Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, they're loving hilarious.

(same end-game spoilers)

The passives DOUBLE UP AND STACK if you wield two of them. My Adelle has two instances of Last Resort, which given that she sits at 1 HP all the time, means she cranks out 99,999 damage non-crit Death's Doors.

Dirk the Average posted:

Even better, they stack if you equip the ability too. Dual thief knives with the rob blind passive equipped as well means that you steal 4 copies of items from enemies.

Hahaha what the the gently caress. :shepface:

Edit: oh wow, I just learned that the writer for BD1 also write Steins;Gate. Well drat, then.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Uhh, I may have gone a little ham. I wanted to grind a bit to max out thief while watching TV...

I'm still in chapter 1

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What possesses people to do this? :psyduck:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Pollyanna posted:

What stat determines # of hits per attack? I wanted to make a Swordmaster that does damage via regular attacks + Solid Stance, but I can’t seem to get that number any higher than 15.

No idea what it is here but Agility was the determinate stat in BDI and BS, along with job level (and specific job) in Bravely Default and character level (and specific job) in Second. Logic dictates that agility wouldn't be used here as well, because it also determines the number of turns you get thanks to the pseudo-ATB system, but... I can't say my opinion on the ability of the BDII team to balance the game is very high. :v:

I can try and help test when it's not 2 AM over here, though keep in mind that you'll need Frenetic Fighting to get more than 16 hits anyways. If you're willing to tap into buffs Quick and Quickga also increase hit count. (Also might be a good idea to equip Bloody Minded so all of the hits connect.)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

raditts posted:

lol, so if you break the storyline in New Game+ by defeating Adam in the scripted prologue battle (or I guess if you're insane enough to powerlevel enough to beat him on your first playthrough), Edna basically pops up and says "I'm taking my night's nexus and going home" and the game ends and tells you that you have to lose if you want to go any further.

I wonder if you can somehow beat Galahad on the first try in New Game+ too...

Pollyanna posted:

Let me tell you about my pile of 99 Defenders...

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 27, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Do i have to do a couple of the main quest points in chapter 6 before i can get the final job or can i go grab it right from the beginning.

I can't get a clear picture from some of the guides as many seem to be written in this vague "oh we're a guide but don't want to spoil things for you" shite style of writing which clearly someone looking for future spoilers or a guide wouldn't give a poo poo about.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's not optional, you have to do it as part of the plot.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I want the JP and I don't like having to wait to get what I want

In any case, only a few episodes of Invincible while I grinded the flower girl

Then, once I beat her, I wanted Icebrand, so I godspeed strike'd him a few times too. At this level, he doesn't hit terribly hard, the worst part is resetting him

also, eventually, I'll go back and complete each beastiary to show their drops there

edit: oh also so far I have 250k pg too lol

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 27, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Does the Card Sharp’s Case increase JP for everyone or just the character with it equipped?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

iirc it directly modifies the post-battle rewards so everyone's JP is affected

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You can, but the game just rewinds to immediately before you talked to him after a brief Folie monologue to the effect of “that didn’t happen”

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

God, the more I think about BD2's story, the more I'm disappointed. I could write an absolute shitload of words, but I dunno if anyone else is interested in talking about it. :v:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want the JP and I don't like having to wait to get what I want

In any case, only a few episodes of Invincible while I grinded the flower girl

Then, once I beat her, I wanted Icebrand, so I godspeed strike'd him a few times too. At this level, he doesn't hit terribly hard, the worst part is resetting him

also, eventually, I'll go back and complete each beastiary to show their drops there

edit: oh also so far I have 250k pg too lol

I mean, I get you on that. I just don't think BD2 is good enough to be worth investing that much time into. If the gameplay was tighter and better balanced, I'd consider it, but as-is it's not worth binging the side content.

