Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

GetDunked posted:

I'd love to see an extension that would let me do this directly from within Foundry, if anyone knows of such a thing. But it's not a bad workflow as is.

I use Tokenizer which is an addon that does most of that workflow directly in Foundry. You still have to find external graphics from AoN, a PDF or somesuch. Tokenizer can add a border and mask plus do basic pan, zoom, crop. It's a little unintuitive but more convenient than any of the external token tools that I tried.

[E] Looks like this in action:

In this case I got the base images from the free Little Trouble in Big Absalom PDF which I was Foundry-izing. By default Tokenizer uses that red border for NPCs like the creepy doll, and white for PCs like Grimnir above, but you can change them. The base image can be taken from the Foundry server, a local file or a random URL.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Cheers. Planning to continue age of ashes on it soon, so very helpful. I've just been using tokentool on roll 20, and I knew there must be something better.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Cheers. Planning to continue age of ashes on it soon, so very helpful. I've just been using tokentool on roll 20, and I knew there must be something better.

Tokentool is a pretty good solution honestly, you can set it up to export the token and portrait simultaneously, and then you can use image mapper to attach all the portraits/tokens to a compendium of stuff in one go. I use tokenizer for situations where I'm trying to make a custom npc or there's no art in the pdf or whatever, but if I'm trying to quickly tokenize a whole book I think tokentool -> image mapper is the fastest. The discord channel keeps hinting at a deal in the works with Paizo, so hopefully that actually happens.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

I use Tokenizer which is an addon that does most of that workflow directly in Foundry. You still have to find external graphics from AoN, a PDF or somesuch. Tokenizer can add a border and mask plus do basic pan, zoom, crop. It's a little unintuitive but more convenient than any of the external token tools that I tried.

[E] Looks like this in action:

In this case I got the base images from the free Little Trouble in Big Absalom PDF which I was Foundry-izing. By default Tokenizer uses that red border for NPCs like the creepy doll, and white for PCs like Grimnir above, but you can change them. The base image can be taken from the Foundry server, a local file or a random URL.

Has tokenizer been broken for you lately? For the past couple months, mine has been throwing javascript errors when it tries to bring up the avatar importer. This issue persisted through an uninstall / reinstall.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Proud Rat Mom posted:

If it helps, here are the tokens I made for Hellknight Hill (and some other random ones) - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FhTq8hRqR0A27qU40MtA9zDf5VD_c1gX?usp=sharing

I use Token Stamp and whatever images I can find publicly. The problem with the AoN images is they have transparent backgrounds so if you drag them into token stamp they have a black background instead of white, so these took me a bit more effort than I would have liked as I had to scrounge up images from elsewhere.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

Has tokenizer been broken for you lately? For the past couple months, mine has been throwing javascript errors when it tries to bring up the avatar importer. This issue persisted through an uninstall / reinstall.

The original maintainer of vtta-tokenizer had a kid and isn't maintaining it anymore. So if you're still on that branch somehow you need to drop it. The current version is here. I had some issues with it for a while, but it's been fine after the last couple updates.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

VikingofRock posted:

vtta-tokenizer has been abandoned by the dev. The last commit was like 10 months ago. There's a new one at https://vtta.io/assets but I haven't played with it yet

e:f,b

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'd taken my kiddos through the beginners box, but my first big-boy session ever GMed of Pathfdinder 2e was a big success. We are doing Age of Ashes and the players are all new to the system. All 4 of them said they loved it, have been talking about characters, strategy, and just chatting about the system a lot. Foundry is truly incredible compared to the massive unflushed turd that is PF2e on Roll20. Can't wait for the next session where they should level up and progress farther into chapter 2 and 3

They are currently a bard/champion/rogue/alchemist so they don't have any real combat healing. Other than handing out additional hero points what's a good way to give them a bit of a hand, just toss a wand of heal?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Syrinxx posted:

I'd taken my kiddos through the beginners box, but my first big-boy session ever GMed of Pathfdinder 2e was a big success. We are doing Age of Ashes and the players are all new to the system. All 4 of them said they loved it, have been talking about characters, strategy, and just chatting about the system a lot. Foundry is truly incredible compared to the massive unflushed turd that is PF2e on Roll20. Can't wait for the next session where they should level up and progress farther into chapter 2 and 3

They are currently a bard/champion/rogue/alchemist so they don't have any real combat healing. Other than handing out additional hero points what's a good way to give them a bit of a hand, just toss a wand of heal?

