Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Heres a weird problem i'm having with Mekanism in a 1.16 modpack.
Setting up a tier 3 chain (1 ore=4 ingots) and everything is fine except for the chemical infuser which takes chlorine and hydrogen to make hydrogen chloride.
I can only get the infuser to take 1 chemical at a time, have tried switching all sides around, each will input separately on its own no matter the side, but when I try to input both, one simply will not go in.
I can input the 2nd to a chemical tank and use a gauge dropper to put in 10k mb at a time which starts the machine making HCI but not by pipe.
The pipe connects fine as it will input on its own.
Made sure all sides are set as input.
No idea why I can't get both to connect at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Some vague advice that's not specific to your problem, but I remember two things that tripped me up for a long time on those ore processing chains in 1.16:
1. Some recipes require the inputs to be on specific sides of the machine and its UI (and it's non-negotiable which side you use)
2. Some recipes involving gases and liquids need it to be the flowing / not flowing version. I think there's a condenser for this (??)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

OgNar posted:

Heres a weird problem i'm having with Mekanism in a 1.16 modpack.
Setting up a tier 3 chain (1 ore=4 ingots) and everything is fine except for the chemical infuser which takes chlorine and hydrogen to make hydrogen chloride.
I can only get the infuser to take 1 chemical at a time, have tried switching all sides around, each will input separately on its own no matter the side, but when I try to input both, one simply will not go in.
I can input the 2nd to a chemical tank and use a gauge dropper to put in 10k mb at a time which starts the machine making HCI but not by pipe.
The pipe connects fine as it will input on its own.
Made sure all sides are set as input.
No idea why I can't get both to connect at the same time.

Are you using pressurized tubes? Mechanical pipes only transfers fluids, you need the tubes for gasses. Also it has to be hydrogen on the left, oxygen on the right.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

taiyoko posted:

Are you using pressurized tubes? Mechanical pipes only transfers fluids, you need the tubes for gasses. Also it has to be hydrogen on the left, oxygen on the right.

Yes, correct pipes, especially since I can get the gasses to go in, but only one at a time.
I tried using both sides and even top and bottom.
Clearing out what was in there each time, have had both chlorine and hydrogen both in on each side.
At this point i'm just inputting hydrogen and filling the other side with chlorine by filling a tank first and then putting the tank into the chemical infuser.
It works and i'm able to run my chain fine, but its just a bit of manual work.

I'm just chalking it up to weirdness.
I've never played a modpack that didn't have some weird poo poo happening.
And this is 1.16, so maybe a few bugs crept in.

I've used this setup before and even went so far awhile back to map the machine chain out in google slides so I didn't have to sit down and watch a tutorial every time I played a new modpack for a reminder.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Came across a video of MoM checking out Engineers life 2 for 1.16.5 which may be kinda cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_vXN39XEMc

So far it seems that it has a robust quest book but items arent gated, if you can find the resources you can build it.
But certain things require leveling, like an iron sword would be slow to use until you've level wood and then stone first.
Also armor cannot be used at first.

Seems to revolve around IE of course, also has industrial foregoing, pams, spice of life, storage drawers, refined storage.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/engineers-life-2

e:Hmmm. uses yungs better portals, so you find a portal somewhere underground to the nether, which when in there you have to find a way back.
thats
different

OgNar fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 23, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Does anyone have any guides or at least good documentation for nuclearcraft fusion? This has got to be one of the most least-documented most-obtuse mods I have ever tried to use in my entire life. Just... why is it so complicated and bad.

I'm going through claustrophobia and they've gated glowstone behind fusion power. I had set up a lazy fission reactor previously in omnifactory that was passive and safe for all fuels, and I was hoping to skip that for this but it looks like power generation is a required centerpiece in this pack.

I literally had to go up to a youtube video to understand how to even put the thing together and no amount of googling would tell me the power requirements to get a minimum size reactor to actually start up. I under-guessed 3 times before finally getting it started, only to discover it starts too "cold" to actually output any power so when I ran out of juice it just melted down.

At this point I'm just looking for a guide on how much fuel volume I need to develop/supply and the redstone setup to prevent it from melting down a second time, which of the 30 different fuel combinations I should use, or if anyone's gone through this in this pack to tell me to just go back and build a really large fission reactor to replace my basic 5x5.

