Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

A couple of dudebros in my class took full advantage of the opportunity, called the Mohawks, made a visit, talked to some people and presented a seriously amazing report on the experience and the things they'd learned. I pulled some poo poo out of my rear end for a three-page essay and got the same mark they did.

I am imagining buff dudes with trucker hats and flip flops doing an informative PowerPoint on the real life effects of the Indian act on indigenous peoples today and I am loving it.

My experience learning about residential schools in history 11 was “They were put in special schools where they couldn’t speak their own language “ and the class was like “wow that sounds like us in French immersion “ and the teacher moved on to talk about Vimy Ridge.

my actual education took place only in university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Fashionable Jorts posted:

poo poo, I graduated high school in 2006 and I didn't learn about residential schools until after.

I found out last year that the last one closed in 1996.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Well as a new Canadian all I can claim is that my citizenship exam required I know that the three types of aboriginal peoples in Canada are First Nations, Metis, and Inuit. Also something about when Newfoundland joined confederation? Something something Charter of Rights and Freedoms patriation of the Constitution here's your Tims card.

Seriously though, I remember Oka going down and poo poo was serious. I also had encounters both with Cree in BC and in Navajo Nation and was struck by just how angry folks were. So I started reading and holy poo poo. I recently picked up a copy of Clearing the Plains that is coming up to the top of the to read pile. Looks like a lighthearted series of tales of Canadian history.

I will say that Idle No More and reconciliation seem to be a positive moment in history (at least in my university bubble). We'll see I guess.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I feel like I knew about Oka since like the mid nineties, so very young. However, it wasn't really until probably less than ten years ago that I saw video from Oka and realized how heinous it was. While in the army I was always wondering where all the indigenous folks were at, learning about Oka answered that pretty conclusively.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bilirubin posted:

Also something about when Newfoundland joined confederation?

It is kind of incredible to think that at one point there were enough fish in the sea to justify Newfoundland being its own separate country

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
it was never its own country. they just loving loved the queen so much they couldnt do without her

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

small wood syndrome

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Bilirubin posted:

I will say that Idle No More and reconciliation seem to be a positive moment in history (at least in my university bubble). We'll see I guess.

Universities bubbles are very bubbly and if you leave it you will quickly meet lots of people who will happily tell you that native people are all just alcoholics who need to get a job

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It is kind of incredible to think that at one point there were enough fish in the sea to justify Newfoundland being its own separate country

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I can't wait to see the same chart for Alberta oil in 15 years.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Knowing total remuneration is cool as an employee but using the value of benefits to say 'TEACHER BAD' is hella bullshit. Guess what, everyone not an independent contractor just got a 7% raise from employer EI/CPP contributions! Maybe more if there's a health plan or free parking!

Fried Watermelon posted:

If anyone is interested Coursera has an Indigenous Canada course put together by University of Alberta that's pretty good. Mainly video lectures, optional PDF readings.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/indigenous-canada/home/info

Quoting so I can find it later.

Guest2553 has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Mar 26, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Good content, but be ready to make the "That's the take you went with, eh?" face a lot.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Universities bubbles are very bubbly and if you leave it you will quickly meet lots of people who will happily tell you that native people are all just alcoholics who need to get a job

Talk to someone living in Thunder Bay and you'll probably hear this within 5 minutes. Something about living there seems to make people horribly racist.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Just go on local news facebook or reddit in a university town if you want to see where this society’s at.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

it was terribly impoverished and constantly bankrupt so not quite enough fish I guess

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BonerKid posted:

Talk to someone living in Thunder Bay and you'll probably hear this within 5 minutes. Something about living there seems to make people horribly racist.

i live next to the university of windsor. the university is also right next to the border to the USA and i have seen multiple times people yelling racist poo poo at the exchange students as they pass by. though it is asian/indian students

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

BonerKid posted:

https://www.aptn.ca/firstcontact/ You wanna punch a television? Cause this is how televisions get punched, right here

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Brantford and the surrounding area are also very racist towards the 6 nations reserve nearby there

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney says his government didn't prepare a fallback plan on implementing a consumer carbon tax because they were hoping to win in the country's top court.

