Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I think you guys are overreacting with Top Golf. It's fine for what it is and honestly it's pretty fun. I don't go there to practice regularly of course but it's fun to go with a couple of friends, drink some beer, eat decent food and play target practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Bust out your own wedge and hit the same shot over and over into the center of one of the hole things and you’ll win by a poo poo ton

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kirios posted:

I think you guys are overreacting with Top Golf. It's fine for what it is and honestly it's pretty fun. I don't go there to practice regularly of course but it's fun to go with a couple of friends, drink some beer, eat decent food and play target practice.

I may have been overreacting slightly considering I had just paid $100 for the privilege of drinking bad beer and hitting balls into light up targets. I mean it was a $300 bill for 3 hours of TopGolf, and only one of us had food, that's crazy.

I think if you treat it like a night out bowling, going to keep using that analogy because I find bowling intensely boring, then sure, it's a fun time.

Edit: Oh, and the sensors on the targets worked about 70% of the time which is kinda frustrating.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
We went to DriveShack in Orlando on the company dime today and yeah, it is that much better on company money. I think I had to hit about five balls at one point for it to register. Definitely the poor man’s TopGolf.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I’m finally launching my ballmarker business on Saturday but I figured I’d give y’all a sneak peek.

(This one always seems desaturated but it’s much brighter in person and on my phone)

The site is: https://villains.golf
Instagram is: https://instagram.com/villains.golf?igshid=u453mhczfvph

I’m very excited to get going. Gonna head out to the course tomorrow to take some more photos then launch at noon on Saturday. They turned out way better than I expected so I’m looking forward to getting some more designs going.

Daric fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 25, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

I’m finally launching my ballmarker business on Saturday but I figured I’d give y’all a sneak peek.

(This one always seems desaturated but it’s much brighter in person and on my phone)

The site is: https://villains.golf
Instagram is: https://instagram.com/villains.golf?igshid=u453mhczfvph

I’m very excited to get going. Gonna head out to the course tomorrow to take some more photos then launch at noon on Saturday. They turned out way better than I expected so I’m looking forward to getting some more designs going.

Killer stuff. Although is there an obstacle to selling IP like this? I never thought about it when you were originally were posting.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
We’ll find out. I only have 100 of each and I’m not making any more of each design so if I get a cease and desist I’m not out any significant amount of money.

But if you look at Etsy there’s thousands of enamel pins for every character you can imagine so I don’t think they’re going after everyone, especially not in such limited quantities.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

We’ll find out. I only have 100 of each and I’m not making any more of each design so if I get a cease and desist I’m not out any significant amount of money.

But if you look at Etsy there’s thousands of enamel pins for every character you can imagine so I don’t think they’re going after everyone, especially not in such limited quantities.

Yeah, but man those look so good... that if things go well I'd look at expanding and getting some officially licensed poo poo! You have the resources and that could be a fun market to corner.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah a huge portion of Etsy is listings of items like "British wizard fantasy high school prints" and "comic night vigilante in bat themed costume sculpture"

I'd imagine you'll be fine

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Daric posted:

How much does DC and Marvel charge for licensing of their IP for something like this?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

How much does DC and Marvel charge for licensing of their IP for something like this?

a lot

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Yeah I'm just going to play this one by ear because my ideas are Villain themed, so if I was to get licensing for every character I want to do I would need Marvel, DC, Universal, Disney, Star Wars, etc.

So we'll see. Hopefully I can fly under the radar. If not, I haven't spent very much money and I have a bunch of really good looking ballmarkers so I'll find something to do with them.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
My buddy is a huge comic fan, will cop these for sure.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Getting a little twilight in tomorrow. Plus side, supposed to be about 80, downside, wind gusts up to 50mph lol.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
That’ll obviously suck for most of the round until you get to a par 5 down wind

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

It did suck, but not in a bad way if that makes sense. We (3 of us) decided to play a scramble because the wind was that crazy. Ended up shooting -3 which isn't great but not bad considering every hole was a 3+ club wind in either direction.

