Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Homes should not be commodities but also few people have $400,000+ laying around to straight up buy a home.

lol at this time traveler from the past who knows where you can buy $400k homes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Pain of Mind posted:

What should the state do with incidental landlords (e.g. an only child inheriting their parents house, who presumably has a non-landlord job)? Force a sale? Not trying to argue not all landlords, but it seems like a somewhat different situation than someone buying up properties with the intention to earn their income by being a landlord. An obvious partial improvement would be to repeal Prop 13 so more taxes are paid to go toward other services, but I am not sure how to prevent all landlordism without the state forcing sales and then also prohibiting owning more than one property.

Note, my family has been in the bay area for generations with a chain of a single children on one side so I am literally asking this question for future advice. What should I do? At no point has anyone in my family been rich or above middle class and these are all smaller houses in cheaper working class areas, but just due to a single property per generation getting funneled down at some point I will have multiple properties in the bay area. Charge below market rate since the tax basis is so low? In before guillotine.

it simply should not be legal to own housing that you don't live in

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Where do you think those landlords live?

In homes paid for with rentseeking.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

How many landlords are single family home owners that are also renting out......other single family homes?

Which they pay down with rentseeking.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The idea that landlords all own mega slumlord projects or luxury condos and that alone is the entire reason housing is expensive is false.

Doesn't matter what a landlord owns. They pay for it with other people's money they didn't work for.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Exclusionary single-family neighborhoods are every bit as much of the problem, if not more so, simply because those single family homes take up far more of the valuable land.

Didn't say they weren't a problem. I said that the owners of those homes were workers, unlike landlords.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Turns out the people behind the recall Newsom campaign are racist as gently caress.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

maybe if newsom just reopens more and faster he'll be able to reach across the aisle to them

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

lol at this time traveler from the past who knows where you can buy $400k homes

Fresno?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

iirc a condemned building on a thousand square foot lot went for 400k in SF a few years ago

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Riverside? San Bernardino?
At least in SoCal you don't have to go that far inland.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

OMGVBFLOL posted:

iirc a condemned building on a thousand square foot lot went for 400k in SF a few years ago
Was it a superfund site?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Pain of Mind posted:

What should the state do with incidental landlords (e.g. an only child inheriting their parents house, who presumably has a non-landlord job)? Force a sale? Not trying to argue not all landlords, but it seems like a somewhat different situation than someone buying up properties with the intention to earn their income by being a landlord.
Generational wealth is a bad substitute for a functional social safety net.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

maybe if newsom just reopens more and faster he'll be able to reach across the aisle to them

but what if there's a minority in the aisle???

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rah! posted:

but what if there's a minority in the aisle???

Sounds like an illegal protest blocking official duties. He'll be dealt with harshly. :colbert:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

lol a condemned building (on a bigger lot, to be fair) in a middle/working class area of SF that's sandwiched between some of the city's roughest areas, and close to industrial zones, went for $1.65 million a couple years ago :capitalism:

this one:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 26, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Wow. Imagine owning a shithole in SF you're not allowed to get inspected before you buy it. That is for extremely rich people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

Wow. Imagine owning a shithole in SF you're not allowed to get inspected before you buy it. That is for extremely rich people.

The buyer here has no interest in the existing structure, they are buying it to tear down and build new. It would have sold for more as an already-empty lot.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

CopperHound posted:

Was it a superfund site?

Perhaps they fell out of a timewarp from 15 years ago.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Oh look, the landlord discussion turned into 'work' and the merit of income "earned" through the agony of labor again. Money isn't useful if you didn't sacrifice your limited time on the globe doing some likely tedious action for it.

If we're going to advocate for government-owned housing for each individual is a stretch to say that nobody should be forced to work. So much economic activity could soon be generated through automation that it should be able to be taxed and support a populace that now has all of their time to themselves unless they want to do something to make more.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

money stolen from others is plenty useful, or people wouldn't do it. the tedium has nothing to do with it and the stolen value has everything

and if you think automation is going to be used for anything under the current system besides consolidating power for the already-powerful, you're a fool

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'll have you know you can own some prime real estate on Telegraph Hill for only $250,000. Build your dream techbro treehouse now.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jan posted:

I'll have you know you can own some prime real estate on Telegraph Hill for only $250,000. Build your dream techbro treehouse now.

Fun way to buy a Prime piece of San Francisco Real Estate consult with a local SF Architect to determine what can be built here. Zoning is C-2. There is no street access.

lol

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Craptacular! posted:

Oh look, the landlord discussion turned into 'work' and the merit of income "earned" through the agony of labor again. Money isn't useful if you didn't sacrifice your limited time on the globe doing some likely tedious action for it.

If we're going to advocate for government-owned housing for each individual is a stretch to say that nobody should be forced to work. So much economic activity could soon be generated through automation that it should be able to be taxed and support a populace that now has all of their time to themselves unless they want to do something to make more.

Hahaha gently caress off if you're defending rent seeking parasites with faux-leftist rhetoric

The only way that anyone will be able to live without work in an automated utopia is if landlords are destroyed completely and utterly forever. Otherwise you will continue to have to pay to exist.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 27, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Didn't say they weren't a problem. I said that the owners of those homes were workers, unlike landlords.

Irving Street, San Francisco is right now blocking affordable housing from being built.