Kenney said the province was buoyed by a lower court win in Alberta, and noted that three of the nine Supreme Court justices had concerns with Thursday's majority decision that the tax is onside with the Constitution.

"It was our hope that we would win," Kenney told reporters Friday. "But now we're going to consult with Albertans on the path forward."

Juul-Whip has issued a correction as of 22:39 on Mar 26, 2021

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

their fallback plan is to not do anything and then it’s the feds fault.

this was intentional

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
live footage of Kenny trying to convince Albertans it’s all the feds fault

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bilirubin posted:

Well as a new Canadian all I can claim is that my citizenship exam required I know that the three types of aboriginal peoples in Canada are First Nations, Metis, and Inuit. Also something about when Newfoundland joined confederation? Something something Charter of Rights and Freedoms patriation of the Constitution here's your Tims card.

Seriously though, I remember Oka going down and poo poo was serious. I also had encounters both with Cree in BC and in Navajo Nation and was struck by just how angry folks were. So I started reading and holy poo poo. I recently picked up a copy of Clearing the Plains that is coming up to the top of the to read pile. Looks like a lighthearted series of tales of Canadian history.

There are actually four; First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and eastern rurals who want Indigenous hunting rights

Mameluke has issued a correction as of 23:46 on Mar 26, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

BGrifter posted:

live footage of Kenny trying to convince Albertans it’s all the feds fault

he doesn't have to do much considering how dumb as poo poo his base is

it frankly doesn't even matter because the ruling sends an absolutely crystal-clear signal to investors to steer clear of fossil fuel projects at all costs for the foreseeable future, something that's gonna be buoyed by the federal cons being basically a basket case for the next few years. it took a long time for the momentum to start swinging decisively, but every poll i've seen points towards a majority of canadians broadly agreeing that climate change is a serious issue and that environmental sustainability is a top priority, and i'm genuinely unsure if you can actually win a federal election now in a party that is actively denying bare-faced reality

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Vermain posted:

I'm genuinely unsure if you can actually win a federal election now in a party that is actively denying bare-faced reality

Congratz on recently waking up from your coma.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

BC shooting for the covid highscore and the government is going to politely ask people to be good as they further loosen restrictions on public gatherings lol

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/PennyDaflos/status/1375543741738536964

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
has anyone been able to get vaxxed yet? americans can schedule shots at their pharmacy and there's little eligiblity checking. my paramedic friend got one through work but that seems like a big goop to jump through.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, but I'm in NWT where they opened it up to all adults a couple of weeks ago.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I know a few old people who got their first jab in alberta but nobody under like 70

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Reality Protester posted:

has anyone been able to get vaxxed yet? americans can schedule shots at their pharmacy and there's little eligiblity checking. my paramedic friend got one through work but that seems like a big goop to jump through.

I got vaxxed with Pfizer yesterday and I'm scheduled for my next one in.... July :(. I work with older at-risk adults and the vaccine roll out for us employees has been awful. Technically I was eligible for a vaccine in February but the website and person on the phone said that it was the responsibility of the employers to get us registered for vaccines. I haven't heard a single thing from work, and the BC CDC's list of who is eligible is vague at best, so I got my doctor to get me a permission letter since I have a compromised immune system. The person I talked to over the phone also had little idea about the eligibility of me since the requirements are changing from day-to-day. Even though I had my doctor's letter and my employee card where I worked to prove, I got harassed by one of the directors there for being the a young person in the line-up for getting vaccines. There was another young person there, but they targeted me for god knows what reason and was implying that I shouldn't be there. I pointed the other young person out to the director and asked "why aren't you harassing her?" to no reply, and they let me through to one of the vaccine stations.

