Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Toyota figuring out how to earn the most from their vehicles that literally stand the test of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

if 👏 you 👏 can't 👏 afford 👏 high 👏 beam 👏 assist, 👏 you 👏 can't 👏 afford 👏 to 👏 drive 👏 a 👏 530e.

This definitely feels like stuff targeted at people with more money than sense.

quote:

edit: all joking aside, this seems like ala cart trim levels that can be purchased on the go, and its not like trim levels is exactly news. its a completely unnecessary dumb sounding fancy feature on a car for shitheads with too much money to enable; why is this bad? i don't get it.

Standard trim levels in cars are generally for things like leather seating, sound systems, and the existence of certain software systems to begin with, not for turning software on and off by use of pop-ups while night driving.

You can always buy other nonsense a la carte but that would also be for things that are not physically in your car.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Delta-Wye posted:

if 👏 you 👏 can't 👏 afford 👏 high 👏 beam 👏 assist, 👏 you 👏 can't 👏 afford 👏 to 👏 drive 👏 a 👏 530e.

edit: all joking aside, this seems like ala cart trim levels that can be purchased on the go, and its not like trim levels is exactly news. its a completely unnecessary dumb sounding fancy feature on a car for shitheads with too much money to enable; why is this bad? i don't get it.

It's on-disc DLC

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
ah, cant wait for car makers to join John Deer and other farm equipment makers to join their anti jailbreaking / anti fix-it-yourself crusade

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

HootTheOwl posted:

You see it's an illumination feature not a safety one so it's not our fault they couldn't see your loved one in the road and killed them. But this just serves as a reminder that some cosmetic features also make the experience better so be sure to unlock all the features in the future including our pnumatic haptic feedback system that alets occupants of a collision with a helpful pop-up parachute so you know to call 911

"High beam assist" isn't really an illumination feature, it's an automation feature. It switches from the high beams to standard lights and back when it detects oncoming headlights. It just means the driver doesn't need to flick the brights off and on at night. If anyone got killed over it, it would only be if the driver refused to operate their brights normally.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Kaal posted:

"High beam assist" isn't really an illumination feature, it's an automation feature. It switches from the high beams to standard lights and back when it detects oncoming headlights. It just means the driver doesn't need to flick the brights off and on at night. If anyone got killed over it, it would only be if the driver refused to operate their brights normally.

my main use case for high beams while on backroad 2-lane highways at night, where i might pass a couple of oncoming cars on the drive. paying literally hundreds of dollars so i can feel smug while the car switches highbeams off, or instead choosing to reach a finger up and moving the knob myself for those 2 or 3 occasional cars isn't a big deal. its a convenience tool well beyond anyone's actual need as far as i can tell, or more succinctly:

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This definitely feels like stuff targeted at people with more money than sense.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

mediaphage posted:

aside from it just blatantly being anti consumer frankly you shouldn’t be distracted by garbage like this when it’s something that has a physical button for it in the car

that lexus thing is unreal

BMW recently had to walk back one that was even worse.

Lexus can sorta-kinda justify the app thing as "we need to maintain the app servers/infrastructure and pay your car's phone bill," even if they could have accomplished the same thing with a keyfob.

BMW was trying to charge an $80/year fee for Apple Carplay. That feature has absolutely no ongoing cost for BMW - it just turns the car's display into a dumb monitor and input device for your phone, which runs all the software and has all the intelligence built in. The whole point is that the car doesn't need any updates to use new features on the phone.

They rolled that specific charge back after people started complaining, but it's obvious that the same people who came up with that stuck around.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Space Gopher posted:

BMW recently had to walk back one that was even worse.

Lexus can sorta-kinda justify the app thing as "we need to maintain the app servers/infrastructure and pay your car's phone bill," even if they could have accomplished the same thing with a keyfob.

BMW was trying to charge an $80/year fee for Apple Carplay. That feature has absolutely no ongoing cost for BMW - it just turns the car's display into a dumb monitor and input device for your phone, which runs all the software and has all the intelligence built in. The whole point is that the car doesn't need any updates to use new features on the phone.

They rolled that specific charge back after people started complaining, but it's obvious that the same people who came up with that stuck around.

ah i remember that. i’m surprised they actually walked it back tbh.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

mediaphage posted:

aside from it just blatantly being anti consumer

How so? It's a marginally useful feature available as an optional upgrade for dummies.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Fucks sake, why are tech companies trying to ruin electric cars by making them all full of SaaS garbage. I just want a normal car that doesn't use oil, is that too much to ask?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Fucks sake, why are tech companies trying to ruin electric cars by making them all full of SaaS garbage. I just want a normal car that doesn't use oil, is that too much to ask?

Yeah, monthly fees suck, but most of these features are available as one-time purchases.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Baronash posted:

How so? It's a marginally useful feature available as an optional upgrade for dummies.

