Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I landed on this thread because one of you made the mistake about talking about third party retro consoles club on the vita thread. I landed on the vita thread due to the nintendo homebrew thread. I am on a mission...

I'm looking for something that will do emulation (I mostly play shmups/bullet hell so the systems I play are wide and varied), will play video, will play audio with good sound, has a pretty screen, and will fit in my nosferatu-esque claws. If it happens to be android based, bonus points if it's de-googled. I don't care if it has any network capabilities. Do any of these whizbang gadgets fall into some intersection of the above?

At the moment, I use my phone with an 8bitdo controller and it works well enough but I suspect it could be done better if the controller and screen were one device.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

knuthgrush posted:

I'm looking for something that will do emulation (I mostly play shmups/bullet hell so the systems I play are wide and varied), will play video, will play audio with good sound, has a pretty screen, and will fit in my nosferatu-esque claws. If it happens to be android based, bonus points if it's de-googled. I don't care if it has any network capabilities. Do any of these whizbang gadgets fall into some intersection of the above?

I've only started researching these devices myself, and just ordered a RG351V, but from my research it depends on what all you want to emulate, and what your priorities are. AFAIK most of these systems all run on Retroarch, and can handle most things up to the PSX era, some N64 with difficulty, nothing really beyond that. Retroarch can technically play video and audio with its FFMPEG plugin, but it'd be playing individual files like you would a rom, not a terribly useful interface. I've not heard of any of them having a good video/music player with a particularly usable UI, but then, you already have a phone, so why not keep using it for that? It's not like you need a controller for those functions.

The Retroid Pocket 2 can dual-boot into Android, but I don't know about de-googleification. You should be able to install whatever APKs you want, but keep in mind it doesn't have a touch screen.

See the OP for the recommended devices, but if your heart's set on it as a media player also, I think you're out of luck there.

Edit: Also, to add something to this thread; the anbernic devices look really good but need like one or two extra buttons for misc things in Retroarch. After searching and searching I finally found this "NanoButton" at https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade/nanobutton/, but it's costing me a whopping $56 shipped for two, and it's USB A so it'll be jutting out with an adapter. I don't suppose anyone knows of a similar device that's USB C?

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 25, 2021

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Awesome, thanks! I figured playing media would be an issue. I already have a pretty good mp3 player running RockBox and I can keep the phone for video so that should work out just fine.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

zzMisc posted:

Edit: Also, to add something to this thread; the anbernic devices look really good but need like one or two extra buttons for misc things in Retroarch. After searching and searching I finally found this "NanoButton" at https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade/nanobutton/, but it's costing me a whopping $56 shipped for two, and it's USB A so it'll be jutting out with an adapter. I don't suppose anyone knows of a similar device that's USB C?

what "misc things" are those? i haven't come across anything i can't do in retroarch on the 351 but i'm not exactly a power user

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

knuthgrush posted:

I mostly play shmups/bullet hell
Ignoring your Nosferatu-esque claws, I've been tempted by the stubby ones for this, particularly this one:

(there's two buttons on the side/top just for vertical games)

...course most of the shmups I play use a third button for auto fire but eh close enough. There's the tinier RG280V which might be able to be played similarly with its shoulder buttons up there, otherwise with the dual stick horizontal ones you could probably do something like a Wonderswan setup:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Weedle posted:

what "misc things" are those? i haven't come across anything i can't do in retroarch on the 351 but i'm not exactly a power user

Fast Forward, Rewind, Save state, Load state, State+/-, Menu..

It's not a big deal for SNES/GBA/etc where you have superfluous buttons, but for PSX where you only have exactly the number that's needed for the gamepad it's a pain. Retroarch does have a 'modifier button' option to hold to access control functions, but it doesn't look like there's even one to spare on most of these devices.

What I like to do is set L2 as the 'modifier' button, but then I need another one somewhere if I want to be able to easily press L2 on the emulated system. Unfortunately for whatever reason Retroarch only lets you set system actions to be accessed with the modifier, not normal gamepad buttons.

There's an option to delay the modifier button so a quick tap will pass it through, but then you can't pass a long hold through, and you have to wait a bit while holding it to access those system functions.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

zzMisc posted:

Fast Forward, Rewind, Save state, Load state, State+/-, Menu..

It's not a big deal for SNES/GBA/etc where you have superfluous buttons, but for PSX where you only have exactly the number that's needed for the gamepad it's a pain. Retroarch does have a 'modifier button' to to access control functions, but it doesn't look like there's even one to spare on most of these devices.

What I like to do is set L2 as the 'modifier' button, but then I need another one somewhere if I want to be able to easily press L2 on the emulated system. Unfortunately for whatever reason Retroarch only lets you set system actions to be accessed with the modifier, not normal gamepad buttons.