I've had problems with the handling of the entire pandemic and the health authorities from the very beginning of the pandemic to now. I'm 100% disappointed and frustrated with the handling of every step by the B.C. government and the Fraser Health authority region, from the precautions and no mask mandates, refusing to close schools, hosed-up requirements of having to have more than one physical symptom to get Covid tested, and the vaccine roll out itself. It's absolutely dysfunctional and I don't feel like I'm being hyperbolic when I say that anyone out there with a compromised immune system is a sitting duck for this virus in the province. At the very least, everyone living in the Fraser Health region are getting sub-par service. I can not imagine what the people in Interior and Northern Health are going through, but I imagine its worse.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Still waiting to be able to register I am an 'essential' worker but not 'essential' enough and I have nurses come in to my home daily to help with my daughter but apparently that doesn't matter either

Meanwhile one quarter of my city has been vaccinated and I don't know how. Except there are lots of old people here.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

The crackmacs person sucks poo poo but lolberta

https://twitter.com/Crackmacs/status/1375839873421090820?s=19

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lol wiki editors gettin sassy

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/mbarber86/status/1375840187973054465?s=21

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

jsoh posted:

it was terribly impoverished and constantly bankrupt so not quite enough fish I guess

One of my great grandmothers was the daughter of a man who in the late 1800's owned fishing rights for a huge chunk of the Grand Banks so I'm sure private ownership was one of the bigger reasons they had no money. She married my great grandfather (a lowly fisherman and not an important business connection) and got kicked out of the family and disowned. The story I got told after that was that he sold his rights to American/European fishing companies and moved the rest of his family to America when Newfoundland joined Canada because he'd rather be super rich in the states.

edit: all that to say Newfoundland was impoverished but they had lots of fish, they just weren't allowed to fish them

ghosthorse has issued a correction as of 21:50 on Mar 27, 2021

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Entorwellian posted:

I got vaxxed with Pfizer yesterday and I'm scheduled for my next one in.... July :(. I work with older at-risk adults and the vaccine roll out for us employees has been awful. Technically I was eligible for a vaccine in February but the website and person on the phone said that it was the responsibility of the employers to get us registered for vaccines. I haven't heard a single thing from work, and the BC CDC's list of who is eligible is vague at best, so I got my doctor to get me a permission letter since I have a compromised immune system. The person I talked to over the phone also had little idea about the eligibility of me since the requirements are changing from day-to-day. Even though I had my doctor's letter and my employee card where I worked to prove, I got harassed by one of the directors there for being the a young person in the line-up for getting vaccines. There was another young person there, but they targeted me for god knows what reason and was implying that I shouldn't be there. I pointed the other young person out to the director and asked "why aren't you harassing her?" to no reply, and they let me through to one of the vaccine stations.

I've had problems with the handling of the entire pandemic and the health authorities from the very beginning of the pandemic to now. I'm 100% disappointed and frustrated with the handling of every step by the B.C. government and the Fraser Health authority region, from the precautions and no mask mandates, refusing to close schools, hosed-up requirements of having to have more than one physical symptom to get Covid tested, and the vaccine roll out itself. It's absolutely dysfunctional and I don't feel like I'm being hyperbolic when I say that anyone out there with a compromised immune system is a sitting duck for this virus in the province. At the very least, everyone living in the Fraser Health region are getting sub-par service. I can not imagine what the people in Interior and Northern Health are going through, but I imagine its worse.

I got vaccinated yesterday because my work is in a hospital. I'm wfh right now but they sent out a message saying all staff yet to be vaccinated were eligible so I jumped. Nobody even checked my ID or asked about my eligibility at the vaccine site.

Everything that is happening in BC is so hosed right now. 10% test positivity (including those industry tests) in the province yesterday and Bonnie Henry and Adrian Dix have nothing to say about it.

Kids go back to school on Monday with no masks. Teachers should refuse to work.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Goosed it. posted:

I got vaccinated yesterday because my work is in a hospital. I'm wfh right now but they sent out a message saying all staff yet to be vaccinated were eligible so I jumped. Nobody even checked my ID or asked about my eligibility at the vaccine site.

Everything that is happening in BC is so hosed right now. 10% test positivity (including those industry tests) in the province yesterday and Bonnie Henry and Adrian Dix have nothing to say about it.

Kids go back to school on Monday with no masks. Teachers should refuse to work.

100% agree with you. They should be up in arms about it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Reality Protester posted:

my parents were both old enough to get their first shots a couple days ago and i'll be able to get my first next month since autism spectrum is one of the medium risk subgroups that they want to get vaccinated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

only olds here basically. BC's doing everything pretty strictly by age bracket so I'll be early-mid june at this rate