A wand won't cut it because wands are just one a day in this edition. Encourage one of more of your players to specialize in medicine and they will be okay. The assurance feat and battle medicine feats will put them in a decent spot.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That sounds like an ok amount of healing abilities based on the party I got through book 1/level 5 with. Consider giving them free archetypes but I assume they have that already. Or someone will die and that's opportunity!

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Wands can't be used unless they have the spell on their spell list, and UMD is a feat chain in this edition and maybe not worth it (maybe for the rogue, they get a lot of feats.) The martial way to heal is to go into medicine and get battle medicine. The champion can almost handle between fight healing by themselves with lay on hands though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
An alchemist should be able to craft elixirs of health during downtime as well.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Syrinxx posted:

Bard should be able to serve as a primary healer. Mind you I don't know how effective it is at low level but Im in book 4 and it works.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
The Bard can take Soothe, which is a good healing spell. Other than that, Medicine was mentioned, and is critical. Get your players into the habit of healing up to full after each encounter using medicine - the combat is balanced around that.

Be aware that Age of Ashes was the first Adventure Path and can be a bit rough, some fights are quite deadly. Consider using the "Free Archetype" Variant from the DMG to give your players some more options to cope with that.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 7, 2021

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thanks, I will encourage those solutions. I think battle medicine and assuance alone will probably suffice unless someone gets crit hard during combat and has immunity to battle med. The alchemist elixirs kind of suck but can be used to get someone back up at least.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Syrinxx posted:

Thanks, I will encourage those solutions. I think battle medicine and assuance alone will probably suffice unless someone gets crit hard during combat and has immunity to battle med. The alchemist elixirs kind of suck but can be used to get someone back up at least.

Alchemist Elixirs kind of slingshot between extremely good and lackluster depending on relative party level to the various tiers at which the alchemist gets upgrades to elixir of life formula. The level 1 version definitely sucks, but at level 5, 3d6+6 from something that your alchemist can cook up a functionally unlimited amount of to hand out between adventures is Not Bad, and another 2d6+3 at every 4 levels thereafter tends to keep things on pace. Given the overall action economy in 2e, if you are generous about letting players grab and drink as a single action (which strictly speaking, is not kosher without various gimmicks), it ought to be enough for everyone to mind themselves outside of getting absolutely crit-down.

Give the party a bunch of downtime for the alchemist to cook every few levels and you should be fine.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I like allowing quickdraw to apply to things another than strikes such as potions and maneuvers, as one example for a little more help to the players.

I love Pathfinder 2e so much. Free archetype is the best rule in the game. It doesn't add that much raw power, but a lot more versatility and some fun options for roleplay with stuff like Celebrity. Some power is nice too tho. But being able to work in these other archetype options as you level is great for character building

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 7, 2021

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Alchemist Elixirs kind of slingshot between extremely good and lackluster depending on relative party level to the various tiers at which the alchemist gets upgrades to elixir of life formula. The level 1 version definitely sucks, but at level 5, 3d6+6 from something that your alchemist can cook up a functionally unlimited amount of to hand out between adventures is Not Bad, and another 2d6+3 at every 4 levels thereafter tends to keep things on pace. Given the overall action economy in 2e, if you are generous about letting players grab and drink as a single action (which strictly speaking, is not kosher without various gimmicks), it ought to be enough for everyone to mind themselves outside of getting absolutely crit-down.

Give the party a bunch of downtime for the alchemist to cook every few levels and you should be fine.

When you craft something you have to spend at least half the item's cost in raw materials, so making a bunch of elixirs of life at level 5 to hand out isn't cheap even with downtime, and crafting downtime isn't more lucrative than anything else. Might as well max out perform and use the proceeds to buy elixirs of life, same overall effect. Crafting in PF2E is really only good in some niche circumstance where the GM won't let you buy on level magic items, but will let you sit around making poo poo with ready access to raw materials (that you presumably have to buy at a shop...) I guess it's also much easier to "make" money crafting in downtime if your GM is weirdly adversarial about the earned income rules or something, but still chooses to give you downtime.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I'm making a caster in a pathfinder 1 game a friend is running. I have played a lot of pathfinder but never an actual full caster. Our group is good on damage and healing so I was going to go with a buff/debuff focus. I put together an arcanist and the decent counterspelling and the ability to increase the save DC by 2 with my arcanist points sounded really good when it comes to save or suck spells. They also seemed like a good intro to spell casting, too. However, the more I think about it though I feel like a prepared caster would be better so I don't have to spend a whole spell slot on one spell I may only really need one of a day. Would I just be better off making a witch instead if my goal isn't to deal damage?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