AweStriker posted:

You can, but the game just rewinds to immediately before you talked to him after a brief Folie monologue to the effect of “that didn’t happen”

My "World's Worst Dungeon Master" theory is starting to prove more and more correct.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Deki posted:

Managed to steal 2 insane daggers from a world boss while loving about seeing what they all had available with magpie, but they're too heavy to use, much less DW :negative:

-weight accessories rule.

Pollyanna posted:

Sadness is missing three Godspeed Strikes in a row. :negative:

The answer to all of life's problems can be found in Berserker. :black101:

Pollyanna posted:

If we got this game as the first entry instead of BD1, there wouldn’t have been any sequels. Even now, I’m willing to bet there will never be a Bravely Default 3. And if there is, I ain’t buying it.

It sold 93k copies its first week in Japan, compared to 140k for BD1 and 100k or so for BS. Pretty sue the (3)DS userbase was much larger than the Switch is but :shrug:

Hopefully they just aren't expecting sales in the range of Octopath's since whatever Octopath's sales goal originally was that game has definitely lapped it a few times with 2.5m+ sales at this point. Hopefully Triangle Strategy's demo having echos of Tactics Ogre means that game will be a proper spiritual successor (or that they kidnapped Matsuno from FFXIV or w/e he's working on now).

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Switch outsold the 3DS family at this point

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

It sold 93k copies its first week in Japan, compared to 140k for BD1 and 100k or so for BS. Pretty sue the (3)DS userbase was much larger than the Switch is but :shrug:

Isn't this number for physical copies sold, not accounting for digital downloads?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The bolded is wildly incorrect. The Switch has sold more units in 4 years than the 3DS did in 10.

quote:

Hopefully they just aren't expecting sales in the range of Octopath's since whatever Octopath's sales goal originally was that game has definitely lapped it a few times with 2.5m+ sales at this point. Hopefully Triangle Strategy's demo having echos of Tactics Ogre means that game will be a proper spiritual successor (or that they kidnapped Matsuno from FFXIV or w/e he's working on now).

:psyduck: Octopath sold that well? I couldn't get into it at all.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I picked up octopath and kept bouncing on it, the story was pretty lame and the combat wasn't BD

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LiefKatano posted:

iirc it directly modifies the post-battle rewards so everyone's JP is affected

:nice: gonna use that to grind jobs. Is it worth mastering every job for the boost to Freelancer?Also lv 12 counts as Mastered for that purpose, even if you unlock more job levels, right?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pollyanna posted:

God, the more I think about BD2's story, the more I'm disappointed. I could write an absolute shitload of words, but I dunno if anyone else is interested in talking about it. :v:

:justpost:

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Pollyanna posted:

Do it, there's a lot of problems I have with the story and the game's structure in general and definitely would want to hear some other thoughts on them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pollyanna posted:

Finally finished the game. tl;dr: Just go replay Bravely Default 1 instead.

-

Uh, woof. As a big fan of the first two games, this one was disappointing for a whole host of reasons.

This game wasnt made by the same people, and boy does it show. Nothing that made the first game great, or even the second one, is present. The story has no imagination or creativity, the mechanics are rough and poorly balanced, the world/dungeon design is blatantly unfinished, there are no hooks to keep you interested, there are no true oh-poo poo or what-the-gently caress moments, there is zero sense of mystery or wonder, and the awesome-per-second is pitifully low.

By the time I got to the final boss, I was mashing A to just get the drat thing over with. Theres a New Game+, and for the first time ever, Im not going to do a New Game+ run.

If we got this game as the first entry instead of BD1, there wouldnt have been any sequels. Even now, Im willing to bet there will never be a Bravely Default 3. And if there is, I aint buying it.

At least the music is good. :smith:

drat, I didn't think it was quite that bad. like the game world is bland and the game was clearly rushed despite being delayed a year and lots of poo poo in the plot makes no sense and is just left hanging, but without a BD1 to compare it to I think it ranks near the bottom in terms of Final Fantasy games, like not even the worst in terms of those. I'm probably never going to play it again but I didn't hate the 80-some hours I spent with it.