There's an option to delay the modifier button so a quick tap will pass it through, but then you can't pass a long hold through, and you have to wait a bit while holding it to access those system functions.

by default the hotkey modifier is select but i changed it to l3 with a half-second delay because having it on select was messing up syphon filter. i have not yet encountered a ps1 game that requires you to keep l3 pressed so it's working great. i have the menu on r3 (so clicking both sticks brings it up), save/load on l1/r1 and speed on l2/r2. i don't ever really mess around with multiple save slots but if i did i would probably swap the hotkey modifier to r3 and menu to l3, and put state selection on the d-pad

Weedle fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 25, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i think the 351v has a dedicated function button though. i don't own one but the pics show a little F button on the face that i assume is for that. seems nice

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Weedle posted:

i think the 351v has a dedicated function button though. i don't own one but the pics show a little F button on the face that i assume is for that. seems nice

It does.

Fn+ L1 SS load
Fn+R1 SS Save
Fn+L2 Fast forward
Fn+R2 FPS display
Fn+ left/right change SS slot
Fn+ up/down change volume
Fn+L3 open Retroarch Menu

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

japtor posted:

Ignoring your Nosferatu-esque claws, I've been tempted by the stubby ones for this, particularly this one:

I’m sure you’ve done your own research if you’re interested in this, but last I saw the previews weren’t that positive on the software side because half of it isn’t translated from Chinese. Shame, the hardware looks a neat form factor..

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Agrias120 posted:

Fn+ L1 SS load
Fn+R1 SS Save
Fn+L2 Fast forward
Fn+R2 FPS display

Oh, I assumed that was just for jumping out of Retroarch and getting to Anbernic's OS or whatever. That button was never mentioned or described in anything I saw. Well, drat. At least these USB buttons are fully programmable, and I've got plenty of PC/Laptop usage ideas for them!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Agrias120 posted:

It does.

Fn+ L1 SS load
Fn+R1 SS Save
Fn+L2 Fast forward
Fn+R2 FPS display

Oh that's pretty neat, does the retroid have shortcuts like that?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Stefan Prodan posted:

Oh that's pretty neat, does the retroid have shortcuts like that?

nah, not built in; presumably you could map it to do that but i get impatient with fiddly stuff like that so i've never bothered

holding down start brings up the retroarch menu so that usually works for 90% of emulator stuff i need to adjust but not quick shortcuts. other than psx and n64 i usually have a spare button for assigning to shortcuts

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Agrias120 posted:

It does.

Fn+ L1 SS load
Fn+R1 SS Save
Fn+L2 Fast forward
Fn+R2 FPS display

Going to the RA menu is the only way to close a game on the 351V, right? It’s how I’ve been doing it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Does the 351v come with RA stock or are you loading it after you get it?

Can you put RA on the 280v?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Going to the RA menu is the only way to close a game on the 351V, right? It’s how I’ve been doing it.

idk if there’s another way but that’s definitely how you should do it, otherwise your sram state might not get saved to disk

Weedle
May 31, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Does the 351v come with RA stock or are you loading it after you get it?

all the 351s run what’s basically a fork of retropie (retroarch with the emulationstation front end)

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Can you put RA on the 280v?

yep! https://retrogamecorps.com/2020/12/24/guide-retroarch-on-rg350-and-rg280-devices/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Weedle posted:

idk if there’s another way but that’s definitely how you should do it, otherwise your sram state might not get saved to disk

Cool. Got mine apart and the screen taped. Gonna paint it tomorrow and hopefully not break it getting everything back together.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rolo posted:

Yeah, it's the only way. I only found out what all the other button combos did because I didn't look in the manual and I was trying to figure out how to exit a game. Coming from the 350M and the 280V I was so confused when the power button didn't double as a function.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
So doing some research a lot of youtubers have been hyping up the Retroid Pocket 2 and it seems nice for the price. But stumbling upon some Reddit threads I see a lot of this machine getting poo poo on after owning it for a bit.

This would be my first handheld emulation machine and I want something easy to setup and go with and that seems to be where some of the issues arise with the RP2.

I’m very intrigued by a 4:3 screen as I’ll probably be playing SNES games most of the time on it. So then I’m thinking of the 351v or the 351m/p. I dunno.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TBH I haven’t seen a lot of love for the RP2.

It’s a hard pass imo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i would definitely recommend an anbernic device over the retroid. the 351m/p have 3:2 displays and snes games don't look great on them. the best 4:3 displays are on the rg350m and rg351v. the 351v is (slightly) more powerful but the 350m has dual analogs. snes games fill most of the screen and look perfectly crisp at 2x integer scaling on either one

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have the RP2 and 351V and the V is my favorite so far. It’s comfortable for my goofy hands and worked very well right out of the box.

Just be sure to read the “English” instructions on how to format the second SD and what folders to make. Super easy compared to getting the RP2 how I wanted it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imagined posted:

If I'm having ~maybe~ 10 people over to my house next month for my birthday/we're all vaccinated now party, and I wanted to give out as party favors one of those little tiny gameboy style ones that's maybe capable of Pokemon Red/Blue and GB Tetris, what's the cheapest halfway decent one? And by "halfway decent" I mean "capable of running the game" and "fun for an hour". My standards are low.

