Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

okay okay I got it re: Tony already

Anyway re: that huge selene thread I posted earlier:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1375863364891648003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

Doubling down and :qq: ing over cancel culture and instead, 90% of people will think you're a huge rear end in a top hat ( and they will be correct) and 10% of people will start donating to your Patreon in order to stick it to PC culture or whatever.

Ironic, considering her statements about American Dirt in the last episode of It's Lit.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Do it, coward Junpei.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

One day I will be Big Biceps Junpei

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

Let me put it like this, when you gently caress up, just say sorry and say, like, 90% of people will forgive you and the 10% who keep attacking you, you can ignore them.

VS

Doubling down and :qq: ing over cancel culture and instead, 90% of people will think you're a huge rear end in a top hat ( and they will be correct) and 10% of people will start donating to your Patreon in order to stick it to PC culture or whatever.

Fair enough. I see no lies here, only truth.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Clip-On Fedora posted:

You apologize to friends, family, and coworkers. People you actually know. Not people online.

Sounds like she doesn't do that, either.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Vagabundo posted:

Do it, coward Junpei.

Close the forbidden door Coward Junpei!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Close the forbidden door Coward Junpei!

Ibushi should post in here tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You actually do apologize to people online I don’t know what insane bullshit that is other than a rather lame way to defend your personal favorite from criticism

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Ibushi should post in here tho

Sacrifices must be made!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Jamie Faith posted:

Thanks and yeah, I think this whole "Apologies are about control!" thing is a very lovely, cynical and kinda chuddy way to look at things. There have in fact, been cases where someone famous did something shifty, got called out, went "oh poo poo sorry guys, my bad" and people went "its cool :)". You just never hear about those times because that kind of thing isn't what ends up trending on twitter or get screenshots of it posted in this thread.

This probably comes from upbringing, if I can take out my one module in psychology and communication I had to take in university and wave if for a moment: There's a school of thought which assumes all communication is like combat, with the side changing their opinion more "losing" and the side changing less "winning". Some of my stepdads where like this and are the reason my mom is now single again. Essentially, in an environment where every apology is seen as a weakness which a deranged maniac will use as an excuse to jump down your throat, you get people like Lindsay and me. (Though obviously I can only speculate about Lindsay's family, some people are natural assholes, after all. And I don't know her. It's just that I think I can recognize the mental damage caused by growing up in a family filled with bastards.)

Edit:

And yeah, you're OK. I just wish people like you would criticize me, in my nightmares it's people like moviebob and I shiver

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i'll be the thread rear end in a top hat and say aren't "all" psychics fake pretty much?

Pachylad posted:

okay okay I got it re: Tony already

Anyway re: that huge selene thread I posted earlier:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1375863364891648003

selene seems to have her own issues that they need to sort out.

plus didn't lindsay and mara have a major friend break up a couple years ago over abortion or something? as much as i shitpost, i don't follow the personal lives and minitua of the critics/online people I like/dont like. but thats what my friend said.

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1375864939718533126

also this.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 27, 2021

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Sounds like she doesn't do that, either.

Yeah. That's a problem, isn't it?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7v7UWCfntk

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lol 4kids is amazing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i'll be the thread rear end in a top hat and say aren't "all" psychics fake pretty much?

I was about to post something similar, but I think it’s just to match a pattern across his video titles. He says near the end that he doesn’t care whether someone genuinely believes they are psychic because the harm they cause is the same as the harm caused by people who understand that they are deliberately lying.

I have encountered people who sincerely believe they have supernatural powers, and I’ve never yelled at them or tried to show them that their beliefs are false because they were otherwise normal people who weren’t trying to make money or give people false hope as far as I could tell. It just seemed like it would be pointless cruelty, plus they weren’t people I was likely to ever encounter very often.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

wut

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

:lol:
dumb censorship aside, I forgot how bad the voice acting and music in the 4kids dub was. I can't believe I saw this when it aired back in the 2000s and unironically loved it. I mean I'm glad I did, otherwise, I may not be the OP fan like I am today, its just I know alot of people who still think OP sucks because they saw this lovely dub back in the day.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I was about to post something similar, but I think it’s just to match a pattern across his video titles. He says near the end that he doesn’t care whether someone genuinely believes they are psychic because the harm they cause is the same as the harm caused by people who understand that they are deliberately lying.

I have encountered people who sincerely believe they have supernatural powers, and I’ve never yelled at them or tried to show them that their beliefs are false because they were otherwise normal people who weren’t trying to make money or give people false hope as far as I could tell. It just seemed like it would be pointless cruelty, plus they weren’t people I was likely to ever encounter very often.

yeah. neither would i unless they were being massive assholes or hurting people with "them". i assumed they meant "the weird assholes who exploit people grief for money".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Good video though it is kinda weird that he lumps faith healers in there with psychics as coming from the same place, without mentioning that faith healers and medicine scammers in general are way more common in places like the USA and Uganda where real medicine just is not available to most people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe it's because I watched them back to back but Kyle's Starship Troopers part 1 and the Killzone retrospective got me thinking about the way media perception of the military has changed and how the Paul Verhoeven film and Killzone reflect this.