The median price of those homes is $800,000+.

But sure, they are all occupied by "workers" :rolleyes:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Are you suggesting the owners of 800,000$ homes only live off Capital and don't work?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

droll posted:

Are you suggesting the owners of 800,000$ homes only live off Capital and don't work?

Are you really going to defend the rights of millionaires living in million-dollar homes to prevent affordable housing from being built?

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Answer the question.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

droll posted:

800,000$

canadian spotted

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

canadian spotted

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Immigrant living in California, yes. Canadian, no. Sorry.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Irving Street, San Francisco is right now blocking affordable housing from being built.

Yes, unless they live off capital (i.e. investments, rent, business profits), they likely work for a living and that is how they pay for their home. Whether you think they are overpaid is irrelevant to the question of whether they are proletarian. I would rather have those people living in homes they own than have those homes owned by landlords and rented out. That was your question and that is my answer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Are you really going to defend the rights of millionaires living in million-dollar homes to prevent affordable housing from being built?

No one is doing or has done that, you are delusional. Take a walk, and enjoy the beautiful state of California free from people on the Internet making you mad by not agreeing with you. .

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 27, 2021

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

6 years ago, but yeah a 1906 earthquake shack, and it only sold for that price because the purchasers had to agree to keep it's above-ground street-view structure as-is for some period of time:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...asking%20price.

No idea if they built a basement or hadd additional space on the lot to expand.

fermun fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 27, 2021

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fermun posted:

6 years ago, but yeah a 1906 earthquake shack, and it only sold for that price because the purchasers had to agree to keep it's above-ground structure as-is for some period of time:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...asking%20price.

No idea if they built a basement.

hey it looks great now

also lol at the real estate agent angling the original photo to hide 280 in the backyard

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

canadian spotted

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

That sucks...are you referring to the UCSF redevelopment? i thought most of the opposition to that was from people in the fancy pants Parnassus heights area which is right next to the hospital.

As for the area around Irving street, most of those homes were bought before their value skyrocketed, and many of them have multiple households via in-law units, and many of the buildings around Irving street are apartment buildings, not single family homes. It's not like every household there is hella rich lol. Just looking at home prices in a city like SF doesn't always give an accurate image of a neighborhood.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rah! posted:

That sucks...are you referring to the UCSF redevelopment? i thought most of the opposition to that was from people in the fancy pants Parnassus heights area which is right next to the hospital.

As for the area around Irving street, most of those homes were bought before their value skyrocketed, and many of them have multiple households via in-law units, and many of the buildings around Irving street are apartment buildings, not single family homes. It's not like every household there is hella rich lol. Just looking at home prices in a city like SF doesn't always give an accurate image of a neighborhood.

Yeah my neighborhood is full of 800k homes that people bought a long long time ago. Lot of run down houses with MIL units. That's in LA.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes, unless they live off capital (i.e. investments, rent, business profits), they likely work for a living and that is how they pay for their home. Whether you think they are overpaid is irrelevant to the question of whether they are proletarian. I would rather have those people living in homes they own than have those homes owned by landlords and rented out. That was your question and that is my answer

No one is doing or has done that, you are delusional. Take a walk, and enjoy the beautiful state of California free from people on the Internet making you mad by not agreeing with you. .

My point is this. Who cares if they are workers or or what the home values used to be?

They are now, today, multimillionaires living on prime real estate blocking affordable housing from being built and not allowing other, less fortunate people (especially poor and minorities) , from living in their neighborhood

It’s the literal definition of “gently caress you got mine”.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Solaris 2.0 posted:

My point is this. Who cares if they are workers or or what the home values used to be?

They are now, today, multimillionaires living on prime real estate blocking affordable housing from being built and not allowing other, less fortunate people (especially poor and minorities) , from living in their neighborhood

It’s the literal definition of “gently caress you got mine”.

If you are more concerned about FYGM than bourgeois parasitism when it comes to building a better world then I humbly suggest that you do not fully comprehend how power flows in America and who wields it and why.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

hi, i used to live on irving street, and it's almost entirely multi-unit buildings owned by small-time landlords who either bought the houses as retirement-investment properties or inherited them. if anyone is fighting development from an address on irving it is highly likely they don't actually live there. the actual residents are overwhelmingly rent-paying workers

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
you're both right

fygm resident owners who want to defend their unearned, unrealized gains by pulling up the ladder are poo poo
landlords are poo poo and many homeowners do sell labor for a wage that is less than the value of their work

stop fighting

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Rah! posted:

No, there is a tower proposed on 26th and irving that the usual whiners are complaining about. There are some terrible graphics saying "out of touch with the neighborhood" with big rings around them I've seen on Facebook. The rings include an 8 story tower across the street from the proposed site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Spazzle posted:

No, there is a tower proposed on 26th and irving that the usual whiners are complaining about. There are some terrible graphics saying "out of touch with the neighborhood" with big rings around them I've seen on Facebook. The rings include an 8 story tower across the street from the proposed site.

that stretch of irving west of 19th is a dense area with a lot of shops and restaurants, and a lot of families and old folks, and there's a major streetcar line one block to the south. if there's going to be a big tower of affordable housing plopped anywhere in the sunset that's the place to do it. i hope it succeeds

e: hopefully everything west of 19th being built on sand doesn't cause problems lol