I completely forgot about this thing.

https://youtu.be/GUbizcBxlAY

15 on eBay. You could probably get in time too.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

I was thinking of that one too but didn’t know if it had the right games they wanted. And took a while to find it on Amazon out of the billion others, cheapest and quickest shipping I could find there is $20, April 7-15:
https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Console-Built-Classic-Screen/dp/B08XQFDD2Y/

eBay from California (:raise:), ~April 8, $15.80 each if you buy more than 3 (albeit only in red):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handheld-Retro-Game-Console-Built-in-500-Classic-8-Bit-Games-2-4-Inch-Screen/265072068488

Similarly thin ones as part of a phone case:
https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-12-Mini-Protective-Self-Powered/dp/B08NHZN5YC/

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

TBH I haven’t seen a lot of love for the RP2.

It’s a hard pass imo
There was a brief period when the RP2 was much faster than the RG350 series, was the only device with a 640x480 screen almost as nice as the (very expensive) 350M, android and steam link were new and exciting, etc. Even with all it's faults it was new and exciting and the best thing available at the time.

Now the Odroid Go Advance series and its clones, including the RG351 series, are out and mature and have numerous custom firmwares with improved emulator performance that have nearly caught up to or surpassed the RP2's paid android emulators for DS and Dreamcast, better d-pads, better sticks, better build quality, more form factors, and now screens that are just as good or better with the RG351V and Odroid Go Super.

Of course I'm sure some of that RP2 honeymoon period was astroturf/paid advertising as well.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i own an rp2 and like it just fine

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Is there anywhere I can see a list of what actual games come on it?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Rolo posted:

I have the RP2 and 351V and the V is my favorite so far. It’s comfortable for my goofy hands and worked very well right out of the box.

Just be sure to read the “English” instructions on how to format the second SD and what folders to make. Super easy compared to getting the RP2 how I wanted it.

Yeah, so far I have a 280V, a 350M, and a 351V. I got the 351V thinking I'd only use it for GBA and the 350M for everything else, but aside from it being plastic instead of metal, the 351V is by far my favorite device. I just use it for everything now. I'm not a very big fan of RetroArch so far, but that's not enough of a reason for me to dock points against it and the integer scaling feature of it is so good that I'd ignore any other grumpiness.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

japtor posted:

I was thinking of that one too but didn’t know if it had the right games they wanted. And took a while to find it on Amazon out of the billion others, cheapest and quickest shipping I could find there is $20, April 7-15:
https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Console-Built-Classic-Screen/dp/B08XQFDD2Y/

eBay from California (:raise:), ~April 8, $15.80 each if you buy more than 3 (albeit only in red):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handheld-Retro-Game-Console-Built-in-500-Classic-8-Bit-Games-2-4-Inch-Screen/265072068488

Similarly thin ones as part of a phone case:
https://www.amazon.com/iPhone-12-Mini-Protective-Self-Powered/dp/B08NHZN5YC/

I like these "system on a chip" consoles but the games are such a scattershot of roms/romhacks they are pretty much worth it as party favors or just something you can throw in a bag to whip out during lunch or waiting for a bus

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
As far as the 'party favors' go, I ended up just ordering one PocketGo since it seems like the cheapest decentish one I could find where you can load your own ROMs, and I'll preload it and have it as a door prize. I figure if I was buying one for myself I'd get something nicer, but if someone just gave me a preloaded PocketGo for coming to their birthday party I'd be pretty chuffed.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

rgc's funkey review is out. looks kind of bad. sounds really bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZ-K_rJVdo&t=329s

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

rgc's funkey review is out. looks kind of bad. sounds really bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZ-K_rJVdo&t=329s

Honestly I wonder if he got a bad unit. None of the other reviews even mentioned this.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

AnberPorts is running on the 350 and 351

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPaBuGwzP58

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Weedle posted:

all the 351s run what’s basically a fork of retropie (retroarch with the emulationstation front end)

yep! https://retrogamecorps.com/2020/12/24/guide-retroarch-on-rg350-and-rg280-devices/

Is there an advantage to using retroarch on the RG series?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Looks like FunKey has a competitor on the way. I hope they go with the slightly cheaper processor and put the whole thing in impulse buy territory

Of course, we all know what the ultimate micro handheld is

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i’m guessing you can’t load your own roms on the flossy chicken. how’s the built-in selection? are there any scaling options? is it any good at all?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

bad, no, and no

It's just the same 99999 in one famiclone chip that's in every cheap retro handheld. The only reason to get it is because it's tiny, dirt cheap and just look at it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

bad, no, and no

It's just the same 99999 in one famiclone chip that's in every cheap retro handheld. The only reason to get it is because it's tiny, dirt cheap and just look at it

wait i thought you took the first pic while the title screen was fading in or something. does it just not show the title at all. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They can't put "Super Mario Bros" on there, that would be copyright infringement