I’ve had it in a few hire cars and my wife’s new car has it too. It’s never actually seemed to work that well in any of them and you still end up either having to turn them on manually because it doesn’t think you need them, or turning them off manually because it waits too long when it sees an oncoming vehicle. Certainly not worth paying a single penny to BMW for in app purchases lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
that would be my guess what your money buys you. when driving alone you just use on/off because its reliable, you only turn on AUTO to show off to passengers but it only is impressive half the time. Reading the description makes me think of when the 360 (iirc?) got voice commands and everyone I knew with one was really stoked. "Check this out!", then they'd say "xbox on" over and over again for a while, getting louder and shoutier, eventually giving up and using remote anyways.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
did they ever ban usernames from being called "Xbox turn off"?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Baronash posted:

5-7 years ago: "oh, who cares about smart TV advertising and content tracking, having a crappy slow version of Netflix and Youtube in your TV with a few ads is an optional thing for dummies and I'm too smart to care"

Now: there are precisely zero TVs on the consumer market that don't shove ads into your face through the core UI by default

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

5-7 years ago: "oh, who cares about smart TV advertising and content tracking, having a crappy slow version of Netflix and Youtube in your TV with a few ads is an optional thing for dummies and I'm too smart to care"

Now: there are precisely zero TVs on the consumer market that don't shove ads into your face through the core UI by default

This is a fallacy and you know it. There is no reason that because I am indifferent to certain specific optional features on a car (or even appreciate them, in the case of the Carplay addon I purchased after buying a used car) that I cannot also be upset when the features being locked off were previously standard or otherwise negatively affect my driving (or tv watching) experience. Both can be, and are, true.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

PhazonLink posted:

did they ever ban usernames from being called "Xbox turn off"?

If you're dumb enough to ever use public voice chat on console when it's a toxic shithole of darkness say it out loud you deserve getting shunted out of the match, imo.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Space Gopher posted:

There's some hope coming from, weirdly enough, Google: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/the-best-feature-of-google-tv-you-can-turn-it-off-for-a-dumb-tv-mode/

quote:

The new Google TV is a fine smart TV interface, but when it gets integrated into some TV sets later this year, its best feature might be that you can turn it off. A report from 9to5Google details an upcoming "Basic TV" mode that will be built into Google TV, which turns off just about all the smart TV features. Right now, Google TV is only available in the new Chromecast, but Google TV will be built into upcoming TVs from Sony and TCL. Basic mode means we'll get smart TVs with a "dumb TV" mode.

The rise of smart TVs has led to the extinction of dumb TVs—today, basically every TV has some kind of computer and operating system built into it. If you're actually expecting to live with a TV for several years, the problem with smart TVs is that the dirt-cheap computers inside these TVs don't last as long as the display does. When your smart TV is a few years old, you might still have a perfectly good display panel, but you'll be forced to interact with it through a slow, old, possibly abandoned integrated computer. Companies should sell dumb TVs without any of this crap permanently integrated into them, but if they refuse, letting consumers turn off the software is the next best thing.

When the new feature rolls out, you'll be asked to choose between "Basic TV" or "Google TV" at setup. 9to5Google says that with basic mode, "almost everything is stripped, leaving users with just HDMI inputs and Live TV if they have an antenna plugged directly into the TV. Casting support, too, is dropped." The UI notes that you'll be turning off all apps, the Google Assistant, and personalized recommendations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Baronash posted:

This is a fallacy and you know it. There is no reason that because I am indifferent to certain specific optional features on a car (or even appreciate them, in the case of the Carplay addon I purchased after buying a used car) that I cannot also be upset when the features being locked off were previously standard or otherwise negatively affect my driving (or tv watching) experience. Both can be, and are, true.

The point is that "locking out features isn't anti-consumer, because I don't care about that particular feature" is a real dumb take.

Look into it a little bit more.

quote:

It seems like basic mode will only show a minimal set of icons for things like input-switching and settings. There's also a big banner advertising Google TV mode, which you'll presumably just have to learn to ignore. A Google spokesperson told the site that this feature is destined to hit TVs sold with integrated Google TV in the future.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Well, that still sounds like a big improvement over having the smart TV interface be unavoidable. I can't loving stand the one on my Samsung.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cicero posted:

Well, that still sounds like a big improvement over having the smart TV interface be unavoidable. I can't loving stand the one on my Samsung.

Weird, mine goes away as soon as I select an input and it's pretty useful because we're constantly switching to streaming services

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

The point is that "locking out features isn't anti-consumer, because I don't care about that particular feature" is a real dumb take.