Does anyone seriously enjoy exploring nuclearcraft because it feels like just the most grognardy thing ever and that's coming from someone who is already predisposed to liking weird stuff like this.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 23, 2021

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I can answer that properly once I'm at my gaming pc, but I ended up building a 7x7x5 fission reactor that output 50k rf/t in order to get the fusion reactor running constantly. You can get it to fire up before that by building batteries to cope with the peak load of charging the electromagnets and that was enough to get me about half a stack of glowstone worth of neutronium before it melted down, which meant i could build the next size of compact cube.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I managed to get maybe 20 glowstone before it melted down by slowly charging up 10 signalum cells, and after digging into the recipes there doesn't seem to be any other way to create glowstone like there was for blizz, so right now i'm stockpiling duterium and hydrogen and I'll figure I'll make some tritium which I need for those lumium lamp things for the diamond compactor and some more nutronium. Sadly you need what 25k/sec generation to keep the diamond compactor active so I'm going to have to make a bigger *something*, probably a larger fission like you did that can properly process all the subfuels I now have from my stack of depleted u-235 fuels.

I had kind of hoped to find a easy/foolproof way to keep that reactor active but it really doesn't seem like that's happening with just cells and stored energy.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yeah, you need a big fission reactor to get a stable fusion reactor, at least to start with. Once it's running it's net positive in power and you can easily supply enough lithium for it to run forever.

So, Wolfsbane's brief guide to fusion reactors, because this poo poo isn't written down anywhere for some reason. I realise you're beyond most of this but it may help the next person.

This is my fusion reactor. It's a tier 1 running on Lithium 6 / Lithium 7. It's stable, 100% efficient, and produces 50kRF/t. You will probably not be building this to start with.

The first reactor you build has 3 theoretical problems:

1) Space. The reactor fits exactly in the space you have, which means at the very least you need separate top and bottom power inputs. Use elevators.

2) Power. I used two fission reactors producing a total of 13200 RF/t, plus a lot of batteries and some bizarre boosters (burning pyrotheum and cryotheum, creosote oil, etc). The game claims that you need 200 RF/t per magnet, so just under 20kRF/t, but there's more to it than that (see below).

3) Fuel. You want a fuel that produces neutronium but is efficient at relatively low temperatures. Best would be Deuterium/Tritium but you can't get Tritium without a fusion reactor, so Deuterium/Deuterium. If you start early you could stockpile a few tanks full of Deuterium, but running out of fuel is unlikely to be your big issue.

So, practical issues. First, build your torus. You need 96 electromagnets to build a hollow tube around the core, but the quest gives you 32. In order to power on the core you need to charge up all these electromagnets and provide fuel.

Getting power to actually flow to the electromagnets fast enough is a huge pain in the rear end. The best you have at this point (I think) is signalum fluxducts, so use lots of them. You don't need to connect to every electromagnet but it helps a lot if you can, the power flow between electromagnets is slow and lossy. Getting the batteries to charge/discharge right is also a pain, I wish there was some sort of power switch.
Fuel is a lot easier, you can pipe it in anywhere. It burns up fast but you'll probably run out of power first.

Once you have fuel and power the reactor will ignite. It now starts heating up to its operating temperature, which will require even more power pumped into the core. Efficiency is a measure of how close the reactor is to ideal temperature. If you hit maximum or drop below minimum temperature your reactor will melt down. Try not to stand in the plasma.
Melting down is not a big deal (and to be expected given the restrictions), because the core is never damaged and it will store your neutronium. Getting waste out of the reactor is a pain because there's no easy way to sort it. I ended up sticking tanks on top and venting all the crap until I got a tank of neutronium. It's a lot easier if your RS system can store fluids.

Once you have some neutronium you can make infinite ender pearls, and that lets you use the cryo-stabilised fluxducts which makes everything a lot easier. I then used lithium fuel because I don't care much about the power and it's easy to get infinite of it, you could use Tritium if you want.

There's a lot of stuff about how to stabilise the reactor and keep it at 100% efficiency, but the TLDR is that you pump water into active cooling cells next to the coils until the temperature readout says 100% cooling, then it's perfectly stable forever.

Oh, and final tip - this tool will auto-generate reactor designs for you, if you don't enjoy playing with the manual reactor tool linked in the quest book.

Bonus showoff pictures of my final base:

Home sweet home

The computer room (the four large compact machines have more auto processing stuff)

The 50K reactor (runs on HEU-235 Oxide)

spaghetti.png

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do you make those sexy multiblock diagrams?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do you make those sexy multiblock diagrams?

That looks like the inside of a Compact Machine. If you open its GUI it'll show whatever's inside like that.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Easily the best part of Compact Machines and the only way to stay sane when getting lost in the nightmare maze of connections.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Wolfsbane posted:

Yeah, you need a big fission reactor to get a stable fusion reactor, at least to start with. Once it's running it's net positive in power and you can easily supply enough lithium for it to run forever.