I walked and my legs are so much more tired than they usually are just from fighting the wind most holes. Felt like 14 of the 18 holes were against the wind.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy fuckin poo poo Sergio

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1375567880113299459

ESPN posted:

AUSTIN, Texas -- Sergio Garcia advanced in a sudden-death playoff with a hole-in-one on the fourth extra hole of the Dell Technologies Match Play on Friday.

Garcia hit a 9-iron that landed just beyond the hole and rolled back a few inches.

That gave him a victory over Lee Westwood and sends the Garcia into the knockout stage of the weekend for the third straight time at Austin Country Club.

"I don't know. I really don't know what to say," Garcia said. "... You get lucky that, first of all, it doesn't hit the flag, because it was very close to hitting the flag -- and then it rolls back in. [I'm] obviously very happy about that. I'm sorry for Lee ... but, unfortunately, one of us had to lose."

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Calm down Kameh, oh wait lol

That's incredible.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

I'm going to circle back to this for a second...

I actually really liked playing in crazy wind because it made you think about hitting a shot instead of hitting a spot if that makes any sense.

It wasn't aim at the flag because that's what you're supposed to aim at right? It was, ok, I need to aim this 30 yards right because if I hit a five yard draw it should drop right at the flag. Next hole, ok if I hit a five yard draw I need to aim 20 yards left because the wind will push it back.

It was a lot of fun trying to shape shots into bonkers wind.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The thing about wind that I never really thought about or realized until I got older is that the wind doesn’t help nearly as much on downwind holes as it hurts on up wind holes.

Especially if you’re playing somewhere with small greens, or greens that you can’t run the ball onto, it’s just hard to stop the ball down wind. So while it’s great that you can hit a 7 iron instead of a 5 iron, but there’s so many courses where long is just dead ya know?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I don’t want to self promote too much but I launched my site at 12 and immediately got 11 orders. It’s a very exciting day for me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DoctaFun posted:

The thing about wind that I never really thought about or realized until I got older is that the wind doesn’t help nearly as much on downwind holes as it hurts on up wind holes.

Especially if you’re playing somewhere with small greens, or greens that you can’t run the ball onto, it’s just hard to stop the ball down wind. So while it’s great that you can hit a 7 iron instead of a 5 iron, but there’s so many courses where long is just dead ya know?

Yeah, I hit a 3 iron 300 yards with a 38 mph tailwind. Sitting at 100 yards to the green, I sailed it into a back bunker. But I still love high wind play, because it does force a more thinking approach even to a very familiar course.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Daric posted:

I don’t want to self promote too much but I launched my site at 12 and immediately got 11 orders. It’s a very exciting day for me.

Just bought all 3!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

BonoMan posted:

Just bought all 3!

Awesome! Thank you so much.

I honestly wasn't expecting to sell anything so this is crazy.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

"Dan, you played with Sergio at the Open when he was just SIXTEEN!"
"Wow."
"Did you know, then, that he might be something special?"
"No."

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

This 100%. My 100 and in game was totally on fire yesterday, except for the wind pushing all of my touch shots 15 yards long. It was very frustrating. Perfect feeling shots flying right over the flagstick.

Daric posted:

Awesome! Thank you so much.

I honestly wasn't expecting to sell anything so this is crazy.

That's awesome dude. Hopefully you can keep selling at a level where the Mouse doesn't notice but you get some fat stacks.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Anybody used Sugar golf balls before? TXG just reviewed them and they are basically ProV1 clones for ~30% of the price or so. I ordered a couple boxes just to try them since I don't have a huge stockpile right now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Anybody used Sugar golf balls before? TXG just reviewed them and they are basically ProV1 clones for ~30% of the price or so. I ordered a couple boxes just to try them since I don't have a huge stockpile right now.

Interesting. Let us know how they perform.

All these boutique balls appearing that are "ProV1" clones has me wondering if there's one factory pumping them all out and just branding them with whoever is paying for them at the time.