In the context of Starship Troopers release it was after Korea but before Vietnam and public perception of military service in the united states didn't have nearly the amount of detractors it does nowadays. But like the Killzone retrospective points out, by the 90s military intrrventionism by superpowers had much more opposition and by the mid 2000s with Afghanistan and Iraq still ongoing the public opinion the conflicts was bottoming out.

With that in mind it's eerie but understandable how Verhoeven and Neumeier could lift entire passages straight from heinlein's novel and just through the change in public perception from 1959 to 1997 me words that were originally uplifting into something thoroughly unsettling.

To tie it back to Killzone it comes in the juxtaposition of the pretty clearly in the wrong aggressor Helghast in Killzone 1 to the morally questionable ISA counterattack in Killzone 2. The invasion of Vekta is a messy affair and a moral quagmire when you look at the underlying causes but it is still easy to side with the Vektan defenders in the face of aggression. It's like WW2 where you can broadly declare it a good an evil "just" war and pave over the messy grey areas that come from human conflict. Meanwhike Killzone 2 is much more of a 90s and post 9/11 view on foreign intervention creating further problems down the line and ensuring cyclical violence for generations to come.

The Dutch have a very complicated relationship with conflict following their occupation by the Nazis and it is neat seeing how Verhoeven and Guerrilla Games staff, all of them Dutch, implement this into their work.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the chakram is too powerful for an amateur to hold

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Well, there's 2 groups that wouldn't count as a fake psychic

1) Some people may actually, earnestly believe they're psychic. They're probably not trying to make money off of it, because to persistently do that would prove that you're not a psychic pretty quick

2) Who knows, maybe there is someone actually psychic? that's almost certainly not the case but I'd rather not piss off someone with mind powers, would you???

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

:lol:
dumb censorship aside, I forgot how bad the voice acting and music in the 4kids dub was. I can't believe I saw this when it aired back in the 2000s and unironically loved it. I mean I'm glad I did, otherwise, I may not be the OP fan like I am today, its just I know alot of people who still think OP sucks because they saw this lovely dub back in the day.

I'm watching my way through OP now and I'm not feeling it yet. It's laughably horny. The villains are actually pretty cool but I hate Luffy just beating the poo poo out of all these people who worked and trained for their power but Luffy just go it handed to him.

Luffy reminds me of the superman cartoons where he beats the poo poo out of human robbers.

Edit: meanwhile the side characters are all "oh Luffy's so determined, so brave, he never gives up.

Motherfucker. Luffy is literally indestructible as far as the current villain of the week is concerned and I've now watched him play with this poor fucker for four straight episodes.

Katt fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 27, 2021

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Katt posted:

I'm watching my way through OP now and I'm not feeling it yet. It's laughably horny. for four straight episodes.

You think early eps of OP are horny?.....oh boooy You are not going to like the post time skip episodes (but seriously tho, I don't remember early OP being that horny outside some mild jokes with Nami pretending to flirt with dudes so she could steal their treasure? Maybe years of horny anime watching has made me lower my standards :shepface: )

Katt posted:

The villains are actually pretty cool but I hate Luffy just beating the poo poo out of all these people who worked and trained for their power but Luffy just go it handed to him.

Luffy reminds me of the superman cartoons where he beats the poo poo out of human robbers.

Edit: meanwhile the side characters are all "oh Luffy's so determined, so brave, he never gives up.

Motherfucker. Luffy is literally indestructible as far as the current villain of the week is concerned and I've now watched him play with this poor fucker for four straight episodes.

Really? Most bad guys in OP are absolute evil monsters who are either 1 merciless pirates (the rape and pillage kind) or B. Government bastards so :shrug:

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Twitter has unfortunately become my doomscrolling social media platform of choice during the pandemic, which definitely isn't something I'd recommend. Events like this go to show how unsuited the platform is for nuanced or difficult conversations. If someone recieves criticism they need space to evaluate what people are saying, evaluate their own actions and assess the validity of both of these. Twitter doesn't give you that. So other that nuking Twitter, what can people in these situations do? I don't know if I have an exact answer for that, but asking trusted friends to examine the criticism instead so that they can give an object overview of the situation could be helpful. And/or tweeting that you're going to take some time to reflect on what's been said. This won't always result in an apology, but if someone is recieving criticism it's for a reason. They just need space and time to work out whether it's because they did/said something genuinely hurtful, were misinformed, misspoke, are being targeted by chuds or a mixture of all the above.