CongoJack posted:

I'm making a caster in a pathfinder 1 game a friend is running. I have played a lot of pathfinder but never an actual full caster. Our group is good on damage and healing so I was going to go with a buff/debuff focus. I put together an arcanist and the decent counterspelling and the ability to increase the save DC by 2 with my arcanist points sounded really good when it comes to save or suck spells. They also seemed like a good intro to spell casting, too. However, the more I think about it though I feel like a prepared caster would be better so I don't have to spend a whole spell slot on one spell I may only really need one of a day. Would I just be better off making a witch instead if my goal isn't to deal damage?

If you want to be OP be an Arcanist with Quick Study so you can swap spells as a full round action and also Dimensional Slide so you’re basically immortal and that’s sorta all you need tbh. Potent Magic is also good. Brown Fur Transmuter is also just a strict upgrade to the Arcanist but you gotta like really talk to your party before hand and make stat blocks for them and poo poo. You can also get Wizard school through School Understanding and pick Diviner to always act in surprise round. Brown Fur and Diviner are totally unnecessary though.

If you want to be OP a level sooner be an exploiter wizard but honestly it doesn’t make much of a difference

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 13, 2021

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Witch is pretty good at debuffing, though, with hexes on top of a decent number of spells.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Arcanist is the best of both casting worlds since you have a spellbook but flexible slots. Don't play a Brown-Fur Transmuter unless you have another player that's super into the idea, I had one join a campaign briefly and it was pretty sad when she asked who wanted to turn into a weird monster and got crickets all around.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

CongoJack posted:

If you're concerned about having to "waste" a slot on a spell you might only use once, you can just use scrolls and wands, but you should take quick study. You can also play an exploiter wizard, which steals the only good part of the arcanist kit, but is otherwise a wizard so in practice it's just a better arcanist. The witch is really good in a buff/debuff role, but doesn't solve the problem of trying out a full caster for you. Just play a wizard, everyone should play a wizard at some point in pathfinder.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

OutsideAngel posted:

Arcanist is the best of both casting worlds since you have a spellbook but flexible slots. Don't play a Brown-Fur Transmuter unless you have another player that's super into the idea, I had one join a campaign briefly and it was pretty sad when she asked who wanted to turn into a weird monster and got crickets all around.

The only downside there is that they get the slower spell level progression of the sorcerer and a number of spells per day between the wizard and sorcerer. It's possible to work around (unless you REALLY need to cast Fly at level 5 and can't get/afford potions or a wand) but if you're using point buy it doesn't make it easy to afford points in charisma for exploits.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Charisma is a trap for arcanists in my experience. Dimensional Slide, quick study, school understanding, potent magic, familiar, gets you pretty far in exploits and outside of intentionally really long adventuring days you kinda don't run out of arcane pool, especially if you take extra arcane pool. Get a +1 in cha and you're fine.

Exploiter wizard is still stronger but again it's completely and totally unnecessary, it's like having 1000 nukes instead of 100.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I'm currently in a game with an arcanist running Dimensional Slide, Quick Study, Potent Magic, and Familiar and yeah, it's extremely strong. They actually noted in our last session that they're basically never at risk of running out of arcane points, even though we're on 15pb and they didn't put much in charisma. The casting progression is slightly delayed but given that the rest of the part is an oracle (all-in on heals, almost never casts other spells), bard, inquisitor (with one level of swashbuckler), and a hunter, it's not noticeable. Quick Study takes the silver bullet nature of a prepared caster and ratchets it up to 11 where you can swap into a relevant spell for a situation in a single round, orders of magnitude faster than other prepared casters.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Arcane Pool isn't based on Cha in any meaningful way outside of consume spells/consume magic items, it's 3 + 1/2 arcanist level per day.