So, Wolfsbane's brief guide to fusion reactors, because this poo poo isn't written down anywhere for some reason. I realise you're beyond most of this but it may help the next person.

This is good stuff! Now I just need to throw together a 50k/sec 7x7x7 reactor and get it all going. So I remember where I got my reactor designs for omnifactory so I head over and wouldn't you know, has anyone else noticed THIS particular annoyance yet?

They removed all the reactor designs from the wiki and replaced it with a paragraph telling people to go to a discord server. No thanks, I'm not interested in joining your community using a different medium. Youtube-as-a-replacement-for-documentation is already bad enough, thanks.

Comedy google hit: a 2 year old thread agreeing that documentation is poor and that updating it is on their "todo list".

Overall, claustrophobia is a real fun modpack; probably my favorite since blightfall but I really wish there was one or two more iterations of tweaking for additional explanation and culling some of these quests that are either way, way too early in the quest tree or not useful at all. I might do a "things I wish I knew" tips if there's interest because I definitely fell into a bunch of pits.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 26, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

This is good stuff! Now I just need to throw together a 50k/sec 7x7x7 reactor and get it all going. So I remember where I got my reactor designs for omnifactory so I head over and wouldn't you know, has anyone else noticed THIS particular annoyance yet?

They removed all the reactor designs from the wiki and replaced it with a paragraph telling people to go to a discord server. No thanks, I'm not interested in joining your community using a different medium. Youtube-as-a-replacement-for-documentation is already bad enough, thanks.

Hit up archive.org for that link. It might still have the designs.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hit up archive.org for that link. It might still have the designs.

You don't even have to do that. Just click history at the top of the wiki page and you can see every former page layout.
This revision has the old designs

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Bhodi posted:

You mean you're not also in 15 different discords? It's really not that bad... much better than youtube videos. This is the kind of content in the relevant channel on that discord.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rynoto posted:

You don't even have to do that. Just click history at the top of the wiki page and you can see every former page layout.
This revision has the old designs
Sadly, all the links are broken, so all you get is what once was.

Ambaire posted:

You mean you're not also in 15 different discords? It's really not that bad... much better than youtube videos. This is the kind of content in the relevant channel on that discord.
Perfectly usable, curated information of an already super obtuse mod was scrubbed off a wiki in favor of a transient stream-of-conciousness chat channel on another app? So I get to play internet detective, hopping not just from site to site but now into different apps, where you have to go to a channel and just start backscrolling through random designs until I stumble on one that seems OK? There's no curation, no "hall of fame", no master list of "good" designs, just random ones people happened to post, and you don't see a problem with this in terms of user experience? Saying "Well, it's better than youtube" isn't really much of a bar to get over.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

That's not really the point. Perfectly usable, curated information of an already super obtuse mod was scrubbed off a wiki in favor of a transient stream-of-conciousness chat channel on another app? So I get to play internet detective, hopping not just from site to site but now into different apps, where I get to go to a channel and just start backscrolling through random designs until I stumble on a random one that seems OK? And you don't see a problem with this in terms of user experience? Saying "Well, it's better than youtube" isn't really much of a bar to get over.

For what its worth, the problem was always that devs don't like to document stuff because it's hard work and boring. The answer to that has just changed from forum posts (alright, but prone to going out of date and having dead links/etc) to youtube, to discord. And of those I'll take discord over youtube anyday, even if I prefer a well-documented wiki over that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I've got my beef with the devs but this particular one isn't really on them. The devs don't offer any designs, official or otherwise, excepting what's in their tutorial youtube vids. They (and some modpack authors) just define what each block does.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I just entered the details (size, fuel, what coolers you have access to) into that auto-generator I linked and let it run for an hour. I think I might have the design saved somewhere, I'll have a look.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's OK, I'm just going to brute force it with one lattice of fuel cell/moderators bounded by active redstone + passive quartz coolers on either side, it gets me 45k/sec in a 5x5x5 and since redstone is basically free in the pack it's perfectly sustainable. Thanks for the tip about using HEU-235 Ox, that really bumps up the RF/t.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 27, 2021

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Black Pants posted:

Enigmatica 2 Expert vaguely does that. I recommend the Skyblock version.

Was going to stop by and ask for an Expert modpack... has there not been a newer good one than E2E? I really loved E2E and Infinity Evolved before that, guess I figured enough time had passed that there would be a newer expert pack out by now.

(don’t say GTNH no thank you)

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

:unsmigghh:

join us in our shared suffering

not today, satan

escalator dropdown fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 27, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

escalator dropdown posted:

Was going to stop by and ask for an Expert modpack... has there not been a newer good one than E2E? I really loved E2E and Infinity Evolved before that, guess I figured enough time had passed that there would be a newer expert pack out by now.