I just don't think the human brain is set up to healthily process 100s or even 1000s of people criticising you at once. I have not, and will not ever (unless my life goes drastically off the rails) be in that situation but I imagine my first instinct would also be to become defensive. It's no doubt even harder when any sort of online discourse leads to death threats. (I don't want to imply that any of the people originally criticising Lindsay Ellis's original thread would do this, it's just a horrible fact that any attention online gets some people super eager to threaten others - I've seen people get death threats for posting cute dog pictures, for sending someone home in a reality competition, for being trans... it doesn't seem to matter whether someone is lovely or non-lovely.) So you end up with a maelstrom of people offering criticism in good faith, people offering criticism in bad faith, and a subset of people that love to send death threats because the internet was a mistake. It's not surprising that anyone in the recieving end of that will group everyone criticising them under one banner.

This is an inherent problem of being 'famous' online. Unlike say, a movie star, they won't have a PR person to both filter criticism and completely run/help to run social media accounts. They get every tweet reply, dm, quote tweet and hopefully avoid the temptation to namesearch. So the reaction of doubling down and getting defensive feels like a very human one. Do I think that makes it okay? Not really. I've reacted similarly to recieving criticism in my real life and it's just not a good look. But I do think Twitter and social media as a whole makes self-reflection harder.

In my experience sincere apologies are accepted by most, even on Twitter. They usually don't have dramatic outcomes, so tend to be forgotten quickly, but they do happen. Chuck Tingle (of Space Raptor Butt Invasion fame) set up an auction for an NFT for one of his short stories - after reading through information sent to him by people who loved his work but weren't a fan of this decision, he decided to cancel the auction. Thoughtslime made a video about his 'cancellation' and after his apology I don't think I've seen a single person bring up the issue again. (I know the thread seems to have mixed feelings about Thoughtslime but I personally remember this video being pretty good) So I don't agree with the characterisation of apologies as controlling or useless. No one has to apologise, obviously, but they do have value.

Tl;dr: Twitter bad, apologies good. I should have spent the time typing this watching Super Eyepatch Wolf's video on Fake Psychics.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

You think early eps of OP are horny?.....oh boooy You are not going to like the post time skip episodes (but seriously tho, I don't remember early OP being that horny outside some mild jokes with Nami pretending to flirt with dudes so she could steal their treasure? Maybe years of horny anime watching has made me lower my standards :shepface: )

Really? Most bad guys in OP are absolute evil monsters who are either 1 merciless pirates (the rape and pillage kind) or B. Government bastards so :shrug:

They are but they aren't even remotely threatening to Luffy so far but they drag out the fights for several episodes and it gets kind of tedious.

It also repeatedly does that anime thing where common people/non hero characters rise up against the villain and get defeated so the overpowered hero can then come save the day.

I just got to the one where he defates Don Krieg and I almost feel sorry for Krieg because the show makes a big deal of all his murder machines but Luffy just face tanks all of it and then beats him up.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Remember when thought slime accidentally did an ablemism and they just apologized and people overwhelmingly were like "yeah okay" and it all went away without issue.

The loudest people were fans telling them to not apologize and to double down.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Katt posted:

Remember when thought slime accidentally did an ablemism and they just apologized and people overwhelmingly were like "yeah okay" and it all went away without issue.

The loudest people were fans telling them to not apologize and to double down.

Okay.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I want an apology for having to scroll past these posts.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Bar Crow posted:

Oh yeah, sorry about that! I'll try to post better in the future!

See how easy that was? ;)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you're right its very easy to make an insincere apology you have no intention of honoring

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

egg tats posted:

Well, there's 2 groups that wouldn't count as a fake psychic

1) Some people may actually, earnestly believe they're psychic. They're probably not trying to make money off of it, because to persistently do that would prove that you're not a psychic pretty quick

James Randi had a little story about interviewing one new psychic as part of his general skeptics/anti-psychic stuff. He asked her to explain her powers and she proceeded to describe cold reading. She used terms like auras and a deep connection to their soul but she admitted that she just asked them questions, gauged their reactions and used that to gain insight into their life and problems. As best as he could figure she just taught herself how to cold read unconsciously and didn't realize it, since she was completely sincere and wasn't really looking to make money.

On that subject, I know it got posted before, but I really liked Big Joel's videos on Dr. Phil. The second one examining just how surface level and bootstraps he is was neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhkGDFM04o

I'm happy that it feels like we're getting a little more variety in media criticism, since there's a wealth of daytime TV and cable trash that I'd love for somebody to just have fun tearing into.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Alaois posted:

you're right its very easy to make an insincere apology you have no intention of honoring

Ah here's one of those bad faith people who never accept people's apology this thread has been going off about

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’m sorry.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

You deserve one, but I stand by my principles.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I will only apologize in one instance, and that's when I accidentally trip over my cat who I didn't realize was right there and then I have to say omg i'm so sorry :( and kiss her little forhead 50 times

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Ah here's one of those bad faith people who never accept people's apology this thread has been going off about

It was a joke

about your posts!!!!!!!!!!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I've been following AntsCanada for a while really like the ant keeping terrariums he builds let's see what he's up to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwjbtLjmutw
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnWu_y1R5ZI