In terms of BD games I think it ranks above the trainwreck that was Bravely Second at least (now there's a game I regret playing, the only thing it had going for it was that batshit ending sequence), but nowhere near as good as BD1 of course.

Pollyanna posted:

I dunno but this thread is full of people talking about doing that. Like the game is long enough and this poo poo is totally unnecessary because there are enough ways to break the game over your knee just through normal play? I dunno, I don't get it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 27, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

raditts posted:

drat, I didn't think it was quite that bad. like the game world is bland and the game was clearly rushed despite being delayed a year and lots of poo poo in the plot makes no sense and is just left hanging, but without a BD1 to compare it to I think it ranks near the bottom in terms of Final Fantasy games, like not even the worst in terms of those. I'm probably never going to play it again but I didn't hate the 80-some hours I spent with it.

In terms of BD games I think it ranks about the trainwreck that was Bravely Second at least (now there's a game I regret playing, the only thing it had going for it was that batshit ending sequence), but nowhere near as good as BD1 of course.

I mean, as a game, BD2 is fine if often tedious. But at about the 35-40 hour mark, playing it felt like I was going through the motions waiting to see The Cool Stuff, and then it basically didn't happen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kin posted:

Do i have to do a couple of the main quest points in chapter 6 before i can get the final job or can i go grab it right from the beginning.

I can't get a clear picture from some of the guides as many seem to be written in this vague "oh we're a guide but don't want to spoil things for you" shite style of writing which clearly someone looking for future spoilers or a guide wouldn't give a poo poo about.

do you mean, can you get the final job before you do the fake ending? Not sure, since I only did it the one time and I didn't know about it beforehand. If I had to guess I'd say probably not, since it would make no sense plotwise.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I nearly did on my first playthrough, if the game let me have one more turn before it made us auto-flee I could've taken him down easily. I'm gonna try playing up to that point again in NG+ before I shelf the game for good.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

The bolded is wildly incorrect. The Switch has sold more units in 4 years than the 3DS did in 10.

:psyduck: Octopath sold that well? I couldn't get into it at all.

Octopath mined nostalgia at a time where there was a lull between JRPG remasters. Frankly it was a pretty mediocre game and the story/character interaction was awful.

BD2 is weird and kinda meh for different reasons but ultimately the job system carries it despite the flaws. I have a laundry list of complaints about the game - technical mess, lovely characters, bad writing, uneven difficulty, below average visuals and so on. Yet I still keep playing because unlocking jobs and combinations is pretty fun. Definitely didn't have that with Octopath.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Man I'm glad I didn't come into this with whatever expectations y'all had because I found the game to be outstanding. :shrug:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Man I'm glad I didn't come into this with whatever expectations y'all had because I found the game to be outstanding. :shrug:

Like I said, it was decent enough to keep me playing and enjoying it for 80 hours (which is about 75 more hours than I could stand with Octopath, for instance) but the flaws are pretty hard to ignore even if you like it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

It wasn't perfect but it was p good for what it was. I wish it had gone as hard as BD1 plot wise but what can you do I'm just glad we're still getting FF5 sequels.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

endgame spoilers I mean, I got a good sensible chuckle out of the fact part of the plan to defeat the final boss involves saving over their file. JUST LIKE MY LITTLE BROTHER DID TO MY NINTENDO DRAGON WARRIOR 3 FILE!!!!!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I really enjoyed Octopath when it came out. Sure the game has obvious weak points, but it has its novelties too.

The combat system, while not as flexible as BDs is still compelling on its own. I liked the "first character" choice since you're forced into a party of one at least for a brief while and have to make do. The interactions with NPCs were also pretty good and gave a reason to talk to everyone beyond just flavor. I even liked the challenges/provokes as puzzles since they force you do look at the combat a different way then you do with a full party.