Vice/Sugar/Snell/Kirkland/Cut

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

mattfl posted:

Interesting. Let us know how they perform.

All these boutique balls appearing that are "ProV1" clones has me wondering if there's one factory pumping them all out and just branding them with whoever is paying for them at the time.

Vice/Sugar/Snell/Kirkland/Cut

Yeah the original Kirkland balls came from a South Korean factory and were legit, the current models aren't as good though. Vice and Cut have each put out some really good balls that stand up to any of the top tier premium balls imo. I've been a fan of the MG C4 balls for a while too and they are always available for $20/dozen.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Anyone have experience with the Samsung active 2 golf edition? I have a garmin s2 that constantly loses satellite. I'm hesitant to spend more with Garmin, despite their reputation, and looking for alternatives. I don't care much for club predictions or goofy addons- just accurate gps and shot recording.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah the original Kirkland balls came from a South Korean factory and were legit, the current models aren't as good though. Vice and Cut have each put out some really good balls that stand up to any of the top tier premium balls imo. I've been a fan of the MG C4 balls for a while too and they are always available for $20/dozen.

I was going to say, I thought I had recently read a review of the Kirkland balls saying they were a big step down in quality now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Petey posted:

I was going to say, I thought I had recently read a review of the Kirkland balls saying they were a big step down in quality now.

I think that's probably due to the lawsuit Acushnet brought against them because Kirklands were a little too similar to Titleists so they had to change them.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm so fed up with hybrid woods that this year I purchased a (relatively) cheap 2 iron, a good mid-sized grip, and a nice shaft for it, and figure if I can spend $120-150 on this experiment to go back to my roots and rid myself of the evils of hating my long-range-mid-game, then so be it.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 28, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

2 irons are great but so are 5 woods

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

2 irons are great but so are 5 woods

I would LOVE to think so but I just can't hit a shillelagh off the deck to save my drat life, and I never could, even when I was a DECENT golfer :(
I grew up hitting irons in those spots (my granpa was particularly gifted and played a 1 iron, and I even learned to hit THAT occasionally!!), hitting a rescue wood frightens and confuses me and I always float the drat thing and top the ball. It's a terrible habit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

I would LOVE to think so but I just can't hit a shillelagh off the deck to save my drat life, and I never could, even when I was a DECENT golfer :(
I grew up hitting irons in those spots (my granpa was particularly gifted and played a 1 iron, and I even learned to hit THAT occasionally!!), hitting a rescue wood frightens and confuses me and I always float the drat thing and top the ball. It's a terrible habit.
Oh no I’ve never been a fan of utility woods. But I do find a 5 wood more practical than a 2 iron even though I’m happy to hit either.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

What I was really hoping for was that one of the 2020/21 "Extreme game improvement Irons" series from various manufacturers, or even just "game improvement" iron sets would feature a 2 Iron, and none do. None offer a 'single club' purchase option above a 4 iron, expecting the modern player to be loaded with hybrids.

I had to turn to ye olde cavity backs of ill repute and trudge through some stuff. You can get 2's of various major manufacturers if you want to get ice-cold blades as part of a set, but good luck if you're interested in a particular maker's set of irons of any sort, sub $2k, even offering a 2, let alone selling it as a single.

So. Into the great wide open...

e: anyway it was a

Lazrus 2 Iron
KBS Tour 90 Iron shaft
Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grip

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 28, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is it possible to get oversized grips for all my clubs? I have big rear end hands and the oversized grip for my putter is so much more comfortable than the normal grips on all my clubs. I feel like I would have much more control with grips that fit my hands better on all my clubs.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You can do whatever you want, provided it doesn't conform to your hands (like gripping a pistol or game controller, aside from a putter) and doesn't exceed 1.75 inches.

For putters, the grip can include pistol grips and all kinds of weird poo poo, as long as it isn't outside that 1.75 boundary.

You can have a 5 iron with a grip of two pieces of toast, you'd be fine. No butter or jelly though, that's a foreign substance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What about the Titleist U500/U510 or TaylorMade UDI?