landed better in more skilled hands.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Speaking of fatshaming, I really wish they'd lose the loving tic tac gag

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

subpar anachronism posted:

Speaking of fatshaming, I really wish they'd lose the loving tic tac gag
Yeah as someone who went through years of ED, that’s always kind of been a dontjokeaboutthat.gif for me.

Utica honey. Oh Jesus. Gross.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
That episode proved me wrong. Even with an editor, Utica still couldn't understand the critiques she was giving. There was a moment at the end of the lipsync where Symone made one of her signature funny faces that set the judges laughing. Utica thought the laughter was for her, and got the biggest grin on her face. She just lives in her own world. Jesus christ that was a cringe performance.

Kandy, props to her to her win. I'm not sure she performed as well as the judges said she did, but I did laugh at a couple of her jokes. At least she has an argument for being in the top 4 now.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Kandy also looked gorgeous! Her makeup was so soft and pretty, and her body was looking RIGHT.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

subpar anachronism posted:

I was iffy on Utica before (I don't think drag race should be any kind of a platform for a notoriously homophobic religious sect)

hey what's this about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

punishedkissinger posted:

hey what's this about?

Utica's a Seventh Day Adventist, I think it was only mentioned during the "meet the Loser's Circle" episode.

Utica's definitely unique, but I did like their attitude about the LSFYLs: It's a chance to do what they love to do and consequences be dammed. It was so nice to see someone refreshed after the experience instead of "omg I'm beaten down but I'm glad I survived".