But, sure, you have to ignore the fact that Therion would never actually want to join a party in the first place.

Anyways the game definitely has its fans and the Octopath thread was definitely hopping when the game came out. Sure, I understand why many people dislike it, but it shouldn't be a surprise that it sold well.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

In case anyone is as dumb as me, you HAVE to have a save file after the final ending for New Game+ purposes. Just having a cleared save (with a star medal thing on it) isn't enough.

Pollyanna posted:

What stat determines # of hits per attack? I wanted to make a Swordmaster that does damage via regular attacks + Solid Stance, but I can’t seem to get that number any higher than 15.
I've done some light testing and... I don't think any (manipulatable. level doesn't count) stat does affect number of hits? Or if it does then it's by numbers that aren't easily manipulatable by accessories. I've tried Speed, Aim, physical attack... none of them made Adelle's hit count budge above 16. :psyduck: (It's definitely not Aim because I did an extreme boost with Natural Talent + Bare-Knuckle Brawling and that didn't help either. :v:)

I'd wager it's just a factor of level. Not even your main job seems to affect it, since I had Adelle as a black mage and she still did 16 hits! Unless there's a weird soft-cap where you'd need to have Quick/ga to get more than 16 but if that was the case... why have Frenetic Fighting in the first place???

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:nice: gonna use that to grind jobs. Is it worth mastering every job for the boost to Freelancer?Also lv 12 counts as Mastered for that purpose, even if you unlock more job levels, right?

Freelancer only cares about Mastered!, yeah. Level 15 is Legendary! so it isn't factored in.

Mastered All Jobs Late Bloomer should give +2400 HP, +240 MP, +360 to both Attack/Defense stats, +96 Restorative Power, +72 Aim, +48 Speed/Evasion, +24 Critical. Whether that's worth it is not an answer I'm entirely sure on, though I'm leaning towards no unless you want a super-stacked Natural Talent user or something.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kyrosiris posted:

It's been years since I played BD1 and BS and I explicitly ignored everything about the game as soon as I heard that it was announced and came in knowing absolutely nothing and assuming absolutely nothing except that I was going to be playing a Bravely Default game and I was still let down.

You don't have to have high expectations to be disappointed.

Ramc posted:

endgame spoilers I mean, I got a good sensible chuckle out of the fact part of the plan to defeat the final boss involves saving over their file. JUST LIKE MY LITTLE BROTHER DID TO MY NINTENDO DRAGON WARRIOR 3 FILE!!!!!

This was, like, the only cool part of the entire game.

LiefKatano posted:

I've done some light testing and... I don't think any (manipulatable. level doesn't count) stat does affect number of hits? Or if it does then it's by numbers that aren't easily manipulatable by accessories. I've tried Speed, Aim, physical attack... none of them made Adelle's hit count budge above 16. :psyduck: (It's definitely not Aim because I did an extreme boost with Natural Talent + Bare-Knuckle Brawling and that didn't help either. :v:)

I'd wager it's just a factor of level. Not even your main job seems to affect it, since I had Adelle as a black mage and she still did 16 hits! Unless there's a weird soft-cap where you'd need to have Quick/ga to get more than 16 but if that was the case... why have Frenetic Fighting in the first place???

This is exactly what I've found and I have no loving idea what the point of Hit #, Quick, and Frenetic Fighting is. No wonder Godspeed Strike is so overpowered - it's the only effective sheer-damage option.

God, this game really needed more time in the oven.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 27, 2021

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm also liking it (Granted, I'm still maybe halfway through the game at best).

Story could be better though it's serviceable.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

This is exactly what I've found and I have no loving idea what the point of Hit #, Quick, and Frenetic Fighting is. No wonder Godspeed Strike is so overpowered - it's the only effective sheer-damage option.

God, this game really needed more time in the oven.