If you prep mostly combat utility and control spells (e.g. Haste, pits, walls, black tentacles, icy prison), get Quick Study, a normal scroll library (e.g. gust of wind, invsibility, invisibility sphere, fly, fog cloud, etc etc), jam your spell book full of any conceivably useful spell, and get a Mnemonic Vestment, you will have an answer to almost anything that happens outside of combat, and most stuff that happens in combat. If it's on the arcane list and it can answer a problem then it's literally only a full round action away. It can be a problem

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Yeah, I should've clarified that I meant they weren't relying on the cha-based ways to refill their pool. We aren't completely in a fifteen minute adventuring day, but we're something close to that. It's a potential problem that can be exacerbated if you're running with default magic item purchase rules, because picking up a dozen 1st - 3rd level scrolls can run less than the cost of a +1 weapon and adds a ton of additional versatility.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I'm playing a heavy support Arcanist myself right now. Magaambyan Initiate into the associated prestige class, has various ways to cast or swap out a spell you'll only use once a day.

For example, I cast Blood Money into Communal Stoneskin at the start of the day, then I change that into Wall of Force using spontaneous spell mastery. You need to reach mid levels to get fancy, but even just the base archetype has access to vital Druid spells like Barkskin and Communal Delay Poison for a tax of one arcane point.

It honestly might be too good. And it works great if you need to dump charisma, since you're only getting a handful of exploits before taking the prestige class.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I will look at exploiter wizard but will probably just keep on with arcanist and see how it goes!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

After playing 6 PFS scenarios as a newbie, I can say without a doubt that this game is too loving hard at levels 1 and 2. Every one of these sessions is just 2-3 hours of RP stuff, maybe a softball of a battle with a couple -1 creatures, then 40 minutes of some 'boss' rolling high 20s on attacks and deleting players. I also really feel like PFS GMs should stop open rolling, use their screen, and actually permit new people to have fun in organized play.

I type this as I watch the 3rd TPK unfold and witness the ~12th death I have seen in a society game, and I just started in February :catstare:

If it matters, I DMed about 300 hours of Adventurers League in 2020 so I do feel like I have a good grasp on how some of this should feel to TTRPG players

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

After playing 6 PFS scenarios as a newbie, I can say without a doubt that this game is too loving hard at levels 1 and 2. Every one of these sessions is just 2-3 hours of RP stuff, maybe a softball of a battle with a couple -1 creatures, then 40 minutes of some 'boss' rolling high 20s on attacks and deleting players. I also really feel like PFS GMs should stop open rolling, use their screen, and actually permit new people to have fun in organized play.

I type this as I watch the 3rd TPK unfold and witness the ~12th death I have seen in a society game, and I just started in February :catstare:

If it matters, I DMed about 300 hours of Adventurers League in 2020 so I do feel like I have a good grasp on how some of this should feel to TTRPG players

Here I am never having seen a permanent death outside of a high level special. Are you talking about PF2 or PF1?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

OgreNoah posted:

Here I am never having seen a permanent death outside of a high level special. Are you talking about PF2 or PF1?

It's 2e. Also listening to MNmaxed and they just repeatedly get their loving asses kicked and had deaths during plaguestone and are all nearly dead in the episode I'm listening to for extinction curse lol

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

It's 2e. Also listening to MNmaxed and they just repeatedly get their loving asses kicked and had deaths during plaguestone and are all nearly dead in the episode I'm listening to for extinction curse lol

I haven't seen any deaths at all in PFS2 play so far. I've been brought to dying 2, but battle medicine and heal/soothe has always fixed things in time. I dunno what other people are doing to cause these issues. I've got a lvl 7, 3, 2 and 1 currently.

The Extinction Curse actual play podcast I listen to from Fantastic Worlds Podcasts is going swimmingly, they're at level 3 and plowing through things. I have heard that Plaguestone is very overtuned though. Haven't played it myself. Also, don't do The Slithering with a class that relies on precision damage.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I've had some close calls in PFS 2e, but usually because nobody in the party is a healer and nobody brought any sort of healing besides the free Minor Healing potion they get if they went through the Pathfinder schools instead of being a Field Commission agent for the extra downtime days.