(don’t say GTNH no thank you)

:unsmigghh:

join us in our shared suffering

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

escalator dropdown posted:

IDK how new they are, relatively, but I'm a big fan of Modern Skyblock 3 and Omnifactory. I know the expert modes for Project Ozone 3 (Titan and Kappa depending on your desire to suffer) came out and were well received but I just didn't gel with that modpack for a number of reasons. That neat Seablock pack came out too (Rustic Waters?) but I don't know if that counts as expert.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bhodi posted:

Perfectly usable, curated information of an already super obtuse mod was scrubbed off a wiki in favor of a transient stream-of-conciousness chat channel on another app? So I get to play internet detective, hopping not just from site to site but now into different apps, where you have to go to a channel and just start backscrolling through random designs until I stumble on one that seems OK? There's no curation, no "hall of fame", no master list of "good" designs, just random ones people happened to post, and you don't see a problem with this in terms of user experience? Saying "Well, it's better than youtube" isn't really much of a bar to get over.

You know, you should really learn some basic research skills, it's really not very hard. All you have to do is search github for the name of the repo and you will discover that it was forked and no I'm not going to do that for you, get off your lazy butt.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ewe2 posted:

You know, you should really learn some basic research skills, it's really not very hard. All you have to do is search github for the name of the repo and you will discover that it was forked and no I'm not going to do that for you, get off your lazy butt.

You could learn not to be an rear end in a top hat and choose to provide a link too.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

ewe2 posted:

20 people each spending 10 minutes to search for something spend over 3 hours of collective time. exaggerated for effect

Or, the first person doing the initial research can post that link and save innumerable time for everyone else.

Given that you say you 'searched for the repo and found it', surely you could have copied and pasted it into your post.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ambaire posted:

20 people each spending 10 minutes to search for something spend over 3 hours of collective time. exaggerated for effect

Or, the first person doing the initial research can post that link and save innumerable time for everyone else.

Given that you say you 'searched for the repo and found it', surely you could have copied and pasted it into your post.

You have all the information you need, you just don't want to do it yourself. If a partially blind person who's had 2 strokes can manage this, surely someone who wants to build a nuclear reactor but doesn't want to research how to can find a github repository by its name for gently caress's sake.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

ewe2 posted:

You have all the information you need, you just don't want to do it yourself. If a partially blind person who's had 2 strokes can manage this, surely someone who wants to build a nuclear reactor but doesn't want to research how to can find a github repository by its name for gently caress's sake.

Or you could choose not to be an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: I can't find it or I'd provide a link and I don't even play MC much anymore. lol

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Here's a tool that's quite useful for this sort of thing. It searches for optimal reactor designs for a given size using simulated annealing, and better yet supports a bunch of different modpacks, since many of them tweak the default cooling values of the different kinds of cells, and a design that may have worked fine in vanilla NC might break completely in E2E which changed them all to balance around material scarcity there. You can also constrain it to do things like find the optimal setup that uses exactly 8 fuel cells and 0 cryotheum cells, if you can't make that yet, or maximize fuel cells for making a breeder.

I don't begrudge anyone looking for this or reactor designs in general because it took me a lot of trawling through NC's discord and finding it, not through a pin, but through a reference to some other username in some offhand reply to a pin. NC itself changes its own coolant values between patches too, older designs might just straight up not function anymore.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ewe2 posted:

you could have simply not posted

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna play GTNH. I can feel myself falling off from it more and more each time I play. I just hit Steam, and now I'm facing the prospect of needing as much bronze and iron as I do to proceed, and then dealing with steam boilers and potential explosions, and I just feel so spread thin playing by myself. The added crafting steps to make everything is starting to wear on me too. The opening was interesting to see how the super stone age progression worked, but now I'm past that initial novelty. Do we have any kind of PGS server for GTNH here?

I might go back to Heavens of Sorcery as a solo venture, since that had a real interesting opening progression and was a lot lighter on, well, everything.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

FPzero posted:

I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna play GTNH. I can feel myself falling off from it more and more each time I play. I just hit Steam, and now I'm facing the prospect of needing as much bronze and iron as I do to proceed, and then dealing with steam boilers and potential explosions, and I just feel so spread thin playing by myself. The added crafting steps to make everything is starting to wear on me too. The opening was interesting to see how the super stone age progression worked, but now I'm past that initial novelty. Do we have any kind of PGS server for GTNH here?

I might go back to Heavens of Sorcery as a solo venture, since that had a real interesting opening progression and was a lot lighter on, well, everything.

