Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Skwirl posted:

Because Marvel Films likes to kill villains. They made Agatha Harkness the big bad in WandaVision, and I mostly think of her as Franklin Richards first babysitter.

I also don't know who Battlestar is, but I'm going to be honest, outside of Nixon committing suicide and Reagan turning into a snake monster i don't know a lot about Captain America pre New Avengers and Brubaker's run.

Nope, they leave just as many antagonists alive as they do dead. Hell, Agatha’s still alive, and the latest Sam & Bucky ep even ends with them planning to visit an antagonist from a previous film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Well I'm happy they're showing the millenial globalists in a more positive light but I'm disappointed in Isaiah Bradley's reworked history. Also that scene was short and kind of unnecessarily wedged in so I hope they go deeper with that side plot. I know he'll show up again but it better be more than just "outa no where saves a guy, gives a stoic nod, and disappears forever, never to discuss broader implications again".

Oh and Battlestar and possibly even USAgent himself are gonna die, at least that's my earlier days left field prediction. Mephisto never showed up so I'm swinging the other way.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 27, 2021

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I haven't really read a lot of Invincible, so i was unaware than everyones basically just a version of a Marvel or DC character. It makes it feel a bit fanficy, though how much of comics is that?

That's a real problem with indie comics of a certain vintage. The creator wants to tell a story in a superhero universe, so they just file the serial numbers off of an existing one. Sometimes it works because the stories are distinctive and the copied versions can be established as their own characters (Astro City sometimes pulls this off, though it's not hard to find examples where it failed). Other times, especially in "What if Superman, but evil?" comics, the focus is on the narrative and it never really breaks away from those roots as they don't have anything to say beyond the one or two twists on the formula.

Invincible as a comic never felt like it broke away from the mold of ultraviolent version of existing heroes. Mark and the people immediately around him got better characterization, but a lot of the weight of the narrative wound up falling onto "Here's someone kind of like a character you already know!" It's not inherently bad, but it is derivative.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Invincible had a lot of problems but it's main problem was the usual Kirkman deal, he didn't know where to go with it. Hence the same thing happening, over and over.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There was a joke in an issue of walking dead once that was basically "if this goes past 100 issues you'll know we're totally creatively bankrupt ha ha" and now I associate Kirkman primarily with being creatively bankrupt and just milking his cash cow however he can.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Well I'm happy they're showing the millenial globalists in a more positive light but I'm disappointed in Isaiah Bradley's reworked history. Also that scene was short and kind of unnecessarily wedged in so I hope they go deeper with that side plot. I know he'll show up again but it better be more than just "outa no where saves a guy, gives a stoic nod, and disappears forever, never to discuss broader implications again".

I mean you gotta rework it a little bit. You're not going to cast someone like Lumbly in the role and then have him in the same state as Isaiah in the comics. You can still tell the same fundamental story and it seems they are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I mean you gotta rework it a little bit. You're not going to cast someone like Lumbly in the role and then have him in the same state as Isaiah in the comics. You can still tell the same fundamental story and it seems they are.

I think people have a problem with Isaiah not being the "original" Captain America in the MCU.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I think people have a problem with Isaiah not being the "original" Captain America in the MCU.

Well Isaiah was after Steve in the comics too, just not like 10 years after. He was right after Steve as a result of trying to recreate the super soldier serum.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Well Isaiah was after Steve in the comics too, just not like 10 years after. He was right after Steve as a result of trying to recreate the super soldier serum.

Wait, what? Am I mis-remembering because even in Young Avengers Eli calls Isaiah the "real Captain Ameria" and says they tested the serum on black soldiers before Steve.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Wait, what? Am I mis-remembering because even in Young Avengers Eli calls Isaiah the "real Captain Ameria" and says they tested the serum on black soldiers before Steve.

The book itself is a bit fuzzy on this, deliberately so I think. I believe the in-continuity version now goes: Erskine does the experiment on Steve that works, Steve is Cap. Erskine dies. The US Army wants more Captain Americas, so they give another defector the same codename (Reinstein) and they do the Tuskegee-esque experiments that result in Isaiah.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Isaiah enlisted after Pearl Harbor in the first issue. Steve was Cap well before Pearl Harbor.

EDIT: I went back to double check, yeah it was 1942 when he enlisted.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 27, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I guess it's been retconned

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah that's how I remember it going down in Red White and Black, I just assumed it was canon when I read Young Avengers.

X-O posted:

No that parts fine, preferable even, it's the fact that he wasn't an experimental precursor to Captain America that bugs me. The Tuskegee Airmen type origin hits harder because it points out how horribly racist we've always been instead of absolving the greatest generation and making it about possible mishandlings afterwards. I don't know, I'm probably being to hard on it, the 30 years in prison part is pretty harsh I just hope they expand on it a little.

The "is this guy bothering you" is great and I'm not looking for the whole narrative to be hijacked by deconstructing modern social issues by I hope they don't just imply some things and breeze over the details. Like right now they're at lefty (reverse?)dog whistle and I'd like a statement, just a little one that doesn't distract too much from my punch heroes.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 27, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i'm a little iffy on it myself but tbf the scene doesn't give any particulars on how he got the serum to say that it didn't happen like that. we'll have to wait and see

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

OnimaruXLR posted:

kinda weird how they managed to do bucky in live action so successfully and easily but there's still no modern version of Robin that works outside of the memetic value of "gently caress Batman"

Robin still has a lot of baggage attached to him in the public eye and DC is convinced that people only want the serious brooding loner version of Batman (completely missing the point of a great deal of his history), so that's what we get.