Hey, Quick's still useful as a ~50% damage bonus (before you get to 11 hits, at least). If you're just using normal attacks, mind :v: (If it's like Second then it shouldn't affect abilities, because while those scale with the maximum possible hit count they just factor "natural" stats not stuff from Quick)

(In general I agree. Balance has always been pretty shaky in these games, sure, but somehow it feels a million times worse in this one. If nothing else, there's oddities like the Hellblade's final skill invalidating one of the main use-cases for using its previous skills (getting around the damage cap)...)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

No wonder Godspeed Strike is so overpowered - it's the only effective sheer-damage option.

I mean people keep saying this but I killed everything in the game including the optional post-game superboss without ever casting it sooooo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean people keep saying this but I killed everything in the game including the optional post-game superboss without ever casting it sooooo

If I have the option to do six 1500 damage hits in a turn, or two 21000 damage hits in a turn, I'm always going to choose the second option. Especially when bosses have like 220,000 HP.

LiefKatano posted:

Hey, Quick's still useful as a ~50% damage bonus (before you get to 11 hits, at least). If you're just using normal attacks, mind :v: (If it's like Second then it shouldn't affect abilities, because while those scale with the maximum possible hit count they just factor "natural" stats not stuff from Quick)

(In general I agree. Balance has always been pretty shaky in these games, sure, but somehow it feels a million times worse in this one. If nothing else, there's oddities like the Hellblade's final skill invalidating one of the main use-cases for using its previous skills (getting around the damage cap)...)

I mean, sure. I could figure out a way to make Quick+Attack Hits work, just like I could figure out a way to make Magic damage work.

Or I could just stack speed and Godspeed Strike everything and be done with it.

Balance amirite???

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Polderjoch posted:

Do it, there's a lot of problems I have with the story and the game's structure in general and definitely would want to hear some other thoughts on them.

Nothing interesting happens in Bravely Default 2's story because there is nothing to discover.

There are core elements to a BD1-style story that keeps a reader/player's interest: mystery, discovery, and intrigue. All of these elements are present in Bravely Default 1 (and to a lesser extent in Bravely Second). Almost none of these elements are present in Bravely Default 2.

BD2 is like a mystery novel where the killer tells their victim "I'm going to kill you because I want your inheritance", and then they kill them in broad daylight in front of six other people, and then they get arrested and thrown in prison, and the story's over in a couple paragraphs. This is not a good mystery novel. This is not even a mystery novel. This is just boring.

If you want a reader to get invested in your story, you need to assert core assumptions that you base most of your story off of, and then raise questions about those assumptions that your reader wants to discover the answer to. BD1 does exactly this. BD2 challenges none of its core assumptions and raises almost no questions, and the questions it does raise are either already answered or completely ignored.

You discover nothing and uncover no mysteries in Bravely Default 2. Everything is almost exactly as it seems, and the player almost never gets the satisfaction of saying "what the gently caress?" or "holy poo poo!".

Endgame spoilers 'n poo poo: Here are some examples. BD1 has you discover that Ringabel and Alternis are the same person displaced in spacetime, that awakening the Crystals actually destroys other worlds instead of saving any of them, that every time you awaken the Crystals you gotta play the whole drat game all over again, that the world is significantly different in some manner every time you Loop, that more and more of the truth comes to light every time you Loop, that there are numbers on Airy's wings counting down to 0, that :siren:Airy Lies:siren:, that the "gently caress it destroy the Crystals" thing the game is nudging you to do still isn't enough to solve the core problem and leads you to a false ending of all loving things, that the player themselves are a pivotal and apparently active character in the story, and a whole host of other poo poo that I've forgotten over the years. BD1 sets up concrete core assumptions, and then knocks them all down Garland-style.

BD2 has you discover...what, exactly? That Gloria needs to sacrifice herself to seal the Night's Nexus? That matters for maybe 30 seconds before the game just goes "nah gently caress it let's do something else". That Seth isn't from their world? We fuckin' knew that already! That the boat minigame did...something to help the party get through the final dungeon? What does that even mean??? The only two interesting things we discover are that Adelle and Boat Lady are fairies, and that the Night's Nexus is using our save game menu to revive itself over and over.