I've been in plenty of games where my Mountain Style monk was the highest AC haver in the party, though yeah, the Boss monster seems to almost always get to hit like a loving truck and only miss by rolling lower than 4.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

My years as an Adventurer’s League DM taught me the value of a GM screen at low-level tables. In D&D 5e and PF2E both, low levels are punishing because party resources are scarce and players have far fewer ways to absorb bad luck than they would at higher levels. It’s a GM’s job to make sure people are having fun, and I will cheat like hell if things are too hard or too easy.

I was a big holdout against this for a very long time, having grown up powergaming 3.5 with a super munchkiny friend group who would absolutely call bullshit the instant they couldn’t see the GM’s dice. When I DM’d AL tables at conventions or gaming cafes, the rolls were all out in the open and the dice did what the dice did. Then, one night, one of our long-time regulars at my neighborhood FLGS brought his daughter in to play at my Tier 1 table. She was super excited to play, had a backstory and everything for her level one rogue, and then I downed her on the first round of her first combat before she could take a turn. The party had no healer, and after three rounds of bad death saves she bled out on the pavement. She actually started crying, and even though I whipped up a Baldur’s Gate paramedic squad to get her back into the story, she never showed up at AL night again.

I’m currently playing in an Extinction Curse campaign run by a friend who is a longtime player but novice GM. That book has a very rough start, and he wasn’t experienced enough either to know how to tone down encounters on the fly or to hide his rolls for the story’s sake. The party had poo poo luck, the GM had great luck, and the big encounter at the end of the first chapter was an enormous, punishing slog that ultimately ended with everyone on the ground, racking up Dying levels due to ongoing damage, except for the bard who got the last blow on the evil druid before also going down to ongoing damage. Nobody enjoyed it and the first-time GM needed a ton of consoling because he thought he’d ruined everyone’s night.

Cheating is good, friends. If the rules won’t let you tell a good story with the stats they give you, hide your rolls and declare whatever result is the best for your table.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Seems like all versions of D&D have the Anvil of Level One problem where the game is mathematically harder and the players have less disaster mitigation, with the game becoming successively easier with each level until the players can only die by being utterly incompetent or the DM being sadistic and unfair. Sometimes a problem with video games as well.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Both Fall of Plaguestone and Extinction Curse were written before PF2s ruleset got its final revision and they ended up incredibly overtuned. They both have encounters that are comical in their lethality and a lot of single tough monsters to fight at low levels, which are the swingiest fights and thus the most likely to have the GM roll 4 or 5 15+S and crit the party off the table.

I did a review of one encounter from Plaguestone and it’s just way too hard.

https://theadventuringparty.libsyn.com/death-save-mar-2021-deadliest-encounters-the-sculptor

I’ve played Fall, Extinction Curse and Abomination Vaults and Abomination Vaults is much better tuned, bar one level 1 monster with Vampiric Touch ( which was just an oversight) and the fact you can head down levels a bit early if you don’t meta game a little.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I just started Extinction Curse 2 sessions ago, and almost had my first death in Chapter 1. There's a mind-control trap that hit the barbarian, who lashed out at the swashbuckler with his greatsword and critted. If he had rolled a 12 on his D12, it would have been an instant kill. Pretty tense. Doubly so because the two players are married and it was the day before their anniversary ;)

That trap in general is some bullshit though, and I nerfed it by giving it multiple initiatives in increments of -5, instead of having it do 4 fricking attacks without MAP at +a bajillion initiative, after an initial reaction attack. That plant was the toughest encounter so far.

I did notice that my players are a bit overwhelmed and not playing to their characters' fullest potential yet, but I hope they'll grow into it soon. But yes, level 1 is tough. Medicine checks are hard, there's few things people can do, noone had battle medicine... level 2 opens up so many new options, especially with Free Archetype.

Other than that, we had a blast. We play over Foundray, and I spent a LOT of time beforehand preparing, and my players noticed and appreciated it. I had Circus music for every act (including the magician performing to the Final Countdown). I had a soundboard with audience reactions. Spotlights that turned on when the lights dimmed. The atmosphere was great. I will have to put some work into the campaign to have the circus stay relevant throughout.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Syrinxx posted:

Can I ask what scenarios you were playing? Also don't take that as an excuse because that shouldn't be happening. Even with some wonky scenario balance and issues you shouldn't be averaging 4 deaths a month and a TPK a month.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 16, 2021