I have grown tired of brooding longer Batman. I would kill for a decent Batfamily film. :sigh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
gently caress it, skip Robin and give us a solo Nightwing film.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its interesting now that the MCU is diving deep into the teenage hero thing to see how all of that plays out. Like the whole Tony/Peter dynamic was Tony trying to dad him. Do you just repeat that with Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel, Cassie/Scott, Kate/Hawkeye, Eli/Bucky&Sam, etc? Or do you just embrace kids risking their lives and use the general post Blip state of things to excuse why there's no Tony or Cap to come in and try and stop it? Or do you let it hit critical mass and then drop the mutants bomb and make it just something that can't be stopped? I'm curious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

STAC Goat posted:

Its interesting now that the MCU is diving deep into the teenage hero thing to see how all of that plays out. Like the whole Tony/Peter dynamic was Tony trying to dad him. Do you just repeat that with Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel, Cassie/Scott, Kate/Hawkeye, Eli/Bucky&Sam, etc? Or do you just embrace kids risking their lives and use the general post Blip state of things to excuse why there's no Tony or Cap to come in and try and stop it? Or do you let it hit critical mass and then drop the mutants bomb and make it just something that can't be stopped? I'm curious.

The next series coming out is Hawkeye/The Better Hawkeye, so there's definitely gonna be that Kate Clint thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

The next series coming out is Hawkeye/The Better Hawkeye, so there's definitely gonna be that Kate Clint thing.

The next series is Loki in June.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The series after that.

Looking forward to Loki.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think What If airs first.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

I think we can all agree that at least there won't be any Kids in Loki.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Medullah posted:

I think we can all agree that at least there won't be any Kids in Loki.

What about Kid Loki?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I'm just curious if it becomes the new "formula".

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

The next series coming out is Hawkguy/The Better Hawkeye, so there's definitely gonna be that Kate Clint thing.
Fixed that for you.

:thejoke:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

We ain't getting Kid Loki until Tom Hiddleston says he won't play Loki anymore.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rhyno posted:

Well I guess it's been retconned

It was Truth: Red, White and Black that placed him in 1942. Patriot's version of events is intentionally unreliable narrator territory.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
does captain america comics get retconned because that says steve gets the serum in 41, and t:rwb says bradley's platoon is experimented on in 42

e: posting this here cuz it feels like this will be relevant to our expectations for f&ws

https://twitter.com/SeanLikeConnery/status/1375690759240880130?s=20

site fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 28, 2021

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I think some people are expecting waaaaay too much from a miniseries about The Falcon becoming Captain America.

A talking coyote fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 28, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
someone was just saying the same thing to me elsewhere and the thing is, by using that character, from that particular book, they're inviting criticism into how badly they drop the ball with it (or don't)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

does captain america comics get retconned because that says steve gets the serum in 41, and t:rwb says bradley's platoon is experimented on in 42

e: posting this here cuz it feels like this will be relevant to our expectations for f&ws

https://twitter.com/SeanLikeConnery/status/1375690759240880130?s=20

The son of Michael Sheen came from "independent film"?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

A talking coyote posted:

I think some people are expecting waaaaay too much from a miniseries about The Falcon becoming Captain America.

Well wandavision was about the trauma of the holocaust or something deep like that

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Well wandavision was about the trauma of the holocaust or something deep like that

Wandavision was definitely not about the holocaust.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

that would be weird since michael is younger than emilio and also british

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

A talking coyote posted:

I don't think so. The show is already delivering on some of the exact sort of commentary that people are expecting to see. The question is whether they'll flinch about these topics at the last minute.

And I think it's unfair to base expectations on this show on a whole other show, particularly since the FATWS showrunner is generally spinning a very different picture about how willing the show is going to be about tackling these issues.

"We don't blink. It is Sam's journey. There's no way to hide that Sam as a Black man, and we'd be dishonest if we did. The Marvel fans have proven post-Black Panther and Captain Marvel that they're very willing to go on these rides and deal with stuff that substance. And so we went right at it."

"It was why I wanted this series, because I’m Black. I knew it was a huge opportunity. I knew it was such a timely story. Sam not taking the shield is as timely and relevant to what’s going on in the world today as almost anything you’re gonna see on the news. So for me, it was crucial. I fought hard to get it."

“He heard what I wanted to do, that I wanted [race] to be part of the story very prominently, and I think he knew it was right,” Spellman says of the Black executive.

(It does suck for Estevez that he had to fight for this and maybe get rebuked, though. I think a Mighty Ducks show is just as appropriate a place to have this conversation as an MCU show)

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 28, 2021

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Skwirl posted:

Wandavision was definitely not about the holocaust.

https://forward.com/culture/465122/is-disneys-wandavision-a-story-of-intergenerational-holocaust-trauma/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

He's talking about the current Mighty Ducks series.

The last mainstream thing he did (besides 1 offs on Two and a Half Men and The West Wing) was... Mighty Ducks 3.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Martin Sheen, you know what I meant.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

site posted:

He meant Martin but it's still a dumb thing because why would being the son of a famous actor mean you can't make indie movies? Emilio hasn't exactly been running around making hundred million dollar studio movies for the past twenty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Skwirl posted:

Martin Sheen is pretty famously a vocal activist for social justice, so it's not really shocking that his son would take up that mantle.