(Bravely Second has you discover some stuff too, but I don't remember that game very well, so I'm not gonna try to list it out. IIRC at the very least you discover further connections to the real world, and that the Bravely Second battle mechanic is actually part of the plot.)

Some people might say that the story is bad because "they tried and failed". Way I see it, they didn't try at all.

I'll keep it short for now and let more come out as we discuss it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 27, 2021

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

raditts posted:

do you mean, can you get the final job before you do the fake ending? Not sure, since I only did it the one time and I didn't know about it beforehand. If I had to guess I'd say probably not, since it would make no sense plotwise.

Nah, i just got mixed up by some of those shite spoiler/not spoiler guides saying it's an optional one you get it in chapter 6 but it's actually chapter 7 and mandatory to finish the game like others have said.

Now i have it though and have the portals unlocked i'm wondering if anyone can give me a breakdown on building the ultimate party (assuming i have all the abilities)

I was thinking things like:
A tank to absorb all damage from all enemies whilst staying invincible themselves (i think the shieldmaster can maybe do this?)
A salve-maker to paralyse every enemy so that none can dodge my attacks
A damage dealer who'll dish out 99,999 damage to all enemies on every attack (not sure if this would be possible unless you max crit and damage?)
A healer of some kind maybe? Or an offensive magic role or something. I'm not sure if either would be needed with the other 3 roles in the party.

Is that setup possible and if so what would the jobs/abilities/weapons/armor/accessory requirements be?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
BD2 is a game that I grow less satisfied with the more I think about it really. In the moment it was fine I suppose, but there were points where I was just actively bored with the game for a fair bit of it.

That it comes as a sequel to Bravely Default and Second, but lacks the narrative vision, dungeon and class design as well as encounter design of those games makes it feel a lot worse.

Default and Second are two of my favourite games ever and I was chomping at the bit for more Bravely action. I would have forgiven a lot but equally now that I've played it and didn't enjoy it, my view is harsher as a result.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think the encounter design is one of the few things that is unambiguously superior in BD2. When you need to have a game setting to decrease or remove enemy encounter rate, that seems to me like a clear admission that it's a system that needs replacing. I can't think of a single situation where I would ever find myself saying "I wish this game would smash cut me into a battle sequence against my will more frequently"

Pollyanna posted:

If I have the option to do six 1500 damage hits in a turn, or two 21000 damage hits in a turn, I'm always going to choose the second option. Especially when bosses have like 220,000 HP.

I'd argue that Ninefold Flurry is more powerful, I used it with a swordmaster dual wield / beast sub combo on a lark was shocked at how it melted the final boss. But you don't have access to that until nearly the end of the game so GSS is your go to for the vast majority of your play time.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

raditts posted:

I think the encounter design is one of the few things that is unambiguously superior in BD2. When you need to have a game setting to decrease or remove enemy encounter rate, that seems to me like a clear admission that it's a system that needs replacing. I can't think of a single situation where I would ever find myself saying "I wish this game would smash cut me into a battle sequence against my will more frequently"

What? BD2 gives you less control over the situation. BD1 completely handed over the reins to you because it trusted you enough to let you take the wheel on exactly when and how often battles happened, and gave you clear and quick control over grinding mode and just-wanna-get-through-this-dungeon mode. BD2 plops a bunch of enemies down and says "have fun with that".

If your entire problem is wanting control over what happens and when, your preference for BD2 completely contradicts that.

quote:

I'd argue that Ninefold Flurry is more powerful, I used it with a swordmaster dual wield / beast sub combo on a lark was shocked at how it melted the final boss. But you don't have access to that until nearly the end of the game so GSS is your go to for the vast majority of your play time.

By the time I got Ninefold Flurry I already had two chars with GS ready to go. Why change what works?