Whether I like the feature or not is irrelevant. I even said I enjoyed that I was able to upgrade to Carplay and wasn't stuck with whatever choices the first owner made. Your car has a computer in it, and being able to buy certain QoL improvements for your car is really no different than buying an app for your phone. Like, I don't say Microsoft is locking out features because my laptop only came with a trial version of Office.

As someone said earlier, it's essentially a la carte trim levels. Or are you arguing that there's a moral difference between charging $220 for auto-dimming brights and charging a $2k premium to get someone to slap a roof rack and Weathertechs on your car at the factory?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is this just contrarianism to the extreme?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baronash posted:

Your car has a computer in it, and being able to buy certain QoL improvements for your car is really no different than buying an app for your phone.

This would be true if I could buy a FLIR app for my phone. Or an app that would let me use it as a cutting laser. Or an app that would let me use it to do any number of other things it does not have the hardware to do.........

These cars already have all of the hardware. It's just disabled.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Motronic posted:

This would be true if I could buy a FLIR app for my phone. Or an app that would let me use it as a cutting laser. Or an app that would let me use it to do any number of other things it does not have the hardware to do.........

These cars already have all of the hardware. It's just disabled.

Is the lidar in an ipad disabled if a customer doesn't use any app that takes advantage of it?

The hardware isn't disabled, it's just being used for different things like lane departure correction and optional features like dashcam recording.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Baronash posted:

Is the lidar in an ipad disabled if a customer doesn't use any app that takes advantage of it?

This is a haggared analogy, but no....it's not because any app, even one not from apple and even a free one or something you write yourself can use it.

Baronash posted:

The hardware isn't disabled, it's just being used for different things like lane departure correction and optional features like dashcam recording.

If that's the hill you want......go for it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Baronash posted:

Yes, when not in use the lidar emitters are disabled.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's never been a better time to not own a television.

Are PC monitors still free from the scourge?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are PC monitors still free from the scourge?

Doesn't really make sense from a manufacturer perspective to add smart features when monitors basically only exist to provide visual feedback for compatible electronics that don't have their own screen.

(yes)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Musk doesn't like Lidar, good enough for me.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Problem is no one sells 50" monitors - or at least not for the price of TVs.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Good thing no one needs one either!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Other than the data harvesting, I will never understand the hate boner people have for smart TVs. Crackle made your TV cheaper, set it to default to HDMI1 and stop caring so much. Got a Vizio in the living room and a Hisense Roku one in the back, couldn't tell you the last time I saw the "interface" of either.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TheScott2K posted:

Other than the data harvesting, I will never understand the hate boner people have for smart TVs. Crackle made your TV cheaper, set it to default to HDMI1 and stop caring so much. Got a Vizio in the living room and a Hisense Roku one in the back, couldn't tell you the last time I saw the "interface" of either.

Here's the hate boner I have for mine. A couple of years back my Vizio had to send me a check after a court settlement. The lawsuit was because the Vizio was taking screenshots of what I watched and sending it back to the mother ship. This data harvesting is a big drat deal to me.

I couldn't connect the remote to my Vizio without giving it Internet access. I do not trust the Vizio's having internet access. In particular, I don't trust them to keep the security up-to-date. Yet I have no choice in the matter.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Problem is no one sells 50" monitors - or at least not for the price of TVs.
Nvidia promised a 65" spec for computer displays and then revealed they'll still have Android on board :sigh:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Here's the hate boner I have for mine. A couple of years back my Vizio had to send me a check after a court settlement. The lawsuit was because the Vizio was taking screenshots of what I watched and sending it back to the mother ship. This data harvesting is a big drat deal to me.

I couldn't connect the remote to my Vizio without giving it Internet access. I do not trust the Vizio's having internet access. In particular, I don't trust them to keep the security up-to-date. Yet I have no choice in the matter.

So don't put it on wifi? If you're not using the apps who cares about the remote?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ruffian Price posted:

Nvidia promised a 65" spec for computer displays and then revealed they'll still have Android on board :sigh:
Lol, scaling their phone stuff into a new market is easy. They would have no idea how to spin a $0.50 micro that lets you switch inputs and maybe adjust backlight.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

TheScott2K posted:

So don't put it on wifi? If you're not using the apps who cares about the remote?

It's the only way to change the inputs on the TV. It's nice to be able to use both the Roku and a DVD player.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Roku is a prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TheScott2K posted:

Some TVs will refuse to work if you don't let them call the mothership for updates and don't agree to the EULA. Some will bypass your DNS settings and use hard-coded DNS servers. Chromecasts also do this.

Combine this with built in webcams+microphones and the usual IoT security issues, I will never let a TV in my household connect to the internet.

Allegedly some TVs will auto-connect to open SSIDs if you don't connect them yourself.

I don't care that "smart" features allows for cheaper TVs. Maybe we should start paying the actual prices for things.