One way you can reduce the microcrafting annoyance is to just build a whole bunch of parts at once. A common saying is "if you need one, build a stack" but that's... not really viable for most things, and you really should avoid overproducing in steam age where your efficiency is low. In steam age you can make like 8 or 16 of a thing and not waste too much resources, while vastly reducing the microcrafting tedium.
You should also get a tcon hammer asap so you can mine quickly (preferably with a digger and miner backpack). The amount of ore you need is actually not nearly as bad as it looks because ore veins are so massive. Also get a railcraft water tank so you don't ever have to worry about water. If your boiler is always full of water it can't explode!

Heavens of Sorcery is generally better though, if GTNH isn't interesting enough to you that you can overlook its various annoyances.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

FPzero posted:

Check this thread.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah that's where I'm messing around. I'm just very slowly trying to get an ME network up. I just fart around a little with it each night as I can. We were more prolific earlier in the year but then life happened. I think it'll still play better with a few more people in the team even if we don't run into each other too much.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I just installed GT:NH. What should I do before I start?

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Begin making sacrifices to the gods of RNG and plenty.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Mix a stiff drink.

I'm actually still playing this. The quest book is spectacular and the pack is still being updated despite being 5 years old. Hell, I even put in some pull requests to fix typos.

In the very early game, don't stress too much about where you hole up. Exploration sucks until you can make a bed. Make sure to use the bonemeal from quest rewards to grow carrots for the carrot quest. The carrot quest filtered Warrior Princess. :haw:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Aside from feeding it lots of RAM and clearing your schedule for a while:

1) Turn off anything you hate: Infernal mobs are in so disable the shittiest mods (all the reflecting ones), or turn them off altogether. Disable machines exploding if you don't want one gently caress up to cost you your base. Pollution is mildly interesting at best and loving awful at worst and can cause a lot of lag. I turn keep inventory on because infernal mobs and turn off mob griefing because a stray creeper can cost you 12 hours of gameplay in an instant.
2) Settle near water - infinite water is disabled, and you'll want to start a farm before you can make a bucket. I also prefer to build my factory floor over a river or ocean because it requires the least terraforming.
3) Cheat in some QoL (for single player obviously). Give yourself a Prospector's Scanner because the default way of finding ore veins is to identify if you are in an "ore chunk" (the center of a 3x3 set of chunks is able to spawn the center of an ore vein), and then tunnel down hoping you reveal it along the walls of your mineshaft (sometimes you cut right through the center and don't see any ore! Sometimes there's no vein because it tried to spawn tin at y=135 and there was just air there!). gently caress that. Waypoint everything and don't feel bad about teleporting, sometimes you need to go 3km or more to find what you need. bq_admin_edit so you can complete quests where you accidentally turned one of the 288 items into their next step before you collected all 288 therefore invalidating the quest steps. GT:NH is the fuckin' best but there are a lot of ways that it doesn't respect your time, so I cheat those away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I agree with most of the above. Definitely turn off mobgriefing and pollution. Pollution is in the midst of a rework and will be officially disabled next patch anyway while they figure out how to implement it. If you install aromabackup you don't really need to turn off machine explosions but I don't blame you if you do.
Early on you should at least settle in an 80% humidity biome, because the earliest source of infinite water gives water at a rate directly tied to the humidity. Also IC2 crops prefer a high humidity biome but don't worry too much about that.

Later on, you should consider finding a spot that has easy access to multiple biome types if you're at all interested in bees. Mostly the temperature and humidity gradients; don't worry about normal/normal because you can force that with a silverwood sapling. Silverwood saplings can be bought easily in a coin quest.

You can ignore bees I guess but you either need bees or ic2 crops and they're both annoying in some way until you can afford genetic modification. IC2 crops are potentially less annoying once you get renewable glowstone and spider eyes (via a common plant for the former, a relatively easy ic2 crop for the latter) since you can make weed-ex from that and it turns out weed-ex does not hurt crops unless they have high Growth stat. With a crop matron spraying weedkiller you can actually set down crop sticks and walk away! Bee mutation and production can be automated too; it's harder in some ways to scale that up and easier in others... crops vs bees is a complicated matter. Doing both is viable too since some materials are easier to get one way or the other. Black Granite dust is important at one point and that's easiest to get via crops.

Also swamps are generally nice to settle in because slimes are easy to kill, have a good repeatable quest, and the various specialmobs slimes drop useful things (mostly).

Don't beeline for the healing axe. Eat all the food you can, the hearts really add up. Also, each food contributes based on saturation so don't expect tiny foods to give you many hearts (they DO count though)